Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

View Poll Results: What would you like to do @ Grips?
I shall just try go-karting for fun! 11 42.31%
I shall take part in the competition. 15 57.69%
Go karting is not my cup of tea,I shall be a spectator and click snaps instead. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th August 2008, 17:19   #16
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Go Karts will always favour the driver who is light in weight
Not necessarily my friend, power to weight ratio...yes i agree but then carts would handle better with a little more weight, i mean they wont be sliding all over, plus you fit well into the seats and you wont worry about moving around in the seat while taking turns .
If you're overweight then yes you would be slower, isn't that so Akshay ?

Renting out the track, we can have P&P sessions but then isn't it raining there ?

@ Rahul : Dude 1L+ is a lot of money. Think twice before going ahead, what if the turn out is not much ?
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2008, 23:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Why ask me? Mcl is the one you should ask!

Dude, I think 1l is not happening. It's going to work out to about 4k, and I would rather drive to Chennai and hit the track for that kind of money.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 02:10   #18
BHPian

Hi!

A little more weight yes! but what do u say for members who are over 80kg's.

On the contrary! It will be morefun when the track is wet! you know, perfect breaking points, a little skid here n there! and yeah! a little "g" forces are always welcome.

The carts at Grips are good but some of them are not great handlers!

Agreed! that some of us will do the ocassional drift!(to bad, no rear wheel drives for us!) But then I guess we all know, it ain't the fastest way round!

According to me the best is doing the real stuff! We can always play video games and go do some go karting!

If we are thinking of organising of something of this magnitude! (1L), Then why not do the real thing!

The ultimate test of the driver and car!

@Binz! Why would it be unfair! I am not asking all the cars to lineup together and then start!

We can do the lineup according to the power to weight ratio or categorise the cars according to the mods! Like for eg. the way Best Motoring does!

Think about other members like Shantanu (sorry for taking your example my friend), the 6footer wont fit properly, even if he does, his long legs (in the "V" shape formation! u get my drift!)will create super duper drag and yeah the poor little engine will be cursing him for having laden it with over 90kgs.. the go kart would turn into a "go nowhere" Kart!

Cheers,
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Not necessarily my friend, power to weight ratio...yes i agree but then carts would handle better with a little more weight, i mean they wont be sliding all over, plus you fit well into the seats and you wont worry about moving around in the seat while taking turns .

Renting out the track, we can have P&P sessions but then isn't it raining there ?

@ Rahul : Dude 1L+ is a lot of money. Think twice before going ahead, what if the turn out is not much ?
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 02:12   #19
BHPian

Aah!

v1p3r bhai! sahi bola!

Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Dude, I think 1l is not happening. It's going to work out to about 4k, and I would rather drive to Chennai and hit the track for that kind of money.
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 02:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

This 1lakh scene to rent out the track for a whole day is not happening

Ive spoken to the guys at torq03,they said we can have the track to ourselves for 3 hours on sunday ,between 10 and 1.They would charge us for the number of laps done only.

He said he would give us four 7.5bhp karts,four 10 bhp karts,two 13bhp karts and 2 15bhp karts.
Timing inclusive and he has given me his word that all karts within their respective categories would be equally matched and in top shape.We could also have them set up the way we like wrt tire pressures and simple stuff.
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 02:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

This sounds interesting. Will they have functioning timing equipment?

Last edited by v1p3r : 15th August 2008 at 02:26.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2008, 02:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the end of this month definately.The equipment has all come down,then they realise the cable was too short.So they are waiting on that.

Last edited by binz : 15th August 2008 at 02:37.
Old 15th August 2008, 17:56   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Jay, I just mentioned what the owner wanted to rent the place out for a day.

But as I mentioned, all those interested in taking part in this competition shall have to buy tickets in bulk as per the number of laps we decide to do. For eg, for the qualification race it will cost a person around 300 rs, subsequently around 600 if you qualify for the final round. We will just be buying tickets like any other ordinary person would, but run it with our own rules. In the end anyone who qualifies for the finals will be paying approximately 1-1.2k which would give him as many laps as he would get if he went as an individual and were to buy tickets.

I spoke to the Torque dude, and gave him some reference points. He said he will get back to me on it. Will provide further updates once I get in touch with him. If he can provide us with all the requirements we can/might shift the base to Torque.

@ Shrey: honestly, given the fact that none of us are thoroughbred professional racers (with most of us having done nothing more than a couple of track days) I certainly would not want to take a risk of hosting a "RACE" at either of the tracks without the cars having enough safety measures like roll cages, racing seats with 4-pt harness etc. Fun on the tracks without the above mentioned safety features is ok for a track day, but once you decide to turn it into a race things can get a lot hazardous. So I suggest we just stick to go-karts until that time you, me and the rest can come up with roll cages etc on our cars and can race without putting others lives at risk on a well laid out track.

Akshay, I think the track day scene is almost but dead. Atleast from the regular bangy guys. Though some of us do visit the track once in a while to test our cars. I should be going track side sometime in the 3rd week of September to test a couple of cars. Shall keep you informed if you guys are interested in joining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Why ask me? Mcl is the one you should ask!
At 85 kgs I can tell you I am a lot slower than I used to be . Binz can lap me for sure. I think I should be driving the 12bhp karts while you guys take the 10 bhp ones. That would be fair.

Binoy, renting out the place for 3 hrs also could work out quite expensive. Besides hiring the place on an hourly basis would work out only if the numbers were high. And honestly, I don't see more than 20 people game for such a thing.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 15th August 2008 at 18:12.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 09:42   #24
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Oh yeah, Just love the way the carts drift at Torq. Who cares about the timing....
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 22:18   #25
BHPian

Right ,

If someone can quote a ball park figure ...
I am gonna make it this time .
Sandeep_K_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2008, 22:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

Torq, and i'm in too. Maybe will even race
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 00:12   #27
BHPian

Wow...If its Marthahalli and september 7th.. I am ready to give a try with the
Professional KART racers...

Last edited by roopakr : 17th August 2008 at 00:14.
roopakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2008, 21:53   #28
BHPian

Will definitely join this meet. This will be my very first meet with fellow B'lore TBhpians.

Thanks for choosing Torq. It is visible from my apartment terrace

Rajat
rajatmakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 20:18   #29
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Jay, binz and myself checked out another go-karting track at Kanakpura Road. The track is beautifully setup but the karts there suck. In terms of track layout I would rate Grips, Amazing go-karting centre and Torque in that respective order.

Tried out the EVO (10 bhp) karts at Torque today. The karts are really nice. But the track doesn't do justice to their power and handling capability. Still trying to work out the costs. Will keep you all informed.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2008, 22:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Clocked 35.6 on the evo at torque today,lap record is mid-33s by nikhil kashyap on the same kart.Aiming to hit low 34s this weekend.