Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:18   #991
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
im out for the weekends. JK NRC Round 2 happening in cbe next weekend so will be going, and we are planning one long cycling trip after that.. so sorry.. :( im seeing only july! my apologies E_L.
Madan, this could easily be in July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
^^Its been so long, I've forgotten how you look, my friend.
With all the cycling that he is doing, you really may not recognize him when you see him.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 22:09   #992
BHPian
 
yzfrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: who cares
Posts: 778
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
one long cycling trip
No comment.

@nitrous
Karting sounds like fun.

What say guys ?

OT : Anyone seen SB ?
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 12:54   #993
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,136
Thanked: 1,562 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj
Anyone seen SB ?
Lurking around here, man.

I do check out the meet thread, but since I am not here on weekends, did not see any point in posting.

vikram/john/nitrous, are the Friday night WTPTs still happening ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
How many more weekends are you gonna be like this SB ?
Hopefully not many more, John. Just waiting for some things to fall in place.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 4th June 2009 at 12:58.
supremeBaleno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 12:54   #994
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
OT : Anyone seen SB ?
Look in the Venice of the East.

How many more weekends are you gonna be like this SB ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 13:10   #995
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,136
Thanked: 1,562 Times
Default Any takers for what NatGeo says is a must do in one's lifetime ?

BTW, would you guys be interested in a meet in the backwaters of Alappuzha, spending the night in a houseboat ? It is awesome fun, if you can spare a weekend.

Driving down and back might be a pain, but I know neoranjith will be up for the challenge.

A tentative itinerary would go like this :

Fri 9:15PM : Catch the 6041 Alappuzha Exp to Kerala. // Have the WTPT in the train
Sat 10:50AM : Reach Alappuzha.
Sat 11:30AM : A short drive by auto/taxi and you are at the Tourism office, where all houseboats are berthed. Get onto the houseboat, which will be your home for the next 22 hours.
Sun 9:30AM : The houseboat drops you back at the Tourism office.

You have many options for the remaining part of Sunday :

1) Explore the city, do shopping or whatever and catch the 2624 Chennai mail from nearby Kottayam at 5:30PM to reach Chennai at 7AM on Monday.

OR

2) Catch a bus to Cochin, take in the sights of the city esp. Fort Cochin, Marine Drive etc and catch the 2624 Chennail mail from Ernakulam North station at 7:05PM to reach Chennai at 7AM on Monday.

It is surely an experience that you would relish.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 4th June 2009 at 13:12.
supremeBaleno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 13:20   #996
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
BTW, would you guys be interested in a meet in the backwaters of Alappuzha, spending the night in a houseboat ? It is awesome fun, if you can spare a weekend.

Driving down and back might be a pain, but I know neoranjith will be up for the challenge.

A tentative itinerary would go like this :

Fri 9:15PM : Catch the 6041 Alappuzha Exp to Kerala. // Have the WTPT in the train
Sat 10:50AM : Reach Alappuzha.
Sat 11:30AM : A short drive by auto/taxi and you are at the Tourism office, where all houseboats are berthed. Get onto the houseboat, which will be your home for the next 22 hours.
Sun 9:30AM : The houseboat drops you back at the Tourism office.

You have many options for the remaining part of Sunday :

1) Explore the city, do shopping or whatever and catch the 2624 Chennai mail from nearby Kottayam at 5:30PM to reach Chennai at 7AM on Monday.

OR

2) Catch a bus to Cochin, take in the sights of the city esp. Fort Cochin, Marine Drive etc and catch the 2624 Chennail mail from Ernakulam North station at 7:05PM to reach Chennai at 7AM on Monday.

It is surely an experience that you would relish.

Oh! now you have become the official brand ambassador for Kerala Tourism.

WTPT in the train ? I am sure thats not allowed or is it ?

22 hours in a boat can be quite claustrophobic.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 13:54   #997
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,136
Thanked: 1,562 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
WTPT in the train ? I am sure thats not allowed or is it ?
Well, if you go by the rule-book, it's not allowed. But book yourselves in the FirstClass closed coupes and you have all the privacy you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
22 hours in a boat can be quite claustrophobic.
Not really. On the contrary, it is quite fun. Before you know it, it is already time to disembark.

Also, the monsoons have started, which means off-season rates apply and the monsoons have a charm of their own.

Only con I see is being away from family for 3 nights. But you could bring along family too - the kids would love it.
supremeBaleno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 14:28   #998
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 433 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Well, if you go by the rule-book, it's not allowed. But book yourselves in the FirstClass closed coupes and you have all the privacy you need.
Do you still have I Class coupes in the trains ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 15:08   #999
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,136
Thanked: 1,562 Times
Default

Only on some trains, not all. The Alappuzha express has it. So does the 2695/2696 Chennai/Tvm Superfast.
supremeBaleno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 15:29   #1000
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Well, if you go by the rule-book, it's not allowed. But book yourselves in the FirstClass closed coupes and you have all the privacy you need.
I almost got myself typing my way into an infraction / warning by suggesting Coke & Sprite lookalikes. You dont need the privacy in that case.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 16:08   #1001
BHPian
 
yzfrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: who cares
Posts: 778
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Last time I got on a houseboat was like 9yrs back.
That was for half a day with my college buddies.

Its fun, can take in the sights eat various types of fishes, do some bird watching (no no not that kind, real Birds) and maybe even taste the "local" brew (well I don't know if we get the "Natural" one anymore, now its all made artificially and in that case just eat the fish).

But for the 22 hour boat trip around 27 hours on train
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 17:45   #1002
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,136
Thanked: 1,562 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj
But for the 22 hour boat trip around 27 hours on train
Or, as neoranjith would look at it - "27 hours of driving fun".
supremeBaleno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 18:09   #1003
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Or, as neoranjith would look at it - "27 hours of driving fun".
27 hours of driving is fun If we were in a performance sedan. No point beating an old lady especially a SUZUKI
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 19:23   #1004
BHPian
 
neoranjit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 588
Thanked: 191 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
27 hours of driving is fun If we were in a performance sedan. No point beating an old lady especially a SUZUKI
its fun even in a very ordinary sedan but definitely not in a Govt. Police vehicle. ( indian or russian )
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2009, 20:05   #1005
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
its fun even in a very ordinary sedan but definitely not in a Govt. Police vehicle. ( indian or russian )
I couldnt agree better with you on that one.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kolkata: Impromptu Team-BHP Meets planet_rocker The Team-BHP Meet Section 82 18th February 2016 20:18
Team-BHP meets at Thrissur foby.sebastian The Team-BHP Meet Section 119 11th February 2011 00:00
Team BHP meets-- Bangalore Godfather The Team-BHP Meet Section 54 24th March 2006 19:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks