Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 8th October 2014, 22:09   #526
BHPian

Default Re: Which pre-worshipped weekend SUV as second car

nice thread; thanks for starting this.

I do wonder if my second car should be an SUV (used, as I am considering a much lower budget) rather than a small car. The T-jet serves well as the primary car.

My priorities would include 5+ seating with some luggage space, very ride and good handling that I get from the Linea (and earlier from the Palio).

I do not mean to hijack the thread; I hope to find enough replies catering to a lower budget too
gibikote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 22:11   #527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
I would have suggested a Pajero or a Yeti - but given that you are not willing to put up with shoddy A.S.S and you own a Hyundai - try and find a 2011 santa fe (it might end up stretching your budget slightly though.)
Side Note: I bought a pre-worshipped Skoda Yeti in March, have clocked nearly 20k km, service has been way better than I expected (touchwood) and no real trouble atleast so far (fingers crossed)
Yes Santa fe would be a good idea. Let me look up some listings on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Help me here. Please explain further what you mean by inability to manage typical highways with comfort. Most BHPians do NOT drive an SUV and manage just fine.

If you can pinpoint the specific itch you wish to scratch, you will get better advise and a solution to your issue, not just advise on buying an SUV that you may not really need.

Unless its a pure heart decision and you just want an SUV - in which case buy whichever one makes your heart skip a beat. or two.

/my swift did 33k in the first year on the same roads. Only now in its sixth year and almost 120k up, and with a kid, do we feel the need for more "space". But I am happy with the car otherwise. It has the peace of mind to take up overnight 500-600km drives without skipping a beat.
Something that can take on the sudden potholes and stretches of bad road with aplomb. i20 with the softer suspension wobbles and thuds all this while. Also it is not so stable at 120 kph + speed and gives a floating feeling.

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use the Multi-Quote feature to reply to multiple posts instead of submitting back to back posts. See this (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP) for more information.

Last edited by n_aditya : 9th October 2014 at 10:51. Reason: Posts merged
wordsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 22:30   #528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth View Post
Something that can take on the sudden potholes and stretches of bad road with aplomb. i20 with the softer suspension wobbles and thuds all this while. Also it is not so stable at 120 kph + speed and gives a floating feeling.
Maybe all you need is a 20-40k suspension upgrade? Have you spoken to the engineers on the forum?

as for cruising at 120+ on our narrow roads, not only is that a bad idea, do remember the SUVs will give better feel but have worse dynamics in an emergency maneuver.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 00:51   #529
BHPian

Buy a CRV!!

Will fit all your requirements plus provide you with comfort, luxury, and safety. Plus you can use the snob during special events

Advantages over
Innova - Luxury, Premiumness, Brand
Safari - Reliability
Scorpio - Refinement
Duster - After Sales comfort of a Honda

You already have a economic diesel hatch, a used CRV will easily fit in 8 lakhs.
2000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 06:50   #530
Senior - BHPian

TATA has service available everywhere around small towns etc , and is needed if you break suspension parts, bumper parts, lights etc on highways. Hence, TATA STORME or even TATA ARIA are practical in that sense. They lack brand value , but are VFM !
vinay kamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 09:12   #531
BHPian

Within the price bracket you have mentioned, I suggest you look forward with new Compact SUV's/MUV's rather than pre-worshipped ones. The ones that crop up in my mind are:

1. Renault Duster
2. Ford Ecosport
3. Honda Mobilio
4. Maruti Ertiga

For pre-worshipped SUV's you can look out for:

1. Mahindra Scorpio
2. Toyota Innova
3. Honda CRV

If after sales service is your priority, buy cars from known makes like Maruti and Honda which are reliable.
CountMe91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 09:55   #532
BHPian

Quote:

I am looking at buying a pre worshipped SUV for the various weekend and vacation trips with friends and family. Some points

- I am tall and hence, looking for only a SUV / cross over
- After sales should be non problematic
- Not brand conscious
- Wont take the car for off-roading
- Budget between 7 lakhs to 12 lakhs
- Not necessarily need a 7 seater. 5 seater would just be fine
- No parking constraints
- Ride comfort is of utmost importance
- I am a sucker for well refined cars, hence, no gurkhas or thars

Looking forward to help from the fellow member experts
A new XUV500 W4 variant should just fit into your budget. Has safety features and the new upgraded version seems to have resolved major niggles.
It has decent dynamics, good GC, decent FE. And buying a new car will involve lesser maintenance costs and more resale value when you get bored of it.
ank.nsit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2014, 20:01   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
And buying a new car will involve lesser maintenance costs and more resale value when you get bored of it.
Lesser maintenance cost, maybe yes but more resale value, definitely not. It is a universal fact that you end up losing more (% wise) when selling a new car vs. a pre-owned car.
cool_dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 05:48   #534
BHPian

Quote:
I saw the duster 4X4 recently and liked the subtle changes made to the interiors though the car is not yet available for a test drive. I am though, still not a fan of the interior quality and rear bench space. Thanks in advance
Don't think of any other than Duster 4x4. For the budget you have set, it will suit you fine and keep you happy wherever you take it. Just buy it, you wont be disappointed.
Count510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 09:11   #535
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

To me, a new Safari Storme fits your most important requirements to a "T".
Ride quality: - Amazing.
Space: - Simply put, it is 5 seater sofa on wheels.
Upkeep: - Take an AMC and you should be done.

Take a test drive, it is free, and then decide.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 18:02   #536
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Sant

The new Storme fits your requirements, but if you don't mind pre-owned, nothing will beat a Grand Vitara 2.4l in good nick
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 00:27   #537
BHPian

Judge for yourself, go through this:
http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...-review/20046/
Count510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 11:45   #538

You should TD the Santa Fe once to understand that it's a wolf in a sheep'a clothes. And with the Fluidic Santa Fe launched this year, you can get some sweet offers on previously owned Santa Fe's. I purchased a new Hyundai Santa Fe in October 2013 and am loving every single second with it. It's got an amazing ride quality. The interiors are really plush. And the stock ICE setup comes with a 6 cd changer and an amplifier. I love listening to my favourite music on a higher note and that's the reason I went in for an ICE upgrade. But I retained the HU and combined it with Focal Amps & Rockford Fosgate Subs. The car has oodles of space and can take on pretty rough terrain even without deploying the differential lock switch.
JeonaJatt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 20:51   #539
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Santa-Fe

Thought this might be the most appropriate thread to share this video about the new Pajero Sport, that I saw on FB today:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

There are more videos about the new Pajero Sport on the same FB page too.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 8th March 2015 at 20:52.
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 10:21   #540
BHPian

Default Re: Which 7 Seater SUV for 17-25L? Endeavour vs Fortuner vs Captiva vs Pajero vs Santa-Fe

My friend has an Innova and wants to upgrade to a SUV. He has done lots of research and has shortlisted Koleos and Pajero Sport. He is inclining towards Pajero Sport but unable to decide between the two. It will be of a great help if anyone can tell what would be the main advantage of selecting Pajero over Koleos. Also is there any main advantage which Koleos has over Pajero? The main reason for his upgrade is that the Innova lacks power.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 10th March 2015 at 10:25.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote