Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2007, 10:54   #226
Senior - BHPian
 
planet_rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bong-land
Posts: 2,320
Thanked: 362 Times
Default

My 2 cents:

around 6PM yesterday - i tried to go to ETC's place to pay her a visit. everywhere there was water - the m800 took it very harshly. drove in 1st gear and half clutch - the battery light, brake lever light turned on and kept blinking, the head lights were blinking like strobes - i was sh*t scared - kept cursing myself for taking her out.

half way through to bhawanipore called up ETC and said that i wont be able to make it to her place but i had no clue which way to take to go back to the garage. Minto park was flooded, so went ahead and thought of taking gariahat and reach home. but that turned into a night mare as well.

gariahat (near panataloons & shuvd's house) was under knee deep water. i dunno how the m800 managed to make it back to the garage. there was knee deep water everywhere. i saw cars stalling, smoke from the hood everywhere, buses splashing water, heard fan belts slipping, one alto was literally floating like a boat through the waves and what not.

the security guard of the garage was a bit scared when he saw smoke from the engine bay.

i tried to start the car in the morning and she did start at the very first crank - opened the hood and checked if everything was ok. drove her back through the water again. :(

at the end of the day all i can say is, "I love you - M800. you held up bravely"

@ shuvc - dont worry - nothing will happen to your baby. i will pray for her - you know why. ask the MASS to do a regular service. when the water level receeds pull out the seat covers, carpets, etc otherwise she will not smell good.

@ wimwian - well take her to the MASS for a check up and ask them to do a regular service.

@ 1100D - it was great to speak to you in the morning.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 25th September 2007 at 10:56.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 10:54   #227
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 1,081
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

What will be the condition of the roads leading to our week end meet? If its iffy, I'll have to reconsider.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 11:40   #228
Senior - BHPian
 
razor4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,874
Thanked: 248 Times
Default

Sometimes I wonder what'll happen to this city. I made the VERY WISE decision to leave the Santro in the office parking lot (not the basement, which gets flooded). My father's office is in Rajarhat, so I flagged a lift in the CRV. I felt almost guilty crusing through the rivers of Kolkata while cars around struggled and stalled. Found out that the CRV can rough it out pretty well indeed.
Was thinking of hitchhiking to office today, but it seems Sector V is still inundated. So, decided to work from home. Santro's safe in the office, so no worries there.

As far as this wknd is concerned, things are looking a little bleak from many quarters. Lots of cars have been damaged/submerged yesterday, and some may not be in shape to go to S'niketan. As for me, it depends on whether I get Phoenix back before the wknd...
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 12:03   #229
Senior - BHPian
 
planet_rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bong-land
Posts: 2,320
Thanked: 362 Times
Default

lets hope all cars get well soon. i am a little worried about the silver arrow.

@ razor - even i was a bit worried - the m800 was struggling a lot through the water - the sound of fan belt slipping, the dashboard light blinking, the HLs blinking like strobes. at parkcircus one amby was very badly stcuuck - black smoke was coming out from the engine bay. i thought of helping out the guy - but he managed to drive to the side.

as for the drive - well it depends on the road conditions, the condition of the cars, etc. i wanted it to rain a bit but not like it did since sunday. lets hope everything turns out well. keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 25th September 2007 at 12:14.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 18:34   #230
Senior - BHPian
 
razor4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,874
Thanked: 248 Times
Default Postpone trip?

Guys,
After the floods many of the Team BHPians have been badly hit. shuvc's case was definitely the worst, and others like planet, Wimwian and XetaGLGRocks have also been affected. Given the swarm of flood-hit cars that will hit the workshops over the next few days, they may not even get their rides back in time for the trip. Even I have my doubts if Phoenix will be available before Saturday, since we're still struggling to complete the suspension work.
I'm sure the roads would have been hit in the aftermath of the floods as well.

So, wouldn't it be prudent to postpone the trip to another date? On the bright side, some of the other members, who couldn't make it this time, might be able to join us then.
@planet: any idea about the cancellation charges at Camellia?

Do give your inputs.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 18:50   #231
Senior - BHPian
 
planet_rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bong-land
Posts: 2,320
Thanked: 362 Times
Default

the money receipt says:

1. no money refund in case of cancellations - need to clarify again.
2. Bookings can be postponed to a further date - they should be informed 3(three) days prior to the actual date of booking, i.e. we will have to postpone it by tomorrow - 26th September.

its your call. i will call up Camellia and check with the details again. please let me know - send me a text or call me after 10pm.

Camellia can be contacted at 033-2212-2885 & 2212-1007/1009
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 19:05   #232
Senior - BHPian
 
razor4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,874
Thanked: 248 Times
Default

Not my call really. Has to be a group decision. Spoke to Wim, and he's ok with postponing it. I'm ok with it too. We'll talk later tonite.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 19:14   #233
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CCU & Kitchener
Posts: 593
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Since quite a few cars have been damaged due to flooding, I would suggest to postpone the trip. IMO, it would take a couple of weeks before the cars are ready.
Saurabh M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 19:23   #234
BHPian
 
sbasak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: CCU-LTN
Posts: 607
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
But this is exactly the reason why I love Calcutta, (what's calcutta without waterlogging?).
Brother people will chase you with bricks & bats if you say so!
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 20:41   #235
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 1,081
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

IMHO, its best to postpone the meet for a couple of weeks at least. The state of roads would be very bad (I guess) and lots of villages en route have been flood hit.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 20:58   #236
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,141
Thanked: 2,244 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
Brother people will chase you with bricks & bats if you say so!
I know!

When my Father informed me he was expecting concern from my end, instead he got a "Wow"! He freaked out!! He is thankful to God that I am not around this time!

Last time, we made a few new friends of the little-feline kind who needed help and have decided not to desert us.
1100D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 21:02   #237
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
IMHO, its best to postpone the meet for a couple of weeks at least. The state of roads would be very bad (I guess) and lots of villages en route have been flood hit.
I agree. Lets target sometime in Nov.

@planet if you speak to them ask when the crowds will be somewhat less in that month - after the pujas.

Worst case - we stand to lose 870 per head. IMHO, it's worth sacrificing that amount vis-a-vis risking our rides and ourselves in this deluge.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 21:39   #238
Senior - BHPian
 
planet_rocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bong-land
Posts: 2,320
Thanked: 362 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I agree. Lets target sometime in Nov.

@planet if you speak to them ask when the crowds will be somewhat less in that month - after the pujas.

Worst case - we stand to lose 870 per head. IMHO, it's worth sacrificing that amount vis-a-vis risking our rides and ourselves in this deluge.
i will see what i can do. when i looked at the back of the money receipt - it says the money cannot be refunded in case of cancellation.

but the only hope that remains - we can postpone the meet (like shuvc said - in November).

i will call them up and keep you guys updated.

PS: if i need to provide them with a date in November - then?? we will have to decide the date by tonight / tomorrow by 10AM.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 22:47   #239
BHPian
 
vrooooooom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 97
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Incase you guys plan to postpone the meet, how bout having a small get together. We can have it the next weekend, giving some time to all the babies to be fit, up and running.
I hope I can make it in the next one and possibly have a small surprise for everyone :-)
vrooooooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 23:18   #240
BHPian
 
Wimwian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 191
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

I have no problems with postponing it as such, but November is too far away to commit any particular date. I have no idea what the work situation will be like at that time. October is most probably out - I'm travelling on work next weekend, the next two weekends are the pujas and I might visit Raipur in the last one.

Problem hi problem!!
Wimwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kolkata - Shantiniketan - Kolkata senindra Travelogues 21 20th October 2015 01:09
Road Trip To Shantiniketan & Deul from Ranchi saket77 Travelogues 16 16th February 2013 21:55
"Kolkata - Leh - Kolkata * Interested Kolkata TBHP Members. Captdey Route / Travel Queries 17 17th May 2010 23:48
Hyd-karagpur-shantiniketan-Gangtok-Arunachal road conditions jp_in_hyd Route / Travel Queries 9 9th October 2009 20:15
Kolkata Meet - December 2007 (Now with a poll... Please indicate your choice) planet_rocker The Team-BHP Meet Section 76 31st December 2007 11:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks