Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 21st September 2007, 13:29   #196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Hyderabad may have improved my navigational skills but has made me a worse driver. Yesterday got my license confiscated for rash driving with a fine of 400 bucks . Time is not at all with me right now :-(
where? rash driving? no way! why were you driving below the speed limit. try the lebu lonka thingy - it will help

where did it happen? 400 bucks spot fine or through bank?
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 13:58   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
where? rash driving? no way! why were you driving below the speed limit. try the lebu lonka thingy - it will help

where did it happen? 400 bucks spot fine or through bank?
near Jadavpur P.S. have to pay through bank...
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 14:54   #198
Senior - BHPian

Sumitro, be careful when you go to retrieve your DL. The cops are "punching" DLs these days. Be prepared to shell out some money to the cop at the counter.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2007, 19:26   #199
BHPian

Quote:
If you are still in the bankruptcy mode, you could always hitch a ride with Saurabh on Sunday.
@BP: You are most welcome to join me, though you might soon get bored with my ride. I guess you already have my number.

Knowing him, I do have a feeling that we will see him on Saturday along with his ride. Bankruptcy thrown out of the window.

@Folks: Dont forget to sample the hot "singaras" at Shaktigarh. The "singara- langcha" combination is heavenly. Cant wait for the next weekend.
Saurabh M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 00:36   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
@Folks: Dont forget to sample the hot "singaras" at Shaktigarh. The "singara- langcha" combination is heavenly. Cant wait for the next weekend.
The lyangcha shops can be pretty deceptive. Some of them sell not-so-good-ones also. So if we are looking at some lyangcha stops we should find some good ones.
Last time on my way back from Asansol I had some lyangcha and kochuri which landed me in toilet for the next three days.

The shops on the highway "Lyangcha Sultan", Lyangcha Samrat" etc are fake ones. At least most of them.
XetaGLGRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 08:31   #201
Senior - BHPian

i dont wanna spend time in the loo especially when things turn out bad. so i may avoid lyangcha-mihidana & kachuri (although kachuri is my fav).

Saurabh da - BP is knowing for his comments and they have double meaning - it will be good if he can make it to the meet. More cars, more people, more fun. . i am eagerly waiting for the coming weekend.
Old 22nd September 2007, 10:59   #202
Senior - BHPian

I've bought lyangchas from one particular shop on the highway 4-5 times over the last 12 months. The sweets were consumed by self, family members and relatives. No issues at all.

But then, just to be on the safe side, we could do our lyangcha 'stop' during the return journey on Sunday.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2007, 16:34   #203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@ zappo - so when do we get to see you here in kolkata?
dekha jaak... shob jodi ttheek thaake maybe somewhere after Diwali (kaali pujo). Hope to be in Gwalior during the diwali period and will try to land up in kolkata for 5-6 days thereafter on my way back to hyderabad. Maybe will also have a look at some properties in Rajarhat area. I am dodging this one for a while now but will probably do that this time around.

How I hope this meet had been in Nov. Aha... this is going to be one heck of a fun time for you all.

Quote:
Hyderabad may have improved my navigational skills but has made me a worse driver. Yesterday got my license confiscated for rash driving with a fine of 400 bucks . Time is not at all with me right now :-(
Oh! Thats a typical hyderabadi bug. So it infected you withing 7 days of being here eh! What were you doing? Overtaking from the left or sneaking through a red signal? But 400 bucks eh? Thats tough. But do not worry. Just ensure that you do not drive a car during this trip. Get into someone's car and be a nice passenger Sometimes navigator's job can also be a lot of fun.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 02:17   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Saurabh da - BP is knowing for his comments and they have double meaning
@Planet - what is the double meaning?
Old 23rd September 2007, 08:03   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Planet - what is the double meaning?
first of all - ignore the typo error.

why double meaning? what i actually meant was - whatever you say has a hyali/hidden meaning - like when you said that you wont be able to make it to santiniketan - the hidden meaning is that you will be there somehow or the other
Old 24th September 2007, 14:11   #206
BHPian

So u r all set for the drive. Too bad I am missing all the fun this time. Hope to cover up in future meets.

Taking into account the current weather conditions I would like to suggest you to avoid night driving on Highways. I had a troublesome driving experience yesterday night only while comming back from Uttarpara via Delhi road at about 9 PM. It started to rain so heavily that visibility became almost zero even with wipers running at full speed and Head Light set to high beam. Rain was accompanied by ghastly wind. This continued for almost the next 30 mins. till I took the turn from Mumbai road towards Kona. With wifey & father in the car didn't risk to pull over somewhere temporarily and somehow got through it. But it was really bad.

So be on watch if this weather continues. Hope it doesn't.

Wishing you all a gr8 trip. Will look forward to the photos.
tathagata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 15:53   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tathagata View Post
It started to rain so heavily that visibility became almost zero even with wipers running at full speed and Head Light set to high beam.
Slightly OT, but it's better use low beam while driving through heavy rain or fog. High beam causes light to get reflected off the fog particles/rain drops which hampers the driver's vision. I'm sure most know this... just thought I'd mention it
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 20:12   #208
Senior - BHPian

@BP Can you share some details of the rash driving bit. What made those hunks think you were being rash?

I am dying to get out of here to do some "real" driving. Although have done a little bit of it here as well. But something tells me, even getting back home one has to drive like an American.

@Planet, cooking should be taught to all at the school level itself. Instead we learn things that we cant really put to use. None, absolutely none of the bengali families know how to cook kosha mangsho. NDTV only made it so worse that Domino's had to come to help.

This weekend we flew to Niagara and on the return flight we made a whole flight full of Phiringi's wait for us! But the delay was caused by "white" foolishness mostly, along with a confused GPS navigator.

Last edited by 1100D : 24th September 2007 at 20:15.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 22:37   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
@BP Can you share some details of the rash driving bit. What made those hunks think you were being rash?
I was taking the new bypass connector which goes straight to Jadavpur Police Station crossing. The left signal was open but as usual all the cars had blocked the way, so I thought of overtaking all f them from the right and then go left, but my luck - just at the mouth of the crossing a huge truck blocked my way and there was instant chaos at the junction. Seeing this a sergeant came and promptly took away my license and registered a case of rash and negligent driving. I trid to convince him him that it was due to their incapability of controlling traffic I had to take such an action , but it fell on deaf ears.
Old 24th September 2007, 23:28   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I trid to convince him him that it was due to their incapability of controlling traffic
Ha Ha!! Hilarious.

BTW did you heard the story of

"May I smoke while I pray" vs " May I pray while I smoke" question asked to the Father of a Church (edit : Church Father) ?

But the good thing is it wasn't for speeding!! Anyway my most memorable drive however did not involve speeding at any instant.

Last edited by 1100D : 24th September 2007 at 23:32.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote