Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 11th May 2011, 11:15   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Right SUV for 20-25 lakhs budget

Please give the Toyota Fortuner a chance. It fits right into your budget. Excellent highway cruiser. Good 3.0L engine, good ground clearance, excellent road visibility, outdated but quality ergonomics.

It's my humble opinion that the BMW X1 does not seem very practical.

Last edited by Skye1592 : 11th May 2011 at 11:16.
Skye1592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 11:39   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Right SUV for 20-25 lakhs budget

The Fortuner is not the easiest to drive in the city. Nor is the X1 petrol a good option.

My suggestion would be to get the X1 diesel and ditch the secure package(IMO, its really not worth it ) also check for insurance rates outside, they are much cheaper. The regn and handling charges on your qoute are steep too, get your own RTO agent to do it. These small measures will help bridge the price gap between the petrol and diesel variant.

If you do not care about the BMW badge and do not wish to wait then I recommend just one other option - The Captiva automatic. Since your main use is in the city, I strongly recommend you get an automatic tranny.
The Captiva is going for a facelift soon, so you might be able to bargain a good price on the current model.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 20:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The right SUV for 16 - 17 lakhs

X1 is a five seater so is Yeti. On the whole if not for the badge I would never consider the X1. If you want petrol, then go for the Outlander. It is a fantastic SUV with all the luxuries you may want.

As you aim to keep the vehicle for 5+ years, a diesel SUV is a better proposition, as diesel engines consume less fuel and last at least twice as long. In spite of their badge value German cars are expensive to maintain, especially over long period, you are going to spend at least 5L more on the maintenance (which you are paying for up front), and I feel it is not worth it, especially in an SUV.

If you want the badge, then get the 320dCE, you get practically the same space and a much better package. BMW 4 cylinder petrols are poor performers compared to their diesels, the performance comes in their 6 and 8 cylinder models. Another thing to note is that a petrol engine consumes double the fuel in city traffic. See the brochure
Attached Files
File Type: pdf x1_catalogue.pdf (2.93 MB, 568 views)
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 05:53   #49
BHPian

Default Re: The right SUV for 20 - 21 lakhs

Having driven the Skoda Yeti for more than 9,000 km, on all sorts of roads, I can vouch that it's a SUV which will not let you down. It is sporty, frugal, feels very much at home on unpaved roads and is really easy to drive in the city.

As far as the price goes it sits at the bottom of the pile. While in performance, it equals, if not betters an X1. The rear seat leg-room is superior to X1.

The operating costs are surprisingly low - in fact lower than my Honda Jazz. To compare Jazz has clocked similar mileage and has seen four services and two oil changes, while the Yeti is 6,000 km from its 1st service.

With fuel prices threatening to skyrocket in next several months, the Yeti, with its frugal diesel motor makes even more sense.
SushilBajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 12:39   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
Having driven the Skoda Yeti for more than 9,000 km, on all sorts of roads, I can vouch that it's a SUV which will not let you down.
============
With fuel prices threatening to skyrocket in next several months, the Yeti, with its frugal diesel motor makes even more sense.
How is the after sales support from Skoda and ride quality
within city? I'm planning to test drive Yeti some time next week.
g_prajeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 07:13   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_prajeesh View Post
How is the after sales support from Skoda and ride quality
within city? I'm planning to test drive Yeti some time next week.
I have not really had any serious encounter with service and support. The only time I've interacted with them when I went to renew the emblem that had got stolen. They were nice and polite and got the job done. Even washed the car for free - for which otherwise they would have charged Rs 500.

Among the SUVs, Yeti appears to have pretty good ride quality. The ride quality is noticeably better than Innova, Scorpio and Fortuner. I am unable to decide between Outlander and Yeti.

Yeti takes to unpaved and rough roads in its stride. The ride quality on rough roads improves as the speed is increased.

For me the ride quality improved substantially when I adjusted the tyre pressure. Front 32-33 psi; rear 34-36 psi.

However, it is probably unfair to speak about ride without commenting on handling. This is where Yeti beats nearly everything that I have driven. Its handling is very good indeed. The steering is accurate, body-roll hardly noticeable. You never run out of power and in-gear acceleration is a joy. Overtaking is quick and safe. It can easily cruise at speeds of 140 kmph on good highways, although I've set the caution bell at 120 kmph.

In short any shortcomings on the ride front are more than compensated by the handling that Yeti offers.
Old 13th May 2011, 10:11   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
Among the SUVs, Yeti appears to have pretty good ride quality. The ride quality is noticeably better than Innova, Scorpio and Fortuner. I am unable to decide between Outlander and Yeti.
While i agree with the rest of your post i find this very hard to believe. The Innova has the best ride in the segment(and probably compared to one above too) and all reports i have read about the Yeti so far have indicated that it has a slightly stiff ride.
radiokidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 18:28   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
While i agree with the rest of your post i find this very hard to believe. The Innova has the best ride in the segment(and probably compared to one above too) and all reports i have read about the Yeti so far have indicated that it has a slightly stiff ride.
Sure, the ride for Yeti tends to be a bit stiff compared to many a cars. I use both Innova as well as Yeti. The Innova is driver driven and I only ride as a passenger. Whereas, the Yeti is mostly self driven. On the rough and unpaved roads I'd still rate Yeti ride quality better than Innova. However, I agree it is all a matter of perception.

While on occasions I have had the suspension make a loud thud - particularly if one went over enthusiastically over an even more enthusiastic speed bump (which Pune Municipal Corporation randomly places among the more sedate ones). But the shock is not really transmitted inside, neither does the car scrape the bottom. The Innova on the other hand manages to scrape its bottom on these, if one was not careful to slow it to a crawl.

I find Innova also appears to have a better air-conditioning - a fact I overlooked in the earlier post.
Old 13th May 2011, 22:05   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
While in performance, it equals, if not betters an X1.
sorry but your reviews are not technically supported

POWER - X1- 130kw , Yeti - 103kw
TORQUE -X1 - 350 Nm , Yeti - 320 Nm

X1 is the easiest & most economical way to move to a higher luxury segment , you simply can't compare X1 with Yeti - X1 is very competitively priced whereas Yeti is overpriced by at least 3-4 Lac , yes YATI will be far superior and better planted than Jazz . I don't know if you have driven X1 and then making comments for handling about Yeti or just referring to Jazz
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 00:27   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

X1 is the easiest & most economical way to move to a higher luxury segment , you simply can't compare X1 with Yeti - X1 is very competitively priced whereas Yeti is overpriced by at least 3-4 Lac , yes YATI will be far superior and better planted than Jazz . I don't know if you have driven X1 and then making comments for handling about Yeti or just referring to Jazz
I agree with you saying that the Yeti is not as quick as the X1. That is true.

The Yeti has more features than the X1 base model, besides the auto transmission and power seats. Its got 4 wheel drive, a 7" touch screen to name a few. Yet(i) it is priced about 6 lacs cheaper. The X1 top end comes to about 36l on road while the top end Yeti is about 19l on road. Sure the X1 top end has more features than the Yeti but is it the most economical way of upgrading to a higher segment? I don't even consider it a higher segment since its smaller than the Skoda from the inside.

No offence to X1 buyers. Gimme a 3 anyday.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 05:40   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
besides the auto transmission
Are you suggesting X1 is with Manual Transmission ?

we are not considering X1 - top end here , the regular Diesel one is indeed VFM for this segment & I don't find this smaller than Yeti from inside - but it wont be fair to compare Yeti with X1 , in which case all BMW's will be expensive - Laura with 3 series , Superb with 5 ...
Old 14th May 2011, 11:00   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you suggesting X1 is with Manual Transmission ?

we are not considering X1 - top end here , the regular Diesel one is indeed VFM for this segment & I don't find this smaller than Yeti from inside - but it wont be fair to compare Yeti with X1 , in which case all BMW's will be expensive - Laura with 3 series , Superb with 5 ...
Please read what I have said again. I've not said anywhere that the X1 is a manual.

IMO the X1 base offers nothing much over the Yeti. We are not comparing Skoda to BMW, only the Yeti to the X1. The 5 is a different level from the Superb.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 12:26   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The 130KW is for the diesel version. I thought we were discussing the petrol version, which is 110KW, with 100NM torque at 3,600 rpm.

The Diesel Yeti has a better engine compared to the petrol X1, as you have ample of torque at the lower end for city driving, as well as to cater to sticky situations on bad roads.

I still maintain that but for its badge value, the X1 petrol is beaten by the diesel Yeti both in features and in price. Yes the diesel X1 is a much better bargain (and it has more power and acceleration compared to its petrol sibling)
The prices on Carwale are
X1 18i - 22,68,400/
X1 20d - 24,70,747/
X1 20d(H) - 31,05,011
Yeti Ambiente - 15,50,568/
Yeti Elegance - 16,89,202/

So you can get the top of the line Yeti at 5.5L less than the lowest X1. The difference extends to nearly 8L for the diesel versions. I do not think that the Skoda Yeti will require more in maintenance than you are paying to BMW as BSI and secure (nearly 3L if I am not wrong)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW_X1_Specification_Sheet-1.pdf (1.73 MB, 203 views)
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 20:06   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Skoda Yeti will require more in maintenance than you are paying to BMW
With SKODA you never know what it can cost you .

I think we should have one common Post - Horror stories for Skoda , in support of fellow members - we should always remind any one even thinking of buying a SKODA

have a look

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tronics-3.html (Skoda Woes And The Ghost Of The Mechatronics!!)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...its-users.html (Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its users!)

or better google - SKODA India

skoda team bhp - Google Search
Old 20th May 2011, 17:49   #60
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Its become a Yeti vs X1 and Skoda vs BMW slug out.

Both are in their own ways very good VFM for what they offer in the segment that they stand in.

The X1 Diesel offers the Brand value that Yeti cannot offer and is ofcourse better planted on the road being a BMW (even if not a true blood as the 3 Series).

The Yeti offers a great set of features a practicality for much less than the X1 (yes even if it were to have an unreliable maintenance / life - even then).

Its all about what one wants and what one likes. Would suggest most buyers to drive and physically look at both and decide what tugs the heart more, they are actually quite diverse as well in many ways and there are actually other options that may be better overall as well as better VFM in price range if one keeps an open mind.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote