Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2010, 12:20   #1
Newbie
 
Prometheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia/Delhi
Posts: 18
Thanked: 0 Times
Arrow Mahindra Scorpio - VLX AT - Comments!

Hello fellow BHPians!

I've been meaning to pick up an SUV for a while now. Based on budget the only options I had were the Scorpio & Safari. After a little research I dropped the Safari because:
  1. From family & friends that own Safaris, they claim its a high maintenance vehicle.
  2. After 10000kms or so, if one goes over a 100km/hr the vehicle (apparently) tends to shudder.
  3. The 2011 Safari will be based on the Aria platform, and from what I see from spy pics it will look nothing like the old Safari - I don't want to end up feeling bad for myself
Moving on, Scorpio being my choice I have decided to go for the VLX AT 2WD. However before I book my vehicle I'd like to get your views on my decision. The primary purpose of the Scorpio would be to visit construction sites & mines. Of-course there will be occasional off-roading and long drives with the wifey . Also what accessories & gadgets would you suggest I invest in?

Cheers!
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 12:56   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 1,715 Times
Default

To begin with, congratulations on your desicion to buy the segment leader.
Since you intend to use it at construction sites and the like and can afford an AT, why not spend some more and go in for a 4x4 variant?
You can postpone your accessories for a later time if you are going out of budget.

Also, since you mentioned occasional off roading, a 4x4 is more suitable is what I feel.

Coming to accessories, I would recommend a good quality sunfilm, rubber mats for the floor, fabric seat covers and an ICE upgrade if you feel like.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 14:11   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 1,006 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Hello fellow BHPians!
Moving on, Scorpio being my choice I have decided to go for the VLX AT 2WD. However before I book my vehicle I'd like to get your views on my decision. The primary purpose of the Scorpio would be to visit construction sites & mines. Of-course there will be occasional off-roading and long drives with the wifey . Also what accessories & gadgets would you suggest I invest in?

Cheers!
I would also suggest 4x4, as that would give you extra maneuverability on site. Even though the mine access roads are good enough for trucks carrying the mined stuff, in my experience they tend to have deep potholes and a lot of mud, slush and loose debris. That is where the 4x4 will prove useful.

I am a proponent of MT, as failure of AT (as in case of Pramod) requires factory experts and associated down time.

For your regular visits to site I would recommend protection -

- Engine sump guard
- Differential guards
- sturdy guards for the side steps (rock sliders?)
- A well designed front and rear bull bar, capable of absorbing 10-15km/h hits
- Head, tail and side light grills.
- And of course coat the 4x4 electricals with rubber cement, as these have been reported to be primary reason for 4x4 failure of Scorpios during off roading

In case the mines are dusty, you would have to change the air filter much ahead of the recommended time, normally in half to one third.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 21:08   #4
Newbie
 
Prometheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia/Delhi
Posts: 18
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
To begin with, congratulations on your desicion to buy the segment leader.
Since you intend to use it at construction sites and the like and can afford an AT, why not spend some more and go in for a 4x4 variant?
You can postpone your accessories for a later time if you are going out of budget.

Also, since you mentioned occasional off roading, a 4x4 is more suitable is what I feel.

Coming to accessories, I would recommend a good quality sunfilm, rubber mats for the floor, fabric seat covers and an ICE upgrade if you feel like.
Hello n.devdath! Thank you for your reply and my apologies for the delayed reply. I had been out of town for a little over a week.

I was thinking about getting the 4x4 variant, but at the end of the day decided against it since I don't see the need for it. The sites I visit are more or less toned down and there is no need for a 4WD vehicle. Plus I have owned 4WD vehicles in the past and I have come to understand that:
  1. 4WD does not make driving safer. Driving straight 4WD does not offer much in stability either.
  2. 4WD does not help you go faster.
  3. 4WD does not help you stop the vehicle.
Moreover (from past experience again) I have learnt that automatic 4WD is a sophisticated 2WD system offered under misleading names like "rue 4WD" or "TOD" (torque on demand). It should be called part time AWD...works pretty well on pavement under slippery conditions but is absolutely useless off-road.

In terms of accessories and add-ons I have decided on the following (please feel free to add, remove or criticize):
  1. Backlit directional compass
  2. Reverse camera with 3" LCD screen
  3. Metallic foil auto windshield reflective sunshade visor
  4. Door visors
  5. Universal relaxation vibrating car back massage cushion
  6. Universal car 12 volt emergency auto starter
  7. Heavy duty towing strap rope (3.5m length)
  8. Auto window closers (power window relay)
  9. Silencer cover
  10. Reading lamp (back seat)
  11. AutoForm seat covers (either the Ultra Plus, the U Joy or the U Arrow range)
  12. Transparent rubber mats
  13. Quality sunfilm
As for the ICE upgrade, I have been thinking about using a decent touch screen 7" Android tablet (around Rs. 7000 on ebay.in) along with the stock system. The tablet will serve the purpose of movies, navigation, music, photos, email and internet on the go (using 3G). The stock system will aid with CDs, radio and bluetooth. With a little tinkering here and there I could place a neat looking external switcher that would assist switching between the speaker connection to the stock system and the tablet....or I could just use the 3.5mm audio jack from the tablet to connect to the aux port in the stock system. The only thing I am worried about here is where to place the tablet...I was thinking about placing it right above the central bezel. Any suggestions?

Look forward to hearing from you soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I would also suggest 4x4, as that would give you extra maneuverability on site. Even though the mine access roads are good enough for trucks carrying the mined stuff, in my experience they tend to have deep potholes and a lot of mud, slush and loose debris. That is where the 4x4 will prove useful.

I am a proponent of MT, as failure of AT (as in case of Pramod) requires factory experts and associated down time.

For your regular visits to site I would recommend protection -

- Engine sump guard
- Differential guards
- sturdy guards for the side steps (rock sliders?)
- A well designed front and rear bull bar, capable of absorbing 10-15km/h hits
- Head, tail and side light grills.
- And of course coat the 4x4 electricals with rubber cement, as these have been reported to be primary reason for 4x4 failure of Scorpios during off roading

In case the mines are dusty, you would have to change the air filter much ahead of the recommended time, normally in half to one third.
Hello Aroy! My apologies for the delayed reply. Was out of town.

To start off with the 4WD - please refer to reply to n.devdath - my reasons for not going for the 4x4 variant have been laid out.

As for MT vs AT. Anyday of the week I wouldn't think twice and pick up a MT vehicle. There is nothing like driving a stick. It makes you feel like you own the vehicle and the road. Plus gives you complete control over your ride. HOWEVER March 26, 2008 I was diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder called GBS and was totally paralyzed. I have only started walking again off recent, and can drive MT but I am still pretty weak in the legs and it takes a lot of effort...and hence the AT selection. From what I see it will take me atleast another year to recover 95%...can't put off my purchase until then

As for your other recommendations:
  1. Engine sump guard & differential guards - DEFINITELY!
  2. Rock sliders - don't see much use of them.
  3. Bull bar and rear guard - I definitely want one, but I am not happy with what Mahindra offers or what I see in the market. I would like one made of fiber that carries the color of the vehicle. Any suggestions on third parties manufacturing good guards?
  4. Head, tail and side light grills - I think this completely kills the look of the vehicle.
  5. Rubber cement coating on electricals - while the idea sounds interesting, wouldn't it prove to be a bit of a problem when the vehicle is sent in for servicing?
Thanks!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 24th December 2010 at 09:53. Reason: Please use the EDIT function instead of posting back-to-back posts within 20 minutes. Thanks.
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 22:18   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default

Good choice buddy. there are around 3-5 ownership reports of Scorpio ATs on this forum & a couple of them are 4WD too.

I can understand you dont need a 4WD but then make sure you wont feel bad in a few months & just wish that you had got yourself a 4x4, like me!

From the kind of accessories you are planning, looks like you are looking for a proper off road session!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 23:18   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
TaureanBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 311 Times
Default

Congrats for the choice. I would be watching your thread closely as I have the same selection. Though it would be some time mid next year. I assume you would be buying from delhi so, more interested!

Sometimes, I even debate whether its worth to spend 2L extra from LX to VLX model. But finally there are things which I need badly - AT, Airbags and ABS. So, of course my choice got to be VLX (AT). The last debate left in my mind is whether to go for 4x4 or 4x2. As of now, its 4x2 because I dont see myself offroading too much. Why to carry additional weight and invest extra if I dont intend to use it. But again referring to Raj's point, I just hope that I dont miss 4x4 later on. I would be keeping the vehicle for a long time and I intend to travel a lot, not offroading type though.

You have a loads of accessories planned. I am also interested in the ICE part. You can go for carputer in place of stock ICE but then you loose steering controls which you may not like. There is no space for an additional tablet except on the dashboard. I am looking for a 2DIN system in which probably I can retain the steering controls. I fail to understand why the car stereo companies dont address this issue.

Keep us updated.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 09:09   #7
BHPian
 
live2drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 525
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Moving on, Scorpio being my choice I have decided to go for the VLX AT 2WD.
Congrats on the choice Prometheus. Scorpio is a nice car and you are surely going to enjoy the beast in its AT avatar. I got delivery of my Diamond white AT with AirBags a couple of weeks back. Its a hoot to drive.


Since I've got some accessories for my beast, I have a fair amount of idea about them. Please find my replies in bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
*Bull bar and rear guard - I definitely want one, but I am not happy with what Mahindra offers or what I see in the market. I would like one made of fiber that carries the color of the vehicle. Any suggestions on third parties manufacturing good guards?

Though I am not a huge fan of Bull bars, I HAD to get one just to keep those pesky auto-rickshaws, bikers away from kissing my bumper.

Those available at Mahindra were horrendously overpriced and the choice was limited. I sourced a nice Bull Bar from Bimbra Industries, Shankar Rd, New Rajendra Ngr. Exactly what you looking for. Please let me know in case you want me to post a pic of the same.


*Head, tail and side light grills - I think this completely kills the look of the vehicle.

Please avoid them. Looks cheap at best, IMHO.

*Sunfilm

Purchased ;VKool sunfilm for sides and rear. More details can be found here.

*Seat Covers

I've ordered AutoForm U Cross seatcovers in dual color, matching the interior scheme. Yet to get them fitted.

*Reverse camera with 3" LCD screen

I don't think there's a need for a reverse camera. The reverse sensors are quite sufficient for the purpose, atleast for me.
Please feel free to post your queries on this thread. I'll be glad to answer them.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 09:23   #8
Newbie
 
Prometheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia/Delhi
Posts: 18
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Good choice buddy. there are around 3-5 ownership reports of Scorpio ATs on this forum & a couple of them are 4WD too.

I can understand you dont need a 4WD but then make sure you wont feel bad in a few months & just wish that you had got yourself a 4x4, like me!

From the kind of accessories you are planning, looks like you are looking for a proper off road session!
haha...thank you Raj, but I'm pretty sure I won't be needing a 4x4. the accessories I am getting just as safety and security to the vehicle. The site & mine roads I visit aren't that bad...I've been tackling them with a 16 year old Maruti Suzuki Zen for a few months now :P I'm pretty sure my Scorpio can take them easy
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 09:41   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default

Of course, accessories i would recommend are-

1) good ICE - stock system is crappy.

2) Good leather seat covers. Try haiton, stanley, G sport, ovion instead of Autofoam.

3) a good security system, something which is GPS or atleast GSM based like in my car.

4) Alloys - if you wish too!

I would say avoid door visors & silencer covers as this looks cheap after a while unless its a very high quality one.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 09:51   #10
Newbie
 
Prometheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia/Delhi
Posts: 18
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Congrats for the choice. I would be watching your thread closely as I have the same selection. Though it would be some time mid next year. I assume you would be buying from delhi so, more interested!

Sometimes, I even debate whether its worth to spend 2L extra from LX to VLX model. But finally there are things which I need badly - AT, Airbags and ABS. So, of course my choice got to be VLX (AT). The last debate left in my mind is whether to go for 4x4 or 4x2. As of now, its 4x2 because I dont see myself offroading too much. Why to carry additional weight and invest extra if I dont intend to use it. But again referring to Raj's point, I just hope that I dont miss 4x4 later on. I would be keeping the vehicle for a long time and I intend to travel a lot, not offroading type though.

You have a loads of accessories planned. I am also interested in the ICE part. You can go for carputer in place of stock ICE but then you loose steering controls which you may not like. There is no space for an additional tablet except on the dashboard. I am looking for a 2DIN system in which probably I can retain the steering controls. I fail to understand why the car stereo companies dont address this issue.

Keep us updated.
Thank you!

I forgot to update my current location...I've moved to Bhubaneswar, so the purchase would be here. However I intend to source my accessories, add-ons, etc from Delhi since the options out here are limited.

The 2L extra is definitely worth it. The airbags and ABS are a savior. I recently lost an uncle in a road crash...had his vehicle had airbags he would still be with us today.

As for 4x4 vs 4x2 I suggest you just stick with the 4x2 variant. As you mentioned it is just carrying around a lot of weight and until and unless you're looking at serious off-roading I don't see use of it.

Its funny you mentioned a carputer...I actually have one built running Centrafuse 2, but I don't think I'll install it in the Scorpio...I'm thinking about getting that installed in my City instead. And I have no intention of losing steering controls...whatever I do, I'll keep the stock system in place and use the tablet as an add-on.

Okay you have kinda lost me here
"I am looking for a 2DIN system in which probably I can retain the steering controls. I fail to understand why the car stereo companies dont address this issue."

The VLX already comes with a 2DIN system with steering mounted controls...I assumed you knew this because you mentioned steering mounted controls prior to this statement.
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 09:55   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
TaureanBull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 311 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Congrats on the choice Prometheus. Scorpio is a nice car and you are surely going to enjoy the beast in its AT avatar. I got delivery of my Diamond white AT with AirBags a couple of weeks back. Its a hoot to drive.


Since I've got some accessories for my beast, I have a fair amount of idea about them. Please find my replies in bold:



Please feel free to post your queries on this thread. I'll be glad to answer them.
I would be nice if you can post the pics of these accessories for the bneefit of all. There is very little information about the products and places in Delhi in the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post

4) Alloys - if you wish too!

I would say avoid door visors & silencer covers as this looks cheap after a while unless its a very high quality one.
Dont you get alloys in the VLX & VLX (AT) versions? The website says that.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 10:03   #12
BHPian
 
live2drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 525
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
2) Good leather seat covers. Try haiton, stanley, G sport, ovion instead of Autofoam.
Any particular reasons for avoiding AutoForm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I would be nice if you can post the pics of these accessories for the bneefit of all. There is very little information about the products and places in Delhi in the forum.
Sure TB, I shall post the pic of BullBar today, Seats when I get them done.

Quote:
Dont you get alloys in the VLX & VLX (AT) versions? The website says that.
Yes, alloys are standard on VLX.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 10:17   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Dont you get alloys in the VLX & VLX (AT) versions? The website says that.
i meant better aftermarket alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Any particular reasons for avoiding AutoForm?
when i was about to install seat covers for my scorpio, i did check out Autoform. i was not too impressed by the designs & quality. just my opinion.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 10:17   #14
Newbie
 
Prometheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia/Delhi
Posts: 18
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Congrats on the choice Prometheus. Scorpio is a nice car and you are surely going to enjoy the beast in its AT avatar. I got delivery of my Diamond white AT with AirBags a couple of weeks back. Its a hoot to drive.


Since I've got some accessories for my beast, I have a fair amount of idea about them. Please find my replies in bold:



Please feel free to post your queries on this thread. I'll be glad to answer them.
Bimbra definitely carries what I'm looking for! I spent all of yesterday on Google looking for a third party manufacturing nice looking bull bars...none got my attention...but Bimbra is a definite source! Thanks a ton! If it isn't too much trouble, a few pics would be definitely appreciated.

You're right about the light grills - I'm not getting those done.

Sunfilm - I've already selected VKool

Seat covers - How long does it take Autoform to make delivery?

ICE - How would you rate the stock system? Would you suggest speaker or tweeter upgrades?

I've also ordered my VLX in white. I've been thinking about getting my front grille painted in black. Have you seen the Scorpio spied in the US? Here's a link to the pic. I think it looks real nice with the black grille...what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Of course, accessories i would recommend are-

1) good ICE - stock system is crappy.

2) Good leather seat covers. Try haiton, stanley, G sport, ovion instead of Autofoam.

3) a good security system, something which is GPS or atleast GSM based like in my car.

4) Alloys - if you wish too!

I would say avoid door visors & silencer covers as this looks cheap after a while unless its a very high quality one.
ICE - When you say the stock system is crappy, do you mean just the front end or are you referring to the speakers as well? I notice you have an impressive set-up and so I am in no way asking you to compare the Scorpios stock to your personal set-up...lol. I tested it out in the showroom and it seemed decent enough.

Car security - I am definitely getting this installed. Especially after I read about an attempted theft on your vehicle. For the record, do you have any idea if the current gen Scorpios have a pin protected engine immobilizer as well? I don't remember the sales man mentioning anything about it...and I don't remember reading about it on their website either!
Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 10:20   #15
BHPian
 
live2drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 525
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
when i was about to install seat covers for my scorpio, i did check out Autoform. i was not too impressed by the designs & quality. just my opinion.
Will wait to pass any judgement until I see them fitted on my car.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Scorpio VLX A/T 4WD - anyone got it? SS-Traveller SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 341 20th November 2011 23:32
Scorpio Vlx or Bolero Vlx vraghuz SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 22 6th July 2010 22:39
Mahindra Scorpio m-Hawk Vlx A test drive review krikah Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 9 11th December 2009 12:17
3 months 10K kms Mahindra Scorpio VLX mHawk pramods Long-Term Ownership Reviews 103 9th December 2009 11:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks