Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

View Poll Results: Where are we on Sunday, 15TH
Oi Punjab, NH3 41 66.13%
Preetam Dhaba, NH8 22 35.48%
Karnala 9 14.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th January 2012, 14:32   #151
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Mumbai Meet 15th January 2012 - Drive Igatpuri 7AM - Lunch Oye Punjabi - 12Noon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
In anyone from pune planning to come?
A wonderful gentleman called Nanduchitnis and his better half.
Trust me, they are fun to have and very knowledgeable people.

The last lavasa drive, my mother still recollects the time she spent with Mrs. Chitnis, Mrs. f1fan and Mrs. PJBiju.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 14:35   #152
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Mumbai Meet 15th January 2012 - Drive Igatpuri 7AM - Lunch Oye Punjabi - 12Noon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Next day is Sunday boss, dont want to end up with Monday blues.
You mean the next day is Monday, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
... If we want to have a group lunch that needs to be intimidated in prior for arrangements to me made.
Maybe we could arrange something without any intimidation? j/k
This sounds great too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
I wont mind any place but amby valley for 2 reasons mentioned below.

1. I will be riding and will have to ride alone (considering there are no other bikers joining) on the national highway until we reach Lonavla.
If it were the Amby valley, I wouldn't mind driving along on the old highway, just to keep you company. It's not often I get to drive this road now.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 14:36   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Doctorque i do the silvassa route twice a week and have been fortunate to get stuck in traffic only once. One a sunday and that too early you'll have a smooth sailing road.

See the route of Manas KSM has suggested and the timing is because of the bikers that head there for the rides.

I was in lonavala yesterday for lunch and i reached there driving the fortuner in 2hrs flat. I had lunch at Kinara village dhaba which is on the old highway and it had very good food. We left at 430pm after picking up a friend from the old khandala road and were in Bombay by 7pm.
Plus one on that.

Irrespective of the location, the key is to make it early morning to enjoy the empty tarmac. I cannot count the number of times i have been to Amby valley for a ride starting at 5.30 - 6 am and be home by 11 - 12 including breakfast at RK, chilling time at Amby.

The only option now is to wait for the voting result and discuss thereafter.

(P.S. Gosh, a tie is the last confusion we want)
doctorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 14:37   #154
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Bingo ! Thanks a lot for saying that. I really owe you one man
You are welcome. I've voted against all the choices! Place or distance is never an issue for me as long as there's good drive, food and company. The only thing I keep in mind is the planning that goes behind because I travel with my baby. If the weather gets too cold that morning, then I will not be able to leave early or before 8 am or so. My daughter has to enjoy the trip!

Quote:
In anyone from pune planning to come?
A wonderful gentleman called Nanduchitnis and his better half.
Trust me, they are fun to have and very knowledgeable people.

The last lavasa drive, my mother still recollects the time she spent with Mrs. Chitnis, Mrs. f1fan and Mrs. PJBiju.

As someone here stated, let's close the poll by wednesday or even thursday end of day. Also hoping to hear from hvkumar on his suggestions.
That would help us plan things out and have a great smashing time!
Old 9th January 2012, 14:37   #155
BHPian

Gentlemen, As someone mentioned earlier, let watch out for the poll till Thursday latest. We have Friday and Saturday to decide the route/car pool/eating joints. IMO, the conversation is becoming very disjointed.
womanonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 15:10   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post
IMO, the conversation is becoming very disjointed.
IMO the debate is throwing up some interesting points such as the various places (at least to eat) within a day's drive from Mumbai on the Ahmedabad, Nasik and Pune route, for one!
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 15:13   #157
Senior - BHPian

Update from the "German Trio" group.
We have decided to roll on towards NH-8 Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway. We have done Amby twice in the last couple of months and dont intend on doing it again. NH 8 is the unanimous choice amongst us and so that is where we are heading on sunday morning.
If NH 8 emerges the winner on this poll and all of you are joining us, nothing better. Should be a fantastic drive but for the ~7 km around the mira-bhayander stretch.
If you are all heading elsewhere, enjoy the drive and hoping we can all drive together sometime soon.

The group includes -
fre2bpowerless
xehaust,
speedy,
contagoback,
akshay1234,
flyingspur,
lamborghini
& myself.

Dippy will be accompanying us & adishenoy/cartman are likely to sail with us or maybe even join you guys depending on where you are headed.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 9th January 2012 at 15:18.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 15:33   #158
Senior - BHPian

Guys, only 6 days left. Please finalize the route atleast. As of now, there is a tie between Amby valley & Mumbai - Gujrat Highway.

Lets fix a route so that we can discuss the next step, that is, drive, timing, eatery, etc.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 15:35   #159
Senior - BHPian

Our smaller group also heads out for drives every week for a few years now, sometimes with or without the super bikers.

To be honest NH8 is should be the last option (specially for cars like yours) among the ones available because the road quality is bad, traffic is very high unless you plan to get back before 11(even then the return trip is going to be bad) and the facilities are nothing to talk about. I would have done Amby again (even after 20+ runs we did in 2011).

But anyways hope the conditions have changed since the last few weeks and you guys have good fun.

Quote:
We have decided to roll on towards NH-8 Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway. We have done Amby twice in the last couple of months and dont intend on doing it again. NH 8 is the unanimous choice amongst us and so that is where we are heading on sunday morning.
If NH 8 emerges the winner on this poll and all of you are joining us, nothing better. Should be a fantastic drive but for the ~7 km around the mira-bhayander stretch.
If you are all heading elsewhere, enjoy the drive and hoping we can all drive together sometime soon.

The group includes -
fre2bpowerless
xehaust,
speedy,
contagoback,
akshay1234,
flyingspur,
lamborghini
& myself.

Dippy will be accompanying us & adishenoy/cartman are likely to sail with us or maybe even join you guys depending on where you are headed.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 16:06   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our smaller group also heads out for drives every week for a few years now, sometimes with or without the super bikers.

To be honest NH8 is should be the last option (specially for cars like yours) among the ones available because the road quality is bad, traffic is very high unless you plan to get back before 11(even then the return trip is going to be bad) and the facilities are nothing to talk about. I would have done Amby again (even after 20+ runs we did in 2011).

But anyways hope the conditions have changed since the last few weeks and you guys have good fun.

Speedy goes there twice every week. His ML does Silvasa and back trips more frequently than all of us put together. The speeds he does in his 2 ton SUV are reason enough to believe that the road quality is fantastic.
We have asked more than 1 person and verified that but for that area around Mira-Bhayander where not only is there traffic but also some construction work going on , the entire stretch is killer fast and well laid out. It gets only better in GJ but we arnt going that far.
Exactly contrary to what you say about facilities , Speedy himself has suggested multiple places to halt, eat etc.
Lastly, you actually think you will NOT encounter traffic on the e-way ? Not more than 20 days ago we were on our dash to amby and were stuck in a ~3km jam before the Khopoli naka. We are going on a weekend so traffic jams are an inevitable part of every entry/exit into Mumbai. Talking about evening return trip, imagine what will be encountered on the e-way after the khopoli naka right till kalanagar in bandra on the return leg.
Each route has its own share of problems pal. We just figured why not try out something new ? Apart from Speedy, none of us have really ventured northwards of Mumbai in the recent past.
The logic is very simple - Drive on the route (heard a lot about it) -faced issues ?? Dont repeat it

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 9th January 2012 at 16:13.
Old 9th January 2012, 16:28   #161
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have decided to roll on towards NH-8 Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway. NH 8 is the unanimous choice amongst us and so that is where we are heading on sunday morning.
Well, let's not fragment this group by finalizing a route before the poll is closed by Thursday. That would be my request. Once that's done, then who can join you guys on NH8 will do. Who can't will probably join another time as you stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Guys, only 6 days left. Please finalize the route atleast. As of now, there is a tie between Amby valley & Mumbai - Gujrat Highway.

Lets fix a route so that we can discuss the next step, that is, drive, timing, eatery, etc.
Yes. There's a tie. Let's just keep the options open till there's a clear winner. I see with the tie between Amby valley and NH8 on a thread which initially started on Karnala, there's still scope for many to change their minds. Once the poll is closed, one can quickly plan on the timings, eateries, meeting points etc.

Quote:

Not sure about current conditions, but I didn't have a good time when I drove back from Udaipur and was stuck in all kinds of terrible traffic jams. But that could be one off scenario. It would be interesting to note what route planners like HVK would say.

Quote:
Speedy goes there twice every week. His ML does Silvasa and back trips more frequently than all of us put together. The speeds he does in his 2 ton SUV are reason enough to believe that the road quality is fantastic.

The logic is very simple - Drive on the route (heard a lot about it) -faced issues ?? Dont repeat it
Everyone has different expectations here PlatzdaTurbo. hence there's the poll. Very few people have cast their votes on all the options (one is me) for whom any route, any traffic doesn't matter. The road is smooth indeed, but I encountered major truck traffic sadly. Hope mine is an one off case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanonwheels View Post
Gentlemen, As someone mentioned earlier, let watch out for the poll till Thursday latest. We have Friday and Saturday to decide the route/car pool/eating joints. IMO, the conversation is becoming very disjointed.
Yes. Let's stick on to the poll. Then take a call. If need be, let's all meet up at one common point in the city before heading out in which ever direction each wants too. That can be an option too!
Old 9th January 2012, 16:41   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Well, let's not fragment this group by finalizing a route before the poll is closed by Thursday. That would be my request. Once that's done, then who can join you guys on NH8 will do. Who can't will probably join another time as you stated.
Not at all my intention. What i posted was strictly on behalf of all of us who drive the Germans together. The other 3 have themselves told me to post that they would most likely be joining us.
The post was in no way aimed at influencing any decisions here.
We will just head our way, you guys are most welcome to either join us or ofcourse choose another route.
Old 9th January 2012, 16:49   #163
Senior - BHPian

Well i am sure his ML or the fortuner can take absorb those rough patches better than our cars.

I agree its a fast road but then how far do you plan to go? There are hardly any sharp corners on this route btw.

Yeah Mira-BH is bad and vasai is worst, only good luck and an early early start can help.

I agree that there will be a lot of traffic on the eway and on the amby side and hence have suggested Igarpuri as my first choice. (fresh tarmac, enough fast corners, long straights, ghats, superbikes, etc)

Again i have no issues in joining if everyone wants to head to NH8

Quote:
We have asked more than 1 person and verified that but for that area around Mira-Bhayander where not only is there traffic but also some construction work going on , the entire stretch is killer fast and well laid out. It gets only better in GJ but we arnt going that far.
Exactly contrary to what you say about facilities , Speedy himself has suggested multiple places to halt, eat etc.
Lastly, you actually think you will NOT encounter traffic on the e-way ? Not more than 20 days ago we were on our dash to amby and were stuck in a ~3km jam before the Khopoli naka. We are going on a weekend so traffic jams are an inevitable part of every entry/exit into Mumbai. Talking about evening return trip, imagine what will be encountered on the e-way after the khopoli naka right till kalanagar in bandra on the return leg.
Each route has its own share of problems pal. We just figured why not try out something new ? Apart from Speedy, none of us have really ventured northwards of Mumbai in the recent past.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 9th January 2012 at 16:51.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 16:59   #164
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Roads till Fountain Hotel aint that good, traffic and potholes being the common ingredients. Beyond Fountain till Mahalaxmi Temple/Dahanu are good but with ups, downs, joints etc demanding braking on regular basis. I don't quite enjoy that patch in my Swift but should be a different story in yours Beyond Mahalaxmi Temple, its a dream!

On the return journey, I was stuck just before Dahisar. Took 60 mins for 975 mts! Yes I was doing 0kmph!

Last edited by F50 : 9th January 2012 at 17:01.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 17:32   #165
Senior - BHPian

This Mumbai meet has seen so many ups and down just after the poll was up. First it was just Karnala but now it does look like compass pointing nowhere(vortex).

Quote:
We also should be looking at eateries towards the Ahmedabad highway now as it is leading the votes. The road is ok and traffic can be worrying if we do not leave on time on this route.
The only problem going towards Ahmedabad highway is the amount of work going on and the heavy traffic that follows it.

Quote:
2. The traffic situation in Lonavla on a Sunday morning is not a nice place to be in at all.
Yesterday only I went to Lonavla, there was no traffic at all. At evening at 2 pm while taking right from Kumars Resort there it took us just 3 min to clear and no traffic till Tiger Point and during return it took us just 10 min to clear the same and onto the E-Way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
Looking at the Roads/twisties on Mumbai-Igatpuri, they sure are inviting. Considering the drive part I was about to suggest Malshej but then only eatry is MTDC with not so good food.
Igatpuri is only stretch that hasn't been explored by me. Malshej Ghat was done in Sep'11 and the only eatry being MTDC. The roads are good after you cross Kalyan section till then its a neck breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Maybe we could arrange something without any intimidation? j/k
Only if everyone finalizes on Club Mahindra than a intimidation in prior is needed because is not officially open and members are only allowed. The official opening will be in 1 week of Feb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
You are welcome. I've voted against all the choices! Place or distance is never an issue for me as long as there's good drive, food and company.

As someone here stated, let's close the poll by wednesday or even thursday end of day. Also hoping to hear from hvkumar on his suggestions.
That would help us plan things out and have a great smashing time!
+1, if there is good company and food and nice tarmac than the distance doesn't matters.
It will be nice if the poll is closed on Thursday and further planning is done in the two following days.

Quote:
Those who all are skipping the meet need to have their votes removed, it gives a biased review than.
If the German Group wont be joining than I shall miss by 500NM ride.

Quote:
+1. The only problem with NH8 is the heavy traffic and the road conditions. With the work going on by NHAI makes it even worse.

Quote:
But a SUV is much better at handling those bumps. What about the stiff suspension E90 and low profile tyres the German Trio has?
Prevention is better than cure.

Quote:
I agree that there will be a lot of traffic on the eway and on the amby side and hence have suggested Igarpuri as my first choice. (fresh tarmac, enough fast corners, long straights, ghats, superbikes, etc)

Again i have no issues in joining if everyone wants to head to NH8
Well there was no traffic yesterday at the E-Way or at Lonavala. There was some at Panvel-Khargar section but once on Palm Beach at CBD, no more traffic.

Igatpuri seems to looks good now that Ambey Valley which was done yesterday by me. Fresh tarmac, enough fast corners, long straights, ghats, super bikes, etc looks tempting.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote