Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 17th April 2008, 17:34   #16

Being a proud owner of Tata Safari Petrol VXi 4x4 that I bought in June 2007, I do not accept anyone of your claim that its engine guzzling fuel like hell or to own a oil-well to maintain the Safari Petrol etc. etc. I'm sure those who passed such comments have neither touched nor drove a Petrol Safari in their life, it's all their guess no true in it. Tata has sold over one lakhs of Safari Petrol Vehocles in India and all those owners have not sold off their vehicles yet at cheap price. Tata is still producing & selling Safari Petrol Vehicles and people go on buying it fully aware of its fuel economy. Though petrol is costly and more money need to be spent for re-filling, that will compensate on its maintenance and spare parts, as it needs less maintenance and give feel smooth/quiet driving pleasure, whereas the diesel fuel is cheap compared to petrol, but its Engine needs continuous maintenance and needs frequent visit to service centre whatever saved on diesel re-filled, double of the amount will have to spent on its maintenance/repair. Diesel engine is bound to viberate driving pleasure is limited, since diesel engine is heavier than petrol engine, wear & tear of tyres is more on diesel vehicles. My Petrol Safari has covered around 10,000 kms so far, I spent not even a single paise for its maintenance, except on petrol refilling. I get around 12 kms average on highway driving and 8-9 kms in city driving, which is quite a good average in which I fully satisfied as I cannot expect more from a vehicle of having 2.5+ tonnage weight. Compared to Toyota Landcruiser, Nissan Pathfinder, Honda CRV, Merc., Scoda on its fuel efficiency, Tata Safari is giving very good average and its Petrol engine is really excellent by all means.
Muralidharan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2008, 21:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muralidharan View Post
Being a proud owner of Tata Safari Petrol VXi 4x4 that I bought in June 2007, I do not accept anyone of your claim that its engine guzzling fuel like hell or to own a oil-well to maintain the Safari Petrol etc. etc. I'm sure those who passed such comments have neither touched nor drove a Petrol Safari in their life, it's all their guess no true in it. Tata has sold over one lakhs of Safari Petrol Vehocles in India and all those owners have not sold off their vehicles yet at cheap price. Tata is still producing & selling Safari Petrol Vehicles and people go on buying it fully aware of its fuel economy. Though petrol is costly and more money need to be spent for re-filling, that will compensate on its maintenance and spare parts, as it needs less maintenance and give feel smooth/quiet driving pleasure, whereas the diesel fuel is cheap compared to petrol, but its Engine needs continuous maintenance and needs frequent visit to service centre whatever saved on diesel re-filled, double of the amount will have to spent on its maintenance/repair. Diesel engine is bound to viberate driving pleasure is limited, since diesel engine is heavier than petrol engine, wear & tear of tyres is more on diesel vehicles. My Petrol Safari has covered around 10,000 kms so far, I spent not even a single paise for its maintenance, except on petrol refilling. I get around 12 kms average on highway driving and 8-9 kms in city driving, which is quite a good average in which I fully satisfied as I cannot expect more from a vehicle of having 2.5+ tonnage weight. Compared to Toyota Landcruiser, Nissan Pathfinder, Honda CRV, Merc., Scoda on its fuel efficiency, Tata Safari is giving very good average and its Petrol engine is really excellent by all means.
Wow! thats real good F.E. I was told around 7 in city and 12 on highways. That kept me away from it.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 14:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muralidharan View Post
Its good to hear that your beast is givving you good service , but at the same time I would like to say that I bought a Safari Diesel 2.2 VTT and now it has almost run for 7.5K+ KMS and I am a proud owner for more that 6 months now.
The preformance is simply great. Its giving me a FE of about 11-12 in the city and 14-15 on the highway (though I even managed to get 18 on a particular highway run). Now I am not saying that a particular variant is better or worse but each has its pro and cons.
done some calculations and have a look at the pic which shows that the total saving comes to over 142000 which in my opinion is much more than the cost of the repairs and maintainence comes too , though which (the maintainence) again in the new dicors 3.0 & 2.2 is much less when compared to its older sibbling the TCIC.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice on tata safari petrol-calcs.jpg  

harjeev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 14:52   #19
BHPian

done some calculations and have a look at the pic which shows that the total saving comes to over 142000 which in my opinion is much more than the cost of the repairs and maintainence comes too , though which (the maintainence) again in the new dicors 3.0 & 2.2 is much less when compared to its older sibbling the TCIC.[/quote]

Hey Harjeev apart from this 1.41Lacs the diesel safari owners will get a very good resale compared to the petrol.So diesel owners are going to save a lot compared to the petrol owners.As harjeev mentioned the new 2.2 is a very nice engine and it is great to drive around in city and highway compared to the old engines.Petrol is a wrong choice at present for a safari.
stable rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 16:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Tata has sold over one lakhs of Safari Petrol Vehocles in India and all those owners have not sold off their vehicles yet at cheap price.
I am sorry, but that is a hugely overestimated figure. Consider that the Safari petrol has been in sale for what....5 years, you are talking about 20,000 Safari petrols a year, or 1700 a month. Impossible. The Safari petrol has been as much of a flop as its diesel sibling has been a success.

You will realise this when its time to sell her in the used car market.
GTO - Touring is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 16:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Consider that the Safari petrol has been in sale for what....5 years, you are talking about 20,000 Safari petrols a year, or 1700 a month. Impossible.
I think the Petrol safaris have been around a little longer than that - perhaps 10 years or so?
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 16:33   #22
BHPian

Thats still 10,000 cars a year which is way off the mark!
GTO - Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 16:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I think the Petrol safaris have been around a little longer than that - perhaps 10 years or so?
I have seen a total of 2 safari petrols till now and the second one of them was today, a 4X4.
On another note, most of the Safari's in the PM's fleet are 2.1 Petrols.. now you know where our tax is getting burned.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

I doubt that they've sold more than 10000 cars in the entire period they've been in production. Maybe half of that number or even a tenth of that number.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

I've always wondered why people buy petrol safaris?
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 17:36   #26

I'm sorry, I do not have the exact figure as to how many Petrol Safari vehices Tata Motors sold since they introduced Petrol Safari in Sept. 2003, however, volume of sale is irrelevant here. I would like to mention, Tata has discontinued production of their VXi Model (Full-Option) Petrol Safari only in last year June, and they are still producing EXi 4x2 & 4x4 Models Petrol Safari, means they have customers for Petrol Safari and people who can afford it still buy it is a fact to admit. Choosing a vehicle by anybody is purely of his individual choice.

In my case, I like only Petrol vehicles, from which I choosed Petrol Safari that too its High-End Model VXi 4x4 knowing fully all its plus & minus marks. I consider my Safari as my life companian, I will never ever wish to trade for anything, hence Resale Value is totally irrelevant to me. Also I don't care at all and worried on its Fuel Economy too. At the end, I wish to say, I'm fully satisfied with my Safari Petrol VXi 4x4 and I'm absolutely happy with its performance.

Cheerssss my friendssss
Muralidharan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 17:50   #27
BANNED

Muralidharan, we would love to hear your experience with the petrol Safari. Did you test drive the diesel version before buying the VXi? How would you rate the diesel versions?

ram2004 is another very happy petrol Safari owner who's taken his Safari all the way to Leh from Chennai.
dicorex4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 19:17   #28

YES ! We (myself & my 2 Sons aged 26 & 24) did the test drives twice in Palakkad and once my Sons had it in Trivandrum but the vehicle was earlier model Safari Dicor 3000 EX 4x2. To be very frank, we were not happy with its performance, mainly engine sound felt in the cabin and rattling sound from doors + quality of plastics and fabrics used and its lack of finishings. Though from the very beginning we have decided to buy Petrol Safari VXi 4x4 only, but the dealers said they usually do not give Petrol Safari for Test Drives b.cos of high cost of petrol. With their insistance only we agreed the Test Drives in Dicor. We never had any chance to Test Drive a Safari Petrol, we did it on our own Safari Petrol upon taking delivery of the vehicle from Koyenco Show-room at Cochin driven all the way from Cochin to Palakkad on NH-47 was really a thrilling experience, and we found our Safari Petrol VXi 4x4 QB an excellent vehicle, felt happy and we got full value of our money.
Muralidharan is offline   Reply With Quote