Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: which car is better for city driving / visibility / minimal body roll / cheap part
Bolero SLX 89 48.11%
sumo grande MKII CX 96 51.89%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd May 2011, 20:49   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra bolero vs Tata sumo grande MKII

@Ashely:

Mahindra makes improvements to their powertrain, purely when forced on them by BS emission norms. The only way we will see a better engine than the DI Turbo is when they cannot sell that crap any longer..
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 15:59   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@Ashely:

Mahindra makes improvements to their powertrain, purely when forced on them by BS emission norms. The only way we will see a better engine than the DI Turbo is when they cannot sell that crap any longer..
Time and again, people choose to use harsh words without realizing there are people who have invested in such "crap" products and are happy too..
May be, few people's expectation is low generally - but calling it names hurts.
G-BoleroBoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 22:38   #93
BHPian

Dear friend, I would never call the DI 'crap'- on the other hand, it is an excellent engine-bulletproof, robust and torquey. But when times are changing where puny maruthis boast greater BHP figures than the Bolero, I think it's time to change to something more powerful. But I do admit that even with the present DI, Bolero is absolute value for money.
Ashley Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 19:14   #94
Senior - BHPian

Any taaja khabar / updates? Called up one dealer here, he says he can deliver a VLX in a month's time.
ashutoshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 10:05   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Any taaja khabar / updates? Called up one dealer here, he says he can deliver a VLX in a month's time.
Hey all,.
I heard there will be an all new Bolero, with new engine and fresh interiors. Any updates? Or is it a hoax?
GrayBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 11:21   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBerry View Post
Hey all,.
I heard there will be an all new Bolero, with new engine and fresh interiors. Any updates? Or is it a hoax?
True. The interiors wont change drastically but the engine will. It will get a few new gizmos as well.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 11:34   #97

Well in terms of low cost ownership Bolero is your option but neither it can compete for clearance nor for easy city ride with Grande MK-II.
motor_brullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 16:28   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
True. The interiors wont change drastically but the engine will. It will get a few new gizmos as well.
When when when?? I am still holding on for the new model, to make a booking :(
ashutoshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 19:46   #99

Default Tata Sumo Gold vs Mahindra Bolero

Dear all,

I am planning for a family mile-cruncher on a tight budget. I want a decent 7 seater; I would travel about 1200km per month on highways and about 300km per month on non-existent roads. Needs decent creature comforts like Power staring and AC and low NVH. Maximum I can spend is 6.2L ex-showroom.

Scratching head between Sumo Gold (CR4 BS4 EX version) and Mahindra Bolero (m2Di BS3 SLE version); your guidance is solicited. I test drove both and here is my opinion:

Positives for Bolero:
- More balance handling
- Lesser NVH
- No Gear lever play
- Looks better
- Good interiors

Negatives for Bolero:
- Cramped space for 2nd row.
- Jump seats - strictly for shorter passengers

Positives for Sumo Gold:
- Loads of space everywhere
- Class leading space at the jump seats
- Decent interiors

Negatives for Sumo Gold:
- Gear lever play on a brand new test drive vehicle!
- Slightly higher level of NVH compared to new Bolero
- Clutch peddle is placed at a greater distance from break peddle; slight awkward compared to other vehicles.

Thanks in advance!
panchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 21:43   #100
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Sumo Gold vs Mahindra Bolero

I have no experience with either of the vehicles. But if I had to pick between the two, I would pick the Bolero over the Sumo. Agreed the Sumo has more space, but the Bolero has proved its worth.

You might want to contact BHPian MileCruncher or BolBloero more more info about the Bolero.
antorquetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 13:00   #101
Senior - BHPian

I would pick the Bolero. It has proved it's mettle over time, it much more reliable and most importantly, looks far better than the Sumo which looks like a cab,
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 14:18   #102
BHPian

The Bolero's DI engine is rock solid, its built tough and the vehicle can take abuses without crying (niggles).

If you are using it for personal/family, take them along with you for TD.
2500cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 15:03   #103
BHPian

Another option would be to try and get your hands on a recently discontinued Bolero VLX CRDe. The advantage you would have, is that it is a way more powerful engine than the DI one, and decently reliable. It will makelong distance touring that much easier for you.
Sumo... I cannot think of a decent reason to pick up apart from the 4x4 option.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 15:26   #104
BHPian

Panchi, I know you will find my question very strange. But you know I had a car accident in February this year in which I broke my femur bone amongst some others. Since then I haven't driven a car (coz I am medically unfit to do it). As soon as I am,I will.

But for the -present- moment I will be greateful if you could write a short paragraph describing your test drive experience of the new Bolero. I have been looking to put up this question for almost 2 months now, but somehow I thought it was a stupid idea (because I was sure to get responses like why a Bolero, its DI engine has its roots in the tractor engine of Mahindra and such other jazz). Therefore the probability of it becoming a Bolero bashing thread was much higher. I of corse didn't wan't that.

Now since you yourself seem to have some inclination towards the Bolero, I PLEASE request you to write a short summary of your drive experience on this vehicle. I know the storm was great a 97 bhp engine and this one is a meager 63. But I know (or at least hope) that there is world beyond numbers. So please tell me how/good or bad is this product from a users perspective?

P.S.: Needless to say, if people other than Panchi have test driven the new Bolero, there comments will be more than welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited by Samridh : 27th December 2011 at 15:29.
Samridh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2011, 15:53   #105
BHPian

Samridh,

I test drove the Bolero a couple of weeks ago, as I am strongly inclined to pick up a Bolero sometime soon.

A summary of my take on the drive -
1. NVH levels very reasonable. With windows rolled up, it felt like a diesel Figo or Fiesta. A little harsher maybe, but then, entirely acceptable for a Bolero!
2. Steering was extremely light and lifeless. A couple of fingers could do the job, but steering feel was non-existent. I did not like it.
3. Brakes were uninspiring too. I drove the Bolero only a few km in the city, and have no first hand experience of its highway manners. But I have reason to believe it should always be driven at or below the 100 kmph mark.
4. Power and torque seemed to be adequate. It delivered better than I expected from the meager numbers on the specs sheet. I had nothing to complain about on that front.
4. Interiors have been improved, but nothing to talk about. It's a car-like jeep, we must remember.
5. Clutch travel was long, but the clutch was pretty light. Not worrying.
6. Gear shifts were acceptably smooth. Again, no worries.

I would be buying the Bolero for its ruggedness and and ability to take abuse, and to comfortably go long distances regardless of road conditions. I'd need a car that cruises with ease without rattling my teeth and bones and not pinch my pocket while at it. Also, the drive train should be sorted enough to make it not feel like I'm driving a country-made truck. I drove the Safari last week, and I can say with confidence that the Bolero's drive train seems to be engineered better.

The Bolero is built strictly for a purpose, and I think it serves that pretty well. It's as imperfect as any human is, and appears outdated to many. However, I'm personally for the vehicle for the frugal and refined diesel engine and its proven build.

Last edited by skandyhere : 27th December 2011 at 15:58.
skandyhere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote