Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 4th August 2010, 09:30   #1
BHPian

Default Queries regarding purchase of new TATA SAFARI

Hello Team BHP Members,

My sincere apologies in advance if my thread is in wrong forum, please do let me know if it is.

I am planning to purchase a new SAFARI Lx, by mid september.
I have gone through various threads but haven't been able get my queries resolved.
I have fewe queris regarding the upgrades & suggestions for the discount that I can avail at delivery of the vehicle!

Major differences that I noticed in Lx & Vx is
a: Engine Immobilizer
b: Body coloted Bumpers ( My choise is Quartz BLack).
c: Roof Mounted A/c ( Dual A/c, whatever!!!)

I want to know whether can I

1: Get the roof mounted A/c installed seperately in Lx, if yes what is the price & place either in Mumbai or Pune for the same? one of the dealers, have rejected that this does not happens or this cannot be done. I need this A/c as I belong to M.P. & my native is close to Rajasthan border.

2: Bargain ( which I am not at all good at) for body coloured bumpers instead of the stock (grey) one without paying extra price.

3: Is spending 9.9 lacs in Ex woth it, as apart from above features there is no significant difference (height adjustable driver seat & Tiltable steering, I don't need either) which I noticed, correct me if I am wrong.

4: As of now the only thing I am offered in form of discount is free extended warranty (7000 Rs), is there anything else I can ask & can get easily without mach-mach.

Dealers which I have finalised are B.U.B. in Pune & Galaxy in Mulund,

Please, I need your inputs desperately as my laon will be aproved in a week & I want the deleivery b4 Ganesh Chaturthi.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Saurabh Tiwari.

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th August 2010 at 10:15. Reason: Limit to 2 smilies per post. Thanks
Old 10th August 2010, 07:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

IIRC apart from the A/C, immobiliser and a few other cosmetic features, the EX has ABS which LX doesn't. And I feel ABS is important for a vehicle of Safari's size.

So I would suggest going for EX.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2010, 09:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
IIRC apart from the A/C, immobiliser and a few other cosmetic features, the EX has ABS which LX doesn't. And I feel ABS is important for a vehicle of Safari's size.

Quick correction - EX does not have ABS.. GX and VX have.

Suresh.
verditer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2010, 10:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IIRC apart from the A/C, immobiliser and a few other cosmetic features, the EX has ABS which LX doesn't.
ABS and EBD are not available in EX either. They come only with the GX and VX variants. See the "Safety & Security" specs at the following link:

Tata Safari

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 10th August 2010 at 10:38.
Old 10th August 2010, 10:43   #5
BHPian

The EX comes with everything the LX does plus the 2nd AC Unit for the middle seats & the Engine Immobilizer.

If you want ABS, you need to get the GX.

The most VFM variant is the GX however, the EX too is attractive if you want to get the 2nd AC Unit. Even though you can get the 2nd AC Unit done as an aftermarket accessory on the LX, the fit and finish will not be the same as on the EX.
SumitB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2010, 10:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
I am planning to purchase a new SAFARI Lx, by mid september.
I have gone through various threads but haven't been able get my queries resolved.
I have fewe queris regarding the upgrades & suggestions for the discount that I can avail at delivery of the vehicle!

Major differences that I noticed in Lx & Vx is
a: Engine Immobilizer
b: Body coloted Bumpers ( My choise is Quartz BLack).
c: Roof Mounted A/c ( Dual A/c, whatever!!!)

I want to know whether can I

1: Get the roof mounted A/c installed seperately in Lx, if yes what is the price & place either in Mumbai or Pune for the same? one of the dealers, have rejected that this does not happens or this cannot be done. I need this A/c as I belong to M.P. & my native is close to Rajasthan border.

2: Bargain ( which I am not at all good at) for body coloured bumpers instead of the stock (grey) one without paying extra price.

3: Is spending 9.9 lacs in Ex woth it, as apart from above features there is no significant difference (height adjustable driver seat & Tiltable steering, I don't need either) which I noticed, correct me if I am wrong.

4: As of now the only thing I am offered in form of discount is free extended warranty (7000 Rs), is there anything else I can ask & can get easily without mach-mach.
Saurabh,

Not sure if you noticed, but apart from the cosmetics difference between LX & VX, you have the safety features availabe in the VX, as in ABS and airbags. All the rest are, in my opinion, just reason for the manufacturer to increase price. You can get all of them done at your local store at half (or less) the price, but definitely not the safety features. So, the only decision factor I would suggest you consider are the safety and security features offered. In any case, I would suggest at least go for the model with the immobilizer and when on road, drive carefully.

Coming to your specific queries, have a response for two of them :

1. Can be done

3. Immobilizer makes it worth it

Quote:

MC, reckon you wanted to mention VX in your post above, instead of EX. The ABS is offered on the GX and VX only.
HappyWheels is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2010, 11:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Team BHP Members,...
Hi Saurabh,

By any chance your office is in "SHARDA CENTER" at Null stop ,Pune.
Yesterday someone testdrive a white safari LX at 4 PM in front of sharda center.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th August 2010 at 16:22. Reason: Hi, please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers. Thanks.
Old 12th August 2010, 10:06   #8
BHPian

Exclamation

Hey Friends,
Thanks a lot for all your replies & suggestions.
After much of the discussion within the family, I have finally decided to go for Ex.
After reading the suggestios by team-bhp members, I enquired that though I can have after market Roof A/c, but this can lead to violation in warranty, which may even result in warranty laps for manufacturing defects as well.
Ultimately ; my Father who is a bigger car enthusiast than me has lended the difference in Ex & Lx to Me. Hence I was able to book Safari Ex. Because he did nat wanted to take risk on warranty.

Booking amount is paid & remaining down payment will be done within next 2 weeks. The delivery date is decided as 11 september ( on GANESH CHATURTHI). And color will be BLACK.

The dealer offered me :
1: 15000 cash discount ( 2k for Logistics + 7k for Extd Waranty + 6K Corporate Discount)
2: Floor mattings+ Mud Flaps.

& I added:
3: Body Cover ( Silver) Free
4: Art. Leather Seat covers. free
5: 25% discount on price of Uktrasonic Reverse assistance/guidance System.( which is also a part of Gx): will cost around 4k.
6: 25% discount on Wisors.: will cost around 2k.

Q: Is there anything else that I can add to the accesories list as part of essentials while taking delivery. My past experience says that it will be tough for me spend time on weekends for the upgrades.

@ Kalinga: No, I was driving the orange SAFARI that had "DEMO CAR" written all over it...

Will Keep this thread updated for all updates from My end.
Thanks to everybody (
MileCruncher vbmenu_register("postmenu_2019353", true); ,verditer vbmenu_register("postmenu_2019425", true); ,comfortablynumb vbmenu_register("postmenu_2019528", true); ,SumitB vbmenu_register("postmenu_2019544", true); ,HappyWheels vbmenu_register("postmenu_2019545", true); ,KALINGA vbmenu_register("postmenu_2019584", true);

again.

Thanks all,
Saurabh Tiwari
Old 12th August 2010, 12:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

congrats Saurabh.

one question- did you find the brakes Ok in the EX? i used to own a LX dicor and the brakes were pathetic in it and I firmly believe that ABS is a must in the Safari.
himanshugoswami is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2010, 14:06   #10
BHPian

congrats Saurabh !!!!!!!!!!!
You took the right model of safari. The safari must be with ABS.
IMO TATA should keep ABS and airbag as standard in all verient of the truck.
Old 13th August 2010, 06:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

congrats saurab ,what is the price otr?

BTW i saw a ad where safari was advertised for 7.7L ,what was it
Old 13th August 2010, 07:16   #12
BHPian

Congratulations Saurab. Good choice of vehicle. Keep crunching miles now on. I am on the verge of closing a Gx soon and am just waiting for the day i can lay my hands on the safari wheels.

@josh : The 7.75 ex-show room is the for the base LX version of the safari.
Old 13th August 2010, 08:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
congrats Saurabh !!!!!!!!!!!
You took the right model of safari. The safari must be with ABS.
IMO TATA should keep ABS and airbag as standard in all verient of the truck.
Kalinga, he took the EX variant and this does not come with ABS. Only the GX & VX variants come with ABS. The EX only comes with 2nd ac unit and the immobilizer other than a few other extras over the LX.

Quote:
Hey Friends,
Thanks a lot for all your replies & suggestions.
After much of the discussion within the family, I have finally decided to go for Ex.
After reading the suggestios by team-bhp members, I enquired that though I can have after market Roof A/c, but this can lead to violation in warranty, which may even result in warranty laps for manufacturing defects as well.
Ultimately ; my Father who is a bigger car enthusiast than me has lended the difference in Ex & Lx to Me. Hence I was able to book Safari Ex. Because he did nat wanted to take risk on warranty.

Booking amount is paid & remaining down payment will be done within next 2 weeks. The delivery date is decided as 11 september ( on GANESH CHATURTHI). And color will be BLACK.

The dealer offered me :
1: 15000 cash discount ( 2k for Logistics + 7k for Extd Waranty + 6K Corporate Discount)
2: Floor mattings+ Mud Flaps.

& I added:
3: Body Cover ( Silver) Free
4: Art. Leather Seat covers. free
5: 25% discount on price of Uktrasonic Reverse assistance/guidance System.( which is also a part of Gx): will cost around 4k.
6: 25% discount on Wisors.: will cost around 2k.

Q: Is there anything else that I can add to the accesories list as part of essentials while taking delivery. My past experience says that it will be tough for me spend time on weekends for the upgrades.

@ Kalinga: No, I was driving the orange SAFARI that had "DEMO CAR" written all over it...

Will Keep this thread updated for all updates from My end.
Thanks to everybody (
MileCruncher vbmenu_register("postmenu_2019353", true); ,verditer vbmenu_register("postmenu_2019425", true); ,comfortablynumb vbmenu_register("postmenu_2019528", true); ,SumitB vbmenu_register("postmenu_2019544", true); ,HappyWheels vbmenu_register("postmenu_2019545", true); ,KALINGA vbmenu_register("postmenu_2019584", true);

again.

Thanks all,
Saurabh Tiwari
Congrats Saurabh. The EX is a much better option over the LX. The AC for one and also the immobilizer. About the extras, I think you got a good deal. The dealer in Shillong does not offer even the mats for free.
Old 13th August 2010, 21:27   #14
BHPian

Hi ALL,Thanks for the wishes.I usually don't drive over 100KMpH. I tried on Ex, Breakes were fine till this speed. Will take a lot more time to go beyond 110 KMpH.So I didn't opted for Gx which is equiped with ABS & EBD.Well Final Priceof Ex on Road is 999643/-, ( all discounts excluded)Yes 7.75 ( with octroi Mumbai) is for Lx.Lets see when the car shows up at showroom, prior to delivery.Will post the pics with & without all accessories loaded.. Thanks Agian to ALL,Saurabh Tiwari.
Old 20th August 2010, 15:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi ALL,Thanks for the wishes.I usually don't drive over 100KMpH. I tried on Ex, Breakes were fine till this speed.Final Priceof Ex on Road is 999643/-
Congratulations Saurabh. I too have an EX and have never felt the need for ABS till now despite driving/braking on wet roads in the two-digit speed range. The braking is just fine.

Good to know that your on-road price is within 10L. Road tax is one of the highest in Karnataka and thanks to that, I had to shell out much more for my EX, notwithstanding the fact that around 90K extra was due to my variant being a 4x4.
Closed Thread