Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 22nd April 2008, 14:00   #76
Senior - BHPian

Updating on behalf of Nikunj:

1. Razor (Abhishek) & Phoenix
2. Polished Dome & BlackPearl
3. Ronk
4. NOS Power
5. Planet & ETC & Red Sonja
6. toiingg
7. Nikunj & wifey
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:47   #77
BHPian

Things have been a little crazy recently, so I'll do a shuvc here.

3. Ronk
4. NOS Power
6. toiingg
7. Nikunj & wifey
8. Wimwian (50:50)
Wimwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:48   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
Things have been a little crazy recently, so I'll do a shuvc here.
And shuvc raises the bar

3. Ronk
4. NOS Power
6. toiingg
7. Nikunj & wifey
8. Wimwian (50:50)
9. Shuvc (20:80) - the first indicates chances of joining.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 23:15   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
So what's the verdict? When is this happening, and where are we going?
Is everyone ok with the 2nd weekend of May (10th/11th)?
And the destination - Massenjore or Shankarpur?
Massenjore might not be the best option since it will be very hot, and there isn't much to do over there. Plus, it's a pretty long journey - not advisable for a day trip. Roads are great for driving, and that is something we can plan for on a later date, maybe when it's cooler.

That leaves Shankarpur. It will be roughly a 3 hour journey I think, and we should plan to leave a bit early, and return to Cal by late evening. BP was mentioning some potential congested roads on the way back if we don't leave from Shankarpur by early evening.

So are we ok with Shankarpur? I believe the date in question is 11th May.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 00:05   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Massenjore might not be the best option since it will be very hot, and there isn't much to do over there. Plus, it's a pretty long journey - not advisable for a day trip. Roads are great for driving, and that is something we can plan for on a later date, maybe when it's cooler.

That leaves Shankarpur. It will be roughly a 3 hour journey I think, and we should plan to leave a bit early, and return to Cal by late evening. BP was mentioning some potential congested roads on the way back if we don't leave from Shankarpur by early evening.

So are we ok with Shankarpur? I believe the date in question is 11th May.
Shankarpur will be much better option as there will be families as well and as discussed Messanjore will be pretty hectic for a day trip. About Shankarpur, most of us have gone there but still I would like to mention is that we should start the return journey in the afternoon. The road from Digha to Nandakumar is pretty dangerous in the twilight as there are a lot of villagers. I have done this stretch many times but I hate this stretch in the evenings and avoid it by all means. So please try to plan accordingly.
BlackPearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 00:10   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The road from Digha to Nandakumar is pretty dangerous in the twilight as there are a lot of villagers. I have done this stretch many times but I hate this stretch in the evenings and avoid it by all means. So please try to plan accordingly.
Absolutely true. By 5 one should be at Kolaghat, otherwise drive dead slow at each hamlet. What gets disturbing are those Cycle Rickshaw vans and the cycles trying to overtake them. But Sankarpur is going to be very very hot at that time. Especially if you dont have the option of getting back to comfortable interiors of some hotel.

Last edited by 1100D : 24th April 2008 at 00:11.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 00:35   #82
Senior - BHPian

Eet eej becoj of thees heeet that I suggested going somewhere nearby and stay overnight for some lazeee adda.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 01:41   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Eet eej becoj of thees heeet that I suggested going somewhere nearby and stay overnight for some lazeee adda.
please suggest a place nearby where one can spend overnight.. the nearest ones that I can think of are Digha/Shankarpur on one side and Shantiniketan on the other... Mukutmanipur is an option but it is also 300 Kms away

Last edited by BlackPearl : 24th April 2008 at 01:43.
Old 24th April 2008, 02:23   #84
adc
Senior - BHPian

Some 3 weeks back went to Kendugari/Hatibari, very good/remote place to be but not that far also. Around 240 km, of which 210 km is super smooth NH6. Turn off to Gopiballavpur from Feko ghat - roads are good even the morram roads are without any undulations any car can make it. This can be done as a one day journey with an obvious halt at Kolaghat.

Otherwise not going the whole distance, a pit stop can be made at Balivasha Forest Rest House on NH6 itself. Best for a night stay to explore these areas would be to stay at Garh Salboni, but the temperatures now are sapping.

But the realistic journey could be to Gadiara, 100 km from Kolkata on the river bank. The WBTDC resort is there -neat and clean. Roads are good.

With panchayat elections coming most rural roads are okay to good.

Some Kendugari pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata Meet - May 2008-picture-203i.jpg  

Kolkata Meet - May 2008-picture-202i.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by adc : 24th April 2008 at 02:34.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 10:47   #85
Senior - BHPian

Dont go anywhere! Lets have a Team-bhp telecon instead.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 11:59   #86
Senior - BHPian

@ ADC - fantastic pics - sounds and looks really good. will you please join us?

@ guys - come on - where are we going for the drive?

@ mods - please add a poll - options: 1. Mandarmuni 2. Shankarpur 3. Kendubari/Hatibari 4. Gadiara

@ shuvc (Ninja & Kito) - dont worry - i will make your life h3ll if you dont come along with us

i am game for 10th/11th May

my 2 paisa:

Date: 11th May 2008
Gather at: IOC Bunk (near Arsalan / AJC Bose rd Flyover / VIP Rd - in front of Haldiram's)
Drive to: Gadiara / Hathibari / Shankarpur / Mandarmuni

Hope to see you guys soon

Last edited by planet_rocker : 24th April 2008 at 12:07.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 12:15   #87
BHPian

How about Bakkhali/FrazerGunj and henry Island. wonderful place.
My last trip to Bakkhali
thebagchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 12:19   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

lets have a poll regarding the place with the above mentioned options. Otherwise this thread is not going anywhere...
I am more inclined towards Kendubari/Hatibari or Gadiara as it will be a new place for me. Mandarmuni is out of question for me

Last edited by BlackPearl : 24th April 2008 at 12:24.
Old 24th April 2008, 13:01   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I am more inclined towards Kendubari/Hatibari or Gadiara as it will be a new place for me.
where is kendubari/Hatibari
thebagchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 17:14   #90
adc
Senior - BHPian

Most preferably for a day ride will be Gadiara, getting off from NH6 at Bagnan.

Gadiara is around 100-120 km from Kolkata by Rupnarayan River. The WBTDC Lodge is situated right on the river bank. This journey will take around 2.5 hours. The journey is sedate and less travelled by us. Opposite banks of Gadiara is Nurpur and Geokhali.

Sankarpur/Mandarmoni - Known road, will take at least 3.5 hours taken from starting time. Digha road is not that empty nowadays at any time of the day, of course worse at around 8-10 am and worst after 6 pm.

For both Gadiara and Digha Road it will be better to be back on the NH6 by 5 pm as the evening village/rural traffic starts at that time. However, for Gadiara it will take less time to be back on the NH6.

For Henry Island it is via Diamond Harbour Road which is congested in places, for a four wheeler majority of the road plus ferry crossing is there, which again for 4-wheelers it is time consuming. Though Henry Island is a really nice place. Definitely a shot for the monsoons.

Kendugari/Hatibari off NH6 at Feko Ghat: Around 240-300 km, but mostly on NH6 and then on empty village roads. Real speeds can be achieved, this journey will be a driver's road. It will take the same 3-3.5 hours as Sankarpur but the average speed will be surely above 80 kmph. While coming back also did some driving on the concrete Balasore Road off Kharaghpur for the sure fun of driving. With a night stay at Garh Salboni, definitely these areas can be more explored.

Otherwise if all of us are willing to drive and drive hard, it can be done in a day - the drive will be fun, fast and furious.

Whatever it be, temperatures will be high, even with AC as most probably while going sun light will be coming through the windscreen.

As such for all sense and purpose looks like Gadiara remains the perfect one now - reasonable distance, less stress considering the high sun, highway+village roads, and not much hassle about food and the place to take a break [WBTDC].

Definitely I will join whatever the place it may be, of course very less inclined to Sankarpur or Mandarmani. Night stay looks remote to me.

Last edited by adc : 24th April 2008 at 17:29.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote