Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 12th December 2012, 08:54   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Looking for Ladakh long drive-mates in August 2013

Yes, that raises an important question: How many of the articles being carried on these tours were actually put to use? Are we preparing ourselves against each and every possible problem by overstuffing our vehicles? Can we mitigate these risks by taking precautions?

For e.g. carrying a portable stove and pots: While this protects us against being possibly stranded out in the wild, by careful planning we could spend only a few hours a day in travelling in broad daylight, in a convoy and not stretch ourselves. If we can then do these hops I don't think we would need to carry cooking equipment.

Just a thought. Since I have never travelled on such a terrain the thought may be immature.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 09:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

I just bumped into this thread. Am from Delhi. Could you please clarify (my apologies if this has been covered in a previous post) if there are any women in the group? Also, what is the link to the FB page?
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 11:21   #63
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Looking for Ladakh long drive-mates in August 2013

I had my reservations on taking my Santro to Leh-Ladakh till I read honeybee is contemplating on driving his Nano. If a Nano owner is showing some STEEL, I can't really keep myself out of the list. Put me in the tentative list.

I still wonder if Santro/Nano can do the famous and risky PASSes up there. Hope I don't have to park my car in plains and hitch a ride with others. That would be a spoiler. If I move from tentative to confirmed status, I will have a friend along with me. My boot is occupied with the LPG tank, so the rear seat and footwell will be used for luggage.

Can someone please post the facebook link? Also, is the facebook page public (read non-BHPians) or just for the BHPians?
Farukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 14:16   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post

Thanks for the route update, will be good to take this route. May I know the list of things you were carrying that the boot and rear seats were full?

@HVK Sir: If you are reading this thread, how is the following route to get in time for the Wagah border celebrations in the evening.

Behror - Rohtak - Jind - Sangrur - Moga - Wagah
We were carrying a lot of stuff, and I will list whatever I can remember. There are a few checklists that you need to go through before the trip to ensure that you do not miss any essentials. Again, needless to say, most of these checklists are prepared by HVK and they come from his experience.

1. Food, dry fruits, snacks, cup noodles, fruits
2. 20L water jar (Bisleri)
3. Tow rope with D-shackles, tools
4. A few spare tubes
5. Blankets, spread out on the seats so that they dont eat volume
6. Camera backpack, Laptop bags (2), +2 backpacks, tripod
7. Clothes for more than two weeks
8. Box of medicines, first aid
9. Empty can for fuel, 20l+15l

I feel we should move this particular discussion offline, otherwise this thread would start going offtopic.

About your query of going to Wagah, you can also plan and go to Fazilka in Punjab, where a similar ceremony takes place every evening, minus the crowd of Wagah.

Farukh, the Santro is one of the most famous vehicles in Ladakh. Assuming that your car is well maintained, you will not have any problems crossing the high passes. Infact, you will be better off than the sedans, thanks to the lower weight, short wheelbase and shorter overhangs.

Regards,
Aalok

Last edited by aalokg : 12th December 2012 at 14:23.
aalokg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 15:06   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Yes, that raises an important question: How many of the articles being carried on these tours were actually put to use? Are we preparing ourselves against each and every possible problem by overstuffing our vehicles? Can we mitigate these risks by taking precautions?
Well when preparing its always good to prepare yourself for the worst possible scenario, hence, the list is long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
I just bumped into this thread. Am from Delhi. Could you please clarify (my apologies if this has been covered in a previous post) if there are any women in the group? Also, what is the link to the FB page?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
I had my reservations on taking my Santro to Leh-Ladakh till I read honeybee is contemplating on driving his Nano. If a Nano owner is showing some STEEL, I can't really keep myself out of the list. Put me in the tentative list.

I still wonder if Santro/Nano can do the famous and risky PASSes up there. Hope I don't have to park my car in plains and hitch a ride with others. That would be a spoiler. If I move from tentative to confirmed status, I will have a friend along with me. My boot is occupied with the LPG tank, so the rear seat and footwell will be used for luggage.

Can someone please post the facebook link? Also, is the facebook page public (read non-BHPians) or just for the BHPians?
Definately your Santro can do the trip owing its stiffer springs, shorter wheelbase, and less overhangs.

Here is the link to the current group in FB to discuss this trip:

Destination Leh 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalokg View Post

About your query of going to Wagah, you can also plan and go to Fazilka in Punjab, where a similar ceremony takes place every evening, minus the crowd of Wagah.
Did you also visit Fazilka on the way. I would love to read or see pictures of your trip since you mentioned tripods etc
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 15:31   #66
BHPian

Quote:

Did you also visit Fazilka on the way. I would love to read or see pictures of your trip since you mentioned tripods etc
I did plan to visit Fazilka, and we were right on time, but then something weird happened in the afternoon in RJ. Tonnes of huge black ants started to emerge from under the seats and carpet, but they were not attracted towards the food, nor were they of the biting nature. We had to stop, remove all stuff from the car and try and get rid of the ants. We borrowed a broom from from a petrol pump and tried to remove whatever was visible. But they kept pouring in from the carpet as if by magic. Finally, we reached some village, bought boric acid and sprinkled it all over the carpet and seats. It was then that the 'ant attack' finally stopped! We lost a good hour in this ordeal, and were exactly late for the Fazilka ceremony by one hour.

But this was excuse enough for another trip to Fazilka/Wagah and onwards to Ladakh next year.

For the photos, a few of them are here, please visit this link: http://www.flickr.com/aalokg

Aalok
Old 12th December 2012, 15:41   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did plan to visit Fazilka, and we were right on time, but then something weird happened in the afternoon in RJ. Tonnes of huge black ants started to emerge from under the seats and carpet, but they were not attracted towards the food, nor were they of the biting nature. We had to stop, remove all stuff from the car and try and get rid of the ants. We borrowed a broom from from a petrol pump and tried to remove whatever was visible. But they kept pouring in from the carpet as if by magic. Finally, we reached some village, bought boric acid and sprinkled it all over the carpet and seats. It was then that the 'ant attack' finally stopped! We lost a good hour in this ordeal, and were exactly late for the Fazilka ceremony by one hour.

But this was excuse enough for another trip to Fazilka/Wagah and onwards to Ladakh next year.

For the photos, a few of them are here, please visit this link: http://www.flickr.com/aalokg

Aalok
Lol this narration sounds like right out of Mummy Returns with all the black bugs out to gobble you. I hope you rectified it after reaching home.
Old 12th December 2012, 15:48   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Lol this narration sounds like right out of Mummy Returns with all the black bugs out to gobble you. I hope you rectified it after reaching home.
I could not have waited for the trip to be over to clear the mess that had just happened on the second day. That night, we reached Amritsar, and I found a 24hr chemist, bought a huge packet of boric acid, I think it was 2kg, and put it all over the carpet and seats. The black carpet turned white, and is almost white till this day. After a while, found a lot of dead ants and their larvae.

Does anyone here have any idea how or why this happened in the first place ?
We had not left any food in the car on our stopever at RTDC Kajri, Udaipur the night before.

Aalok
Old 12th December 2012, 15:51   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Farukh, the Santro is one of the most famous vehicles in Ladakh. Assuming that your car is well maintained, you will not have any problems crossing the high passes. Infact, you will be better off than the sedans, thanks to the lower weight, short wheelbase and shorter overhangs.
Quote:
Definately your Santro can do the trip owing its stiffer springs, shorter wheelbase, and less overhangs.

Here is the link to the current group in FB to discuss this trip:

Destination Leh 2013
Gives me immense confidence. My Santro is in very good condition. Letís hope nothing deters me. Fingers crossed

BTW I am now in the FB group too.
Farukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 16:07   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Does anyone here have any idea how or why this happened in the first place ?
We had not left any food in the car on our stopever at RTDC Kajri, Udaipur the night before.

Aalok
Very strange, why because my car most of the times has something or the other spilled on the floor, partly due to a very foodie family . But I have never seen infestation. Might be Mumbai ants who could not stand the Rajasthan heat and started coming out.

Since this is driving the thread OT you can post in this link http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...oblems-71.html (Tata Indica - List of problems)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
Gives me immense confidence. My Santro is in very good condition. Let’s hope nothing deters me. Fingers crossed

BTW I am now in the FB group too.
Welcome aboard sir, we can use all the hands available to make it a successful trip.
Old 12th December 2012, 16:34   #71
BHPian

HI, I am from Chennai and I like to join the trip for the AUG 2013 do i need to bring my Car separately or can I join with somebody who's making it from Banglore as i see nobody is from Chennai planing this trip.

Please respond to this request soon, as i need to make arrangement according to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
You can consider my participation as well. I'll get my Punto along and am open to others joining me, since I cannot get along a really young kid and my wife.

just saw your post and I like to join with you if you are interested and we could be help to each other please specify your plan in advance to plan accordingly.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th December 2012 at 01:26. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
sathyaprakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 10:01   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
HI, I am from Chennai and I like to join the trip for the AUG 2013 do i need to bring my Car separately or can I join with somebody who's making it from Banglore as i see nobody is from Chennai planing this trip.

Please respond to this request soon, as i need to make arrangement according to it. just saw your post and I like to join with you if you are interested and we could be help to each other please specify your plan in advance to plan accordingly.
Sure you are welcome aboard. Till now no one is there from Chennai. But quite a few cars coming from Bangalore. Royalcruiser and one more person named Rohit is there with room I think. By the way which car are you planning to bring incase you are bringing your vehicle?
Old 13th December 2012, 10:40   #73
BHPian

Awesome, I have been dreaming about this trip for sometime now. I would love to join this trip - however, I can manage leaves only for 2 weeks (16 days). So if we start on 24th Aug 2013, I should be back by 8th Sep 2013 so that I have to go back to office on 9th Sep. And is anyone coming with the family? I would like to come along with my wife and get my Punto along.
punto_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 10:53   #74
BHPian

I've managed to approve leave. The dilemma: shell I take a risk to come along with my wife and 3 year old kid or with male friends only or take wife and kid up to certain level.
Tushargohil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 11:22   #75
BHPian

I would like to join this great journey, please include me in the list.

Can I do this drive in my Vento TDI HL ?

I am encouraged by thread from fellow Bangalorean who took his Linea & conquered.
anand_hc is offline   Reply With Quote