Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 13th October 2015, 23:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet

Right at the onset, I would like to admit that, this was a meet so dynamic, that my perception of it, kept changing every minute.

Initially had got to know from Bhpian Samba and AJ-got-BHP that this was a Ford owners meet. Then came to know that there would be "Ford" company representation, hence we decided to join this as a team-bhp family.

Then over the course of the meet, came to know that this was actually a FB group of Figo owners, who are now extending the previlege to accept owners of other Ford vehicles in their midst.

Then we got to know that Ford wanted to sponsor the meet, an offer that was found appropriate to be refused.

With this background, sharing a few pics of whatever meet this was.

As the saying goes (or probably being coined by me the first time), "Its difficult for Team-bhp to not have fun!"

The Team-bhp members who participated are (apart from "yours crazily" in a dilapidated black Ikon 1.6 nxt)

1>Navsjab (I am writing his name first because I am biassed, who is not?) - Silver Ikon 1.6 nxt

2>AJ-got-BHP - Leh'd Figo 1.4 TDCI -white

3> Samba - Non Leh'd Figo 1.4 TDCI - white

4> petrolhead_neel - Paprica Red Classic 1.6 (Driven by chauffeur)

5> Lovecars21 - Yet to be run in Ruby Red Figo Aspire

So Ruby and Paprica shades of Red aside, these were the only two colours that did not have a pair, but they are!

Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-img_4805.jpg

My 2004 Panther Black Ikon 1.6 now has a companion in Navsjab's Silver Ikon 1.6.

Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-img_4806.jpg

The yet to be run-in newborn

Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-img_4812.jpg

Discussions while on the long wait for the organizing forum folks to turn up. It was fun despite the heat.

Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-img_4814.jpg

After resumption, the drive began to the usual Azad Hind Dhaba, around 37kms away.

We were given some instructions, like maintaining start order, not overtaking the lead car and not exceeding 70kmph (relaxed to 80kmph after deliberations), although the expressway speed limit is 100kmph. Ofcourse its perceived to be safer if one drives under the prescribed speed limit (debate invited!!)

Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-img_4816.jpg

Oh! This is now a Team-bhp car!

Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-img_4818.jpg

Some more Ford Owners on their drive.

Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-img_4823.jpg

Birds of a (team-bhp) feather flock together

Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-img_4833.jpg

Apart from Navsjab, we were all disciplined! Navsjab though is not to be blamed, the culprit as usual was @Samba.

Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-img_4854.jpg

A parting shot!

Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-img_4855.jpg

In the end, it was a fun day. We did not return empty handed, as there was a quiz event, although there were some controversies, but all in good fun and amusement.

Requesting the others to post their snaps/views etc and feel free to contradict my post!

Oh yes, we had a fantastic OTR conducted by Kolkata offroaders the day before and had to stop over at the same place. The vehicles were Jeeps with old diesel engines, two of them were Ford's!
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015, 23:53   #2
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet

The write-up you have shared is already very detailed. I don't think there is anything left which i can add ! The pics are as-usual great!

Still a small thing i would like to mention is your suggestion to gather few thousand rupees from the participants and use that amount for donation to the needy on behalf of the Ford meet.

This time am really sorry i left back my Dslr, so except one panorama from my mobile i do not have any more pics to share. :(

Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-img_5108.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 14th October 2015 at 00:02.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 08:08   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I am feeling for the poor Neel. Prior to I turned 18, I just wanted to push the chauffeur aside and start driving myself. He never braked, accelerated and took corners the way I wanted.

Next time, I want to drive your Ford 1100D, please.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 10:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am feeling for the poor Neel. Prior to I turned 18, I just wanted to push the chauffeur aside and start driving myself. He never braked, accelerated and took corners the way I wanted.
Little Neel has been shown that even before he turns 18 and is allowed to drive, he can still keep himself engaged to the wonderful world of cars in a different way, that way, when he finally turns road legal, there would be no stopping him!

Quote:
Oh sure, be my guest, but, please keep the speed restricted to 80kmph on a 100kmph limit expressway and no overtaking! Otherwise, you will be booked for being indisciplined!
Old 14th October 2015, 12:26   #5
BHPian

Hi 1100D,

Thanks for sharing this Sir. Wonderful pictures and writeup.

I would like to highlight another point here. The evnt arranger wanted it to be a national event. So, they contacted members of other cities through Facebook and guess what, there was a Ford owner's meet in some other cities like Chennai on the same day too! Now that's innovative.

This Sunday was a great experience for me. In fact, it was my best Team-BHP meet till date in spite of the least number of BHPians this time. We had long discussions about Ford accompanied by a sumptuous meal @Azadhind Dhaba, Gopalpur. We explained to the Ford officials what the enthusiasts wanted from Ford.

A special thanks goes to BHPian 1100D. This was the first time I met him and it was a wonderful experience. In the short course of time, I learned so much from him. He clicked some beautiful pictures of the Classic.

And his Ikon(christened KITT) which he just called "dilapidated" isn't so at all. In fact, you would have a hard time digesting the fact that she is more than a decade old. The two Ikons were stealing the show with their induction snort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

Still a small thing i would like to mention is your suggestion to gather few thousand rupees from the participants and use that amount for donation to the needy on behalf of the Ford meet.

Quote:

Exactly so. You, Sir, echoed my thoughts exactly. Sometimes I think, "Does he know how to drive?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Little Neel has been shown that even before he turns 18 and is allowed to drive, he can still keep himself engaged to the wonderful world of cars in a different way, that way, when he finally turns road legal, there would be no stopping him!
Thank you Sir. Hope these five years pass away quickly.

Here is a pic by our very own AJ-got-BHP from his Ladakh trip that describes the meet:
Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-ltd.jpg

The admins of the Ford meet will be supplying me with some more data soon and I will post that on this thread. Till then, ciao!

Cheers,
Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 14th October 2015 at 12:45.
petrolhead_neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 12:41   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Team-Bhp Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet

Before getting into the proceedings of the Meet, I would like to share some short briefing about the event which we were given prior to having our Lunch at the Azad Hind Dhaba, Gopalpur on NH2.

The Ford Figo India Owner's Group is a closed group initially formed on facebook by a handful of people from Kolkata a few years back. Sharing the link -https://www.facebook.com/groups/fordfigo/

The admins of this group being - Iftekar Ahmed, Debanjan Biswas, Pratim Roychowdhury, Natarajan Chandran, Alexander Jacob, Robin M Das, Avijhit Ghosh, Amarkarthi Arasan, Suyog Vyawahare. Slowly and steadily the group started growing on facebook and currently has over 7000 members in it

As the group started to gain popularity, there were other Ford owners (mainly non Figo owners also) who wanted to be a part of this group. It was then that the Ford India Owner's Group was formed on facebook with just a count of over 270 members as on date. Sharing the link - https://www.facebook.com/groups/fordownersindia/

Their main objective is to let the brotherhood amongst Ford India Owners Group grow for which they seek the support and recognition from Ford India Pvt. Ltd. in the times to come.

This meet was an initiative by the Common Admins of these groups and it was an All India Meet held in various metropolitan cities of India. BHpian petrolhead_Neel who is very actively in touch with the admins of these groups shall be able to enlighten you about the greater details of the PAN India event.

At my end, I would like to share some pictures of BHPians at the "Ford Owner's Meet" making the presence of TEAM-BHP felt :

To start with the new possession of BHPian lovecars21 - The Figo Aspire Diesel :
Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-_mg_0021.jpg

BHPians in sequence lovecars21, 1100D & navsjab :
Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-_mg_0020.jpg

BHPian Samba's Figo Diesel (on the Left) and my Figo (on the right) sharing a frame :
Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-_mg_0022.jpg

BHPian dieselOmaniac (a newbie) joins in :
Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-_mg_0027.jpg

The Ford Josh Machines - The Ikon 1.6 Petrol of 1100D & navsjab :
Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-_mg_0033.jpg

Gorgeous :
Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-_mg_0036.jpg

BHPian 1100D posing before my Figo :
Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-_mg_0038.jpg

The BHPians parked all together :
Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-_mg_0042.jpg
lovecars21's Aspire, navsjab's Silver Ikon 1.6, 1100D's Ikon 1.6, My Figo ZXi, Samba's Figo EXi, petrolhead_Neel's Classic

BHPian navsjab's Ikon posing with the Aspire of BHPian lovecars21 :
Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-_mg_0043.jpg

While my Figo shared a frame with the iconic Ikon of 1100D :
Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-img_0040.jpg

Taking the opportunity of sharing some snaps taken by BHPian lovecars21, hope you would not mind !!

1100D and Samba sharing a light moment together :
Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-11168881_10206842900087710_8106633673684946091_n.jpg

The White Figo(s) Look Rocking together :
Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-11225736_10206842900447719_881603977794355273_n.jpg

My Figo enroute Azaad Hind Dhaba, Gopalpur on NH2 :
Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-12096217_10206842900367717_1154759069287740369_n.jpg

The oldest Dealer of Ford in Kolkata i.e. Ganges Ford took active participation in the event by showcasing, displaying and giving the opportunity to Ford Lovers to Test Drive their newly launched Diesel Ford Figo Aspire. There were certain question and answer sessions also conducted by them; where attendees were rewarded for providing the correct answers with Service Coupons and freebies like Car Perfume, T-Shirts and Photo Frames from the part of Ganges Ford.

Sharing a picture of the takeaways distributed by them to all the attendees present at the location :
Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet-ford-cup.jpg
AJ-got-BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 16:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post

The Ford Figo India Owner's Group is a closed group initially formed on facebook by a handful of people from Kolkata a few years back. Sharing the link -https://www.facebook.com/groups/fordfigo/

The admins of this group being - Iftekar Ahmed, Debanjan Biswas, Pratim Roychowdhury, Natarajan Chandran, Alexander Jacob, Robin M Das, Avijhit Ghosh, Amarkarthi Arasan, Suyog Vyawahare. Slowly and steadily the group started growing on facebook and currently has over 7000 members in it

As the group started to gain popularity, there were other Ford owners (mainly non Figo owners also) who wanted to be a part of this group. It was then that the Ford India Owner's Group was formed on facebook with just a count of over 270 members as on date. Sharing the link - https://www.facebook.com/groups/fordownersindia/

Their main objective is to let the brotherhood amongst Ford India Owners Group grow for which they seek the support and recognition from Ford India Pvt. Ltd. in the times to come.

This meet was an initiative by the Common Admins of these groups and it was an All India Meet held in various metropolitan cities of India. BHpian petrolhead_Neel who is very actively in touch with the admins of these groups shall be able to enlighten you about the greater details of the PAN India event.

Thanks for these details, which emerged as the meet got underway. Would have helped if one would have known beforehand. Would have helped prioritizing with a few things.

Quote:

The oldest Dealer of Ford in Kolkata i.e. Ganges Ford took active participation in the event by showcasing, displaying and giving the opportunity to Ford Lovers to Test Drive their newly launched Diesel Ford Figo Aspire. There were certain question and answer sessions also conducted by them; where attendees were rewarded for providing the correct answers with Service Coupons and freebies like Car Perfume, T-Shirts and Photo Frames from the part of Ganges Ford.

Sharing a picture of the takeaways distributed by them to all the attendees present at the location :
Attachment 1427054
This was also the amusing part of it, the Ganges Ford representation. There was a prize for saying that Henry Ford had swedish origins, and his obvious UK/British family base was a wrong information posted on Wikipedia (let alone what I was communicated long back by my Grandfather).

Then there was a question on where the Figo was designed and talking about the Ford Europe center where the fifth generation Fiesta hatch (on which the Figo is directly based) was designed was wrong. They would accept an answer specific to Figo-isation of the Fiesta at Australia.

Then there was a prize for maintaining a Ford. We learnt that the maintenance of a vehicle can be judged without wasting time on inspecting the vehicles in question, instead just the overall kilometers that a vehicle has done was taken as a yardstick and a decision was arrived at around 50 meters away from the cars.

I am not sure if acknowledging the old hogs that are holding on to their own, despite their age, would have instilled confidence in owners of newer vehicles that Ford cars hold up pretty good, if maintained properly.

In the end, it was surely a great meet. A great one, probably before changing ship.

Ironically we are talking about the oldest Ford dealership in Calcutta, Ganges Ford, the Black 1.6 Ikon (that I lovingly call KITT) was delivered in the first week of the dealers inauguration in early Sep 2004. But those days were different.

However, my journey with Ford so far has been quite a positive one, be it the support I received from the workshop or the company whenever required.
Old 14th October 2015, 16:56   #8
BHPian

that there were a lot of debatable answers to the questions asked; answers that were accepted and which had neither any background nor any base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Then there was a prize for maintaining a Ford. We learnt that the maintenance of a vehicle can be judged without wasting time on inspecting the vehicles in question, instead just the overall kilometers that a vehicle has done was taken as a yardstick and a decision was arrived at around 50 meters away from the cars.

I am not sure if acknowledging the old hogs that are holding on to their own, despite their age, would have instilled confidence in owners of newer vehicles that Ford cars hold up pretty good, if maintained properly.
This was something at which even I was shocked. No physical inspection rather not even a glimpse at the cars lined up and off coarse no check of what's under the hood ...... and The Award Goes To BHPian dieselOmaniac for clocking the highest numbers on the odo amidst everyone present there at the venue. I do not question the fact that how well Arnab's Car must be maintained, but yes, they should have atleast checked the cars rather than distributing that prize based on Odo reading itself.

By the way 1100D - How can you forget that the "FIAT ABARTH is an SUV" episode ??

When I think of it ......
AJ-got-BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 17:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and The Award Goes To BHPian dieselOmaniac for clocking the highest numbers on the odo amidst everyone present there at the venue.
That's the good part, that the award still ducked into Team Bhp fold.

Quote:
I do not question the fact that how well Arnab's Car must be maintained, but yes, they should have atleast checked the cars rather than distributing that prize based on Odo reading itself.
True. Judging the maintenance, would require among many parameters and physical inspection the age of the machine and how the machine is holding up with respect to the elapsed time from the vehicle having left the assembly line.

On that count, Navsjab's josh machine was also a super contender for the crown, despite the multi-pcd alloys.

Infact all the cars looked equally good and hence age would have definitely been a differentiating point. I dont expect this gathering to go into details of looking underneath the boot carpet and the original jack/handle/pintlehook etc.

Quote:
By the way 1100D - How can you forget that the "FIAT ABARTH is an SUV" episode ??

When I think of it ......
And he was representing Ganges Ford, the judge and the one assigning Henry Ford's origins. No wonder amusement took better of frustration!

Besides, the question to the ladies about the which is the boot and which is the hood, was so below standard, that the ladies protested that asking such a question to the ladies is like belittling them.
Old 14th October 2015, 22:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like fun overall!

Probably the first time I've heard of a dealership participating in an owner's meet. Good show that way. I too, am happy with my Ford ownership experience.

Btw, next time owners should ask questions to the dealership folks. And reward them with the promise of a new booking for every right answer

Last edited by shuvc : 14th October 2015 at 22:50.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2015, 02:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Sounds like fun overall!

Probably the first time I've heard of a dealership participating in an owner's meet. Good show that way. I too, am happy with my Ford ownership experience.

Btw, next time owners should ask questions to the dealership folks. And reward them with the promise of a new booking for every right answer
On a different note, we were speaking that day that, even with such a percentage of team bhp fords turning up, we could potentially have lot more.

One could add the

Fiesta of Xeta
Fiesta 1.6S of Premjit
Razors stunning blue figo
and yours too.

Its interesting to see how many Fords have been added to the T-bhp kolkata gang over the years.

In contrast in the initial years of our group, KITT was probably the only one. Infact I received disbelieving faces when I turned up with a new Ford in 2004 contrary to what most of closest friends could expect of me.

Ford had won me over in 2004, and hence, the present diluted experience of the new Figo platform is really disappointing, but it kind of makes up with the diesel engine. But then the numbers that Ford manages with these cars over the long run will be interesting to watch, especially since many of the enthusiasts are surely going to go elsewhere.
Old 18th October 2015, 23:48   #12
BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHP Kolkata presence at the Ford Figo owners meet

Excellent write up & lovely pics! Glad to see you guys had a wonderful time. Too bad i missed this event, will definitely try to join next time ! But i wont be a part of 80Kmph convoy for sure

Last edited by Samfromindia : 18th October 2015 at 23:50.
Samfromindia is offline   Reply With Quote