Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 22nd January 2010, 19:28   #1
BHPian

Default Which MUV????

I am looking out for an MUV for my parents. The requirements (in order of preference) are
1) Comfort
2) Safety
3) Economical to run and maintain
Performance is not really a criteria as I have a diesel pocket rocket (read the Swift Vdi) to cater to my need for speed.
My folks wanted to go for a Nano but since my sister is also coming to stay closer to home, I convinced them for an MUV for the two families to travel together in a single car rather than pick two everytime.
The vehicle will be chauffeur driven in the city. I would however want good highway manners for occasional family holidays in the hills.

Right now I am considering the Grande MK II, Xylo and would be taking a test drive shortly. Just wanted to know what things to keep mind during the test drive of these two vehicles. I am not used to driving big cars like these and am not sure as to how to judge cars like these in a test drive.
Also I saw the Tata Venture in the AutoExpo. But was not sure of the safety in the car because the short crumple zone. Anyone having idea of the safety in this car and tentative launch date?
The budget maxs out at 8 lac on road ( was tough to convince parents of even this much).
kapss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 19:41   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Venture is pretty much magic with glass windows and a strong roof.

At your budget - check out the Xylo
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 19:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

At your budget - check out the Xylo

+1 for the Tata Venture, shd be a good one i guess
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 20:22   #4
BHPian

Quote:
I am quite ok with the looks as long as the vehicle is sturdy and servers the purpose. I am just a little apprehensive about the safety since there is pratically no crumple zone. Is the venture crash tested and certified? You mention the strong roof. Is that for safety in case of toppling.
Old 23rd January 2010, 00:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have 8L, you are royally wasting your time with an untested Tata "passenger carrier" based on a rural platform.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 01:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you are not in a hurry, wait for the Tata car. Else, buy the Xylo. Its better than the Grande.
Anand123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 02:20   #7
BHPian

Quote:
If you have 8L, you are royally wasting your time with an untested Tata "passenger carrier" based on a rural platform.
I was under the impression that Venture is based on the Winger platform with reduced wheelbase and not the ace/magic platform. Please correct me if i am wrong. I do understand that with 8 lac, i can go for a Xylo or Grande variant instead of the Venture. Its just that i donot mind saving on some of that money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
If you are not in a hurry, wait for the Tata car. Else, buy the Xylo. Its better than the Grande.
I have to buy the car by March end. I also got to know that there are normally good discounts at the end of the financial year.
Can you please elaborate when you say that the Xylo is better than the Grande? That might help me with my decision.
Old 23rd January 2010, 08:08   #8
BHPian

1. IMHO if you can stretch your budget go for the Innova.

2. Please make sure that when you go for a test drive take your parents with you. The vehicles chosen by you are not known to have great ingress.

3. Xylo is any day better than the Grande because of the third row seats are better
and it is more akin to a family car
Gautam Misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 08:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

1) Tata Venture, why are you even considering this car ? Its nothing but Magic, i.e. Ace with passenger body. I doubt if its as safe as a modern car. There is no protection ahead of driver, and about the crash test results I doubt about any ratings being available.

2) If you budget for Xylo, go for it. Its much safer than Veture and space, comfort is also much better. Xylo is known for good space and comfort. To the best of my knowledge, Xylo does not have side impact beams, but then its overall a good car.

3) If you can stretch you budget, Innova is the best car you can buy. Its got everything you want.

IMHO, if you can afford, go for Innova or else zero in for Xylo. Dont consider Omni/Venture.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2010, 11:37   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
If you can stretch you budget, Innova is the best car you can buy. Its got everything you want.

IMHO, if you can afford, go for Innova or else zero in for Xylo.
If I could stretch my budget, then there would not really be any questions, as then it would be the Innova. I love the car, but unfortunately, i cant afford it right now.
I like the Xylo too. But as it happens, one of my uncles had a sumo Victa and my father has used that car on a couple of occasions and is quite a fan of the Sumo's ride. Hence the consideration for the Grande MK II.
Old 24th January 2010, 12:55   #11
BHPian

I have put in a request for a test drive at the Tata site for the Grande Mk II. 3 days now and not even a call from any Tata dealer to fix up any date for the test drive . If this is the attitude now, I dont know wat its going to be like after the purchase.
Old 24th January 2010, 13:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I have put in a request for a test drive at the Tata site for the Grande Mk II. 3 days now and not even a call from any Tata dealer to fix up any date for the test drive . If this is the attitude now, I dont know wat its going to be like after the purchase.
Lot of this attributes to the 'usual crowd' Tata Dealers do business with, be patient and get your TD done.
On MUV front I think Xylo fits the requirements although Grande MKII seems ok.
PowerTrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 13:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Don't waste your time there. its not worth .Get a Xylo its cool.
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 13:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapss View Post
I am looking out for an MUV for my parents. The requirements (in order of preference) are
1) Comfort
2) Safety
3) Economical to run and maintain
Performance is not really a criteria as I have a diesel pocket rocket (read the Swift Vdi) to cater to my need for speed.
Going by your preferences. The Xyo is a comfortable MUV with a heck a lot of space.
Safety, well, the MUV does not come with side impact beams. You could consider buying the E8 with ABS and Air bags. This will not fit in your budget.
E4 and E6 are the options for your budget.
Its quite easy on the pocket. Trust me, I have a E6 clocked 15K now.
Its quite a performer too provided you knwo how to take the corners right.
All the best. Test drive both the Grande and Xylo and see what suits you best.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 01:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
You could consider buying the E8 with ABS and Air bags. This will not fit in your budget.
I too would have preferred having ABS. I currently drive a Swift Vdi with ABS and find it very useful. Sad that ABS is considered as an accessory and bundled with stuff like music systems and lcd's on the top variant alone. Ideally, it should be optional across all variants on all classes of vehicles.

Are there ways to improve braking with any aftermarket fitments? I know fatter rubber will help. Anything apart from that?

By the way, not heard from any Tata Dealer yet. Maybe I'll try my luck with Mahindra first.