Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 27th August 2010, 23:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Don't you get any foreign cars easily in Nepal. So if the tax bracket is same isn't it sensible to get good Toyotas.

I didn't knew the prices were so ridiculous, even when i am from near nepal.

I bought a 54 land rover for 74k NC about 7 years ago. and let the owner retain the plates as i thought it of no value as i was taking it as a parts donor.

I realized later that i could have sold the commercial plates and RC copy for a good price. This is also a fact in nepal.

Last edited by SirAlec : 27th August 2010 at 23:50.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 00:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalken View Post
Ajoy,

I do not like the DI bolero, my office has a crew cab (Bolero camper) which I sometime drive. I like something that can do 100 plus effortlessly. I am not a fast driver, but I like to have it should I want to use it.

Can you tell what is the top speed DI bolero reaches without much effort and what is the NVH level inside cabin in that speed?
It was a couple of years ago, so I do not remember, but there was practically no where on the project road where we could hit 100+ in Mizoram. The NHV would be same as you Crew Cab, but can be reduced a lot with proper insulation. Why I like the DI engine for hilly terrain is due to the fact that 100+ is an exception and 40-60 the norm, and that is where DI engine excells, accelerating effortlessly in third or fourth, while it can slug it out at low speeds in mud and snow.

In case you want a faster vehicle, you may have to go with the 2.2 CRDI engine of either Scorpio or Safari. Bolero being lighter would be better in slush and snow. A viable option is to look for a five year old Pajero which will give you both the speed as well as a fully loaded SUV.
Aroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 07:23   #18
BHPian

Sir Alec, Namaste Daju,

Foreign cars are priced very heavily. When the Indian cars are not cheap, why would foreign car dealers keep their prices on par with Indian cars. I think only the Hyundai Tucson is reasonably priced, it is because the importer did something fishy.

They undervalued the Tucson @ US$ 9,000 whereas it should have been US$ 18,000. Government found it out and seized all the Tucsons waiting for custom clearance before all this, you could get a brand new Tucson for as low 18 L INR. The price of brand new Tucson went from 18 L INR to 27.5 L INR. Now they have settled the dispute, the price is agreed around $ 14 k or something so now it retails at 24.6 L INR. Japanese are pretty expensive, A RAV4 costs 46L INR. You have to be VERY rich to buy a Japanese SUV.

You have some confusion. I think there was a policy years ago by Nepal government to get rid of vehicles older than 20 years, so they had a policy where one could scrap their registration numbers and get 30% waiver on custom duty to import similar vehicle. At that time old RC papers would sell well. Now it has stopped.

I don't know what the Road Tax rule is in India. I heard it is once in a lifetime. You pay for road tax once and never pay it again in yearly basis. In Nepal things are different for tax too.

A vehicle upto 2000 or 2500 cc (I am not sure exactly) has to pay around 10 K INR per year as road tax. A higher cc will have to pay more than 15K INR per year on road tax.

If a vehicle is more than 20 years old, it will have to pay extra road tax. For example, in its 21nd year, it will have to pay 110% of tax. In 22nd, 120% and so on.

So your 54 model landrover would have to pay 56 K INR this year as road tax. The motor mafias control the policy.

Last edited by nepalken : 28th August 2010 at 07:39. Reason: typing mistakes and forgot add something
nepalken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 09:04   #19
BANNED

hi Nepalken, i have made a visit to nepal in april this year, i visited kathmandu and pokhra, its a nice place but definetely not a nice place to buy a car and that too indian, i have seen that there are maruti 800 which are used as taxis, COOL
if you need to buy a car i would suggest not to go for indian car, i have seen in nepal most of the cars are toyotas or you should catch hold of tucson as well.
there are huge number of toyotas, nissan, suzuki and i think has the most number of imported cars and bikes than in india, that is mainly due to your 200% duty slab as the person will like to buy a imported rather than indian car.

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 28th August 2010 at 09:06.
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2010, 22:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir Alec, Namaste Daju,

Foreign cars are priced very heavily. When the Indian cars are not cheap, why would foreign car dealers keep their prices on par with Indian cars. I think only the Hyundai Tucson is reasonably priced, it is because the importer did something fishy.

They undervalued the Tucson @ US$ 9,000 whereas it should have been US$ 18,000. Government found it out and seized all the Tucsons waiting for custom clearance before all this, you could get a brand new Tucson for as low 18 L INR. The price of brand new Tucson went from 18 L INR to 27.5 L INR. Now they have settled the dispute, the price is agreed around $ 14 k or something so now it retails at 24.6 L INR. Japanese are pretty expensive, A RAV4 costs 46L INR. You have to be VERY rich to buy a Japanese SUV.

You have some confusion. I think there was a policy years ago by Nepal government to get rid of vehicles older than 20 years, so they had a policy where one could scrap their registration numbers and get 30% waiver on custom duty to import similar vehicle. At that time old RC papers would sell well. Now it has stopped.

I don't know what the Road Tax rule is in India. I heard it is once in a lifetime. You pay for road tax once and never pay it again in yearly basis. In Nepal things are different for tax too.

A vehicle upto 2000 or 2500 cc (I am not sure exactly) has to pay around 10 K INR per year as road tax. A higher cc will have to pay more than 15K INR per year on road tax.

If a vehicle is more than 20 years old, it will have to pay extra road tax. For example, in its 21nd year, it will have to pay 110% of tax. In 22nd, 120% and so on.

So your 54 model landrover would have to pay 56 K INR this year as road tax. The motor mafias control the policy.
Thats enlightening.
mo ta chakai paray.

I bought the 54 from Dharan, it was on working order, all i was interested in at that time was its crank shaft which matches mine.
Someone told me that you can keep the plates and sell the vehicle in Nepal.

In India different states has different rule, for Eg WB you have to pay tax every year, it not that expensive. In rajasthan and Gujarat you pay 4-10% depending upon the type of vehicle you buy. and never have to pay tax for 15 years, after that its renewed for next 5 years at nominal charges.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2010, 11:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir Alec, Namaste Daju,

As discussed in previous posts, Indian SUV with 200% duty is simply not worth it. It is better to get one from the global market place.

Can you import on your own? One option that can be investigated is to get a good second hand SUV - Toyota or Pajero. Normally three year old SUV are available at rock bottom prices in Europe. A lot of them land up in the Middle East especially Dubai. Yesterday I watched Discovery Turbo episode on auction of SUV in UK market, the prices were unbelievable. Good three year old SUV with less than 40,000 miles going for 10-12,000, that is the price has dropped 75% or more in three years.

Under such conditions a good Toyota Prado should be round $ 10,000 and with duty and other charges come to 20 Lac

Just googled and found this interesting item Japanese Used Toyota Rav4 X SUV 1998 07091634E From Japan Export Import

Also this one which states that Captiva is launched in Nepal at 58.5 lac! Chevrolet Captiva launched in Nepal | ktm2day ||| ktm2day.
That is some markup! 20 lac car costing 37 lacs (160 nepal = 100 indian rupees)
Old 29th August 2010, 21:27   #22
BHPian

Aroy,

We can't import second hand vehicles. Against the rules
Old 30th August 2010, 11:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aroy,

We can't import second hand vehicles. Against the rules
I guess that may queer the pitch, but the following link is very explicit. How To Import Used Cars In Nepal and Useful Resources | Nepal Auto Trade

I will try and get the current import information from the Nepal Government site. In the mean time you could confirm if the above site is correct or out dated.
Old 30th August 2010, 12:58   #24
BHPian

nepalken,

I think that you get the octroi refund if you buy an Indian manufactured ( although can be a Japanese brand) car. So, a Toyota, Suzuki, Hyundai manufactured in India would still save some money for the diesel ( since its so expensive there) or petrol after buying the SUV, whereas if you get a Jap/Korean/others manufactured there, then you don't get that benefit.
Do check that out, as I am fairly certain that you get that benefit on Indian cars
v-drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 16:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you go in for a used 4x4 like a Isuzu trooper/Big horn, i htink that would fit in your budget.Btw are there any auctions held for govt vehicles?
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 21:07   #26
BHPian

Aroy, I think the website is outdated. I wish I could import second hand vehicles here. My pick would be Hilux surf. http://www.nepalautotrade.com/stock/...f--121118.html . Cheap and Best

Vdrive , not sure about octroi price. Indian cars are not cheaper here too. Maruti 800 costs 6.5 Lacs INR.

Agspins, Isuzu trooper/Big horn, I tried to find them but finding good ones is really hard. My mechanic tells me that Isuzu when old, have a habit of rusting chassis.

Are you allowed to import second hand vehicles in India like 20 years old, 1992/1993?

Last edited by nepalken : 30th August 2010 at 21:14.
Old 31st August 2010, 09:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aroy, I think the website is outdated. I wish I could import second hand vehicles here. My pick would be Hilux surf. Japanese Used Toyota Hilux Surf SUV 1992 970 From Japan Export Import . Cheap and Best

Vdrive , not sure about octroi price. Indian cars are not cheaper here too. Maruti 800 costs 6.5 Lacs INR.

Agspins, Isuzu trooper/Big horn, I tried to find them but finding good ones is really hard. My mechanic tells me that Isuzu when old, have a habit of rusting chassis.

Are you allowed to import second hand vehicles in India like 20 years old, 1992/1993?
As far as I can recollect, we can import both new cars as well as old cars in India. Unfortunately the duty structure is skewed, 100% for new cars and 200% for old cars!

New cars below US$ 40,000/ are restricted to a few categories of users, hence only large expensive cars can be practically imported by a normal citizen.
Old 31st August 2010, 10:01   #28
BHPian

@Aroy. That is justified for India, as it has its own automotive production. People in India are lucky enough to have access to cheap cars no pun intended.

In Nepal, cars are not necessity, it is luxury as per government.
Old 31st August 2010, 10:02   #29
BHPian

Holy god, these prices are sure crazy.

Just to get an idea, which is the cheapest car in nepal, how much does a Maruthi 800 cost there ?

How much does petrol cost there.
jp2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 10:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Aroy. That is justified for India, as it has its own automotive production. People in India are lucky enough to have access to cheap cars no pun intended.

In Nepal, cars are not necessity, it is luxury as per government.
Cars are deemed to be "luxury" in India and taxed accordingly. When I bought my first 800 in 1991, I was struck by the fact that the detailed price breakup showed half the price as taxes, and this did not take into account the taxes paid for the components sourced by the manufacturers.