Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 6th June 2010, 21:47   #1

Default Buying a Safari

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and have been gorging the loads of information provided by the hyperactive members. Thanks to the inputs, my test drives have been more effective.. I am planning to buy a SUV.. with the budget constraints, I guess I am left with two options.. Safari or Scorpio..

I test drove both and here are my observations..

Scorpio -

Before the test drive I was leaning towards the Scorpio.. thanks to its looks.. The test drive, I should say was a disappointment.. The car was not comfortable at all.. The driver seat is too cramped with hardly any space to move about. It was like, I was stuck to the door. Even to adjust the seat position, I had to shift my body.. The seats were not too comfortable too.. The gear transmission was very rough.. I had to struggle to slot the gear in its position.. The machine did respond, when I tried pressing the peddle. Acceleration was pretty good.

Safari -

I was neutral to Safari when I went for the test drive. The seats (both front & middle) were very comfortable with adequate leg room. gear transmission was pretty alright.. I had to struggle with the third gear for which the sales man responded saying - one round of tuning will fix it.. The car did well in the acceleration department too.. Braking was excellent..

This test drive was enough to make me decide on Safari.. My confusion is on the model to buy.. Should I go for a Ex with 4x4 or a GX with 4x4..?

GX offers ABS, leather & Cloth uphostry (which I dont care much about) and reverse sensors (which can be fitted on a Ex too)..

Can you pl help me in the following..

1. Choosing the model
2. Accessories that should be taken
3. Things to look for while purchasing the car
4. Typical problems faced in the safari purchase process
5. Any other important factor I need to bother about..

Thanks
shaksboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 23:08   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaksboss View Post
Can you pl help me in the following..

1. Choosing the model
2. Accessories that should be taken
3. Things to look for while purchasing the car
4. Typical problems faced in the safari purchase process
5. Any other important factor I need to bother about..

Thanks

1) GX 4x4 would be a good choice
2) Safari GX is fully loaded, dont worry about accessories.
3) A simple PDI as per T-BHP list will do good
4) Cant say much on this, of the recent purchases by few known friends, the QC has improved with TATA's
5) Buy the car and just enjoy clocking unlimited, fatigue free drives. Dont forget the extended warranty.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 09:21   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I feel EX is a better choice since it has airbags and GX doesn't. These days our highways have become so dangerous due to many morons behind wheels of trucket etc. Even if you are a cautious driver, there is always the trucker who will turn into your lane in the last moment when you are trying to overtake him at 120+. I feel airbags are a pre-requisite for a touring car in India now. If you don't care about airbags, then GX 4x4 is a good value bet.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 09:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

1. Choosing the model : What is your budget? If budget permits, go for the VX.

2. Accessories that should be taken: If EX or LX, get a reverse sensor / camera at the earliest. Reversing this vehicle without one is a risk.

3. Things to look for while purchasing the car: Use the PDI checklist, as mentioned by Pavan.

4. Typical problems faced in the safari purchase process: No problem that you will face just because you are buying a Safari. You will face the regular run around and delays as with any dealer and any make you buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I feel EX is a better choice since it has airbags and GX doesn't...
Reckon a typo; its the VX, and not the EX, which has airbags.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 7th June 2010 at 09:42.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 11:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Default Which variant

It completely depends on your budget. If it permits, go in for a VX 4x4 wherein you will get Airbags, VCD player, and of course the 4WD advantage. If you are not too keen on 4x4, then you can save around 60-65 K I guess.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 11:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

in the Safari, ABS is a must IMHO hence you should look at the GX or, budget permitting VX.

teh Safari is the most comfortable vehicle you can buy in India at any proce point (this is not an exaggeration and I am saying this based on personal experience and am factoring in vehicles like the Audi Q7 and the Merc E-class). the only trouble with the Safari is the inconsistent quality which is a Tata trait. if you are lucky to get a relatively niggle free piece, then you will surely love this beast or else will tear your hair out in frustration (I had experienced a bit of both in the two years that i owned a Safari).
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 11:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

There are 7 variants.
4X4 (EX,GX,VX)
4X2 ( LX,EX,GX,VX)

So it all depends on your budget, If budget is not an issue go for VX 4X4 .
GX gives you ABS and reverse sensors , So go for GX if there you are slightly tight on budget but need 4X4 and ABS.

In case for some reason you do not want 4X4.

Go for either LX 4X2 or GX/VX 4X2 depending on budget there is no particular advantage in EX 4X2 justifying 1 lakh extra over LX 4X2.

If your budget is limited and you need 4X4 then EX 4X4 is the choice ( there is no LX 4X4 unfortunately )
amitk26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 12:19   #8
BHPian

shaksboss, I am also in the same boat as you but in the other direction. I have the same need and budget and hence the same 2 options.

I have always been much more inclined to the Safari and have even taken test drives but, have not yet narrowed down as I also want to check the Scorpio out.

For a price 1+ lakh lesser, the Scorpio VLX gives you Airbags/4x4/ABS. That is a major factor in my decision (wheneevr that will be)
But if you are keen on a Safari, go for the VX 4x4 - or atleast the GX 4x4. You never know when you might need the 4 wheel drive but you also get ABS and 2 tone colours.

Why the hell can't Tata/Mahindra give airbags as optional on ALL variants? I would pick a GX 4x4 and add airbags and still be cheaper than the VX whose stupid DVD screens/reverse camera etc do not interest me in the least.
Abhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 12:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
There are 7 variants.
4X4 (EX,GX,VX)
4X2 ( LX,EX,GX,VX)
Very well summarized Amit

On a side note - there is one more variant - the Safari Petrol (called the EX I believe). I understand it is still available on order, not sure of the engine specs though.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 13:44   #10
R_R
BHPian

Remember that there is supposedly a new Safari coming out in the next few months-one year or so. On the other hand, new Tata vehicles tend to have more niggles, so . . .

Among the current variants, the GX 4x4 seems the best: has all the required bells and whistles, most imprtantly the ABS. I did'nt like the dual-tone color scheme, and the half-leather seats, but these are relatively minor issues.

Ultimately, I did'nt buy the Safari, but this was my sense when I was considering it.
R_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 13:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_R View Post
Remember that there is supposedly a new Safari coming out in the next few months-one year or so. On the other hand, new Tata vehicles tend to have more niggles, so . . .

Among the current variants, the GX 4x4 seems the best: has all the required bells and whistles, most imprtantly the ABS. I did'nt like the dual-tone color scheme, and the half-leather seats, but these are relatively minor issues.

Ultimately, I did'nt buy the Safari, but this was my sense when I was considering it.
The so called new Safari is probably due in the later half of 2012 (as told by a Tata higher-up R&D guy)
As for dual tones on the GX, it is available in a single colour scheme too. The irk that I have is that the beige seems to dirty too soon. But anyway you look at it, GX 4x4 makes a wee bit more sense IMHO.
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 14:29   #12
R_R
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
The so called new Safari is probably due in the later half of 2012 (as told by a Tata higher-up R&D guy)
As for dual tones on the GX, it is available in a single colour scheme too. The irk that I have is that the beige seems to dirty too soon. But anyway you look at it, GX 4x4 makes a wee bit more sense IMHO.
Agree with you on the beige interior, but I think the GX now comes with a different dark color interior, as in the VX, but there are still some beige areas and they are likely to be difficult to keep clean. One test vehicle I drove was extremely grimy inside, and it had beige interiors. Could'nt believe that the dealer would keep a dedicated test vehicle so dirty.

Will take your word on the new Safari; I was just going by general rumours on this forum.
R_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 14:45   #13
BHPian

If you like biege then go for it.

I have had a biege interior car (not Safari) for the past 3 years and the interiors still look new like. Even the biege colored foot mats (carpet top) is not bad with only a few patches.
What I do is, every year I do a complete interior cleaning with either 3M or Mequiars. Also if a stain occurs I go to the same guys and work on that in less than 10 days. It will not cost you much as well. It costs you anything between 1500 - 2000 depending on the vendor / products. Its worth the cost.

But lately I have developed a liking for all black interiors. I guess I have got bored with the biege ones in my cedia. This is nothing to do with the maintenance of biege.
Car&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 15:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideon View Post
You mean the X2 based Safari? What else did he tell you? Please do share with us.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 15:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

If, at all you decide to go for a 4x2 Safari. Then, my suggestion would be, leave Safari and go for Grande MKII it as a whole is a VFM package with front facing 3 rows and is having a Safari (comparable) power + redesigned gear ratios for city. IMO, Safari lacks in city driving. It has lower gear ratios(1st&2nd) and feels abit 'uncommon' sometimes.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote