Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 30th August 2010, 14:18   #16
BHPian

I too am in the same boat as Saurabh and about to book Safari.
Earlier I was inclined towards EX, but visited KHT motors and there was a Black LX displayed, which looked good too even with the grey side claddings.

Couple of questions -

1. How do I differentiate between BS III and IV variants? The dealer said to go by the interiors and that BS III wouldn't come with interiors like the one displayed, which he claimed is BS IV.
However, I vaguely remember seeing some safaris with BS IV written in the back.. Is that applicable only for VX only? Any other means to confirm a safari is BS IV?

2. Anyone knows if I can purchase a safari in Bangalore and register in Hosur? I live in Hosur so I'll have to register there, but I am not comfortable buying from the dealer in Hosur as he may have very old stock. (They had BS III on display). On the contrary, if I'm getting BS IV from the Hosur dealer, can I be confident that it is a recently manufactured one?

KHT Motors, Bangalore offered 5K corporate discount and 7K regular discount plus mats and mudflaps.
LX BSIV Ex showroom is 767,000 and On the road is 929,800.
This is with Karnataka tax, so it would be some 20-30K less in Tamilnadu due to the lower road tax.

Thanks
Suresh.
Old 31st August 2010, 10:45   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
I tried on Ex, Breakes were fine till this speed. Will take a lot more time to go beyond 110 KMpH.So I didn't opted for Gx which is equiped with ABS & EBD.
Sorry to say, but your reasoning is completely wrong. ABS can save your life even at 60 kph, as it will give you steering capability (prevent wheel lock) in an emergency manoeuvre. Safety devices such as ABS & seat belts can be life-savers within the city too. Its a myth that you only need them on high speed runs.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2010, 11:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sorry to say, but your reasoning is completely wrong. ABS can save your life even at 60 kph, as it will give you steering capability (prevent wheel lock) in an emergency manoeuvre. Safety devices such as ABS & seat belts can be life-savers within the city too. Its a myth that you only need them on high speed runs.
Couldnt agree more with you GTO.

I had some scary moments in My Safari in city at speeds of 40-50 KPH when the rear wheels locked up and the rear end fish tailed. ABS would have certainly helped there.

On the contrary, braking on my SX4 is so much more confidence inspiring and I have one a few occassions felt ABS kick in even in the city- especially helpful when that errant auto cuts across your lane.

Having experienced a car with ABS I will never settle for a non-ABS car, even if it means I have to go a segment lower on account of budgetary constraints.
Old 31st August 2010, 11:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

I had an opportunity to drive a swift with and without ABS sometime back, Both the cars had the same specs, both were diesel with the similar tyre type..

Swift with ABS instilled lots of confidence in me and braking felt so easy and confident while the Swift without the ABS felt real scary!
Old 5th September 2010, 11:03   #20
BHPian

Thanks to all,

All Formalitties are complete & I hope ( Fingers Crossed) Delivery will be on time @ 11th Sep 10.

@ All, help needed:
>> DEALER is offering me 3M Anti corrosion polishing, Should I go for it???

>> I would have opted for ABS Variants but as of now all are out of budget. May be next time for My Brother's.

>> Really, even I wanted to know how to differentiate in BSIII & BSIV technically. I think one can be cheated at this point.

@ verditer.
( MAy be I am too young BHPian to advice on this: please bare with me)
If you know that road tax or other taxes are lower in TamilNadu, buy your car from TamilNadu, cause what I have figured out is that all taxes, registration & insurance is calculated from Car's Ex-Showroom price ( please do correct me if I am wrong). You can do this Buy-Bangalore & Register Hosur, but difference will be BSIII & BSIV & I think it is un-advisable..

One crude way to know is the booking receipt, it clearly mentiones that you have booked a BSIV option & this becomes an obligation for dealer to deliver the same. ( You can sue him for this later if somthing fishy comes UP).

All you have to do is
1: purchae & pay only ex-showroom Bangalore,
2: Get a temperory registration ( valid for 15 days ) don't drive for more than 1000Km's under this registration.
3: Get it insured b4 leaving showroom.
4: take car to Hosur ( I assume you will have all dox, address proof etc for Hosur, )
5: Contact any RTO agent & get it registered.

And for sure; as advised in TEam-BHP PDI, ask for Form 22 of the car before getting it registered that will really solve many hassles & confusion , such as Mfg date, date delivered etc. Did this yesterday for my Safari. Visited dealer's stockyard yesterday, pRetty satisfied after that. There were 2 Safari's, both EX and both's Form 22 said date as aug10 & BSIV, but still confused for BSIII & IV had a recipt pasted on it ( with 20Aug10).

Again, Thanks a lot to all for all your feedbacks.
WIll update again on Sep11-10. may be with PICS.

Thanks a ton,
Saurabh T.
Old 6th September 2010, 09:09   #21
BHPian

Congrats Saurabh on booking the Safari... Mouth watering... (I'm waiting for my moment to come,, mostly in couple of weeks).

I have checked out both dealers - in Hosur True Sai Works and in Bangalore KHT motors, and KHT Motors seems more appealing.. The Hosur dealer didn't even have price of BSIV variant, and I waited 10 minutes before he was able to get same. They were actually really very confused as to why I'm asking for BSIV. And on top of that, when I said I wanted Mountain Green, he said that color is not produced anymore.. I was shocked, and pressed him that how is it that other dealers are able to offer that color, then he said that color is not even in brouchure(while I knew it IS in the brochure).. I asked him to get a brochure, he went and got one, and then sheepishly again said that though it is in brochure, the color is not in production. I pressed again, then he said he can try but it is not guaranteed. Phew!
And currently there is only a loyalty discount for existing tata customers of Rs.7000 (I'm not a Tata customer yet).

Now the Bangalore dealer KHT motors called me on Saturday, and said he can take care of the registration at Hosur, I just need to book it. I have asked him to give me total on road price taking into consideration the lower tax in Tamilnadu.

Both dealers are pressing me to book within this week, saying that prices are bound to increase in October... Not sure if there is any truth in that...

Now a question for experts here - When I asked how the side cladding painting would be done if I opted for LX and body colored side cladding, the KHT Motors sales guy said they will not remove the cladding to paint it (which I dont want to do) but rather just paint with metallic paint on top of it... Can some one tell me how good this paint job would be? Would it be similar to other variants with body colored cladding, or will there be any visible after effects and will colors match?
(The Hosur dealer tried to discourage me from opting for that, saying the paint may not look exact).

Wishes,
Suresh.
Old 6th September 2010, 14:03   #22
BHPian

@verditer : Verditer i also own a Mountain Green Safari 2.2LX. Even i had these questions on getting the bumpers and side claddings painted in body colour but have finally decided against it. I decided primarily because the car is my daily drive to office and back with occasional highway trips to my native in Ranchi.Daily driving in dense city traffic will definitely invite minor scratches which would be very much visible in body coloured bumpers and claddings but would not be very visible in the grey coloured plastic. I think Hosur still has narrow roads with congested traffic condition.I spent 2 years in the town during 2002-04.

But if you are particular about the body coloured side claddings would suggest you to get it done from the authorised workshop by removing all these parts from the car,painted in a paint booth and then refitted to the car.Painting them without stripping them from the car would give rise to :

1) poor paint finish at the edges
2) if masking is improper, paint fumes may spoil the surface finish of the other unprotected areas
3) Ensure plastic primer is applied on the parts before painting so that paint adherence is strong enough

If done properly you would hardly notice the difference between a workshop painted LX side claddings and a company painted EX with body coloured side claddings.

Shantanu

Last edited by sbhaduri : 6th September 2010 at 14:07.
Old 6th September 2010, 14:16   #23
BHPian

Thanks Shantanu. Yes, Hosur is still having those narrow roads and highly congested, it is advisable not to take a safari in those roads, but avoid them when possible. I even dread driving my zen through those streets!

I have been looking at a black LX at a nearby showroom, and it doesn't look bad after all - guess it is more individual perception.. The grey cladding seems to go well with black, so I might finally settle for a black LX and do not paint the cladding - I am not very confident of the dealers doing a good job with it.
Yes, Mountain Green EX would be an ultimate, but have to settle for LX due to the 1.25L price difference from Lx to Ex.

(Just returned from KHT motors, Bangalore after meeting the manager, who flatly said NO to getting Hosur registration,, and guess what, the sales representative is still pushing to book and he will take care of the regn. without giving details. I said No to him, and now will settle for the Hosur dealer only)

Thanks again,
Suresh.
Old 9th September 2010, 08:38   #24
BHPian

@Suresh : Mountain Green 2.2EX would really look good.I was in the same state of mind October last while booking the car but wife insisted MNG and it was MNG.Black though looks very cool would be little difficult to maintain.I have a 2003 Black Bajaj Pulsar and let me tell you its quite difficult to maintain the colour.Even a little bit of dust shows on it and to maintain the new looks it requires polishing very frequently.

You can find many threads on this topic at TBHP,people owning black cars really have to devote time to keep it looking new and shiny.

Painting the claddings and bumper should not be a problem in a good workshop equipped with paint booth.The claddings are fitted on to the body with plastic clips which are push fitted.They can be easily opened,painted and refitted.Ensure new and good quality clips are used while refitting.Both the bumpers are bolted and refitting them should not be any issue.

I think if you can take care of the scratches then a Safari with body coloured bumpers and claddings look really good.Though i had decided against it but every now and then i get tempted.So long have been able to hold the temptation.... Lets see how long.

Shantanu
Old 13th September 2010, 13:51   #25
BHPian

I need some help here.
I did a good 40 KM test drive on a VX variant TD Safari vehicle yesterday. Felt pretty good about it. Good speed, nice handling. Nice brakes, thanks to the ABS.

I had a GX-4X2 variant in mind. When i keep thinking about it, i figure out that the EX-4X4 is slightly cheaper than the GX-4X2. Given the vitam M deficiency, i am unable to go for a 4X4 model in GX.

Any advice / suggestions here ? Would a EX-4X4 make sense ? Or shall i go ahead with the GX-4X2 variant ?

I plan to do my booking sometime this wednesday and any comments from the experts will help me in my decision making.
Old 13th September 2010, 14:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Jkrish,

Unless you see yourself doing some wild riding and more into taking the road less traveled (!), I would place the ABS above a 4x4 requirement.

With the constraint mentioned, my vote is for GX 4x2.
Old 13th September 2010, 16:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

+1 to that HappyWheels.
A better braking system is any day better than an extra axle, especially for a big vehicle like this which will see more road and highway than off road.
Old 13th September 2010, 17:43   #28
BANNED

If you need more safety go with the GX 4x2 any day for the ABS facility in it, ABS is the most required for this vehicle to be controlled properly at any sorts of speed.

I would suggest on any given day to go for a GX 4x2 and suggest EX 4x4 until unless you are a hardcore off road driver.
Old 13th September 2010, 18:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Default Booked Safari LX from KHT

I have booked Cycus Grey Safari from KHT Motors after seeing black color LX standing in their Showroom.

Apart from PDI, what other formalities/check I need to perform. I may get Safari on 22nd of September? Somebody mentioned Form 22.

I am planning to do cladding painting with Silky Silver color GX Spec(Sorry HappyWheels). But this will solve two issues

1. Color Matching issue will not come
2. It will look like fake GX in same color it will look like fake EX or VX

Also, I have query to fellow Safari members

1. Can I retrofit middle seat blower (like EX and above) in LX without voiding warranty?

So many questions to ask...
Old 13th September 2010, 19:25   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I have booked Cycus Grey Safari from KHT Motors after seeing black color LX standing in their Showroom.

Apart from PDI, what other formalities/check I need to perform. I may get Safari on 22nd of September? Somebody mentioned Form 22.

I am planning to do cladding painting with Silky Silver color GX Spec(Sorry HappyWheels). But this will solve two issues

1. Color Matching issue will not come
2. It will look like fake GX in same color it will look like fake EX or VX

Also, I have query to fellow Safari members

1. Can I retrofit middle seat blower (like EX and above) in LX without voiding warranty?

So many questions to ask...
Congratulations on your Safari. Finally you made it

About the color combo, do it the way you want it.

The middle seat A/C blower is not required at all. The front blower is sufficient to chill everyones bones
Closed Thread