Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Closed Thread

Old 29th December 2006, 11:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default A brief overview

First of all Hats off to Zak for making this event happen . If not for his pursuation and effort it would have never been such a pleasurable one.
I had to come back today coz of some personal reasons , It had been a wonderful meet any way and the drive was too good. Here are some pics I had taken on the way from Start along the way to Vellapara. And one more lesson I had learned - " Never take 13 Biriyanus in your boot when you are planning to go fast "

Old 29th December 2006, 11:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the update, Maxbhp!

The boot must have stank to high heaven. I learnt a similar lesson about a year back, but it was 3 biriyanis and luckily the accident happened in the rear passenger footwell. It took about a week for the olfactory reminder to fade away.
Old 29th December 2006, 12:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default And Zakkie thanks for making this !

Zakkie , I know u had taken lot of trouble for this . Am apologising for my early exit any way Its really nice of you.
Old 29th December 2006, 23:36   #4
BHPian

Thumbs up Hey we are back!!!

IT WAS A HELLUVA MEET GUYS..... fun and thrill packed with drifts, dusty and smoky off road speeding followed by a night safari!!!! We all enjoyed the drive to the fullest..... supporting report and pics will follow soon....
@maxbhp, cheers for that startup reports.... will continue that tomorrow....
sad that am really tired now...gotta sleep now.... chall...
cheers!!

Last edited by nikkibike : 29th December 2006 at 23:37.
Old 30th December 2006, 00:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
Guys who havent gone for the meet and are lucky enough to be working instead...Dont worry guys,it might be very cold there,with no range ..and no computers.I am sure they might be missing us ,their offices and their work ..Sigh!!!
I read your post and stopped cursing my boss for not having given me leaves post 27th to make it for the meet. I cant find a better way to console myself dude.
Old 30th December 2006, 00:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

I met the guys after they came back tonight. From the reports, they had a great meet, and an absolutely great drive. I saw a video of some driving on JK's phone and it looked great! Too bad I couldn't make it :-(

Last edited by hydrashok : 30th December 2006 at 00:41.
Old 30th December 2006, 02:18   #7
BANNED

Guys!
This meet was great. It had all the right ingredients for a perfect meet recipe.

Whole lot of communication gaps, confusions, bad roads, normal drop outs, some great cars, scintillating drive thru scenic mountains and forest roads, some home printed T-shirts, plenty of waterfalls, beautiful rapids, exciting weather (chilly & sunny at a time), cozy beds, boring & long but nice to listen stories, luscious home cooked food, some nice drinks to go with, some very nice hosts, beautiful mountain fresh tea & coffee, exciting night safari, a chatty time around a cozy warm campfire till 3.30am, a lazy wake up, carwashes, avoiding routine morning shower by the excuse of waterfalls, losing way in deep jungle, meeting more Bhpians on the way, having tea @ a fellow Bhpian's house, meeting up the guys who couldn't make it for the drive and best of all, just spending some quality time with a bunch of wonderful and great Bhpians!
Man! What more would one ask for??

Thanks to all those great souls who made it, missed it, helped this happen and a very big thanks to TEAM-BHP.

I especially thank Mr. Murali (Estate Manager) his wife Radhika and his assistants who made all the efforts to keep us comfortable. (I think he should've joined Team-Bhp by now!!)

Reports and pics are going to be pouring in very soon. (The cameras had a nice clicking time too) So, watch this space!!
Old 30th December 2006, 08:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good Morning - I blanked out as soon as I reached home yesterday. 4 hours of sleep the previous night followed by some very spirited driving on the ghats to keep up with 2 restless little Altos, one Swift driven by a crazy tailgater (Nikki, the next time I wont just brake hard in front of you - I will also engage reverse and drive over your pride and joy) and a beautiful City 1.5 can be pretty taxing....thank god for highways!

It was a fun drive, starting from Chalakkudy from where the road till Athirampilly (called the 'Tourist Road') was smooth and curvy - did quite a few 'Dicor Drifts' on that one once I found that my tires were hardly adequate for the dynamics of the 'Psyched Out' suspension.

It was sad to see Joz and Anju leave us after lunch at Vazhachal, but they had a good reason to leave - thanks for coming all the way just to join us for a short while, Joz. The same cannot be said for Messrs Carfreak and MaxBHP, but hey they missed out on all the fun. The drive through the cratered forest roads was done at some crazy speeds (if you see the 'road' you will understand), with all the vehicles taking some real beating. Thankfully my beast come out of it without any rattles.

Stopped for tea at the border, which turned out to be a good idea considering the confusion that followed thereafter. Turns out that the 'agent' who arranged the accomodation showed us the pictures of 'x' and booked us on 'y' which was nowhere as good. After a few telephonic arguements, we decided to make the best of what we had and with the help of the Estate Manager Murali and his wife we made ourselves at home in college style ("dormitory accomodation" for the guys while the ladies and children got a room to themselves).

Went out on a 'Night Safari' on a highly customized covertible Mitsubishi which featured a roll-cage, fancy passenger-cabin lighting and advanced in-car communications for the passengers to talk to the driver. It even had sleeping arrangements inside which the three kids promptly used to go off to sleep.

Didnt see any wildlife (the wildlife was inside the vehicle), but that was a wild ride alright!

Came back and Nikkibike promptly went off to sleep while we got the campfire going. The initial tiredness wore off once we sat around the fire, and we continued talking nonsense till about 3.30 am. I crashed at around 3, only to be woken up by the factory siren at 7.

If that was bad, we found that Nikkibike had woken up at 6, and went out for a walk in the hills with Duboy (my son). When they returned, the rest of the bunch were woken up by the excited chattering of a 7-year-old who seemed to be charged up by the mountain air.

After breakfast (??? at 11?) we visited the tea factory and saw how the leaves get converted into Tea. Packed up some tea for everyone and started off on the 40-hairpin road down to Pollachi (1 or 2 pm). Now that was some SERIOUS fun. My only gripe was that I was behind Quicksilver's Honda, and he has a habit of braking very early - very frustrating for me as I lost speed into every corner and ended up with no boost (@ < 1,500 rpm) after the upshift at the apex.

Still we made pretty good time and stopped at a famous shack for Biryani Lunch (I went without lunch as they had nothing vegetarian) before which Nikki pulled one of his infamous 'Tailgate and Swing out' overtaking manouvres on me. Made a mental note to run over that pesky Swift the next time he tried that.

Stopped at Pollachi where we were told Wildcard is waiting for us. We went to his LOVELY house for tea, met his family and saw his prizewinning Pugs ("Hutch Dog" according to Duboy who went fida over them and was nearly in tears on the way back home because we didnt pick up one of the 5 pups). I might have to come to Pollachi once more, Doctor !!!

Had a great ride from Pollachi to Trichur - the road upto Palghat via Gopalapuram was great and fairly traffic-free and I was doing 140 kph throughout. Had a near miss after Palghat when a truckie obscured my view completely just as I started overtaking a car. He pulled out of his overtake suddenly and I found myself face to face with a trailer truck steaming in from the opposite direction....thought I've had it, yanked my steering to the left and slammed on the brakes and the Dicor DRIFTED past the stunned trailer-driver. It was a very near thing - thankfully we werent going too fast because of the traffic.

Rest of the drive was uneventful except for a brief while before Cochin when I decided to brake for Nikki - it was JKDas driving the car this time, though. REMEMBER, NIKKI - NEXT TIME I WILL REVERSE.

All in all a pretty good trip with some great driving moments.

Thank you, Zak - for organizing the event. Thanks for making the arrangements, making a few hundred phone calls to co-ordinate with everyone, following it up with PMs, organizing the T-Shirts, and generally being the TBHPian of the moment! Three Cheers for Zakkie! PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU COLLECT MONEY FOR THE ACCOMODATION FROM ALL THOSE WHO CONFIRMED - GUYS PLEASE NOTE THAT ZAK PAID OUT OF HIS POCKET FOR EVERYONE'S ACCOMODATION (SINCE BOOKING WAS ONLY THROUGH FULL ADVANCE PAYMENT) BASED ON THE CONFIRMATIONS.

Thank you, Zak's wife - for sitting up the whole night before to iron-transfer all the prints onto 40 T-shirts.

Thank you, Joz - for coming to meet us despite your pressing family commitments.

Thank you, Murali and Radhika from the estate - for salvaging a very sticky and unsavoury situation.

Thank you, Sreeju - for joining us on the ride and taking your brand-new Alto through those bone-crushing roads. Sorry about that Bent Rim.

Thank you, Quicksilver for driving all the way down from Coimbatore to join us for the drive (very roundabout way of gettting back to CBE!!!) - you made us forget all those people who promised to join us but didnt.

Thank you guys for actually making it - considering the number of chaps who confirmed first only to drop out at the last minute, your participation was especially great. Zak and I had decided long back that we will go ahead with the drive even if it meant that he and I had to do it alone.

Thank you every one of you guys for sitting through Duboy's unending monologues patiently.

Now can we have some pictures, please?

Last edited by Steeroid : 30th December 2006 at 08:55.
Old 30th December 2006, 08:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Awesome wirteup steer.. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun..

Cheers
Godfather
Old 30th December 2006, 09:11   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

a video for now. was taken on my mobile on our way ( in Nikkis swift) to Athirampally. The Alto you see belongs to Joz.\

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

anyone want that Pug's video
Old 30th December 2006, 12:05   #11
Team-BHP Support

You lucky dawgs,

Sounded like the Mardi Gras of motor and testosterone this side of the Atlantic. Steeroid - nice to have another vegetarian around apart from me - hope all the nonveggies rot in the cold side of heaven for all those innocent animals killed
Old 30th December 2006, 13:06   #12
BANNED

Default My version of report with Pics.

28, Dec 2006.
This was the day destined for the 2nd Team-BHP Kerala Meet.
The previous night was quiet hectic. Couldn't get a comfortable sleep. So, I had to wake up a little late than I planned. Phoned all the guys and made sure everybody is up and was shocked to hear that I was late.
Of course, there were some normal last minute cancellations as usual.

10 am.
I recieves a phone call from Nikkibike announcing his arrival at
Wytefort (Where we were supposed to kick off from). I pulls in my yet to be packed bags, wife and kids. One close friend of mine decides to give me company and he joins too. We have to delay ourselves a bit more due to some more phone calls and some work.

11:30 am.
I picked up Carfreak and proceeded to meet Steeroid and Nikkibike who were waiting for us.
We meet Steeroid and Nikkibike on the highway. We decide to drive up as soon as possible.

And straight away, we start driving. Bachelors moved into Nikki's car and me and Steeroid were in our own cars with our family.

12:00 pm.
I decide to fill up Petrol and stops for some Xtra premium!! Steeroid also stops for something.

We continue driving. I get a phone call from QuickSilver and MaxBHP saying that they've reached the place to turn off from the highway towards our destination. Joz also was there with his better half; Anju.
We reach Chalakkudi by about 1pm. Met up Joz and carried on to a hotel where Max, quicksilver and our packed lunch were waiting.

1:15 pm.
We reach the hotel, met up with Max and Quicksilver. Spent some time chatting up and introducing each other.

(I'll be back... Have to attend something now).
Old 30th December 2006, 14:13   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice report Steeroid, made some nice, fun reading. Looks like you guys had a great time
Old 30th December 2006, 17:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
28, Dec 2006.
This was the day destined for the 2nd Team-BHP Kerala Meet.
The previous night was quiet hectic. Couldn't get a comfortable sleep. So, I had to wake up a little late than I planned. Phoned all the guys and made sure everybody is up and was shocked to hear that I was late.
Of course, there were some normal last minute cancellations as usual.

10 am.
I recieves a phone call from Nikkibike announcing his arrival at
Wytefort (Where we were supposed to kick off from). I pulls in my yet to be packed bags, wife and kids. One close friend of mine decides to give me company and he joins too. We have to delay ourselves a bit more due to some more phone calls and some work.
9:55am :P I call you to pick me up. and later Nikki picks me up and we head to Whyte Fort

we wait and we wait ....emmm, Lauras come, Mondeos come, KPSC Lalitha goes in a Scorpio,we wait and wait, Dileep goes too in a Skoda.

comments that i remember;

quicksilver:"tomorrow I am going to TVS start after I reach Kovai"

nikki: "wow. hatchback drifts!!!....wow!!!"

quicksilver: "emm, thats a new noise"

carfreak: "where's my chocolates, it was here"

duboy: "whats the time" asks every 2min, when I said I will help him with crackers by 9pm and so he has to wait another 20min more.

Steeroid:"we will send Rudra a pic of what he missed and you guys don't know how to enjoy a single malt"

quicksilver:"crank up the volume jk, i dont wanna hear the squeaks"

nikki: "wake up wake up!!!" GRRRR

anju: " where do you study " to nikki!!!

steeroid: "we will visit this bungalow again by march or so. No jk, you cant come, bachelor's not allowed" ...[ma heart broke]

do you know:

sreeju's car (alto) is almost brand new. completed 3k thanks to the meet!

we stayed within an estate which covered 2500 or 4500 acres ( forget if it was 25 or 45)

quicksilver was ripping, drifting, raping, molesting his city ( blame his superb ice!)

nikkis swift was running on lpg!!! (halfway!) . Me an lpg fan now, no lag, nothing of that sort! The kit cost him 20k and has a 28kg(lt) tank. A kit by a company called Star.

zak's got two cute kids

dont drive close to a suv on ghat roads

all car's got washed before we started the second trip back to cochin.

steeroid dicor was soundstreamed

zak's alto was blaued and alpined

quicksilver's was hertzed and hertzed!

sree's alto was jblfyed!

nikki's swift was hertzed!

3 alto, one dicor, one swift, one sienna, one ohc;

10 adults+ 3kids stayed back.
Old 30th December 2006, 18:58   #15
BANNED

Default My version of report with Pics. (II)

28, Dec 2006

1:30pm

After that small chit chat next to the hotel, we start driving again towards Athirappilly waterfalls. The road was excellent. Newly tarred, lot of exciting curves including some small hairpins etc.. I was driving slow here to see Steeroid on my rearview mirror. He had stopped some time ago for some reason.

2:00pm
We reached near the waterfalls and after paying up the toll and tickets, we proceeded towards waterfalls.

All the Team-BHPians are moving around chatting and introding each other.
Here, SreejuPS caught up with us. He left Cochin a bit late.

We had planned to have lunch near the falls but the food was in MaxBHP's car. And Mr. Carfreak decided to take a test drive of Max's car and he was bitten by the driving bug. He straight away went enjoying the turbocharged Siena and was nowhere to be seen. We were paused, confused and wondering what to do!!! Quicksilver was very hungry. And damn!!! no mobile network too.
Meanwhile some of us started experimenting each others' ICE setups. Lady folk was busy doing some shopping in the souvenir shops nearby.
After some repeated requests from Steeroid etc, we start driving in the search of Carfreak and Lunch.

2:15 pm.
We reach Vazhachal rapids.
BINGO!!! Thank god!! Carfreak, MaxBHP, his Siena and OUR FOOD was there waiting. (For all those whom don't know, There is a check post here. So, Carfreak stopped his car there. And if that checkpost wasn't there, We could have been left out with empty stomachs).

The parking lot at Vazhachal. There is Mr. Duboy is wearing an oversized RUMBLE T-shirt and being introduced as the smallest Team-BHPian!!

The rapids. Very beautiful and powerful flow too. For some added spice, there were some wild monkeys other than us too.

We reach near the rapids and decide to have lunch there. Were are the tables? There was a small Picnic hall without any tables. We decided to use the floor as the traditional way.

Yes, it was lunch time after all!

(To be continued..)

Last edited by speedzak : 30th December 2006 at 19:00.
Closed Thread