Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 4th August 2010, 09:56   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
You can improve the ride dynamics by either changing the leafs to CFL (Costs about 25k IIRC) or changing the shockers to Bilstein.

Either of the mod job will nullify your warranty on the whole suspension.Please do keep that in mind.
Maybe not! Atleast for the Bilsteins. They take 30 minutes to take off! You can then go Dealer bashing with the stock (pathetic) shocks.
josepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 17:31   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Yes he is talking about the ride quality in general.I guess CFL should take care of it,but any idea how much it costs?
CFLs can be either of the stiffer or softer varieties. So, the CFLs will either make the ride stiffer (you will feel the road more rough or harsh, but with lesser swaying and bobbing/secondary oscillations), or if you install the softer ones, you will get the opposite effect. The first of these effects can be achieved by adding an extra leaf in the leaf spring. The second effect can be obtained by removing a leaf (not advisable to run for long or with high load in this case).

After using the Bolero for a couple of months, and only if the need is felt for improvement, your friend can decide whether he prefers a stiffer or softer suspension, by either adding or removing a leaf for a short / trial duration. This will work out much cheaper than rightaway investing around 20 k on the CFLs without coming to know the ride preference (adding a leaf costs just around 2 k for the pair). If he is more comfortable with the added leaf, it's BIG savings. If he wants it softer, then the softer CFL can be looked at as the permanent fix. Just my opinion
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 21:41   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
Maybe not! Atleast for the Bilsteins. They take 30 minutes to take off! You can then go Dealer bashing with the stock (pathetic) shocks.

Jose how much will the Bilsteins cost?
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 22:24   #49

Smile Still confused in deciding my buy- Help Required

Hi Guys,

Read thru the thread about Bolero/Xylo, but still i am not clear to decide.

My requirements are
  • It will be mostly driven by my father (56 years old). Though he has driven Bolero (provided by his office) and he says he is fine with it, i think for our own purchase, its better to compare with other cars and decide.
  • He should be able to drive to his office as well as to our farm in a village (30 kms from home).
  • Roads overall he would be driving will be combination of good(50%), bad(35%) and no roads(15%). Trafficwise 70% with out traffice and 30% will be inside the city. Location - Tirunelveli(Tamil Nadu) and suburbs.
  • Fuel ecomony is important for us. Inputs from current bolero owners will greatly help.
  • He would be taking farm equipments/plantations at times(not regularly). So rear space is important
  • Should look good. As he will take to office as well, look also matters
  • Budget - 7-7.5L
  • Rarely it will be fully loaded with people. otherwise mostly will be 2 people only.
  • Have to park outside the house. Heard Scorpio is getting stolen a lot.
  • This is a big buy for us. I am not regular car upgrading guy and dont use to invest much on cars.
Actually I was originally thinking of Indica Vista. Vista drivetech comes for 5.5L, then thought why not stretch another 1.5L and go for a Bolero SLX which will suit our usage better. Then saw Bolero Storm and thought why not add another 50K and go for it. Now I am hearing suggestions to go for Xylo/Sumo Grande MKI, saying Bolero is outdated and not comfortable.

Here I am still biased towards Bolero (SLX or Storm). I think its because of the looks & price (when compared to Xylo/sumo grande). I did not like the looks of Xylo and feel Sumo Grande is too big for our use.

I checked the xylo and specifically checked the rear space, because thats important for us to take any farm equipments. I feel the rear space is mostly the same if the forward looking 3 rd row seats are folded in a Xylo and side looking seats folded in Bolero. Please provide your inputs on this.

I am not fluent in auto terms though using a indica turboo for past 5 years.

At times thinking why not go for the Indica Vista itself.

Please enlighten me with your experience and help me decide.

Thanks,
Raja
smrsraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 22:36   #50
BHPian

joshguy, The B6 dampers cost 9K each. ( don't have the font for Indian rupee installed yet!)
josepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 17:06   #51
BHPian

If you compare a Bolero to a Xylo, then Xylo wins it all. If the need is going to be inside city and occassional long drives, I would recommend the Xylo
diwakarmuthu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 22:44   #52
Senior - BHPian

Raja I think you should decide between Xylo or Bolero.

I would suggest Bolero as you might carry farm equipments and it will suit your budget too
Old 10th August 2010, 07:55   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
smrsraja : Here I am still biased towards Bolero (SLX or Storm).
@Raja, looking at your requirements, the Bolero should be fine. The Storm/CRDe may not really be required for the usage you have described (though very good to have). But considering that you have a farm, and will be using this for the farm a lot, how about one of the pick-up's from Mahindra ? You should even be able to get a white board registration. You can later go for a proper car for the family.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 23:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

Question

Now there is another friend of mine who is confused between safari,bolero and scorpio.

He came to me for a suggestion ,so i thought i will get them from you too.

His priorities are..
  • Should be comfortable (note that all people in the family are around 5.5ft only)
  • The vehicle needs to be sturdy in rough ,bad roads
He is almost done away with bolero due to bad suspension ,now the question is safari of scorpio?

"which one would you take if it was given free of cost?" this was the exact question by him to me ;-)

Help him !!!

Thanks

Last edited by joshguy : 28th August 2010 at 23:15. Reason: to bold
Old 28th August 2010, 23:36   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Now there is another friend of mine who is confused between safari,bolero and scorpio.

His priorities are..
  • Should be comfortable (note that all people in the family are around 5.5ft only)
He is almost done away with bolero due to bad suspension ,now the question is safari of scorpio?

"which one would you take if it was given free of cost?" this was the exact question by him to me ;-)

Help him !!!

Thanks
I would pick Safari if it was given free of cost..... As per the requirements safari seems to be a good pick as it is comfortable for all / sturdy in rough or bad roads...
saabasheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 09:28   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

His priorities are..

Help him !!!

Thanks
Point to ponder:
  1. Safari is essentially a 5 seater whereas the Scorpio can seat 5+ people.
  2. Safari rear seat space is better than Scorpio
  3. Safari suspension is better than Scorp in terms of ride quality.
  4. Scorpio is slightly more reliable than Safari.
End of the day its a gamble, so ask your friend to follow his heart.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 09:36   #57
AWD
BANNED

While we are at it, could a Bolero user who's driven Safari & Scorpio too, compare the threes suspension. I mean how's Bolero compared to Safari & Scorpio over bad/broken roads? Essentially the comparo would be between Bolero & Scorpio because have heard Safari has the best ride!
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 15:59   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
While we are at it, could a Bolero user who's driven Safari & Scorpio too, compare the threes suspension. I mean how's Bolero compared to Safari & Scorpio over bad/broken roads? Essentially the comparo would be between Bolero & Scorpio because have heard Safari has the best ride!
As a Bolero driver and having driven the 2nd gen Scorp for 1 week and Xylo for 1month, I can firmly say that though the Bolero is more bouncy with only 2 people on board,it becomes much more stable with 4 people. But what I felt that the Scorpio has more body roll compared to Bolero because of the higher height and stance.

P.S: I drive the Bolero Storm which has IFS front and leaf at rear akin to the 1st gen Scorpio.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 18:00   #59
AWD
BANNED

Thanks, I have driven both Scorpio & Bolero for a short while but did feel that Scorpio was bouncy over bumps, speed-breakers, broken roads. The ride was pretty bone jarring with occupents getting tossed around. Not sure about Bolero though, actually could not make out properly.

Which out of the two of current gen. is more comfy. & has a better ride?
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 11:33   #60
BHPian

The new gen Scorpio with Independent suspension at rear is not that bouncy as the previous ones with leaf spring.
Bolero is lighter than the Scorpio and its lower CG makes a point or two in handling/braking.
jeeva is offline   Reply With Quote