Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 22nd November 2010, 08:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by David95436 View Post
Let me know if anyone thinks what I have in mind is possible. Thanks for all the posts.
As I have suggested earlier, do also try posting your query at India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com to get more opinions.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 20:19   #32
Default Re: Coming from USA; Which 4X4 truck to buy?

DAVID > I think you have not understood the reall danger the members in this forum are trying to convey regarding your safety, a camping trip like DEATH VALLEY in a remote uncivilised place in India may be your DEATH WARRANT beware!! sorry for the crude language but i think you will understand the seriousness of the issue better now.
sathyaprakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 23:00   #33
Senior - BHPian

David you better apply for an arms lisence also when you come to india!

it will be helpful when you are alone in the wilderness.

as fellow members have suggested you better get a fortuner if you could manage with its close interior.

if you still want a truck, get a xexon and modify it according to your taste and needs. it would still end up cheaper than dragging your tacoma all the way to india!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 23:21   #34

I dont know how long you plan to stay or how much time you have for preparations. But my suggestion would be buy a SUV (like say a old Landcruiser/ New Fortuner or whatever you fancy) and set up the overhead tent instead of bringing your present camper. And you cant just camp anywhere in India. Either it will be the bad guys who trouble you or the "good guys" the police people who will ask for all sort of permissions + give you head ache for the camper in your boot.

Reference to the camper I am talking about:
Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa - Expedition Portal Forum
akshaymahajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 23:54   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hi David,

Check out this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...er-anyone.html (An indian camper anyone?)

Seems to be exactly what you want!

Maybe contacting the guys who built this will be a good starting point - you could probably do similar modifications to a Tata Xenon.

Far more practical than bringing your truck from the US.

EDIT: Cross posted some of the pics - check out the link for more!
Attached Images

Last edited by anekho : 17th December 2010 at 23:56.
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote