Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 21st November 2010, 14:51   #1
BHPian

Default Which one to buy Tata Safari LX or Mahindra Scorpio LX

Hello all, I am planning to purchase a new SUV. My options are Tata Safari LX or Mahindra Scorpio LX. I have test driven both of these but I am not able to make up my mind. The car will be driven mostly in the city and sometimes on highway. Among these two which will be easy to handle and drive and comfortable. Thanking You in advance for your advise.

Thanks
Old 21st November 2010, 15:05   #2
v&v
Senior - BHPian

@happyroadie - Both vehicle are equally promising. if you are going to ride more in city then Scorpio makes sense and highways safari rules. it has best middle row riding comfort. its lot more roomy.

Also if you are buying try to extend your budget a little more to pickup either vehicle with ABS. Also 4X4 is an addon for off-roading.

Last edited by v&v : 21st November 2010 at 15:08.
Old 21st November 2010, 15:57   #3
BHPian

If you wait for some time, you will have the new version of Safari (Merlin) coming out!

link to the thread

Not considering the TATA Aria, supposed to be very good!
Old 21st November 2010, 15:57   #4
BHPian

Default Slightly OT or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
@happyroadie - Both vehicle are equally promising. if you are going to ride more in city then Scorpio makes sense and highways safari rules. it has best middle row riding comfort. its lot more roomy.

Also if you are buying try to extend your budget a little more to pickup either vehicle with ABS. Also 4X4 is an addon for off-roading.

Hi

Your garage listing shows you as owning a Lx. If I am not mistaken that is a non ABS variant. Do you feel the need for ABS in your vehicle after experiencing driving on a regular basis under real world road conditions? Also one of the pictures in your garage shows you driving your truck in hilly terrain. Did you feel the need for 4X4 on hilly roads for better traction etc? Finally I am looking for a workshop to have the vehicles I am checking out examined. Can you share your experience WRT service outlets where you felt your vehicle was properly tended to?

Thanks
Old 21st November 2010, 17:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Hello all, I am planning to purchase a new SUV. My options are Tata Safari LX or Mahindra Scorpio LX. I have test driven both of these but I am not able to make up my mind. The car will be driven mostly in the city and sometimes on highway. Among these two which will be easy to handle and drive and comfortable.
Easier to maneuver, handle and drive = Scorpio
More spacious & comfortable = Safari

Driving in city = Scorpio
Driving on highway = Safari

Mileage = All things being equal, it's similar for both.

Ex-showroom price = Not a big difference between the 2.

Features wise, both are more or less the same. Some differentiators that I can think of off the top of my head are :

1. The Safari LX has body cladding and rear wash & wipe, while the Scorpio LX doesn't have these. [I think the rear wash and wipe is an important feature to have, specially in monsoons, or if you drive a lot in dusty areas].
2. The Safari LX has follow me home lamps, electrically adjustable ORVM's with indicators, while the Scorpio LX doesn't.
3. The Scorpio LX has rear AC vents (not roof mounted), which I think is absent in the Safari LX.
4. The Scorpio LX comes with an engine immobiliser, while the Safari LX does not.

You may find more differences between the 2 models on a closer inspection of the features list on their websites. After that, it's up to you to decide which features you absolutely must have, and which features you can live without.

I don't want to comment on which vehicle has more issues, or whose A.S.S is worse. There are a lot of people having trouble prone and trouble free vehicles from both camps. So, it's purely a lottery as to what kind of a vehicle you get and how your ownership turns out to be.

Happy decision making!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 21st November 2010 at 17:09.
Old 21st November 2010, 17:19   #6
BHPian

Thank you all for your replies.

@vasanthn21 I dont like the looks of the new safari to be honest. The picture posted here at TeamBHP of the new safari's front portion i.e the headlight portion does not appeal me. So I will stick with the current version only.

@v&v As you have a Tata Safari LX yourself, I want to know that whether the interior quality is good as compared to other Tata cars or its the same. I have read in many reviews that interior quality is not upto the mark. Is it so? Please let me know. And also are their common niggles which are usually with other Tata cars? I dont want to go through the same phase of problems as I went after purchasing Grande. So want to satisfy myself before purchasing another Tata.

Thanks
Old 21st November 2010, 21:56   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Since your are driving mostly in the City, I suggest the scorpio which is much easier to handle in the city. Which ever you decide to go with, I suggest to pick the version with ABS. People who say that they have never needed ABS have not understood what a huge difference this little piece of equipment can make when braking during a high speed maneuver.

The Safari has much better ergonomics and interior space than the Scorpio so so I suggest keeping that also in mind when you test drive both cars. The biggest concern with the Safari would be which side of the the bed the Quality Control inspector work up on the day your Safari rolled out of the plant.
Old 22nd November 2010, 10:48   #8
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
@v&v As you have a Tata Safari LX yourself, I want to know that whether the interior quality is good as compared to other Tata cars or its the same. I have read in many reviews that interior quality is not upto the mark. Is it so? Please let me know. And also are their common niggles which are usually with other Tata cars? I dont want to go through the same phase of problems as I went after purchasing Grande. So want to satisfy myself before purchasing another Tata.

Thanks
Interior quality is average, but you can makeup by customizing a little. As for niggles 2010 safaris are almost free of niggles. I didnt face any issues with my safari. Pretty happy with it.
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

If you are going to be driving in city and highways only, I think that Innova is a better proposition, especially as you seem to be inclined to a 4x2 and not 4x4 configuration. You get a more reliable vehicle and more comfort. With the number of Innovas plying the Manali-Leh route you will not be left in lurch in a hostile environment.

The only advantage of the SUV is its GC of 205 compared to 175, but then you would be doing City/Highway only.
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:08   #10
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: Lots of similar threads exist. Please use them for your research
Closed Thread