Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

View Poll Results: When can you make it for this meet + one night's stay?
Feb 11th & 12th (2012) 15 36.59%
Feb 18th & 19th (2012) 34 82.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 8th February 2012, 14:55   #271
BHPian

Default Re: Team BHP Bangalore Mega Meet Feb 18/19th 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@KA18, how is this road from Belur to Aldur, via Gendehalli ? The regular route (marked in green) is to go via Chikmagalur, which is quite good.
I spoke with my friend who regularly commutes on this road (Belur to Aldur, via Gendehalli), he said that there are a lot of interconnecting roads which can make you lose your way. Mobile phone carrier signals are not present all the way along and the roads are deserted. Roads are in good condition except for a one kilometer stretch near a village called Maroor. He had a saw mill in the area and his trucks used to come via Chikmagalur to go to Bangalore.
You can save around 5-7 Kms if you take this route.
His suggestion: Avoid this road and take the Belur-Chikmagalur-Aldur route.

From Bangalore, roads are excellent upto Belur. From Belur, most of the repair work has been done and the roads are quite ok now. There is one stretch of around 500mts near Hiremagalur, just before entering Chikmagalur limits which is bumpy due to the reason that they are constructing a Railway bridge.

I will PM you my number so you can contact me for more clarifications.
Old 8th February 2012, 15:03   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
.. there are a lot of interconnecting roads which can make you lose your way.

You can save around 5-7 Kms if you take this route.
His suggestion: Avoid this road and take the Belur-Chikmagalur-Aldur route.
Thanks, @KA18. I am familiar with the stretch near Hiremagalur. That is a very short stretch, so it will not be a problem.
Old 8th February 2012, 15:52   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
What is the name of the resort/Home stay you guys have booked ? Or it is confidential ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
No sir its not confidential, look 2/3 page back you will see the name.Its Eagle Eye Resort.
Asdon, maybe you can update the headline with the place and the resort name for the benefit of those who missed it

Last edited by floyd.bell : 8th February 2012 at 15:55.
Old 8th February 2012, 16:44   #274
BHPian

Default Trip Itinerary

• We start from Neelamangla at 6:30am
  • Breakfast at Mayura or which ever place comes arround 7:45am, we must cover about 75 to 80 km by then
  • We start max by 8:30am
  • Reach Hassan by 9:45am, small break for 15 mins
  • At 10:40am We would be in Belur, and headed towards Aldur via Chikmagalur as KA18 has suggested the short route may not be as good as it looks like
  • We reach Aldur by 11:30am
  • One photography break may be for 15 mins
  • Reach resort by 12:30 pm
  • lunch in between 1 to 1:30pm
  • 3pm target Mullayan Giri, 55 km from resort, through Bhadra Wildlife forest, should reach there by 4:30pm
  • Cover sun set, come back Tea/Coffee/snacks time
  • Camp Fire and other activities at resort
  • After Dinner if interested have a small night drive through forest road(these roads are not under Project Tiger, so not restricted till certain limits)
  • Wake-up, have breakfast, leave the resort, head towards Kemmangundi peak, 110km from resort.
  • Be there by 10 am(keep snacks with us, so that hunger can't strike)
  • In suitable time, leave and head to Birur(NH 206) and come back via Tiptur/Tumkur
This is only a plan not finalization of the trip, this can be amended by anyone and everyone, by a different plan. Just to give a couting to the trip I thought of posting this.(But timings need to be followed while going to the resort, else the whole trip will get delayed).
Old 8th February 2012, 17:36   #275
BHPian

Default Re: Trip Itinerary

[quote=asdon;2674352]
  • 3pm target Mullayan Giri, 55 km from resort, through Bhadra Wildlife forest, should reach there by 4:30pm
[quote]
I am not sure if we can cover this 55KM in 1.3 hrs. The believe that the road is not that Good to drive fast :(
Old 8th February 2012, 17:47   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Quote:
I am not sure if we can cover this 55KM in 1.3 hrs. The believe that the road is not that Good to drive fast :(
no hurry, if not in1.5 hr, then 2 hr. Time is all ours
Old 8th February 2012, 17:48   #277
BHPian

Quote:
This is only a plan not finalization of the trip, this can be amended by anyone and everyone, by a different plan. Just to give a couting to the trip I thought of posting this.(But timings need to be followed while going to the resort, else the whole trip will get delayed).
If roads are good throughout, this can be achievable otherwise might become an hectic trip overall for one-day affair. This itinerary looks more suitable for 2-day trip.
I was thinking something along the lines of chill/relax in the resort itself and drive around in the forest on the day we reach. Next day, while returning cover Belur/Halebeedu and if time permits, ShravanaBelagola...
Old 8th February 2012, 17:51   #278
BHPian

@Floyd.bell - Put your inputs, nothing is final, and the trip should not be hectic too. Thats why I posted, it was just a plan, considering the sorroundings. After reaching resort, whatever looks comfortable will follow, don't worry.
Edit: Till Aldur, roads are very good, other than few 3/4 km, and the road to resort is narrow but well built.

Last edited by asdon : 8th February 2012 at 17:53.
Old 8th February 2012, 18:49   #279
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am missing out this as i am travelleing on work during weekend

Breakfast at Kamat near Channarayapatna is a better bet than Mayura.

You can have a "Dosa Break" in Preethi Canteen in Birur. Excellent Masala Dosas

All the best guys. Enjoy Maadi!!!
Old 8th February 2012, 19:20   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  • Reach Hassan by 9:45am, small break for 15 mins

• We reach Aldur by 11:30am
  • One photography break may be for 15 mins

Break in Hassan not a very good idea. Parking problems for all of us. Better go further towards Belur.

Aldur - not very scenic. It's more important as the point where we turn towards resort / Sringeri etc. There are more scenic spots further up the road from there, including one lone TEA estate in the middle of all the coffee; and a coffee joint where we have sufficient parking too.
Old 8th February 2012, 20:57   #281
Senior - BHPian

Having done Mullayanagiri twice before, I have a few words here - reaching Mullayanagiri in 1.5 hours is not the problem. The problem is the climb up the hill. The road gets pretty narrow and with 2 way traffic it gets jammed in places, especially towards evening on weekends. The soil will crumble away towards the edge of the hill. This, coupled with dense evening fog needs extreme caution when driving and to add to it, there are buses/cars from the opposite direction as well.
The drive up and then coming back will itself easily take 3 hours and Mullayanagiri is in the opposite direction to the resort location (which adds 100km more to the distance). It is on the Bababudanagiri range to the north-east of chikmagalur, while the resort seems to be near Balehonnur which is to the west of C'lur. That is 2 hours for to-and-fro commute to mullayanagiri from the resort and 3 hours for the actual climb.

Here are a few pictures from a previous trip I did in my old Accent. This is how the drive will be on mullayanagiri. This was taken halfway up with the clouds intercepting. Note the decreasing visibility as the altitude increases.

Team BHP Bangalore Mega Meet Feb 18/19th 2012-img_1395.jpg

Team BHP Bangalore Mega Meet Feb 18/19th 2012-img_1396.jpg

Team BHP Bangalore Mega Meet Feb 18/19th 2012-img_1398.jpg

I'm not really up to the idea of doing a convoy drive up here, it will lead to massive delays and is best avoided this time.

Also, Kemmanugundi is mainly jeep territory and is not a motorable hill for our normal vehicles. The road is treacherous and out of bounds for cars. Jeeps can be hired to take us up there but this is again time consuming.

I agree with floyd bell completely. This looks good for a 2N/3D itinerary. A 1N/2D itinerary will be too rushed. We can just do what the resort offers us this time. I'm sure the families will also enjoy the plantation treks and other activities they have on offer. The jungle drive sounds amazing and should be easy to achieve, but I would keep away from Mullayanagiri and Kemmanugundi. They are not 2-3 hour affairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Break in Hassan not a very good idea. Parking problems for all of us. Better go further towards Belur.
Better to stop at Kamat near Hassan or some such highway restraurant. Since families will be accompanying, it would do good for a break for them to stretch their legs a bit, freshen up at the eatery and perhaps have a cup of coffee before resuming

Last edited by KarthikK : 8th February 2012 at 21:24.
Old 8th February 2012, 21:22   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I agree with floyd bell completely. This looks good for a 2N/3D itinerary. A 1N/2D itinerary will be too rushed. We can just do what the resort offers us this time. I'm sure the families will also enjoy the plantation treks and other activities they have on offer. The jungle drive sounds amazing and should be easy to achieve, but I would keep away from Mullayanagiri and Kemmanugundi. They are not 2-3 hour affairs.
Thanks for the details Karthik. I too agree. Sandwiched between hectic work weeks, it would be better to have a relaxing stay at the resort + some of the facilities they have mentioned like trekking, fishing, bird watching, etc.
Old 8th February 2012, 21:26   #283
BHPian

Schedule looks very hectic, if we plan these much, it would become sight seeing trip not t-bhp meet. My advise is Reach resort, Relax there and get to know each other 1st day and just roam around nearby place, Trek around, camp fire.... Next day we can decide Mullayanagiri or Kemmanugundi and back, not both.

And Mullayanagiri road is not at all for any learners and not much experienced drivers, i advise only experienced drivers drive this Ghat.

Kamat at chanrayapatna might be late for breakfast, since we start home at almost 5 am. And food at Kamat is not good at all compared to Mayura.
Old 8th February 2012, 21:32   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Schedule looks very hectic, if we plan these much, it would become sight seeing trip not t-bhp meet.

And food at Kamat is not good at all compared to Mayura.
@Avijit, how about we avoid the crowded spots on saturday evening ?

And Kamat Upachar is over-rated. Most of them, except the ones on NH4 before Tumkur /Sira to some extent. Rather than the Kamat @ CR Pattana, we could try the masala dosa joint - if we want an option other than Mayura.
Old 8th February 2012, 21:33   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post

And Mullayanagiri road is not at all for any learners and not much experienced drivers, i advise only experienced drivers drive this Ghat.
+1. This hill is not for the weak hearted or for beginners. Even a small mistake or overconfidence can lead to problems. Lesser said, the better.

Quote:
Kamat at chanrayapatna might be late for breakfast, since we start home at almost 5 am. And food at Kamat is not good at all compared to Mayura.
I agree. My suggestion is breakfast at Mayura / CR patna masala dosa by 7.30-8, second stop at Kamat or any highway restaurant by around 10.30-11, just to enable family members to have a wash and stretch their legs a bit.

Last edited by KarthikK : 8th February 2012 at 21:49.
Closed Thread