Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 19th October 2010, 21:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camon View Post
I'm planning to upgrade my i10 to Safari LX by Dec 10/Jan 11.
Welcome to Safari club. Make your decision soon. Current price of LX is very tempting.

Quote:
Going through threads of my fellow bhpian, some small and big issues have been recorded like niggles, electric parts failure, A/C fuse issue etc.
Many of the issue reported are of old school. Almost 25 days over, I got my Safari LX and enjoying every bit. No failures, blown fuses as such. Tata have taken all corrective measures. Many of my close friends has Safari and none of them are complaining anything. All of them are avid drivers. Drives 15K to 25K avg per year.

Quote:
I don't know whether all these things clubbed to affect Tata reliabilty on Safari?
During my first service there were small issue. These issues could be present in any car. Those were not show stopper and nothing to be bothered. Check my ownership thread. I have mentioned all problems need to be corrected during first service.

Quote:
My relatives too owning Safari for more than 3 years. But I never get any negative feedback rather than rattling in bad roads from there respective
drivers when I enquired about issues if they encountered!!!
Most of the Safari owners does not find any issues. All issues were blown out of proportion.

Quote:
Even though there safari are trouble free, one of my cousin beast is not withstanding for price quoted in the used car market because questioning on "RELIABILITY"
It is extremely reliable car and I found no issue with TASS too. Some of the owners constantly complains about TASS. You can measure length and breadth of India without any issue.

Quote:
Now this also ticked my mind, whether over knowledge too opens the door for more issues. Is it So?
Agreed with you.

Quote:
Also want to know one more info on Maintenance of New Tata safari averagly per year if I do 15000KM per year.
New Safari's service duration is 15K Kms. You can opt for extended warranty for 2 years. Company provides 2 years. So total would 2+2 Years of warranty. With your expected usage you have to do one service per year.

Last edited by anujmishra : 19th October 2010 at 21:35.
Old 19th October 2010, 21:57   #47
BHPian

Hi Mishra,

Thanks for your prompt and crystal clear responses.

Quote:
New Safari's service duration is 15K Kms. You can opt for extended warranty for 2 years. Company provides 2 years. So total would 2+2 Years of warranty. With your expected usage you have to do one service per year.
I expected here maintenance charge one would incur averagely per year (even-though opting 4 year warranty)

Regards,
Camon
Old 19th October 2010, 23:20   #48
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the models with ABS, that is GX or VX. ABS would ensure safe braking for this two ton monster.

In case budget permits get the 4x4. Safari like Scorpio, being a heavy vehicle, may get mired where a smaller hatch back would sail through. That is where a 4x4 would be god sent.

What good is a SUV if not 4x4?
Old 19th October 2010, 23:29   #49
BHPian

Hi Camon
I also have been on the same boat since long, as every time my decision of buying a car take back seat for some reasons. I have been a big Safari fan but the issues reported on all the forum turned it down. I am still thinking whether to buy a top end hatch with all gizmos or a base version of Safari. But after driving Landcruisers and Patrols in the deserts often, when I think about buying a Safari, I want to go for 4X4 version. If you have zeroed down on Safari then see to it if you can atleast buy GX (with ABS) and if budget permits, a 4x4
Old 19th October 2010, 23:55   #50
BANNED

Boss, when you have got positive feed back and if your Head and Heart says yes. GO FOR IT.

Like they say "Little knowledge is dangerous" so is " Too much knowledge is Dangerous"

Dont dwell too much.

Safari's presently are as good or bad as any other SUV's around.

I own a 4.2 yr old beast, done only 30K kms(thats toooo low running) inspite of this, NO ISSUES

Forget mine, there are the other 250+ Safari owners here, 99% are happily enjoying their ownership.

Rest is your choice.
Old 20th October 2010, 05:57   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
What good is a SUV if not 4x4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_turbo View Post
If you have zeroed down on Safari then see to it if you can atleast buy GX (with ABS) and if budget permits, a 4x4
Due to budget constraint, I have zeroed down to Safari LX and if by luck Tata gives an option of 4x4 for LX. I blindly stretch my limit happily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Like they say "Little knowledge is dangerous" so is " Too much knowledge is Dangerous"
Well Said Pavan

Quote:
Forget mine, there are the other 250+ Safari owners here, 99% are happily enjoying their ownership.
Do you know, I admire people like you, JKdas for this positive attitude and eventually that turned my enthusiasm to become Safari lover in near future.

Regards,
Camon
Old 20th October 2010, 10:03   #52
BHPian

To me, looks like your heart wants the safari while your head says otherwise. Go with the heart, a heartless life is no fun.
simpleman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2010, 10:17   #53
Senior - BHPian

We often crib about the reliability of Safari and Scorpio, niggles, service and what not. When you go through the woes of "Premium" segment - Merc, BMW, Skoda etc in this forum, you would bless yourself for small worries and low cost of repair.

I would not pay 30L++ and worry, as well as prepare to be stranded in the middle of nowhere. Yes our home grown vehicles give more worries than the Japanese/Korean designs, but no where near what the current premium European vehicles subject us to. Even Maruti, Toyota and Hyundai vehicles break down once in a while!

The number of problem plagued Indian SUV is a small fraction of the total owner base. As long as Tata is willing to look into and repair; most of the time free of cost; the problems can be borne stoically. Barring very few cases (Pramod's Scorpio is a rare occurrence, as is a cracked Safari chassis), hardly any Indian SUV requires a "Tow Job", most of them limp back home. With time our QC would mature and with proper support from enthusiastic buyers it would be sooner than later. Hence I advocate a positive attitude; machines will always act up; but proper care and proactive maintenance will ensure years of trouble free ownership experience.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Due to budget constraint, I have zeroed down to Safari LX and if by luck Tata gives an option of 4x4 for LX. I blindly stretch my limit happily.
The difference between 4x2 LX and 4x4 GX is 3-3.5L, I am sure you can manage that in less than six months. I would suggest you wait and mobilise resources. What is a few months wait, when you will be enjoying the fruits for at least five years. Safari with ABS and 4x4 will pay for itself many times over in terms of safety, pleasure and sheer "go anywhere" power.
Old 20th October 2010, 14:47   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Mishra,

I expected here maintenance charge one would incur averagely per year (even-though opting 4 year warranty)

Regards,
Camon
Check Tanveers' (tsk1979) thread.. Scroll from the end to see the latest maintenance cost.

I think Suman/ Dadu also have ownership cost calculated.
Old 20th October 2010, 15:25   #56
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest you take the Tata GOLD AMC plan if going for safari. It covers everything except batteries and tires.
So no matter what goes kaput(rubber parts or non rubber parts, warranty or no warranty) you do not have to pay any money.
Sadly, when I purchased the safari, there was no such plan being offered.
And when this plan came, my car was much above the 10,000km limit.

Speaking of issues, its a very personal thing. Non-Breakdown issues are perceived different by different people. Take 10 people and ask them if AC fuse blowing is a big issue or not, there is a good chance that half of them say its not a big issue, and the complainers are whiners, and other half will say its a big issue and company is not doing QC properly.

Regarding A.S.S. also depends on what kind of service you have been used to. Many people find Tata service expemplary, and many find it rubbish.

So depending upon who you ask, many people will call it an extremely reliable vehicle, some will rate its reliability better than Toyota as their safari never suffered a niggle, while others will curse the quality.

For example, I do not believe that safari rattles. Mine does not. So from my POV, I may remark that people who have rattling safari's do not take care of their vehicles. Anyways, all this is hypothetical.

So get your facts from others, but your opinions only from yourself, as in the end its you who is going to buy this vehicle.

Speaking of expenses, I can give you the facts.
The safari has cost me like this as of 26 september 2010
Kms 55,064.00
Fuel Total 176,886.58
Fuel liters 5,218.03
FE 10.55
Repair Total(Tata) 42,578.00
Accessories 19,420
Non Tata repair 33,100.00 (Tires mostly)
Grand Total 271,984.58
Cost/km 4.94
Repair/km 0.77
Fuel/km 3.21
Accessories/km 0.35
Non Tata repair 0.60 (Tires mostly)

In these 55000kms, which were done in little more than 2 year, I have visited Tata service stations about 20 times(inclusive of regular services, 5 in total).
On many of these instances, I have not paid anything, as everything replaced was under warranty.

However, I think I would have saved around 20,000rs if I had gotten the GOLD AMC plan. I have no idea about the cost of the plan as of today, and your nearest dealer can give you details of that.
Old 20th October 2010, 15:35   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I would suggest you take the Tata GOLD AMC plan if going for safari.
However, I think I would have saved around 20,000rs if I had gotten the GOLD AMC plan. I have no idea about the cost of the plan as of today, and your nearest dealer can give you details of that.

The AMC plan is only for the warranty period. 2 years or 30000 km or so (have to check my contract for accuracy)

Tanveer, do you have any details of all the maintenance plans? There is also a platinum plan.
Concorde gave me Gold plan (~5k) but platinum plan was quoted as 20k+ and sales rep said they dont recommend.

I am trying to understand the booklet for difference between gold/ platinum plans but could not see major difference.
Even in gold, they have another option called Gold TML which includes cover for battery and tyres. Similarly platiunum also has Platinum TML. So overall there are 4 plans

Last edited by druva : 20th October 2010 at 15:36.
Old 20th October 2010, 15:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

+1 to that. In fact, to a recent reply to one of my posts to a BMW 5 series ownership thread, GTO said:

"The Scorpio and Safari are saints".

So, choose any of these and you will be happy more often than not. Just don't go nitpicking about small issues.
The Safari is the TBHP leader and the Scorpio is the market leader.
Old 20th October 2010, 16:05   #59
Team-BHP Support

I cannot comment on the platinum plan since I am not aware of the terms of conditions.
At 5K the Gold plan for 30,000kms makes sense at it will include cost of oil change etc.,

Can you tell me the pricing of Platinum plan and the terms and conditions?
Old 20th October 2010, 17:18   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I cannot comment on the platinum plan since I am not aware of the terms of conditions.
At 5K the Gold plan for 30,000kms makes sense at it will include cost of oil change etc.,

Can you tell me the pricing of Platinum plan and the terms and conditions?
My Silver plan also included Oil Change into it. So, with this AMC I will get two oil change. I need to keep one vigil. At 30K service I need to do around 29,9XX Kms. If I give my car for service after 30K they might refuse 2nd oil change as AMC says 30K or 2 years which ever is earlier.

@druva: What extra is covered in Gold Plan than Silver Plan?
Closed Thread