Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

View Poll Results: I am interested to do the following stretch
Bangy-Mumbai-Bangy 11 18.03%
Mumbai-Delhi-Mumbai 9 14.75%
Delhi-Kolkatta-Delhi 4 6.56%
Kolkatta-Chennai-Kolkatta 2 3.28%
Chennai-Bangy-Chennai 11 18.03%
Full GQ 17 27.87%
Others - Please mention in thread 7 11.48%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 7th September 2008, 18:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Ohh Shahnawaz, you have documented our discussion officially in the forum. Fir to execution karna padega !!

I think I can plan the Mumbai - Blr - Chennai - Kolkata stretch. Mumbai - Delhi is Kumar ji's cup of tea. Only worry is the Delhi - Kolkata stretch. Will people like adc, Sudipto da, planet can plan up anything.

BTW, are we doing clockwise or anticlockwise of the quadrilateral

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Khan_sultan,PatchyBoy,VJ_MAVRICK,akroy,btirthankar
You are right Vijay !!

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 7th September 2008 at 18:12.
Old 7th September 2008, 18:20   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Ohh Shahnawaz, you have documented our discussion officially in the forum. Fir to execution karna padega !!
yes sir.. execute karna padega.

Quote:
I think I can plan the Mumbai - Blr - Chennai - Kolkata stretch. Mumbai - Delhi is Kumar ji's cup of tea. Only worry is the Delhi - Kolkata stretch. Will people like adc, Sudipto da, planet can plan up anything.

BTW, are we doing clockwise or anticlockwise of the quadrilateral
We need to cover maximum states/capitals -- not just GQ/Metros. Just wait for a few days -- hvk is coming up with a first draft of the route.

See the kolkatta-delhi stretch will in all probability be a leg/phase and would be broken into smaller chunks. So should not be an issue.

And, my first impressions, gut feeling is that quite a few folks would want to drive ALL through and not just the relay part.

clockwise or anti-clockwise.. TBD.

Cheers,
Old 7th September 2008, 18:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
We need to cover maximum states/capitals -- not just GQ/Metros. Just wait for a few days -- hvk is coming up with a first draft of the route.
Great ! I was just about to send a PM to Kumar ji and wanted to echo the same idea.

Kumar Sir, Since you will be in Bangalore on Saturday next week, we will discuss on this in detail too.

Abhi
Old 7th September 2008, 18:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Great ! I was just about to send a PM to Kumar ji and wanted to echo the same idea.

Kumar Sir, Since you will be in Bangalore on Saturday next week, we will discuss on this in detail too.

Abhi
Great. How about a meet planning meet then?

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 7th September 2008, 18:32   #20
Team-BHP Support

Friends,

I think the 'route' part would be taken care of soon. Shall we start planning other aspects of the PAN India T-BHP Relay Meet now?
  • What about the social cause? Should we have one? If yes, can anyone take the lead and identify few NGO's/Social causes that this meet could be used for?
  • Who wants to take the lead in designing the 'PAN India T-BHP Relay Meet' stickers (Just like the Monsoon Drive stickers). We can get them designed/printed and the stickers can be 'one of the baton' items being passed along the relay. (They could also have the social cause/message relevant to this meet)
Quote:
Great. How about a meet planning meet then?
Coming saturday/sunday, most probably I will be off to Sakleshpur for the OTR recee. Am game for weekday evenings

Here is a link of a bsmotoring led 29 states in 29 days relay drive One Lap of India. It had Road Safety as the theme. I think we could also target some kind of record to be made.

The route taken by One Lap of India Relay

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th September 2008 at 18:43.
Old 7th September 2008, 18:38   #21
PVS
BHPian

Sounds interesting.. very interesting.. since there is a plan to cover the capitals/metros as well and not just the GQ - with hvk coming up with the draft, let's see where Hyderabad fits into the scheme of things.

PatchyBoy, Shahnawaz, akroy - good going!!
Old 7th September 2008, 19:04   #22
Team-BHP Support

The One lap of India was sponsored by Mahindra and our beloved Behram Dhabhar was part of the organizing team.

Here are the reports. We can for sure learn from these and take inputs in our planning.

Leg 1: Mumbai to Jammu

Leg 2: Jammu to Lucknow

Leg 3: Lucknow to Guwahati

Leg 4: Guwahati to NE states to Kolkatta

Leg 5: Kolkatta to Chennai

Leg 6: Chennai to Mumbai

While corporates/magazines/etc would have done many such relays, it would be the first time that a 'group of motor heads' are planning it on the internet and will be executing it and that too in their own vehicles.

BTW, as of now the tentative start/end point of the PAN India T-BHP Meet is Bangalore.

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th September 2008 at 19:19.
Old 7th September 2008, 19:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Put me down for Chennai-Bangalore.
If its going to be timed, I've got something cooking in the pot.
Old 7th September 2008, 23:20   #24
BHPian

Awesome idea!

I've always dreamt of doing the GQ and hopefully the time has arrived ;-)
I am going to keep my eyes glued onto this thread.
Just a few thoughts on this journey:

01. Time: October has its share of govt holidays. So it would be easy for people to club these with leaves. However, is a months time enough for all the preparations?

02. Vehicles: Diesel vehicles with good boot space. This should cut the expenditure drastically. Service and Spares should be easily available. One can expect several punctures, hence multiple spare tires should also be considered.

03. Duration of the relay/drive: If site seeing is also included then this would take weeks to complete.

04. Break down: What happens if a vehicle breaks down (obviously not a Maruti ;-) ) and there is no help nearby?

Cheers,
Sushanth
Old 8th September 2008, 00:20   #25
BHPian

Folks, count me in the relay, either from chennai to bangalore or from bangalore to mumbai stretches.
i am eagerly watching this thread, for a long drive.

cheers. Tbhp will surely be the talk of the motoring fraternity, atleast in india,for a few months, if we do this successfully. lets do it ...
Old 8th September 2008, 08:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
01. Time: October has its share of govt holidays. So it would be easy for people to club these with leaves. However, is a months time enough for all the preparations?
Time should be somewhere near Diwali.

Quote:
02. Vehicles: Diesel vehicles with good boot space. This should cut the expenditure drastically. Service and Spares should be easily available. One can expect several punctures, hence multiple spare tires should also be considered.
My Alto is a petrol but still economical

Quote:
03. Duration of the relay/drive: If site seeing is also included then this would take weeks to complete.
It should not cross more than 10 days (including the weekends) otherwise getting leaves are difficult.

Quote:
04. Break down: What happens if a vehicle breaks down (obviously not a Maruti ;-) ) and there is no help nearby?
Thats no worry here !! multiple cars are there. Any bigger car will tow it. Tow ropes will be available.

Abhi
Old 8th September 2008, 13:05   #27
Team-BHP Support

T-BHPians from Mumbai, Kolkatta, Delhi, UP, punjab, etc.. Where art thou? Please pitch in with ideas, advise, suggestions and take lead in planning & execution.

This can't be done without 'anchors/leads' & enthusiastic members from all locations throughout India

We have nitrous/shekaran from Chennai/Pondy pitching in.

Cheers,
Old 8th September 2008, 14:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:

Jag; just volunteer and self nominate for any of the tentative teams I had mentioned in the first post. And then lead the way sir..

Cheers,
I have choice?

Working for an Internet Entertainment Company, I surely could do my part for the Media/Advt team. Will start working with my friends on how to get some free publicity.

I would also like to be part of the Bangalore leg of the rally. Don't think I can do the entire stretch due to time constraints.

Quote:
Time should be somewhere near Diwali.

It should not cross more than 10 days (including the weekends) otherwise getting leaves are difficult.

Thats no worry here !! multiple cars are there. Any bigger car will tow it. Tow ropes will be available.

Abhi
I feel, if we want to combined this with some social cause, then Diwali looks way too early. Definitely not enough time to get sponsorship as well.
Moreover, sponsorship would also involve spending time for promotional activities, stretching overall duration of the rally.

What I suggest is we do this in true TBHP style, i.e. without any external sponsorship. This way we have the complete rally under our control. No harm in promoting any social cause en-route though that may not be the main focus.

As far as breakdowns are concerned, if we can make sure that the main cars of the rally, which would do the entire stretch are of the same make and model, thereby reducing the overhead of carrying multiple spares.

Quote:
Coming saturday/sunday, most probably I will be off to Sakleshpur for the OTR recee. Am game for weekday evenings
Weekdays are good for me. I'll also be out of town this weekend.

- Jag
Old 8th September 2008, 14:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Excellent idea guys. I am planning an all India drive starting 2nd or 3rd week of October. If our schedules match then I will definitely be a part of what ever routes we have in common.
Old 8th September 2008, 14:46   #30
BHPian

Guys I am in

And my 2 bits of advice, starting and ending point should be the city from where the maximum number of people, who want do the entire route, come from.

Secondly I agree with others on having a diesel car with large capacity (its means a SUV or MUV) as the lead car for all legs.

And about the spare tyres, I guess many of us have tubeless tyres with us, that would actually leaves no room for spares. So maybe an SUV with tubeless tyres is what we are looking at
Closed Thread