Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 11:41   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 168
Thanked: 72 Times
Default

Yes, the update is that Fortuner is almost ruled out. They are at least sure of the fact that they dont need a true SUV and a practical, good looking, easy to drive (in city, remember they dont go out often ) crossover is what is more suited to them.

Captiva just did not excite them. CR-V was the common choice but ruled out for reasons I listed earlier. They have almost zeroed in on Outlander now (Yes GTO, they dont have a petrol Vs. diesel as a factor for running cost) but to be absolutely sure of their choice they have arranged a test drive of X-trail this week.

They may not book a vehicle which is available on booking (say within 20 days or so). As I said he wants to take a cash down delivery and he is still a couple of months away from getting that much cash.

Since Fotuner was in the radar, they started short listing earlier since it command a decent waiting period.

Last edited by New.Novice : 9th August 2010 at 11:42. Reason: spelling mistakes
New.Novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2010, 12:33   #62
BHPian
 
AlokSriva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fremont
Posts: 482
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

I agree, Captiva would failt to excite if you are in the driver's seat.

Good to hear that they have been able to thrash out the final list - probably the most critical aspect of any purchase Do let us know what the final decision is and the reasoning as well.
AlokSriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 09:05   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 213
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I patiently waited through the 5 pages of reading before replying. They are definitely making a good decision by going for Outlander (Ok, Mitsubishi Fan here). The reason you have most people screaming here Fortuner is because it is the hottest selling SUV on the road (mostly because of nouveau rich splurging to show their arrival in life). But so much as people will say years of Toyota brand worship, Mitsubishi has an equally grand history in making SUVs (Pajero, Montero). So walk out with a Mitsu knowing that you are acutally buying some technology for that price and not just something for the sake of name

PS & a bit OT : This was really irritating to read this sentence time and time again. Mitsu is not that bad in the same markets as well.
"Anyway, the Fortuner's success in almost all the markets it is launched speaks for itself so let us not go OT, on this thread."
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 09:07   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 213
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Woops I just realized that I brought up a 4 month old thread. lol. Was just too excited to read about Outlander v/s Fortuner I guess.
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2010, 09:41   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,826
Thanked: 2,386 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
"The reason you have most people screaming here Fortuner is because it is the hottest selling SUV on the road (mostly because of nouveau rich splurging to show their arrival in life)"
The OP asked for inputs. People clearly spelled out the pros and cons of both vehicles - and types of vehicles. And the discussion was pretty balanced, and helped the OP. On what basis do you make this statement? Care to elaborate logically instead of making opinionated blanket statements?
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 11:51   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 168
Thanked: 72 Times
Default

Given2fly and Nilanjan

Yes, the discussion was really balanced and went a long way in the decision making. Not sure If I mentioned this here before, but they eventually bought an Outlander.

I have driven the car and I quite liked it, both the machine as well the experience it provided. Can not really compare with Fortuner as I havent driven one yet. You ask if this guy is happy? Boy, you should see his face when he takes it out of his garrage

Sad, they relocated to Bangalore soon after and most likely are going to be in UK for a long time now. If this comes out for sale, will let the forum know.
New.Novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 15:11   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
RajaTaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tenkasi, TN
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 338 Times
Default

If thats a 2010 Outtie, coming up for resale, I guess there is gonna be a beeline to grab it.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 14:06   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 213
Thanked: 0 Times
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The OP asked for inputs. People clearly spelled out the pros and cons of both vehicles - and types of vehicles. And the discussion was pretty balanced, and helped the OP. On what basis do you make this statement? Care to elaborate logically instead of making opinionated blanket statements?
@ Nilanjanray; I take a small offence when you say mine was a opinionated blanket statement, when you don't know me enough. In India, we are so opinionated about Toyota and Honda that there is a crazy premium for these vehicles, sometimes unwarranted. As is the case of Honda, totally overrated and overhyped for the products they sell here. Toyota's are still VHM products but not to the amount when yuo have a 6 month waiting period for just another SUV. I had a chance to travel in a Fortuner once and I wasn't impressed. The interiors are okay and not great, ride is okay not great, was a bit bumpy in the one I was in, not to mention turning radius and just okay looks. Compare that with all the gizmos and ride quality and looks and options that come with Outlander 2010 and you will see the reason why you should buy Outlander. In remote place, Fortuner may last more, but in cities, it is Outlander that should rule, in an ideal world. I'm happy seeing Raja_Taurus's comment that there will be a long line to buy Outlander because it is indeed a great package.

Anyway, have peace, fun and be and be Outlandish!
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 14:17   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,960
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default

The Outlander scores over the T-Fort in areas like interior fit and finish, the luxe feel, ride comfort, and handling to some extent. Every where else, it is the Fortuner that shines across. It is a full blown SUV with a proper low ratio 4wd, built to last and has a rockstar of a diesel engine.

But then, for someone who doesn't want diesel, prefers a soft roader for the city and the highway, the Outlander might make sense.

To each, his own.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 14:52   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
If thats a 2010 Outtie, coming up for resale, I guess there is gonna be a beeline to grab it.
I was actively looking for a used Outlander in Bangalore and to my surprise most of the examples that were available (3 out of the 5 the dealer brought) were 2010 models with under 5 k mileage. Of course the expected prices were very close to a new Outlander and way above my budget, so had to drop the idea.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 00:54   #71
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 213
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I read your responses in this thread before I would really like to know where does Fortuner score better? 'Everywhere else' is a pretty big term and unfortunately, I don't think Fortuner scores anywhere else but macho looks (some people like that, totally subjective) and true off-roading, i.e. Rural Areas where roads don't exist. For an out and out townie, it is better to have all the Outlander has to offer for which you will end up spending another 2-5 lakhs. That includes leather interiors to make it look better, an audio system equivalent to Rockford Fosgate, climate control, etc. List goes on and on and on, and I'm not even starting on all features and looks and all. For a complete list, read this other thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ggressive.html (My 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander Vogue White & Aggressive)

I'm sorry to say this (and no offense meant) but you sound like a Fortuner fan. Fortuner is good, but Outlander is better in most respects. Fortuner probably has only Toyota name, off-roading, diesel so more economical and presence (purely subjective) as its pluses. Nothing more which is quantifiable or can be substantiated. If so, please write and I'll be happy to accede some ground to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The Outlander scores over the T-Fort in areas like interior fit and finish, the luxe feel, ride comfort, and handling to some extent. Every where else, it is the Fortuner that shines across. It is a full blown SUV with a proper low ratio 4wd, built to last and has a rockstar of a diesel engine.

But then, for someone who doesn't want diesel, prefers a soft roader for the city and the highway, the Outlander might make sense.

To each, his own.
Interesting. 5K and selling already. Didn't they test-drive the car before they bought it ??!! Duh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I was actively looking for a used Outlander in Bangalore and to my surprise most of the examples that were available (3 out of the 5 the dealer brought) were 2010 models with under 5 k mileage. Of course the expected prices were very close to a new Outlander and way above my budget, so had to drop the idea.
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 09:38   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
Interesting. 5K and selling already. Didn't they test-drive the car before they bought it ??!! Duh!!!
I was also totally surprised and even started suspecting if there is any major issue with Outlander (like very low FE or the so called rubber band effect). One of them had done 3000 kms and was unregistered! I was actually surprised to see so many Outlanders on sale when you hardly see anything on the Road.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 14:15   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,826
Thanked: 2,386 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
"mostly because of nouveau rich splurging to show their arrival in life"
Your nouveau rich(e) phrase is clearly opinionated. I am a Fortuner owner. I always wanted a tough as nails SUV that could take me anywhere, while making highway driving enjoyable and relaxing. I take it every month to hills and jungles where there is no smooth road. In fact, right now I am writing this sitting on a machaan overlooking a waterhole at the Nilgiri foothills. My vehicle is parked below, and got me to this place. Yesterday I went on a track (to visit a spot from where I could take pictures of wildlife) that no sedan - even my SX4 - could have managed. I would have thought twice before taking a crossover through it, given the protruding rocks and slush due to recent rain here.

I test drove the 2010 Outlander. I liked many things about it - that I have mentioned. I could have bought it. I ended up buying a Fortuner because of personal preference and fit. I clearly mentioned to the OP that given his friend's needs, a crossover/Outlander was more suitable. And you still take offense when I point out an opinionated statement? :-)
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 17:08   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

Given the choice and the money - I would any day of the week, go and buy a Fortuner for the foll reasons;

1. Diesel Power
2. Reliability of Toyota plus ease of servicing etc
3. Far better Off Road ability than Outlander
4. Size of luggage/ storage space available
5. Overall toughness of Fortuner
6. Pretty much guaranteed re-sale value 5-7 years down the line.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 13:51   #75
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,729
Thanked: 89,227 Times
Default Re: Mitsubishi Outlander or Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
In India, we are so opinionated about Toyota and Honda that there is a crazy premium for these vehicles, sometimes unwarranted.
Actually, you can leave the "India" part out of it. Toyota & Honda have best-seller products in several markets across the globe, and Toyota itself emerged as the largest auto manufacturer in the world. That's the result of performance in a collection of markets, not just India. And yes, most of their products command a noticeable premium at the time of showroom purchase (worldwide), as well as at the time of resale. Considering that a majority of customers don't have a problem in paying that premium for the overall package - amply illustrated by their sales success - I can safely make the assumption that most people feel it's worth the premium price (I think so too).

Quote:
The interiors are okay and not great, ride is okay not great, was a bit bumpy in the one I was in, not to mention turning radius and just okay looks. Compare that with all the gizmos and ride quality and looks and options that come with Outlander 2010 and you will see the reason why you should buy Outlander.
You are actually looking for the wrong things. The Fortuner is a tough-as-nails body-on-frame SUV, while the Outlander is a soft-roader built on a sedan platform. Each has its pros & cons. The Fortuner will never ride & handle as well as a soft-roader, and neither will the soft-roader prove as robust, abuse-friendly or have the offroad capability of a Fortuner.

One of the main reasons why the Fortuner is 5X more popular than the Outlander is:

- Outlander only has a petrol engine. And considering that size & weight, it can be quite a guzzler.

- No manual transmission.

- The Fortuner is 2 lakhs cheaper (OTR Mumbai). Despite having a diesel and a brand that's got 100X more equity.

- Brand equity & trust

- 3 rows of seats

I agree with you that, for the urban yuppie who will drive primarily in the city, and doesn't care about diesel economy, the Outlander is a far superior choice. That's exactly what I recommended to the OP (along with the Nissan X-Trail which is also car-like to drive). However, if you're looking at abuse, robustness, diesel economy and robustness, the Fortuner it is. Both are inherently very different vehicles and actually serve completely different purposes.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driven : Mitsubishi Outlander! .anshuman Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 38 23rd December 2015 15:13
Toyota Fortuner vs Upcoming Face-Lifted Toyota Fortuner dkaile SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 45 12th August 2011 22:20
Mitsubishi Outlander coming. EDIT : Now Launched, Specs on Pg 6! navdeep The Indian Car Scene 232 31st March 2009 11:47
New version mitsubishi outlander to take on cr-v devarshi84 The Indian Car Scene 24 24th February 2007 00:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks