Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 24th July 2012, 23:18   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Help choose - Innova petrol or diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajanvr View Post
I am in a dilemma , petrol or diesel Innova. please help. The cost difference is 2.3 L. My running around is going to be around 50 to 60 kms a day and an occasional highway outing.
With that kind of a running i would definitely recommend a diesel. It will save you money in running and even resale will be better than the petrol model.

Petrol innova's are almost unheard of these days. there are a couple of threads on details financials/break even of petrol vs diesel which can be useful.
funkyp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 23:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am in a dilemma , petrol or diesel Innova. please help. The cost difference is 2.3 L. My running around is going to be around 50 to 60 kms a day and an occasional highway outing.
I don't see what your dilemma is all about. Your approximate running of about 1500+ KMS a month definitely warrants a diesel. Factor in the poor resale of petrol cars and this becomes a bit of a no-brainer.

If you hang on to the car for quite some time, this makes the decision even easier, but this one factor wouldn't be a deal-breaker either. Go with the Diesel Innova, it's the more popular option for a good reason.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 23:23   #18
BHPian

Seriously? Go with a diesel with eyes shut. Don't even give Petrol a thought. 50-60 kms a day and within a month of purchase you would be wondering if diesel was worth the premium. With your running it is worth every single penny my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajanvr
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 23:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dr Rajan - Blindly its a Diesel anyday. Petrol will burn a hole in your pocket. The mileage is 7-9 kmpl on petrol whereas in diesel its 12 kmpl types and with a Tuning box(E Map), you can achieve 15 kmpl.

Resale on a diesel is unparallelled and you would not even find an interested buyer for petrol.

- Petrol prices are set to increase again and slowly will touch 100 mark, whereas diesel will be in the 55 mark.

I did a small calulation for you and you will break-even in less than 2.5 years approximately at current fuel prices. Given Fuel (petrol) prices are set to rise, you will break even within 2 years.

Petrol
60 kms/day
8 mileage per litre
7.5 litres needed
577.5 Cost spent per day (7.5 X 77/litre)

Rs 5,26,680/- spent in 918 days (2.5 years)

Diesel:
60 kms/day
10 mileage per litre
6 litres needed
270 cost spent per day (6 X 45/litre)

Rs 2,46,240 spent in 918 days (2.5 years) + 230000 (higher initial cost of diesel) = Rs 4,76,240

Last edited by scopriobharath : 24th July 2012 at 23:36.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 23:46   #20
BHPian

Thank you south for your calculations, I just worked out my maths and , you are correct the diesel is the one I must go for. Thank you

I am going to book the diesel 7 seater tomorrow morning. Silky gold is the colour.

Last edited by GTO : 25th July 2012 at 15:19. Reason: STRICTLY no sms / slang language please
drrajanvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 09:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am going to book the diesel 7 seater tomorrow morning. Silky gold is the colour.

Congrats on your purchase and Glad that we could be of help. MY usage of my santro is hardly 7000 kms per annum and i am definitely feeling the pinch of rising petrol prices. I really wish i had purchased a competitor's diesel

Just curious to know whether you are booking the "GX" or "VX".

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th July 2012 at 01:26. Reason: corrected typo as requested
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 16:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post

Congrats on your purchase and Glad that we could be of help. MY usage of my santro is hardly 7000 kms per month and i am definitely feeling the pinch of rising petrol prices. I really wish i had purchased a competitor's diesel

Just curious to know whether you are booking the "GX" or "VX".
I am sure you definetely meant 700km per month(or is it 7000 kms per year?).

BTW, a general question to all- is petrol Innova worth considering for any kind of running per month?

I ask this question because, the 2.5L premium the diesel commands will be recovered in total at the resale time itself, I am not even considering the diesel fuel cost saving. Its a known fact that Innova D commands a premium in the used-car market.

IMO, the petrol Innova should be considered if the running is ridiculously low, not enough to sustain a diesel engine(200-300kms P.M range?).
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 17:00   #23
BHPian

Go for the diesel. We have one in our family which I drive quite frequently. NVH is negligible and the car is very very easy to drive around. Maintainence is also not heavy on the pocket. It goes to service twice a year. On the service where all fluids are changed the cost comes up to 4-5k. The checkup/topup service costs are about 2-3k.
zoombiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 17:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I am sure you definetely meant 700km per month(or is it 7000 kms per year?).
BTW, a general question to all- is petrol Innova worth considering for any kind of running per month?
My bad - its much less than 7000kms per annum.

No, Petrol Innovas are too expensive to run. It is always better to buy a diesel. The average innova buyer keeps it more than 2.5 years (break even).
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 19:52   #25

Congrats.. If you have booked the Diesel Innova, all I can say is GREAT choice.
I am a proud owner of an Innova, 5.5 years and running and has done 73000 kms to date.
Only one big expense of clutch plates change at 55-60K kms, thanks to some bad driving by a "one time hire" driver :( . Else, great car to handle and suits both city driving and long trips.
I had booked a Petrol and was convinced by a Senior Management member of Kirloskar Toyota to go for the Diesel and I have not regretted, though i must say that my thoughts on the Petrol version is based on hearsay and not personal experience.

Happy Driving !!
Libran10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 13:15   #26
BHPian

Took delivery of the Innova diesel, 7 seater. Lovely vehicle. Driven 400 Kim's in just 3days... will post pics soon.
Old 13th August 2012, 15:38   #27
BHPian

When I enquired about petrol version, the SA was zapped. He said that I'm the first customer in one year to enquire about petrol Innova. Anyway, my choice also ended up with Diesel (though my usage is very very limited), as many people advised me that reselling a petrol Innova will be a big issue. My color choice is also Silky Gold Mica metallic.
nistala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 23:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajanvr
Took delivery of the Innova diesel, 7 seater. Lovely vehicle. Driven 400 Kim's in just 3days... will post pics soon.

Name:  image1225614298.jpg
Views: 12503
Size:  212.8 KB

Taking the delivery from ViVa Toyota in Bangalore
Old 30th August 2012, 11:35   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Taking the delivery from ViVa Toyota in Bangalore
Do post your ownership exprience, IMO a diesel is still a far better option even if the price of petrol and diesel are same, it gives almost double the mileage of petrol in many segments.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 11:41   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of the Innova diesel, 7 seater. Lovely vehicle. Driven 400 Kim's in just 3days...
Congratulations!

400 in 3 days? You would have posted instead of smiley if it were petrol. WIll wait for your ownership review.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote