Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 16:45   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gurgaon , now in Guwahati
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Wink CJ 640 a first one on team bhp

A childhood dream of owning a jeep / gypsy is there in every youngster, as my father was in the Indian armed forces we were born and brought up with jeeps, jongas and gypsies would love to sit in them when ever got the chance.
Days went and then years could see the jongas getting phased out next were the jeeps and the sole army vehicle was a gypsy. Had a lot of inclination towards it after test driving the new MPFI way back in 2000 as they had just introduced the same in the Indian armed forces, post completing my post graduation from Symbiosis (SIMS) Pune , got placed in the telecom organization in Assam sector .

The location was Guwahati, was a bit scared in the initial stages as the area was a bit disturbed with bomb blasts happening every now and then. But slowly the things changed and never knew that my childhood dream would come true in this part of India.
I had been a constant visitor of the Team BHP forum from my Engineering days as most of the members would be a great inspiration for actually building an army disposal Jeep / Gypsy and going through each and every thread would inspire me too. But not having enough spare time and local contacts for actually building one for myself.

Next was a visit to Shillong (Better known as the Scotland of East or the Rock capital of India) and as soon as I crossed the border believe me every second or third vehicle you would see would be a jeep, some were very rickety but still having the will to go on and some would be a bit modified and living there own good spirit of jeeping.
Shillong was the place for me once reaching the city you would hear loud rock music and come across many good looking Jeeps and Gypsies some in bright color and some in new look and a few restored to the originals with parts actually sourced from London or self manufactured .

A lot many MB,CJ 3B ,MM 550 /540 and a few jongas also. After doing intense research for 2 years was inclined towards the Maruti Suzuki Gypsy with a diesel implant but again there were lot many complications involved at the same time my mind was jumping from here to there as in the choice of the vehicle now was a army disposal MM 550 buying a scrap and building the same like a wrangler with the help of a few friends in Shillong but the budget was a big factor as I had not even completed 2 years of my work and the other factor was my father being totally against the idea of me buying a jeep / gypsy so could not even ask from him for some help . Visiting Team BHP every day at least seeing other members vehicle getting transformed to a beautiful machine, seasons changed so did the time and one fine day one of my friend who use to give me all the know how about the different aspects of a jeep and had already build a few jeeps and gypsies told me that he is willing to sell his CJ 640 (only model which was introduced by Mahindra having the utility of a pickup, very few were build) , which he had converted to a SWB along with all the goodies of alloy wheels , disc brakes etc and the best part was it had only done 5000 km post the engine was overhauled . Now at this time I also had gather the money to buy a Vehicle and was nothing better than fulfilling my child hood dream. Before even seeing the vehicle I had said that I would buy it no matter what , he send me pictures of the same and one day before Diwali 2009 we had fixed the deal .
Was involved with lot of work so could only bring down the jeep in December first week since then have been taking care of the same as my baby . Post the New Year even told my parents about it and after seeing the pictures they were quite impressed. After all these year of viewing the site and learning would like to share the experiences and the images of the vehicle with all the elite members of the forum

A few details of the jeep are as given under

Engine Peugeot 640

Model 1988
Originally a pick up truck Mahindra and Mahindra family
Cut chassis

New tub with willys grill and rear door of a jeep

Tire are MRF wanderer


Colour Matt sand and Black windscreen (Similar as the Icon Dog


4 X 4 removed the engine it self has enough torque to conquer any thing

Feel free to give in your comments , thanks to the moderators to accept me as a member and appoving the thread in advance
Attached are a few images for you guys
Attached Thumbnails
CJ 640 a first one on team bhp-12042010.jpg  

CJ 640 a first one on team bhp-09042010002.jpg  

CJ 640 a first one on team bhp-09042010003.jpg  

CJ 640 a first one on team bhp-09042010005.jpg  


Last edited by Jaggu : 12th April 2010 at 18:49. Reason: Restrict to 2 smilies per post and also this section is for 4x4 vehicles and not for 4x2's. Thanks
Abhishek.Mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 18:22   #2
BHPian
 
mail2abhi83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 42
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Nice !

Hi Bud !

I see a very decent body work, the exteriors look clean. Could you share the specs of the Engine please?

Thats a nice machine you got there. But highly recommend to have a 4X4 in terrains of Assam, also you would have loads of opportunity to Off-Road across the country side.

Also, as Arka Says. if its not 4X4, its a Peep, not a Jeep

Regds
Abhi
mail2abhi83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 19:09   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gurgaon , now in Guwahati
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hey, thanks for the comment,and yup for the 4 x 4 will start work on the same as soon as i get time and as soon as i shift my base back to delhi/gurgaon.
As far as the engine is conserned its a peugot diesel and the model was a DP 640 so as per the internet it has 72 horse power in it , and the initial gears are slow but 3rd and 4th are extremely powerful and are known to touch 110 but the ride becomes a bit jerky
Cheers mate
Abhishek.Mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 21:06   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alappuzha
Posts: 249
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
As far as the engine is conserned its a peugot diesel and the model was a DP 640 so as per the internet it has 72 horse power in it , and the initial gears are slow but 3rd and 4th are extremely powerful and are known to touch 110 but the ride becomes a bit jerky
Friend, the engine is a Peugeot XD3P IDI, the same one which was used in Bolero GLX And now SLX 4Wd. Get back the 4X4 working as soon as possible and you have a mean machine ready to take whatever uin it's way!Again the fit and finish of your Jeep looks quite good( as per Jeep standards)
Ashley Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 21:14   #5
BHPian
 
pradipk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 216
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Hey really nice looking jeep. As already suggested, go for 4X4 conversion. BTW fuel tank cap looks cool. I guess it's of Pulsar?

Pradip.
pradipk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 10:57   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gurgaon , now in Guwahati
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
Friend, the engine is a Peugeot XD3P IDI, the same one which was used in Bolero GLX And now SLX 4Wd. Get back the 4X4 working as soon as possible and you have a mean machine ready to take whatever uin it's way!Again the fit and finish of your Jeep looks quite good( as per Jeep standards)
Thanks mate for the inputs regarding the engine specs ,i have tried searching the net regarding the model dp 640 it seems to be a pickup version ,is there any difference in 340 and 640 as the later one was meant for picking loads instead on people? N yup except for 4x4 rest everything is done to d standards n 4x4 will be cuming shortly
Abhishek.Mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 15:51   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gurgaon , now in Guwahati
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Hey really nice looking jeep. As already suggested, go for 4X4 conversion. BTW fuel tank cap looks cool. I guess it's of Pulsar?

Pradip.
yup mate that is of a pulsar
Abhishek.Mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 23:09   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alappuzha
Posts: 249
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
dp 640 it seems to be a pickup version ,is there any difference in 340 and 640 as the later one was meant for picking loads instead on people?
Friend, sorry for providing wrong information. Your engine is not XD3P but it is Pegeout XDP 4.90 IDI pumping out 62 bhp and 112 Nm of torque.The 640 is a Jeep with elongated chassis(long wheel base) and M&M's intention was to prooduce a sturdy people mover.Offcourse, M&M had a pick up version of the 640 but your Jeep is not that defenitely.The 340 range shares the same engine but with short wheel base.

Last edited by Ashley Nair : 20th April 2010 at 23:12.
Ashley Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 16:26   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gurgaon , now in Guwahati
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
Friend, sorry for providing wrong information. Your engine is not XD3P but it is Pegeout XDP 4.90 IDI pumping out 62 bhp and 112 Nm of torque.The 640 is a Jeep with elongated chassis(long wheel base) and M&M's intention was to prooduce a sturdy people mover.Offcourse, M&M had a pick up version of the 640 but your Jeep is not that defenitely.The 340 range shares the same engine but with short wheel base.
thanxs Ashley , but as per my RC it says NC 640 DP and going over the net got a picture of one as attached below

and again confused how can be the power source of 340 and 640 can be the same (sorry have less of knowlegde and thanks for brushing my knowlegde )

would ask the previous owner to provide the images of the orignal jeep in case he has

cheers !!!
Attached Images
 
Abhishek.Mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 07:33   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Hey Abhishek, thats a good Jeep you got. But it looks like a CL340. Have you checked the chassis / engine no. with the RC as the picture makes it a MWB vehicle whereas yours is SWB
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 08:26   #11
BHPian
 
rahultomahawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Thane
Posts: 175
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

hi Abhi,
nicely done jeep , even i am new to this forum and hope to learn from all its members.as suggested by other members please get the 4x4 system working it really helps .liked the fuel filler you used.
rahultomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 12:50   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gurgaon , now in Guwahati
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Hey Abhishek, thats a good Jeep you got. But it looks like a CL340. Have you checked the chassis / engine no. with the RC as the picture makes it a MWB vehicle whereas yours is SWB
bro , as said in the post 1 , it is a cut chassis job and the tub is sourced from a different jeep if you look from side it look smaller than the normal jeep would post the pics of the chassis if required (From where it has been rewelded)
Abhishek.Mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 21:01   #13
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alappuzha
Posts: 249
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
and again confused how can be the power source of 340 and 640 can be the same
Friend, M&M had three engines(except the Turbo 2.6Di and subsequent CRDIs) for their Jeep range. They are the XD3P(72 BHP,155Nm of torque), XDP 4.90 (62 BHP,112Nm), MDI3200(Direct Injection,63BHP, 180Nm, which is an upgraded version of MDI3000/2350).XDP4.90 was used in CL340, Commander soft top and hard top, MM540, Classic, 640, Armada etc.This engine has enough torque available in low rpms, suited for both offroading and hauling loads. Hence the same came on pucca offroaders like Cl340 and on workhorses like 640.It's reliable to the core. Even now the Bolero SLE, SLX and Mahindra pic-ups share the same MDI 3200Turbo and with different gear ratios the same engine is used for cruising and for hauling.Also remember that the Tata407 engine is used in 207 pick up and Sumo Spacio!
P.S: I don't think ur Jeep is a 340 since the 340s had rounded fenders.
Ashley Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 14:30   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gurgaon , now in Guwahati
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
Friend, M&M had three engines(except the Turbo 2.6Di and subsequent CRDIs) for their Jeep range. They are the XD3P(72 BHP,155Nm of torque), XDP 4.90 (62 BHP,112Nm), MDI3200(Direct Injection,63BHP, 180Nm, which is an upgraded version of MDI3000/2350).XDP4.90 was used in CL340, Commander soft top and hard top, MM540, Classic, 640, Armada etc.This engine has enough torque available in low rpms, suited for both offroading and hauling loads. Hence the same came on pucca offroaders like Cl340 and on workhorses like 640.It's reliable to the core. Even now the Bolero SLE, SLX and Mahindra pic-ups share the same MDI 3200Turbo and with different gear ratios the same engine is used for cruising and for hauling.Also remember that the Tata407 engine is used in 207 pick up and Sumo Spacio!
P.S: I don't think ur Jeep is a 340 since the 340s had rounded fenders.
thanks ashley for the inputs , finally doubts cleared mate , i checked the RC it says the machine was never a 4 X 4 but was a 2 WD , have asked the previous owner to find the orignal images as i could only find one on the net the model is NC 640 DP
Abhishek.Mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2010, 14:12   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gurgaon , now in Guwahati
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Upgrading

Kept this baby in the classified , going in for an upgrade
If interested kindly visit the classified
thanks again
Abhishek.Mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its users! GTO The Indian Car Scene 2624 21st November 2017 04:27
Office Firewall blocks Team-BHP - Proxying Team-BHP? shreeks Gadgets, Computers & Software 29 16th November 2017 04:54
Mumbai gets its first Murcielago LP 640 (With Pics & Video) S600BENZ Super-Cars & Imports in India 88 6th June 2014 18:49
DVD RW burner for Dell Inspiron 1405/640 M ? abhijitaparadh Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 19th June 2008 01:52
Ultima GTR-640! Fastest accelerating and decelerating production car Gordon The International Automotive Scene 3 4th August 2005 19:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:20.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks