Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 23rd July 2011, 17:13   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Advice needed on Mitsubishi Montero

Can any of the owners compare the cost of maintainence between a Montero and a Pajero?
This query comes up to my mind because, the authorised service staff have been recommending me not to own a Montero as the cost of maintaining one is astronomical compared to Pajero. An example quoted by one of the staff was the comparision of the price of the clutch, which cost Rs 19000 and Rs123000 for Pajero and Montero respectively.
susan3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 11:27   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Can any of the owners compare the cost of maintainence between a Montero and a Pajero?
This query comes up to my mind because, the authorised service staff have been recommending me not to own a Montero as the cost of maintaining one is astronomical compared to Pajero. An example quoted by one of the staff was the comparision of the price of the clutch, which cost Rs 19000 and Rs123000 for Pajero and Montero respectively.

Susan3004 montero is a CBU vehicle AFAIK and hence the prices of majority of the components / spares would be higher and they would be time consuming to procure for certain parts that are not readily available. Pajero parts are available in plenty and at reasonable cost in comparison to the Montero. The Pajero parts can also be procured from Aftermarket in major cities. This is why you can get a used Montero at almost half of its intial cost after a couple of years of use.
aquavelva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 12:17   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

2008 new generation (facelifted) Montero automatic transmission with 47k km on odo going for 27L. Is this a reasonable price?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 12:26   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
2008 new generation (facelifted) Montero automatic transmission with 47k km on odo going for 27L. Is this a reasonable price?

A Montero with a lesser quoted price is on sale in the Classifieds Section

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-.../Montero.html/
aquavelva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 12:35   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^ Thanks for the link. It's a manual transmission. Have messaged seller to check it out.
Old 25th July 2011, 16:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller
Hi sir, I think 22-23 will be an ideal price for a 2008 Montero. Anything over 50% of its value for 3 year old Mitsubishi is on a higher side. But that's MHO. Bargain HARD. Say all bad things about the car to reduce price, flop model hai, parts nahi milte, humaaare ilawa koi nahi kharidega, and blah blah ....lolzzz. If its with a dealer, quote a price and wait for 2-3 days. Backing off in such a car gives nightmares to dealers, believe me. You can get it for under 25 easily.

whats with 2 cars on carwale. Is it one of them.

Sorry couldn't reply to your PM, was a little busy. Will do today..
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 16:07   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^ Yes, it's one of the CarWale ads - dealer from CP.
Old 25th July 2011, 16:22   #23
BHPian

With greater electronics comes greater costs and bigger headaches. An 18 to 20 lac montero in my opinion is still a better choice than a captiva/pajero/outlander as it will be a better vehicle

Buy any prestige car after 1996 and factor in a annual maintenance cost of 4 to 8 percent of its original sticker price. start at 4% with the japs and go upto 8% with the germans

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Which sets me thinking, is the Montero really a worthy successor of the Pajero? It is not reliable, upkeep is expensive, and spares are an issue too.

Coming to the vehicles mentioned Doc, I wouldn't touch an import with barge pole unless I had a second vehicle for my daily duties and quite some spare cash with me as well.

Are you looking for this as a replacement to your Hawk on Fours or as a second car?

Also, why pay 18-22l for a used Montero when you can get, say, a sparingly used Captiva/Pajero/Outlander for the same price which will more or less do the same duties?
53BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 11:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

If going above 20L, I would get either the Pajero or the Fortuner.

Pajero
Pro : Minimal electronics, bulletproof engine, excellent visibility, reasonable spare costs, at least if procured in Metros from direct importers.
Con : Not suitable for high speed highway runs, indifferent FE (9 - 10)
Usage : more suitable for hills and very bad roads than highways & plains

Fortuner
Pro : Toyota reliability, great highway cruiser
Con : Harsh ride and lower visibility
Usage : Good all rounder

In my pinion a second hand SUV especially a CBU is expensive to maintain. If you want the prestige get a new one.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 12:15   #25
BHPian

The most credible report on any vehicle is that of a owner. To this end the ownership experience of @jyobeb is worth a read. It is much more informative than anything based on hearsay.

This is the thread in question -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...i-montero.html (MY new steed, 2007 Mitsubishi Montero)
RS_DEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 17:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Bumping this thread. Anyone have a clue what a 2009 and 2010 montero "automatic" run between 50k to a 100k km worth?
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 22:50   #27

@cannonball. I am proudly obsessed with Montero and have just picked up a well looked after Montero of 2008 model authentically clocked 66K. Gonna be penning my debut review of this love affair shortly. I have scouted out for this breed across India for almost a year and half, and my views are deduced from there. AFAIK auto does not command a price premium in used Montero market. North and South markets are pole apart in pricing. Give me a little more info about where you wish to pick up this bush breed beauty, I will be glad to chime in my two cents.
antiphyzix is offline   Reply With Quote