Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 24th October 2010, 11:10   #16
Team-BHP Support

Why don't you look at something else? A Ford Endeavor perhaps? It's a great car and comes with a lot of goodies that you might be interested in. Although, I've read that the middle-row isn't very comfortable, especially for taller passengers.

Is the last-row of seats mandatory for you?
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 10:09   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Between the two options you've listed, the Santa Fe suits your requirements better.

However, neither of the two are truly impressive vehicles. The Santa Fe doesn't ride nor handle particularly well. If I were you, my choice for 25 lakhs would be a:

Pre-worshipped Mitsubishi Montero

- Built tough, will probably outlast you. Made in Japan reliability
- Punchy diesel engine. Negligible turbo lag results in excellent driveability too
- Surprisingly competent off-road
- Excellent ride quality. Decent handling by SUV standards
- Lots of room. 3rd row as good or bad as others
- The facelifts have a super equipment level

There's plenty of them available in North India (and Mumbai too).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 10:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I plan to retire my Innova after its faithful and absolutely niggle free service of 3.5 yrs and 28K kms. Though it is still good but boredom has set in and new set of wheels are required. My requirements are;
In my opinion, it should be XC90.

Volvo cars are known to last for a lifetime, if maintained properly.Check all the service records before buying the pre-worshipped XC90.

XC90 is one of the safest crossover SUV ever made.However,there has been some reports of early transmission failures (T6 variant), but there was no recall.

I want to own a Volvo XC90 in my lifetime, when i can afford one.
SILVERWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 11:02   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd vote for the XC90 too. It's a bigger car and hence would be more spacious. The ride quality, handling, build would be far superior to the Hyundai.
Although I do not buy the Volvo claim of being 'the safest car in the world' but I still believe the XC90 would be much safer/stronger vehicle for the highway when compared to the Santa Fe.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 11:16   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Exactly my recommendation too. Or a pre-owned Toyota LC or Prado.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 11:36   #21
BHPian

Dear Entropy,

I feel brand new Santa-Fe is a better option rather than used Volvo XC90. The Volvo XC90 is good, but I still doubt the build is from Europe. Hence I would have preferred Santa-Fe if both are only compared.

As a secondary opinion, just want to say, Japanese Toyota Fortuner or a Mitsubishi Montero (called as Pajero outside India) can be considered. Have you preferred Toyota Fortuner? This also fits your budget and Toyota's reliability is well known in the world. After sales service is also no problem for Toyota. But wait time is huge.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 25th October 2010 at 11:41.
yogeshnaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 10:07   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I were you, my choice for 25 lakhs would be a:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Exactly my recommendation too.
Entropy, talk about a Montero falling into your lap

Link to '07 Montero for sale in NCR. Within your stated budget too. Take a test and update us.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Entropy, talk about a Montero falling into your lap

Link to '07 Montero for sale in NCR. Within your stated budget too. Take a test and update us.
+1 with GTO since you are already looking at a pre-worshipped car. I think the facelifted montero looks very good. One of my favourite SUV.

Off topic but.. GTO, can we please have a detailed review of the new 2010 montero with 200bhp?

Last edited by magikrider : 2nd November 2010 at 12:48.
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 01:42   #24
BHPian

Entropy, I just saw the show Auto Trader on Discovery Turbo where the host, don't know his name, was helping a couple to buy an SUV who were in a similar dilemma like yours. I switched on half way through the show so missed the first half where they had rejected a Porsche cayenne and a first gen KIA sorento (which has a hyundai engine). So anyways they finally had to decide between a Mitsubishi Shogun (last gen montero) and a Volvo XC90 (current gen). And the winner was the Shogun (Montero) as it was more rugged and more capable offroad where as the volvo was more car like. So a last gen montero was preferred than an XC90!

Last edited by magikrider : 4th November 2010 at 01:54.
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 15:19   #25
BHPian

@entropy

just one question to help you decide what SUV to buy between the santa fe and xc90 -

1. how many volvo showrooms/service stations have you seen in India?

now even if the santa fe might not be as solidly built as a volvo, chances of things going wrong in a new car are lot lesser than things going wrong in a solidly built but pre-owned car. if you are away from the city, and god forbid anything goes wrong - what do you do then?
I get a comfort in knowing that if at all something goes wrong with the car - there is some service centre close by which can help me sort the issue with my car.

my vote : santa fe

** forgot to mention about the handling. though haven't tried the santa fe yet, have been using a tucson - and it handles quiet well.
samyakmodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 11:05   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
1. Volvo cars was owned by Ford and now by a Chinese Co called Geely and not Volvo, so you could leave out that European built car image.
But they are still a European company. They have the best safety record and they won't want to change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Does that apply to Range Rovers and Jags also ?
Again just the ownership has changed. But you can't compare Geely to TATA.

Quote:
or maybe even an X-Trail.

However the Volvo still excites me as it's not so common.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 00:12   #27
BHPian

Default Re: Used XC90 or Santa Fe

Thanks folks for all the good advice.

Finally booked Santa Fe 4WD MT and hope to get delivery before Diwali. My main priorities were safety and 7 seater space. I do not intend for any off roading and this car would be replacing my trusty 4.5 yrs old innova. It seems there are only 3 options in 10 to 30 lakhs range that has ESP, 6 airbags apart from usual ABS/EBD and 7 useable seats and rear AC. Aria was not liked by my wife (fit/finish issue and doubts about reliability) whereas XUV5OO lacks any boot.

I am not an expert car guy like most of the folks here on this forum but do keep following threads.

Looking for options/accessories for this new addition. And yes I do plan to chip this one too. Chipexpress claims some delicious figures for this.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 11:37   #28
BHPian

Just an update I thought I'd share.

My SA told me that the Santa Fe being delivered now is CKD unlike CBU for the initial lot of 600 cars. If this is indeed the case then I think Hyundai are acting a bit too greedy. I'd have presumed that there would be a downward revision of price once it became CKD. Anyway waiting for the delivery date and hope to open an ownership/review thread once I get my hands on this (I couldn't locate any Santa Fe review threads so far).
Old 10th October 2011, 18:07   #29
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Entropy congrats on you choise.

It quite unique that you mention the three cars with ESP + 6 Airbags, 7 seats, rear ac vents and usable rear space plus if i may add a lot of gizmos are the XUV500, Aria and the Santa Fe with the Santafe effectively being about double the price of the XUV500.

On a funny note:
Yep the boot space is lacking in the XUV but you could get two of them plus a spare driver for all your trips in the price of a Santa Fe- just kidding but then..It does bring to the fore that If Hyundai desired then the Santa Fe could have come at a price point close to the Aria if not the XUV making for a really hot selling vehicle vs the numbers they do now.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 15:54   #30
BHPian

Yes Agree to that ACM (Except the two XUV part )
When you look from safety perspective - yes it is indeed shocking that we have a dearth of options for safe/reliable 7 seater SUVs/MUVs.

I couldn't get courage to go for the XUV as I'd rather wait for ver2.0 when it comes. Current package is simply smashing without any doubt - however IMHO it still feels short of the world standards in fit/finish and ergonomics (based on review comments). Also its reliability is yet to be proven in the market. The foreign players would continue to have a field run until our homegrown manufacturers bring the quality at par and still offer a VFM product. That day I feel is not far though looking at the recent pace of development (XUV is a bold and right step in that direction). Till then Santa Fe it is for me.