Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 12th June 2007, 19:47   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Between steer u look so different in the snaps....
I'm two years older since we last met, and I wear glasses now. Hence the diff.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 21:04   #92
Senior - BHPian

Nice report guys. Seems like you had an awesome time ...
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 22:34   #93
Senior - BHPian

Hey....

very sorry.... life has been hectic since getting back fromt eh meet... had an awesome time... IN fact think this has to now be at least a bi-monthly thingy!

Learnings from the trip?

1. Take more snaps - mine are redundant!

2. Next time I think of a plan - also need to drum up a plan of following though with it!! - All my plans for JK (his B'day) went waste !!
3. Mcl takes a shine to me ???!!!??? (he cant pen a post without me in it!!.. Everyone's wondering what Psycho will think!! .... LMAO (smiley rule you see!!)

4. Need to keep my kids on a staple diet of NGC and Animal Planet - throw in ample visits to the Zoo as well (.. and a couple of farms for good measure!!) ... most ppl at the meet dint know the difference between Cowdung and Elephant Poo!! (yeah yeah - gleaming eyes and all!)

I am going to be headed - with fly - to Saurai territory for the next couple of days (Mangy/Udupi) ! .. and I remember reading our Samurai San owns or has some thingy to do with some pub thereabouts - lights up my eyes - really does!! - EXCEPT me no know where that is! ***Cry For Help!*** :o(( - Bright side - Am definetely going to take the same route through the Silent Valley getting there - Am actually looking forward to tomorrow!

See you all soon!!... perhaps even with a travelogue!!

G'nite All!
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 22:51   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, snaps are on the way. Pls bear with me a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McL
Parwat, we believe in the mantra "Drive it like it should be driven"
Quote:
Originally Posted by McL
Mainly for overtaking with your two left wheels on dirt, even better with all 4.
Oh yes, absolutely. But C3PO wasnt there yet. And you should have seen the gaps that he was trying to get the Sumo through - wonder if he himself could have gotten through them !

Quote:
Originally Posted by McL
And Harrie had taken over from where R2D2 had left off ..
??
The one thing you did most for v1per - Baby sitting ..
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 22:58   #95
Senior - BHPian

Hello Condor, thanks for letting me drive. I have a feeling it will be the last time . BTW my CD, the Zak one, is in your car.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 23:13   #96
BANNED

Did anybody notice the silence of the forest we were in? Compared to other forests, this one is eerily silent. The only creatures making noises (that too; very unholy kind) were us and dogs when they smelt elephants.

I am stuck at Calicut and won't be able to continue with picture postings tonight.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 23:29   #97
BHPian

Wow I spent the last one hour going thru the snaps. That was one heck of a meet. Everything turned out perfect. Would have been great if we had actually moved our lazy a$$ off to the watch tower by around 2.00 AM Would have for sure caught sightings of the elephants.
Harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 00:30   #98
BHPian

Thumbs down Voice of Dissent

Good to know that you all enjoyed this trip. But I have a strong "voice of dissent" (viyojanakkurippu) regarding this specific trip. Sorry for spoiling the good mood. But I cant resist it.

Even though I would not have complained about normal trekking trips to places like Silent Valley, I do not support this kind of trips to one of the last pieces of pristine evergreen forests in the country. Specifically from reading this thread I understand that you went deep inside the forest and did many activites that could break the delicate balance of life for so many animals in the the forest including many rare and nearly extinct species.

Activities like taking vehicles inside, liquor consumption, playing loud music, revving cars and polluting the air, flashing lights, scaring away wild animals etc are absolutely unpardonable in a place like that. Afaik, legally these are not even allowed in there. But then this trip looked like it was planned out that way. My initial thought that it was purely a trekking expedition.

I dont mind people going to places like Goa or some other hill stations. But this trip is completely "illegal" and cannot be tolerated by any nature lover.

When in cities, all of us will talk for hours together on "earth day" about how to protect earth by planting trees, need to save energy and even "innocent stray dogs". But its amazing that how we defeat ourselves by not only daring to invade into some of the exclusive areas left for these poor animals but also scare them in their own habitat to extinction.

I know many of you will pounce upon me with various sort of statements like "if you dont like, dont join and take a walk", "others are doing, why not us", etc. But I am sorry, I am like that.

Considering that we are a bunch of well educated people with some common interests, I would request you not to make any such "rave" trips to places like reserved forests and sanctuaries. I think there are enough places left for us to see and enjoy. Follow the policy of "live and let live". Remember that this planet is not just meant for humans!
appuchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 00:38   #99
Senior - BHPian

Hey folks looks like you chaps had a great blast.

Continue invading others colonies of existence is what I can say after reading appuchans post.

LOL no offense mate .
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 00:41   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Activities like taking vehicles inside, liquor consumption, playing loud music, revving cars and polluting the air, flashing lights, scaring away wild animals etc are absolutely unpardonable in a place like that. Afaik, legally these are not even allowed in there. But then this trip looked like it was planned out that way. My initial thought that it was purely a trekking expedition.

I dont mind people going to places like Goa or some other hill stations. But this trip is completely "illegal" and cannot be tolerated by any nature lover.
I don't remember anyone revving their cars. I fail to see how liquor consumption harms any animals (except me). And just FYI, this meet was on a private farmhouse, which is 50m away from a tarred road. It's safe to assume the tarred road was made by noisy and loud machines, as was the farmhouse itself.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 00:42   #101
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Appuchan my dear friend. We mean no harm to anyone, including the wildlife. We love them, infact more than human beings and our engines and ICE.

Quote:
Activities like taking vehicles inside, liquor consumption, playing loud music, revving cars and polluting the air, flashing lights, scaring away wild animals etc are absolutely unpardonable in a place like that.
However, since its a privately owned farm with paved roads we did have all the rights to take our vehicles. Playing loud music, yes I agree its a mistake. Btw among the cars that were present 3 were diesel cars and none had engine mods on them, nor did we revv them to polute. Flashing lights was only done to see if there were any animals around, it was done as a safety precaution as we heard the dogs bark and a strong smell of dung. We in no way intended to scare the animals away. We just wanted to know if it was safe enough to sit by the fire or was it time to head into the house. Buss.

Infact, this is what we learnt at the meet. And here is the result.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...val-guide.html (Wild Animals - A survival Guide)
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 01:06   #102
BHPian

guys. guys cool down - what's going on appuchan , you did see the photos everyone was well aware of not harming Nature in the trip.

its a private farm house and they can do whatever they like!
its allrite if you feel left out! I BLAME THEM TOO! how dare you leave me alone!

see now there's two of us!

very impressive guide mclaren1885 you and harrie will be making it next month 14th rite

i wont be able to remember all that info!!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...val-guide.html (Wild Animals - A survival Guide)

Last edited by xinome : 13th June 2007 at 01:12.
xinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 01:39   #103
BHPian

great meet guys and cool pics. you sure had a blast.
take appuchan along for your next meet

@xinome, you broke the smiley rule!!
cheap_deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 02:09   #104
BHPian

Sorry mods i will take care of that next time! i dont want any infractions!
xinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2007, 09:01   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
And just FYI, this meet was on a private farmhouse, which is 50m away from a tarred road.
v1p3r & McL, Let us be sensitive to what appuchan is saying. While we did not do anything outside of the farm house itself, you could take note that the farm house is itself in elephant territory. Just because a road was constructed or a house was built, it does not give us any right to do what ever we wanted to, in the farm house area.

Also, you would have noticed on the early morning drive how dry the hills near Ooty were compared to the area we were in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Hello Condor, thanks for letting me drive. I have a feeling it will be the last time .
It can be, unless you learn to drive a diesel like a diesel. learn to have patience with the gear lever .. and the other finer naunces. . You would definitely know that every vehicle needs a different way of handling.

I also have sunglasses in the Sumo - are they yours ? I think your CD was in another car, unless you got it back from there.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote