Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 11th October 2010, 11:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
Used is out of the question. Is Mahindra service seriously better than TATA?
Based on what I've read on this forum itself, I don't think so. Its six of one & half a dozen of the other. At least TML are generous with their warranty replacements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
As far as my experience goes, Mahindra A.S.S is much better than TATA though not as good as toyota.
Actually, there are quite a few reports on the Scorpio issues thread about how the ASCs try & take people for a ride whenever they get an opportunity. For example -
Quote:
i have not had much issues in these 35k kms except for one AC issue for which i had to shell Rs. 3k, that too under warranty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I remember us discussing this issue earlier. It was a faulty cooling coil right? I got the same covered under warranty(including labor) and didn't have to pay anything.However, this was only after intervention by Mahindra. The Mahindra folks gave the service manager an earful when one of their reps had hinted that I would have to bear the labor charges. They were so terrified that they didn't even charge me for a washing the car. The fact is that everything for the cooling coil job should have been covered under warranty.

There's an earlier post by M Upreti where he/she has mentioned that the suspension bushes were changed under warranty. However the rep at G3 told me that I would have to pay for them separately. Why are there different standards at different ASCs? Or are our ASCs trying to rip us off?
Quote:
Of course. Typically mahindra...
What you did was right. Even i enquired with the SA that why i had to pay 3k for something which is covered under warranty. the SA said that is the norm. when i told them that this will be escalated to mahindra, they did say sorry. but thats about it. i dont expect to get my money back anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
If people like us itself forgo such cost what do you expect the normal Joe to do? Similar incident at TASS where they charged me for alignment and balancing and for which I paid. I got this amount reduced in my next service bill, basically meaning I got a refund of that amount. I suggest you do not let go of the amount. It is not the amount that is matters here, but the way these centers work. But, its your call.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 12:01   #17
Team-BHP Support

Guys, let us not turn this into Tata vs Mahindra war. Stick to recommendations only - Support Team.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 12:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

You can count another vote for XYLO as I am also a XYLO owner. It is cheap and best thing you can get labelled with MUV for 8.5L OTR(E4). It will serve you all the purpose. If you can afford another 1.5L then you can buy the Innova base variant also.
shishir_bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 14:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

of course Suman, that is the reason i said Toyota's A.S.S is the best. mahindra's A.S.S i feel is relatively better than TATA's but that does not mean they are saints, in any way. you have just quoted a few posts, i have written numerous posts in this forum where i have criticized their A.S.S.! but then there are many more 'threads' on safaris & various other cars too, we cant keep quoting everything here!

but point to note here is the reliablity of mahindras are better & so the number of issues would be relatively lesser in mahindras (xylo/scorpio) than tatas (grande/safari) & so a xylo would need lesser trips to the A.S.S.

of course, thats my personal opinion based again on my personal experiences & observations. so as samurai suggested, lets just stick to recommendations.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 11th October 2010 at 14:09.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 15:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so a xylo would need lesser trips to the A.S.S.
That wasn't what Holysmoke was asking - he was asking about the A.S.S. as such & not which vehicle would require lesser trips to the A.S.S........
Quote:
lets just stick to recommendations.
Yup, I agree, I had recommended a Xylo (refer 2nd post on this thread)

Last edited by suman : 11th October 2010 at 15:21.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2010, 22:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Lesser trips to the A.S.S + Bad A.S.S. = Bad ownership experience
More trips to A.S.S + Bad A.S.S. = Very bad ownership experience

Thats what i meant!

Anyways, if you are also looking at the bolero, i have got the recent price list. i had taken the quotation as we are buying one for our company usage.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 15:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

I would strongly recommend against the Bolero unless it is not for personal/family use.
I would recommend either the Innova, the Xylo or the Grande, in that order.
New or used is your call.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 12:18   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For office use, you need something with a VFM price, robustness and space. I'd highly recommend the Grande MK II. It's amongst the most reliable Tata vehicles (has super reliability ratings in our ownership reviews), is spacious enough, has excellent ride and the new engine is a peppy unit. Sure, its old and if modernity matters to you, the best other option is the Xylo. Take a spin in the Grande, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 12:22   #24
Team-BHP Support

I test drove the Sumo Grande Mk2. I found its drive characteristics very similar to my Wagon R.

Except that its bigger. Much bigger.
Even the turning radius was a pleasant surprise.

Do take a test drive. Its a little different looking, but is ok looking in black.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 12:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

dev - this post is like a riddle - are you stimulating lateral thinking or what?
basically am I right in understanding as follows?
you would not recommend the bolero for personal and family usage. full stop. right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I would strongly recommend against the Bolero unless it is not for personal/family use..
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 13:40   #26
BHPian

I have migrated from hatchbacks/sedans over a period of time to the Bolero. Its not that bad as its made out to be. Mine is an XD3P. In fact, its more comfortable than the first gen Scorpio. Ofcourse, the DI sounds coarse and vibrates more.
jeeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2010, 13:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

yes I agree with you. my old Bolero was an XD3PU and I really liked it.
However, now things have moved on and there are a number of better options available in the marketplace. Constant innovation and upgradation means that the consumer at that budget has a lot more options available. The Storm is certainly an overpriced beast.

yes I also agree that the DI engine is quite a noisy and chuggy agricultural tractor type thing. But it is in its way a good engine, with good FE and good torque.

Yet, between the Bolero GLX with XD3PU engine and Storm Crde engine there is a world of difference in engine performance and refinement. But the rest of the vehicle could do with a serious upgrade. Ergonomics, NVH, comfort, responsiveness, braking, other handling characteristics etc leave a great deal to be desired.

If one were to have to make a choice between the Storm Bolero and the Scorpio LX with the Mhawk engine, then the Mhawk is certainly streets above in terms of comfort, performance, NVH, braking, general refinement and in other general terms as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
I have migrated from hatchbacks/sedans over a period of time to the Bolero. Its not that bad as its made out to be. Mine is an XD3P. In fact, its more comfortable than the first gen Scorpio. Ofcourse, the DI sounds coarse and vibrates more.
Old 13th October 2010, 20:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
you would not recommend the bolero for personal and family usage. full stop. right?
Yes yes. Sorry for sounding like...I dunno

Anyway, One of the first vehicles I had experienced was a metallic silver Bolero XDP GLX. It was indeed smooth, had good upholstery, a nice looking dashboard which was made of much better material than now and lesser vibrations. I can describe what parts have gone under the knife if someone wants me to.

Over the years, with the launch of the Bolero DI/Sportz/DI-Turbo and the likes including the VLX, M&M have cut costs ruthlessly with it and what remains "original" is just the bodyshell.

Please avoid the current Bolero.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 11:17   #29
BHPian

So guys it seems like I am finalizing on the Xylo.

I am happy with the features offered to me in the D2 version. This version has the DI engine, (which I was under the impression was a Brand new engine, because i thought DI meant Direct Injection.) The other option is the MEagle engine. I didnt really want to go for the Meagle engine as it is quite powerful and I dont want to give my drivers that much power in a car without airbags/abs.

Should I go for the mDI Crde Engine? or is it worth spending a bit more and going for the MEagle Crde?
holysmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 11:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

M2Di is NOT a Crde engine. This is a Bolero engine which is doing duty in the budget versions of Scorpio (M2Di) and Xylo.

Please dont compromise if you're looking for comfort, refinement and better tech. The mEagle Crde engine is worth it. Think if you are sitting in the car and want to be driven at a better speed. With that M2Di engine you will definitely get irritated, given the car is quite heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
So guys it seems like I am finalizing on the Xylo.

I am happy with the features offered to me in the D2 version. This version has the DI engine, (which I was under the impression was a Brand new engine, because i thought DI meant Direct Injection.) The other option is the MEagle engine. I didnt really want to go for the Meagle engine as it is quite powerful and I dont want to give my drivers that much power in a car without airbags/abs.

Should I go for the mDI Crde Engine? or is it worth spending a bit more and going for the MEagle Crde?