Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Closed Thread

Old 30th May 2008, 17:43   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I have the numbers of most of the people. New members please PM me.
Especially the out of state guests.
@patchyboy- can you manage to reach cochin on the evening of the 13th. The DRIVE will/should set off early morning on the 14th
I have PMed my number to you. I was planning on driving from B'Lore directly to the destination to meet up with you guys and then driving back to B'Lore the next day. Cannot make it to Cochin on 13th. No Leave .

Let me know if this plan is OK.

Cheers,
Rajan
Old 30th May 2008, 18:08   #107
Senior - BHPian

Yes guys,i am sorry as i was tied up in hospital duties.Zak thats the route ,I wanted to come with family but she is carrying.So forced bachelor state for me.
ram
Old 30th May 2008, 18:15   #108
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

ripper my dear - lets stick to ONE plan. We wont have a plan B - if the default plan has two options we will not have a cohesive group. There will be too much confusion with different groups forming based on when or where they want to break off - this is not the best way to plan a group outing. We cannot have different plans in mind.

There are plenty of one-day or half day or mini meets happening throughout the year. I do not think an overnight trip once a year is unreasonable - there is no pressure on people to join in, but once you've thrown your hat in there cannot be any ambiguity about the plans.
@steeroid
there is still only ONE plan
i.e, staying overnight at kuttikanam and travelling to vagamon the next day.

what I'm saying is, let the people who want to do a day trip join us till kuttikanam. they can leave in the evening if and when they get fed up.

the others can stay back and have fun.no one loses out.

for eg- what if I decide to leave on 14th evening? who's stopping me? its personal choice. like smoking and drinking.

we dont have to make any new plans for the people joining us for a day trip- thats all I'm saying.

who knows, if we have enough fun on the 1st day- there may be people who change their minds and stay back.

also- this isnt a labour convoy to siberia- its a pleasure trip.
we hop on and hop off. the group's plan will stay solid irrespective of who stays or who leaves. but it should also have enough flexibility to allow individual decisions.

agreed its not unreasonable to have an overnighter once a year, but the week after that is possibly the coimby mega meet and that has to be an overnighter.

EDIT-I had written munnar instead of vagamon in the underlined sentence

Last edited by rippergeo : 30th May 2008 at 18:23.
Old 30th May 2008, 18:28   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Jokes apart, this time I'm coming in a rear wheel drive diesel.
best choice for the hills! I'll have to make do with a frontWD diesel. let me see if I can shanghai my brother into joining us. he has a nice RWD diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Err... what happened to Hydra?? He seems to have completely underground!!
I'm sure he's watching the thread, but keeping quiet.come out! come out wherever you are!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
We are starting at 0630 from wyte fort, correct?
yes that is the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
I have PMed my number to you. I was planning on driving from B'Lore directly to the destination to meet up with you guys and then driving back to B'Lore the next day. Cannot make it to Cochin on 13th. No Leave .

Let me know if this plan is OK.

Cheers,
Rajan
@rajan- IMO you have 2 options,join us by evening at kuttikanam(tough drive,all the way from blore) or rest in cochin that evening and join us at kuttikanam early morning on the 15th before we set off towards vagamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Yes guys,i am sorry as i was tied up in hospital duties.Zak thats the route ,I wanted to come with family but she is carrying.So forced bachelor state for me.
ram
similar case with me. I'll be a bachelor too.

@srijit- dont worry about the ride- there are plenty of cars to choose from.
Old 30th May 2008, 22:29   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Anthony - you bringing your car(s) ? Is it the old faithful Esteem or the Honda-dumping Baleno?
Lemme try my hands on the old car this time...I hope it does the duty.
Old 31st May 2008, 07:54   #111
BHPian

Quote:
@rajan- IMO you have 2 options,join us by evening at kuttikanam(tough drive,all the way from blore) or rest in cochin that evening and join us at kuttikanam early morning on the 15th before we set off towards vagamon
Thanks Bro. This is my plan:

Start from Bangalore at 4.00 AM. Proposed route:

B'Lore - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar - Sathyamangalam - Coimbatore - Pollachi - Udumalaipettai - Munnar.

I am not able to locate Kuttikanam on the map:
MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go!

I guess it is close to Elapara, based on the route you guys have posted. Can you please help me with the route from Munnar? Should I take the road via Santhanpara - Kattapanna - Periyar?

Quote:
(tough drive,all the way from blore)
Thats the whole idea, isn't it?

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 31st May 2008, 09:00   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bro. B'Lore - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar - Sathyamangalam - Coimbatore - Pollachi - Udumalaipettai - Munnar.

MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go!

I guess it is close to Elapara, based on the route you guys have posted. Can you please help me with the route from Munnar? Should I take the road via Santhanpara - Kattapanna - Periyar?

Thats the whole idea, isn't it?

Cheers,

Rajan
Kuttikanam is on the Kumili/Thekkady-Vandiperiyar-Peeremede-Kanjirapalli-Kottayam road.

From Munnar, you should come on the Thekkady road and come via Kaapana (explained in earlier mails) to reach Kuttikanam. The journey time from Munnar should be 3-4 hours.
Old 31st May 2008, 12:32   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bro. This is my plan:

Start from Bangalore at 4.00 AM. Proposed route:

B'Lore - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar - Sathyamangalam - Coimbatore - Pollachi - Udumalaipettai - Munnar.

You have two choices.. You can either join the convoy in Munnar - or come directly to Kuttikanam

TO reach Munnar is most likely going to take you at least 8 hours from Blr - Best case.. more like 9.

The other alternative is to proceed from Salem to > Namakkal>Karur>Didigul> Theni> Cumbum> Kumily/Thekkadi> Kuttikanam. This will also take you the same time! But you'll get there much faster! - and you can save the Munnar to Kuttikanam distance/drive as well.

I know the point is the DRIVE itself - but what might be of essense is the time taken from Blr - IF you leave Blr at 4am you will reach Munnar only by noon. - where as those who leave Cok by 6 would have reached by 10 - subject to (bottomless) Pit-Stops
Old 31st May 2008, 13:02   #114
BANNED

For all those who haven't yet figured out, Munnar is not part of our drive.

Please refer to the final route plan earlier posted by me.
Old 31st May 2008, 13:19   #115
Senior - BHPian

One more word of caution.Dont plan any drive after 4:30-5 pm.Fogg doesnt come with a warning guys and it would be too tough too.So any one planning to join on the way please plan accordingly.

ram
Old 31st May 2008, 13:19   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok.

Thanks to all for showing good enthusiasm and support.

Let me do the honours of revealing the final itenary and route.

Day 1
Vytilla - Muvattupuzha - Todupuzha - Topstation - Kulamavu - Painavu - Cheruthoni - Kattappana - Elappara - Kuttikkanam.
Accommodation is being arranged at a Tea garden estate in Kuttikkanam.

Day 2
Kuttikkanam - Vagamon - Todupuzha - Muvattupuzha - Vytilla.

As said earlier, we'll have lots of good winding drives first day and less on day 2.

I'm currently sorting out the best places to take breaks in between the route.
Patchyboy - then meeting us at Kuttikanam will be the best option.

From the looks of it we are going to all over the mountains - coordinating to meet will extrememly difficult.

Please take the address & contact details of the Tea Garden @ kuttikaanam and meet us there.

EVERYONE - Pls note that ONLY BSNL has mobile coverage in these hills. So those with BSNL Numbers please share it with everyone - so that everyone one will have some number to call on. Ideally each car should have one working phone at least - but dont know if that's workable.
Old 31st May 2008, 13:57   #117
BANNED

Quote:
EVERYONE - Pls note that ONLY BSNL has mobile coverage in these hills.
Sorry! That's wrong information.
IDEA is the best when it comes to coverage in those areas. Meaning, anybody with a roaming connection will have a working phone.
Airtel is not that great in coverage there. Hutch is also in the same level but a bit better in some areas. Bsnl comes in between, has weak networks in many areas.
Old 31st May 2008, 14:40   #118

Quote:
IDEA is the best when it comes to coverage in those areas. Meaning, anybody with a roaming connection will have a working phone.
Airtel is not that great in coverage there. Hutch is also in the same level but a bit better in some areas. Bsnl comes in between, has weak networks in many areas.

I can second that. BSNL has very patchy coverage. anyways, no need to panic about about mobile networks. we are all going to be in convoy.
Old 31st May 2008, 15:05   #119
Senior - BHPian

Oh boy ,this would be one Wonderfull trip for sure and going to turn out to be a great miss if anybody here misses it,lol.
ram
Old 31st May 2008, 15:27   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Brilliant.. I stand corrected - You should know!!

My info was from the last time I went there - about two years back.
Closed Thread