Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 20th July 2008, 20:48   #1
BHPian

Default MMST Track day 20/07/2008

Pay and Practice session at MMSC Chennai (20th June 2008) - Report

We were there at the track sharp at 1.30PM and it was only me, Nitrous and Headers to start with. Nitrous and Headers went out to the track and were trying to beat each other. (Vikram would continue on the track experiences where he beat the esteem including the part where he had to hand signal nitrous to stop at a curve)

Then we had Rahulcool(Palio Sport) with his friends, Fiery_enzyme(M800) , Mandeep & Vinod Mathew(NHC) , PJSpeed (RS) joining us.

PJSpeed's RS is about 3 years old but an immaculately well maintained RS . You should have heard the turbo whistling in his RS, it was awesome.

End of the day it was all fun and a fantastic day at the track.

We then proceeded to Radha regent/park inn to watch the F1 and had a great time there too.
Attached Thumbnails
MMST Track day 20/07/2008-dscn2277.jpg  

MMST Track day 20/07/2008-dscn2279.jpg  

MMST Track day 20/07/2008-dscn2299.jpg  

MMST Track day 20/07/2008-dscn2303.jpg  

MMST Track day 20/07/2008-dscn2311.jpg  

MMST Track day 20/07/2008-dscn2312.jpg  

Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 21:21   #2
BHPian

Cool...!
Nitrous sir had pm'd earlier and told I can join in and watch the action this time around

Good to hear you guys enjoyed.
Anyways hope I can join in next time.
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 22:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Awesome!!! Damn, looks like I missed out on a lot!!

Waiting for detailed report from Vikram saar and Mahendra.

The esteem is stock, or 'special'?

Hope there is one next weekend.....
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 07:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

the esteem was special - Nitrous was driving it.! Will post a little later..
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 08:23   #5
BHPian

Vikram,

I had to change the title on request from nitrous to avoid people giving sermons.

Some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
MMST Track day 20/07/2008-dscn2274.jpg  

MMST Track day 20/07/2008-dscn2287.jpg  

MMST Track day 20/07/2008-dscn2288.jpg  

MMST Track day 20/07/2008-dscn2293.jpg  

MMST Track day 20/07/2008-dscn2298.jpg  

MMST Track day 20/07/2008-dscn2313.jpg  

Old 21st July 2008, 11:41   #6
BHPian

This may be the magic/stupid/inevitable question

When is the next one ?
I really, really wanna come...

Don't worry Nirtous sir I'll watch and learn first
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 11:48   #7
BHPian

Think i have missed the fun, I'll join surely next time!
lancer&shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 19:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys, IS there seriously a pay and practise session for us guys next weekend?

Madan80, What say?
Old 21st July 2008, 20:52   #9
BHPian

Thanks, M_S for posting the report and the pictures.
fiery enzyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2008, 21:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
Thanks, M_S for posting the report and the pictures.
You are welcome. To be honest my report didn't cover enough details of the session. I expect Vikram and Mahendra to provide a more detailed report. Why don't you write a report on your stock M800 on track Bala?
Old 22nd July 2008, 00:31   #11
BHPian

Sure, I would like to post about the 800. I will post more later.
fiery enzyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 08:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yahoo, The M800 was fun, first went shotgun with bala aka fiery enzyme. He did pretty well but for some corners. Then had the opportunity to show him the braking points and the lines..[a little of what i knew]. The M800 was very similar to my gypsy king - read that as : Underpowered, top speed of 100 or 110, bad braking etc.

Sorry bala for posting about your car.

Also, rode shotgun with extremeshock [mandeep] in his NHC VTEC - just 1 lap. He was doing pretty well for a first timer, but as understandable, messed up in some corners and the braking points.

The highlight of the event was when Nitrous stopped suddenly claiming brakes failure. I requested him to check it out again, we opened the bonnet, figured out that there was enough brake fluid etc etc, no leaks anywhere. I took the wheel - alone and went on a brake test lap.

The esteem running custom filter, custom rpm meter with shift light etc was good fun under acceleration reaching upto 110 or so in 2nd gear.

The brakes IMO were too sensitive and so was the steering. It dawned upon to me that this car has power steering and servo assisted power brakes. Exiting pitlane touched C2, braked too fast, steered too sharp etc.

Reorganised myself at C3 and accelarated away to glory to touch C4 at 120, again braked and slowed down too fast before the corner.

It is at that moment that i realised something was wrong with the car suspension setup.

While accelerating on corners, the vehicle weight shifts and the soft or rather ultra soft suspension had some effect on the steering wheel.

Held 2nd gear through the back curves and made it back to pits requesting nitrous to sit with me.

A little apprehension in mind "neenga slowa poonga", he strapped his helmet got into his car and belted himself. Thats when I realised I had not even seat belted.

Took the car for a couple of more laps to ensure braking performance was satisfactory and gave the wheel to nitrous. Also, there were a couple of corners where he was messing up and showed him the lines there. Though he maybe disagrees with me there, it does not matter to have a different POV.

Now coming to my gypsy's performance on track:

My gypsy king 1.3 carb running my old 215/75 R15 partially worn [read slick] offroad tyres was the setup for the day.

I've been having fueling issues with the vehicle since the past two months and have not had time to set it right.

Now was the time to check up the vehicle and push push.

When Mission_safari, nitrous and I reached the track, it was around 13:30 hrs and there were a bunch of lunatics racing in the pitlane with their bikes.

The track incharge Mr. Loganathan, claimed that we could NOT go on the track as we had NO ROLL CAGE.

I was furious at my dear friend Nitrous for whom I had sacrificed my Sunday afternoon siesta.

Then the hero made some phone calls to the whos who in town, claimed he was so and so and yippie, we could go on track!

Out went nitrous in his custom esteem while i was having my sandwich [read lunch - courtesy nitrous].

After a minute or so, decided to get on track in my gypsy.

Firstly, the gypsy is not a vehicle designed to go fast or on track. The gear ratios are more suited for sand bashing and mild offroad. There was a top speed limitation of around 110 or so.

Bearing all this in mind, slowly stepped out on the track. The fuel problem seemingly non existant. Went down c3, c4, c5 etc, the back curves, the back straight, etc to come up to the main straight.

I was expecting nitrous to zoom past me somewhere in his car. Lap1, Lap2 thats when I spotted him i the other side of the track while I was exiting C3.

Thought to myself that maybe i could manage to catch up with him. I realise very well that the esteem is a far more powerful car than my 4wd and just managed to slowly inch my pace.

The car seemingly handled well and the so called fueling issues seem to have disappeared.

Pushing the gypsy to glory did C1 at 110, managed to hold the speed there and my overconfidence made me take c2 too at a higher speed than required.

Missed my braking point and had to brake while in the turn - I knew i was loosing it and the car beautifully did C2 and further, kept turning

Did a complete 360 or more to face the direction of c3 midway in the track after taking c2. The car did not stall.

I was surprised at myself for having gone into a silly spin and having controlled it without any mishap.

OK, all well, so started again turned to car after a couple of reverses, and went chasing Nitrous, who i thought must catch me by now - had lost a good 30 odd seconds in the spin.

The day was sunny and the track temperature must have been around 40 deg C. The vehicle was impeccable and was trying to catch up with my friend inch by inch.

Noticed that our man was very slow in the corners. and i could easily catch up with him in the next lap or so. I dont know whether he too went into a spin.

But on Lap 4 or so, i was at his tail. The esteem would out accelerate me out of the corners, but come the back curves C4 to C9 and the gypsy was at the tail again.

The moment I had been waiting for finally arrived at c10, c11. His racing line was different than mine.

Took the esteem fair and square through C11 and C12 and now back on the main straight - I knew the esteem with its raw power could pose a dangerous threat on the straight line.

Managed 110 on the straight glancing at my RVM. There is this menacingly fast white car appearing on my right becoming bigger in my RVM.

I had to take my turn C1 - Literally waved him down putting my hand out else i would have to miss my braking / turning point / racing line.

We raced happily for some more laps before we pitted again.

We were then joined by Rahulkool and friends in his red palio, Extremeshock and vinod in his NHC VTEC and the star of the show was a custom Skoda RS from PJSPEED.

The guys who missed the action, welcome again and we could have more fun.

Cheers
Vikram
Old 22nd July 2008, 10:11   #13
BHPian

Hi guys, great report. The pay & practice sessions are great, although a tad on the expensive side if you hit the tracks quite often. A couple of questions, is a roll-cage mandatory for P&P (they weren't the last time I was there). Second, does a MMSC membership entail a discount for these P&P sessions ?

Thanks everyone, great report !

P.S. - What were the approximate times being set by the Esteem, the Gypsy, the 800, & the RS ?
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 10:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

wow! looks like you guys did have fun!
so - nitous - classified huh!
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 10:21   #15
BHPian

nice first hand experience. Well written. Yeah, how did you fare with the RS. what times did the RS clock ?
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote