Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: which car is better for city driving / visibility / minimal body roll / cheap part
Bolero SLX 89 48.11%
sumo grande MKII CX 96 51.89%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th April 2012, 13:45   #241
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra bolero vs Tata sumo grande MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Update time :
Bolero 4x4 is not available to "mango people" (aam aadmi) as per Mahindra dealer. So there goes my Bolero 4x4 dream. Nonetheless, I could get a chance to sit on driver's seat of Bolero.
The Bolero 4x4 is available and Black Pearl from Calcutta bought it a few weeks ago so you too should be able to get it.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 12:12   #242
BHPian

Posting after a long time on this.

The plan has been postponed for the purchase till at least for a Q - thanks to the fantastic hike news from my co.

Thanks Devdath.
Thanks Blackpearl for the PM. However, as I posted earlier, Bolero looks dream car from outside, but does not fit in my requirements from comfort and ergonomics point of view - so not very keen to contact folks in M&M.

And looking at the thread on Safari Storme - if I make the decision in next Q, it would be a match between Storme and Scorpio*

* "Conditions Apply" - if all goes well on hike front
advaitlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 09:49   #243
Team-BHP Support

I had a chance to check out the new Bolero over the weekend, which was bought by a person i know. In terms of the interiors, the new dashboard is a major improvement over the previous rudimentary one, although the digital instrument cluster may not be to everyone's liking.

However, trying to clamber inside is tough for my size, as compared to the Scorpio. In terms of the engine, it appears the Sumo Gold wins hands down, as per the reports from fellow members on this thread.

That said, the Bolero still continues to be a major hit in Kerala owing to its utility value.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 09:33   #244
BHPian

Old habits die hard --- I've changed this to Old dreams die hard.

After my first round of TD of the Bolero, I was so much uncomfortable with the driving ergonomics and space and comfort at the 2nd row bench; had to drop the idea. Its a visual treat for me; but thats not the purpose. I got to be able to drive it in comfort and my family should be confortable as well on the long drives. That was just not what Bolero offered and I walked back cursing M&M for providing such a good vehicle with such a bad ergo-comfort levels.

Cut 2 - Here is something I bumped into last week --- Mahindra Customized Vehicles | Modified Cars | Custom Cars In India.
Its just WOW.
And my Bolero dream is starting new affair with me. Want to retest Bolero ZLX and try to convince the people who would be sitting in 2nd row that it is just perfect for them. . And then opt for one of the mods on this site. What say people???

Keeping fingures crossed for the weekend TD.

Last edited by advaitlele : 6th August 2012 at 09:38.
Old 6th August 2012, 10:07   #245
BHPian

Yeah, It is very good option, but have you checked with the Mahindra Customized Vehicles team, as it may set back you by at least 1 lakh for the front seats and rear bench. They are usually on very higher side. Check with local performance stores in Pune if they can do a decent job by getting you the seats and the modification, the saving can then be used for the suspension. You can go for Bilstein Suspension components which are around 38K. This will improve your ride and handling too.

Quote:

Cut 2 - Here is something I bumped into last week --- Mahindra Customized Vehicles | Modified Cars | Custom Cars In India.
Its just WOW.
And my Bolero dream is starting new affair with me. Want to retest Bolero ZLX and try to convince the people who would be sitting in 2nd row that it is just perfect for them. . And then opt for one of the mods on this site. What say people???

Keeping fingures crossed for the weekend TD.
vrrraju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 11:59   #246
Senior - BHPian

^^ Just my 2 cents, if comfort & long drives is your priority, then you should look at the Sumo instead of the Bolero (in this price range). It's good a much stronger engine & the reliability should be equally good if not better. Moreover, it's got a fabulous suspension to keep all the occupants comfortable over most of the terrain our roads have to offer.

Just add some big wheels to it & a bull-gaurd, that would ensure it does not look like a "Sumo"
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 12:39   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrraju View Post
Yeah, It is very good option, but have you checked with the Mahindra Customized Vehicles team, as it may set back you by at least 1 lakh for the front seats and rear bench. They are usually on very higher side. Check with local performance stores in Pune if they can do a decent job by getting you the seats and the modification, the saving can then be used for the suspension. You can go for Bilstein Suspension components which are around 38K. This will improve your ride and handling too.
Thanks vrrraju. Have never checked out the customization market in Pune. Will have to check it out; thats a very good suggestion. I did check with the Mahindra team and purchase + customisation budget puts the Bolero in Scorpio Vlx (without airbags) bracket. ...So I guess its a step forward and two steps back for me at the moment :(
Am still quite hopeful for the 2nd TD this weekend. keeping fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
^^ Just my 2 cents, if comfort & long drives is your priority, then you should look at the Sumo instead of the Bolero
Thanks Blackfire; but the fact that I am looking at Bolero is due to it playing right strings in my heart. Only two vehicles are playing it right for me at the moment - Bolero and Safari Gx. and I am ok with budget anywhere in between these two. So Sumo is rulded out even before making it to the table.
Old 6th August 2012, 13:28   #248
Senior - BHPian

Frankly in my opinion if you have a budget for Safari GX then close your eyes an pick it, Bolero does not come close in any aspect.

this is from a guy who had made up his mind on Bolero, infact the present look of bolero is stlyish..
but in terms of engine and the handling part it was a big let down...

Quote:

Thanks Blackfire; but the fact that I am looking at Bolero is due to it playing right strings in my heart. Only two vehicles are playing it right for me at the moment - Bolero and Safari Gx. and I am ok with budget anywhere in between these two. So Sumo is rulded out even before making it to the table.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 13:37   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....but the fact that I am looking at Bolero is due to it playing right strings in my heart. Only two vehicles are playing it right for me at the moment - Bolero and Safari Gx. and I am ok with budget anywhere in between these two. So Sumo is rulded out even before making it to the table.
No offense meant and I might be totally off base here, but I get the impression that you are keen on the Bolero majorly due to it's looks. If that's the case, I'd sincerely advise you not to succumb to that temptation. Granted that it'd look good in your garage and also make you appear as a person who doesn't follow the herd, but the cons w.r.t the ergonomics and space and comfort will always make you regret that you didn't pick the Safari instead.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 13:42   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking at Bolero is due to it playing right strings in my heart. Only two vehicles are playing it right for me at the moment - Bolero and Safari Gx. and I am ok with budget anywhere in between these two. So Sumo is rulded out even before making it to the table.
Like most of them have said it Advait, the Safari takes the cake when it comes to space, ergonomics, performance and luxury.

The Bolero would, on the other hand be very very affordable to maintain and use, especially in its Di avatar but is cramped, bumpy, noisy and slow.

If I were you, I d pick the Safari over the Bolero.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 13:50   #251
Team-BHP Support

Advait, like the others have mentioned, go for the Safari GX if you have the budget. You get a 2BHK on wheels as someone once mentioned, and not to forget a much more satisfying drive. When on a limited budget, the Bolero will make do, but in your case you have the budget at your disposal!

Even when i checked out the Bolero, it felt tight.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 14:54   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Its just WOW.
Personally - I wouldnt buy a bolero for 7oddL and then drop another 2-3L to customize it. Like the others have pointed out- if you have the budget for the GX- it might make more sense. 2ndly- as a big stickler for safety - no version of the bolero comes with even ABS (unless something has been changed in the last few months) whereas the GX comes with ABS (which, from what I gathered from your posts, is critical for highway/long distance driving).
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 22:09   #253
BHPian

Hello Team,

I am ready t change my vehicle and need some help in choosing my next vehicle. Now, I am a fan of BOLERO VLX for it's looks and also it falls in my budget. 8.5 lac.
But the issue is, all the reviews I have read for Bolero, most of them are negative..for it's ergonomics and service. Right now I drive the best hatchback on road - SWIFT LDI..i love it's pickup and comfort while driving long road trips. I fear that it will be very painfull to drive bolero on long drives keeping in mind it's seating issues.

I am requetsing Bolero owners for their views and suggestions !!

Best Regards,
Venkat
virgovencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 10:30   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgovencat View Post
Hello Team,

I am ready t change my vehicle and need some help in choosing my next vehicle. Now, I am a fan of BOLERO VLX for it's looks and also it falls in my budget. 8.5 lac.
But the issue is, all the reviews I have read for Bolero, most of them are negative..for it's ergonomics and service. Right now I drive the best hatchback on road - SWIFT LDI..i love it's pickup and comfort while driving long road trips. I fear that it will be very painfull to drive bolero on long drives keeping in mind it's seating issues.

I am requetsing Bolero owners for their views and suggestions !!

Best Regards,
Venkat
I got the last of the VLX Crde (2011) with 100bhp. I think the current versions of Bolero come with 75bhp.

Bolero is like the enfield. You will love it or hate it. Since I am an Enfield owner, there was no question of hate !

My engine run-in for the vehicle was a drive from Madras to Goa.

I have completed 40k in two years with the vehicle.

IMHO, there is no other vehicle that can handle the bad roads or good roads with ease.

Touch wood, I have not had any problems with the vehicle till now. Sure enough, there will always be little niggles here and there, but all-in-all, the vehicle is an absolute dream.

As for traffic in the city, check it out for yourself with a test drive. You will see that just a touch of the horn is enough to make the traffic give way for your vehicle.

A truck rear-ended into my parked bolero near a dhaba, and the damage was a smashed rear-light and a punched body near the rear-tail light. Total cost of repair was 6k.

I will always recommend this over any sedan. There is no other VFM vehicle at this price point.

However, I will always suggest that you take a test drive before deciding on anything.

As for body roll, a good seat cover (Automotive grade art leather) and mandatory seat belt usage for all passengers, seems to have mitigated that complaint too.

And finally, I climbed up kolukkumalai near munnar with my bolero, much to the amazement of the local jeep drivers, who claimed that this is the first white-board vehicle they have seen climb up that mountain in many years (There is no road to that mountain, just a path strewn with rocks).

Shyam
shyamk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 11:11   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamk View Post
As for body roll, a good seat cover (Automotive grade art leather) and mandatory seat belt usage for all passengers, seems to have mitigated that complaint too.
Shyam
In the case of Bolero, perhaps some good dampers (Bilsteins or Ironman stuff) helps reduce the body roll, inturn making the ride a little harsh.
The OE seats were pretty bad (Not sure how it is now). Some better supportive seats will definitely make it comfortable, but has nothing to do with body roll per se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamk View Post
And finally, I climbed up kolukkumalai near munnar with my bolero, much to the amazement of the local jeep drivers, who claimed that this is the first white-board vehicle they have seen climb up that mountain in many years (There is no road to that mountain, just a path strewn with rocks).
Shyam
Drive safe. Is your's a 4x4?
jeeva is offline   Reply With Quote