Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 6th September 2008, 07:01   #1
BANNED

Thumbs up Iftar 2008 @ Dubai!

Yes! The title says it all.

It's Ramadaan 1429!
It's bloody hot, dry and tiring. If somebody wants to experience the thrills of dehydration on a daily basis, this is it. The traffic is a killer icing on the already sour cake. And the dust firing winds really makes sure you conk up yourself.
But it's also one of the best occasion to have unlimited amounts of food and drinks once the sun goes down to it's bed/home/some other part of the world. As the dates have just been plucked from the trees, the souqs and markets are flooded with various scores of different varieties. Fresh, green, ripe, dry, soaked, you name it. All the arabian savouries and sweets are lined up to be grabbed. Fruits, which are mostly seen in pictures and dreams are thrown all over the place. Various kinds of mouthwatering drinks are poured out to sink in. Man! The utopia of pleasure is a world to be experienced here for any belly worshipper/food lover.

So naturally, we have to meet up over one of these grand food fiestas. Ain't it?
YEAH!!! (I can hear an echo already)
Guys! Let's have a Team-bhp Iftar party @ Dubai. Haaan, a good one! People from all the nearby emirates/states/countries/planets/universe are welcome to join in.
Within a few days, we'll be able to come out with a solid plan on how, when and where it's going to be. Please, your suggestions will be warmly appreciated here.

Let me put up something which comes to my mind.
Day?
Many have off on fridays. Means, thursday evening/night is a good day to meet up. It'll be better to let the first few days to pass by. How about meeting some time between 10th september and 20th?
Venue
I see that there're many places where they have organised Iftar packages/buffets/parties, we should be able to zero in on some good one!

Now, if something happens in Team-bhp with any connection to food, we cannot afford to miss our very own in house expert Duboy there. So, let's make this a family affair. Please bring in your wife(s), GF(s), kid(s), friends etc.. to this meet.

I request all Team-bhpians in Dubai/nearby to PM their contact numbers to me/Wheeler to make things easier. Also, please post your willingness to attend the meet in this thread.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 10:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ahlaan, Ahlaan !

Ramadan Kareem everyone and yes this is an event we were all looking forward to now that the Mullah is in town.

However what everyone is really looking forward to is an iftaar with home-food. All hotels have standard menus and it gets really boring after a couple of visits.

Therefore Zakariyya please organize something home-based at any one of your numerous homes in different emirates.

To make the Iftaar really special, you really have to fast during the day. A bit demanding in this weather, but it will make the food all the more special! Except for a certain 9-year-old who will eat like he's been fasting either ways.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 13:29   #3
Joz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Ahlaan, Ahlaan !

Therefore Zakariyya please organize something home-based at any one of your numerous homes in different emirates.
Amen to that!!

I have checked out the menu at some of the restaurants and it really definitely doesn't feel like Iftar. I don't want my first Iftar any where close to that.

So Zackie please do something!! I am game any day. We will put off my detox plans until then! And we will be atleast 4 hungry sould from my side.

And can we meet today??
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 13:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
Amen to that!!

I have checked out the menu at some of the restaurants and it really definitely doesn't feel like Iftar. I don't want my first Iftar any where close to that.
. Lets try to find something traditional. I'll scout places nearby and ask some friends for pointers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
And can we meet today??
Yes, its a long pending re-union. Lets meet up today.

Edit: just saw steer's request for a home treat. I second that. So i don't need to scout around do i? Zak, just tell us where to come. Dubai? Abu dhabi? (nice drive). Or ajman?

Last edited by wheeler : 6th September 2008 at 14:17.
wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 15:24   #5
BANNED

Oh my GOD!
Are you guys hell bend on this home food thingy? Ah, come on! We can always have one for that. What I meant by starting this thread is a meet at some good place in Dubai over an Iftar where everybody can speak and laugh a bit loudly and eat without caring anything. Not a mumble humble quiet dinner with shh.... shh..... sounds.
Otherwise, my house doors are open anytime after sunset. Rest assured!

Now, please stop pulling my legs and post something constructive. LOL!
Yes, we can begin with a mini meet tonight somewhere after 8:30pm. What say? Keep your phones on for my buzz.
Old 6th September 2008, 15:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Now, please stop pulling my legs and post something constructive. LOL!
Your daadi, you mean? Cant see your legs in that outfit, maan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Yes, we can begin with a mini meet tonight somewhere after 8:30pm. What say? Keep your phones on for my buzz.
Will be fine. May I suggest Abu Ali on Shk Zayed Road - you can smoke Sheesha there.

Or any other place with Sheesha, please (Aviation Club complex, for instance) as there's no iftaar without sheesha.

EDIT: One more option is the Aroma Garden Cafe near Rashid Hospital - you can smoke sheesha in a/c comfort.

Last edited by Steeroid : 6th September 2008 at 15:45.
Old 6th September 2008, 16:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

You guys are making me jealous :(
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 17:56   #8
BHPian

Count me in guys, though not for today's meet, am in for any thursday meet - Iftaar party.
v1kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2008, 23:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ramadan Kareem to all. May I suggest a Ramadan Drive with some home cooked food and sheesha? Zakie, time to try your hand at some nadan cooking.
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 01:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

DXB guys, do give a try to BBQ Delights in Karama (opposite the desi mall and cinema hall - whose name I am forgetting right now). It is owned by my ex-boss and has a great buffet spread at very affordable prices (It used be 30 AED pp 1 year back). But do make reservations in advance as it is almost always jam-packed.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 01:17   #11
BHPian

Iftaars rock in Hyderabad! whats an Iftaar without Hyderabadi Haleem!!!
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 09:54   #12
BHPian

We had a mini meet last night. And yes, it was good fun. What the heck!!! It was a tbhp meet. Obviously it was fun!

The mini meet was attended by Steeroid and family, Joz and wife, the mallu mullah, myself and a surprise guest.

Steer was guiding Zak to the venue and this is what pulls up
Iftar 2008 @ Dubai!-zaks-ride.jpg
Is Zak bringing all his families together?

Soon the surprise guest arrives and so does Zak.
Iftar 2008 @ Dubai!-zak-n-ride.jpg

Since he could not get a t-shirt to change into, Zak decides to improvise. ta-daaaaaaaa
Iftar 2008 @ Dubai!-zak.jpg

Sheeshas and drinks have been ordered.
Iftar 2008 @ Dubai!-joz.jpg
Iftar 2008 @ Dubai!-food.jpg

We have some uninvited guests too.
Iftar 2008 @ Dubai!-tbhp-pussies.jpg

Gyan sharing session in progress
Iftar 2008 @ Dubai!-gyan.jpg

I'm bored of the place. Lets go somewhere else
Iftar 2008 @ Dubai!-bored.jpg

We're bored too. These guys don't give us anything.
Iftar 2008 @ Dubai!-bored-pussies.jpg

By now you guys would have figured out who the surprise guest was. For those who havent, say hi to Elf.
Click image for larger version

Name:	bored.jpg
Views:	1025
Size:	708.6 KB
ID:	46268
(Zak and Elf)

After this we went to Karama for dinner at the Calicut Paragon Restaurant where the Mango Prawns Curry is a yummy favourite of the Dubai bhpians. Finally parted ways at around 1am. Elf dropped Zak and me off at our houses. Finally hit the sack at around 1:30am after enjoying another successful tbhp meet.

PS: Sorry for the quality of the pictures. Was taken on the phone cam.
wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2008, 11:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
Finally parted ways at around 1am. Elf dropped Zak and me off at our houses.
Post Script: Tired from about 3 hours of eating and drinking, Zak went back to McDonalds for a quarterpounder at 1.30 am.
Old 7th September 2008, 13:12   #14
BANNED

Wow! The N82 has worked wonders. That's some good pictures from the dark.

It was a very good reunion after a long time in Dubai. Unlimited crackers from Tarun (Elf), some good and bad food, Sheeshas which were sour but enjoyable, a mysterious limousine with some live accessories, cats! including a leaping one, a subtle but roaring Lexus, a crazy group of Bhpians and their families, etc..
It was good fun.

The grand Iftar is being planned and arranged while I'm typing this. Let's make it a good one too!
Old 7th September 2008, 15:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Arrey Elfie darling makes a return to the meets!! Zak, was he sozzled on his warmed Chablis again?

Looks like you guys had fun!

Note from Mod : Please keep it decent.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th September 2008 at 21:12. Reason: Please see note in post.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote