Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 30th March 2009, 18:22   #91
Senior - BHPian

Phew! good one jyothi but I hope this doesnt work out to be wrong timing as the chennai and b'lore folks are planning for something!!! Last time this mid-way meet was postponed indefinitely and one of the reasons was interstate-meet at Yercaud.

Some of you might remember, I was referring to an island near Humpi. I doubt its an island but supposedly out of this world place. Infact it is a mountain sought of this which is sorrounded by Tungabadra River. It is known as "virupapur gaddi" . Thisplace as mentioned by few bikers who went there in December as "Mini Goa".
Name:  locmap23.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  132.0 KB

here is a link of that place:
Virupapur Gadde

This place is frequented by foriegners(mainly isrealies) and hence there are quite a good number of options for food and accomodation. But we should be carefull here as some of the hotels are not accessible to Indians.

Some reviews on the hotels there:
Hampi Hotels, Hostels and Accommodation - Lonely Planet Hotels & Hostels

Humpi would be a lovely place but it will be hot out there during summer.

(source: Bouldering in Hampi)
Quote:
Hampi is hot and dry. I mean the summer temperature can go past the mark - 40C ( 104 F ). Summer pickups momentum from February onwards. March to June is really hot.
You can see April and May is the peak in temperatures.
Name:  Climate202.jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  27.3 KB

Interestingly, the night temperatures are good. If we plan our trip in such a way that we reach Humpi by Saturday evening and plan for the stay for the night at Virupapur Gaddi and start back before 11:00AM on sunday morning we can avoid the heat during the stay and we can pull off this meet during a week-end.

There is a problem here. There is no direct connectivity from Humpi to Virupapur Gaddi, we have to take a boat to cross the Tungabadra river or do a de-tour of around 25-30KM as you can notice in the above picture it is surrounded by water on three sides.

I will try to get some more information on this. Also if any of you have any information on this please add. hvkumar any inputs from you??

Raj.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 30th March 2009 at 18:24.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 19:17   #92
Senior - BHPian

I Did Hyderabad - Hampi on 26th Jan. The place does have cheap hotel (200-500 per night) but you need to book early.Food options are there as well.Place to stay is Hampi Bazar and not Virupapur Gaddi. Nearest major town is Gangawati. Even Tungabhadra is very close for the dip. Will write a detailed report later.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 23:02   #93
Senior - BHPian

Never been there - only to Hampi town. I also read that you have to take a boat across to Virupapur Gadde. But the coracle takes only bicycles and mobikes, not cars.

Incidentally, Nav Brindavan is also one of the islets (or same islet) in the same area, which is well-known for Raghavendra ji disciples.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 08:23   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
but I hope this doesnt work out to be wrong timing as the chennai and b'lore folks are planning for something!!! Last time this mid-way meet was postponed indefinitely and one of the reasons was interstate-meet at Yercaud.
As far as I know, there is only one plan now for these 2 locaiton - Track day on 5th Apr.

So, I think it should be ok. Just make sure the place is less hotter than Chennai, so Chennai annachis dont feel good at home

The location you mentioned is interesting. I just spoke with Abhi. He was also suggessting the Belgau caves which we discussed months back.

Why dont we come up with a poll, or list of places and then decide on actual venue?

For now

1. Belgau Caves
2. Hampi - virupapur gaddi
3. Any others?
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 08:32   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
The location you mentioned is interesting. I just spoke with Abhi. He was also suggessting the Belgau caves which we discussed months back.
Mahesh, it is Belum caves. My only concern here is good place to stay. I think we need to find an acco in Anantapur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjothi

1. Belum Caves
2. Hampi - virupapur gaddi
3. Any others?
I can also add Horseley Hills. I know it is longer for Hyd guys but Punnami Resort is wonderful to host a bigger gathering.

Other possible options:
4) Bijaupur / Gulbarga / Aihole (but these places bake in Apr/May)
5) Beach Resort near Chirala (distances are longer for both Hyd and Blr, hence need to take a day or two more leaves)
6) Mahabaleshwar, Ganapatipule (same problem as 5, need more leaves)

I feel good options are available only when you are prepared for very long drives.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 08:50   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
5) Beach Resort near Chirala (distances are longer for both Hyd and Blr, hence need to take a day or two more leaves)
While finding a midway distance between HYD-BLR-MAS I thought of Chirala. There are two beaches in the 20 km range, one called the Suryalanka Beach (You get Chennai FM also here) and the other called Vodarevu. Travelogues for both the places are available on the forum.
Old 31st March 2009, 08:56   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
There are two beaches in the 20 km range, one called the Suryalanka Beach (You get Chennai FM also here) and the other called Vodarevu. Travelogues for both the places are available on the forum.
Suryalanka would be way off the mark for Bangalore guys. Lets forget about the weather for a moment as whatever be the place, we are going to remain indoors and we just have to ensure we get AC rooms.

So how does Bijapur/Belum Caves sound?

How far is Belum caves from Hyderabad?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 13:46   #98
BHPian

This meet has been talked about since July 2008.

Looks like we will have to wait for NHAI.

As of now I really wish a Volvo ride HYD-BLR. Guys pls share experiences.
btirthankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 14:22   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
T

As of now I really wish a Volvo ride HYD-BLR. Guys pls share experiences.
Which one? The B7R DI or B7R CRDI or even better, the B9R
Old 31st March 2009, 15:52   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
mobike008 : So how does Bijapur .. sound?
What's with Bijapur ? Not Gol Gumbaz, I hope.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 16:51   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Suryalanka would be way off the mark for Bangalore guys. Lets forget about the weather for a moment as whatever be the place, we are going to remain indoors and we just have to ensure we get AC rooms.

So how does Bijapur/Belum Caves sound?

How far is Belum caves from Hyderabad?
Just got back from Chirala yesterday - to say that it was hot would be a massive understatement - the night was pleasant though. AC's are common but power cuts even commoner!

The only problem with both Suryalanka & Chirala is that accommodation facilities are very, very limited so a large number of people may not be able to get acco.
amip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 17:04   #102
BHPian

Hampi is ideal for both B'lore and Hyd folks alike, travelled to Hampi last November during Diwali, roads are fantastic from hyderabad except the last 30 Odd Kms. From what I have heard from guys driving to Hampi from b'lore, they could make it in about 7 hours.

Lots of options to stay in Hampi, food is not a problem. But accomodation and service will be a problem everywhere, indians are not treated on par with foreigners. Weather is going to be merciless since it will be upwards of 41C in Hampi.

Any info you need on Hampi please let me know.

P.S. Hospet is where I was born in and spent my early childhood, spent rest of life in Bangalore and now I am in Hyd.
downsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 17:57   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
What's with Bijapur ? Not Gol Gumbaz, I hope.
The drive from hyderabad to bijapur is awesome. I am coming just for that
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 18:38   #104
BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
The drive from hyderabad to bijapur is awesome. I am coming just for that
Me Too!! Me Too!!

Any drive meet to Bijapur and I am in..any date also.
zen91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 18:52   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post
Me Too!! Me Too!!

Any drive meet to Bijapur and I am in..any date also.
Sirji has woken up finally