Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

View Poll Results: Please vote for your choice of dates and destination
Mahe 1 9.09%
Dandeli 9 81.82%
Feb 9 & 10 1 9.09%
Feb 16 & 17 2 18.18%
Feb 23 & 24 9 81.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th July 2013, 14:51   #271
BHPian

Default Re: 2013 Team-BHP Bangalore Overnight Meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSUDARSANAN View Post
Thanks Ampere for the suggestions:
- to soak in Emerald/Avalanche lake vistas, a drive past wouldn't do justice so I did check with RedHills Nature resort for the overnight option. Unfortunately they are closed in the monsoons. Carry forward to the next drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice snaps! So finally you guys went via Lovedale and not Emerald/Avalanche.
The lakes would have been nice! But who cares ! A nice drive you all had. Thats what matters
Had RedHills Nature resort been open, Emerald/Avalanche would have been the ideal option. There's always a 'next time', we need that, don't we ?
RSUDARSANAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 14:57   #272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Had RedHills Nature resort been open, Emerald/Avalanche would have been the ideal option. There's always a 'next time', we need that, don't we ?
Very true! But what I meant was even without Red Hills, the drive via that lake side is very nice. And about Savoy, once while staying there 3-4 years back, I walked all the way from there to the track side of Ooty station down the declivity. It was fun!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 15:52   #273
BHPian

Awesome snaps and writeup guys!

BTW we ran into you guys after Chamarajnagar (CBR + Ninja).
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 16:42   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Dhanush: Posted the last instalment of the report and rushed off for a meeting; which is why I did not see your post; sorry if I gave the impression of ignoring your request.
Not at all. I knew that you would've missed my post in hurry. I pinged again to bring that forth cos I was afraid whether my post will get submerged amongst other good wishes. I couldn't afford that because this peice of information was very vital for me.

Quote:
My suggestion is apart from your GPS support, check with the locals at every cross road (if in doubt) once you are on the Gedhai dam-Manjoor road from Karamadai. Once you've finished the 43 U-bends, ask for Lovedale Ooty route. On this route Chamaraj Tea centre will come up on your right 20 kms short of Ooty.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So finally you guys went via Lovedale and not Emerald/Avalanche.
The lakes would have been nice!
Even I was thinking of taking the Avalanche road after Manjur towards Ooty. Avalanche and Emerald Lakes are amongst our 'places to visit' list and was thinking of dovetailing it in the onward drive. I doubt whether I would take a deviation just to have tea from Chamaraj Tea Centre.

Thanks a lot RSUDARSANAN. Your inputs were of immense help

One more query please. Is the 'Fern Hill Palace Heritage hotel' a place which is open for visitors as a palace or is it only a hotel with commercial end to it?

Last edited by dhanushmenon : 10th July 2013 at 16:50.
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 16:57   #275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
One more query please. Is the 'Fern Hill Palace Heritage hotel' a place which is open for visitors as a palace or is it only a hotel with commercial end to it?
Its available both as a restaurant, hotel to stay and also as a place to visit.
Once I visited the palace and also had coffee there.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 17:03   #276
BHPian

Quote:
It's a full fledged hotel:

http://www.fernhillspalace.co.in/

Quote:
Even I was thinking of taking the Avalanche road after Manjur towards Ooty. Avalanche and Emerald Lakes are amongst our 'places to visit' list and was thinking of dovetailing it in the onward drive.
If you do, most likely you will enter Ooty via the Fernhill Palace. IIRC, there is an Avalanche road sign outside the palace gate.

Last edited by RSUDARSANAN : 10th July 2013 at 17:17.
Old 11th July 2013, 19:33   #277
BHPian

Great pictures. The Brigade of T-Bhp cars looks elegant (Road-side pic & the one in the resort). I am a Bangalorean since 8 months now and eagerly wished to join you all for this meet.

I missed it due to busy schedule this month. Will try to join next time, positively.
Satshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 19:32   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj
Nikhil - How did your civic with tein suspension manage corners? any oversteers? or were you happy with it.
Compared to the stock Civic, it feels more oversteery. I know some of you may laugh, but I felt sometimes that I was turning the steering wheel more than necessary and I had to correct myself mid-corner. When the suspension is on the stiffest setting, it feels absolutely AMAZING! Remember that Top Gear Episode where Jeremy Clarkson says that "turning the steering wheel in this Lamborghini is a physically pleasurable sensation"? My car is like that for me. It is a joy to turn the car at highway speeds.

My car felt like an extension of my mind. I would want it to turn and it just would. No drama, nothing.

Crests - No problem!
Crests along with a curve at high speed - No problem!

I would happily spend the 1 lakh or so on my suspension again if I had to!

Overall, this trip was amazing!

The best bits was when I was tailing one of the really fast cars (either the BMW or the Rapid).

Coming back from Gundulpet to Bangalore through NH 209 was simply incredible! I was tailing the Rapid through most of it and if I was alone I wouldnt have driven the way I did. Jayanth in the Rapid clearly has a lot more experience driving and I was content to be following him and his excellent signals.

This was an awesome trip with fellow auto enthusiasts and the best aprt was that the conversation did not always start and end with cars!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 17:17   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Any plans for the upcoming long (Independence day) weekend?

I'm planning a ride to Ooty, Coorg, Chickmagalur - any one of these places depending on the road conditions and accommodation availability.

Please let me know the condition of the roads, thanks.

If anyone wants to join me, please let me know.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2013, 18:26   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Any plans for the upcoming long (Independence day) weekend?

I'm planning a ride to Ooty, Coorg, Chickmagalur - any one of these places depending on the road conditions and accommodation availability.

Please let me know the condition of the roads, thanks.

If anyone wants to join me, please let me know.
Long weekend? Friday is a working day I guess, atleast in my case it is.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2013, 19:03   #281
BHPian

Question Re: 2013 Team-BHP Bangalore Overnight Meet

The tarmac beckons…

Time to hit the road since the twisty Ooty trip ... proposing another weekend over-nighter:

When: 26/27 Oct ‘13

Destination: JLR River Tern Lodge. A tryst with nature ~ the tranquil waters of Bhadra reservoir extending far out into the horizon and lapping at your feet…well almost, if you can stretch your feet or imagination

The drive: http://goo.gl/maps/jFFTa

Bangalore - NH 4 - Tumkur - NH 206 - Arsikere - Tarikere - Lakkavalli - JLR RiverTern Lodge - NH 206 - Tarikere - SH 57 - Hassan - NH 48 - Nelamangala - NH 4 - Bangalore

Game ? : If aye-aye, then do add your name to the list and self book your accommodation online ( avail 5% discount )

Family / friends / significant other are welcome

Accomodation: http://www.junglelodges.com/itinerary10
Tariff: Rs. 5,000/- per person per night on twin-sharing basis.

Itinerary:

26 Oct:
7.00 -.7.30 am: “Hi over b’fast” @ Agarwal Bhawan NH4 [ http://goo.gl/maps/Jn9Ws ]
Note: To reach Agarwal Bhavan exit on to the service road @ NICE Ring road- NH 4 junction as there is no access near Agarwal Bhavan on NH 4.

8.00 am: depart Agarwal Bhavan
9.00 am regroup Tumkur
10.00 am regroup Tiptur
11.00 - 11.30 am Kadur ~ dosa break at Preethi Canteen (a Tlog recommendation)
12.30 pm arr River Tern Lodge.

Programme: As per JLR package
Package Inludes: Stay, Lunch, Dinner & Breakfast, Jeep Safari into the Bhadra Tiger Reserve, Boat Ride, Bird Watching, Forest Entry Fees, Camera Fees & Taxes. Water Sports at extra cost

27 Oct:
11.00 am: Check-out and depart.
1.00-2.00 pm: Chikmagalur - Lunch venue TBD
2.00 pm: depart
3.00 pm: regroup Hassan;
4.00 pm regroup Channarayapatna
4.30 - 5.15 pm Bellur Cross CCD refreshment break
7.00 - 8.00 pm: “Bye”s over a farewell supper (?) @ Taj Vivanta Yeshwantpur / any other TBD

*Post lunch optional stop-overs TBD: Yagachi Dam / Belur / Halebeedu

P.S. Suggestions, if any, invited to tweak in upgrades to the itinerary.

Drive advisory:

A. For those who wish to put their rides thru its paces, do halt at the regrouping points, to enable the rest to catch up.

B. The designated lead car, shall bring up the rest following the convoy principle "It is each individual driver's responsibility to keep the vehicle behind him or her in sight, insuring the group stays together.

Confirmed:

1. RSudarsanan + 2 (320d)
Old 29th September 2013, 19:11   #282
BHPian

Great planning, Rsudarsanan :-)

Sounds like the perfect time to visit bhadra reservoir

I am in + 1.

Confirmed:

2. Diesel_convert + 1
Diesel_convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2013, 10:37   #283
BHPian

Great idea, RSUDARSANAN, and as always, great planning :-)

This should be an exciting drive. I am in.

Confirmed:

2. Diesel_convert + 1
3. Dr.AD (SX4)
Dr.AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2013, 13:13   #284
Senior - BHPian

After missing out on the RS sir's Ooty drive, I'm in for this meet . I have another trip with my family on the Nov 1st long weekend, but I'll convince my folks and sneak away for this one somehow. Yet to make the bookings with river tern lodge. I'll do it sometime today or tomorrow.

Updating confirmed list:

2. Diesel_convert + 1 (Rapid)
3. Dr.AD (SX4)
4. KarthikK (Linea T-Jet)

Is the approach road to Bhadra forest via Arsikere-Kadur route or is it via Chikmagalur-Aldur?? Just curious since both roads enter the same forest from different directions

Last edited by KarthikK : 30th September 2013 at 13:18.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2013, 13:32   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Is the approach road to Bhadra forest via Arsikere-Kadur route or is it via Chikmagalur-Aldur?? Just curious since both roads enter the same forest from different directions
You can approach it on both routes. The easier one would be via Kadur. A couple of kms from Tarikere towards Bhadravati you an arch on the left side which takes you to the Bhadra reservior. Take that road and head towards Lakavalli which is 15 odd kms and then from there I guess the JLR is around 3 kms or so. There are sufficient sign boards.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote