Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 3rd July 2009, 10:10   #361
Senior - BHPian

Hey thats great, but i think you are going to be ahead all the time(unless you have to come back the same route) as i am starting from mumbai on the 8th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
Kochi-delhi-manali-leh-srinagar-delhi-kochi.Hoping to start on august 1 st and reach back by 18th.
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:14   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
wow it looks as if you are all set to leave. BTW do something about the bag on tank. I doubt if it will hold tight on those bumpy roads. Specially as it is just holding on using magnets, right?
Relax! If those are the magnetic tank bags from cramster then they will hold just fine!
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:17   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
For the observatory at Hanle, the DC cannot issue the permit. That is a special procedure which in fact can be done from Delhi also. I'm afraid I do not know the details.
Yogesh Sarkar (member here) would be able to tell.
Not sure what you are talking about. We did apply for and get permits for ChangThang and Hanle from Leh itself. Apart form the regular permit, we had to pay 100 bucks each for a clearance from some forest dept as well.

As for the Observatory, theoretically atleast you arent supposed to allowed anywhere close. But the local staff wont mind you taking a look around.
COUGAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 15:32   #364
Senior - BHPian

Default Finally I'm going!

Finally after various permutation and combinations, I have been able to finalise my destiny with Ladakh this year. We are intending to to go sometime after first week of September.
Tentative starting date: September 5/11 Evening
Tentative Return date : September 21/28 morning
Route :
  1. Hyd - Delhi ( Need to figure which route wrt time and distance. )
  2. Delhi - Leh - Delhi ( Haven't decided the route to be taken
I am very new to the Leh planning thing and my knowledge about the geography is limited to what I have read on various travelogues here and other places. Request all you experienced hands to help me on with the following:
  1. Which is the best approach route to Leh, Manali or Srinagar. We want to go by one and come back the other way.
  2. Wil we get to see Snow in September?
  3. Will any parts be closed in September?
  4. What are the main places to see in Ladakh apart from Leh, Khardungla, Pangangso and Tso Moriri.
  5. We would like to stay in Pangang So and Tso Moriri if possible.
  6. Any special preparation that needs to be done on the vehicle. The ride will be a 2wd Bolero.
  7. I would like to tag along in the convoy if anybody else is going during that time.
@HVK:Understand you are going during the same time but not sure whether you'll be covering the same places as a first timer would. Else would like to tag along if you don't mind.

@TSK: thanks man for your excel, its been a great help in planning this trip
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 16:10   #365
Senior - BHPian

MileCruncher, we are scheduled to leave Bombay on Sep 12, crossing Delhi on Sep 13, reaching Kargil on Sep 14. Will be fun if we can synchronise dates.

We are taking the full circuit of the Valleys - Kashmir, Zanskar, Leh, Nubra, Pangong, Tso Moriri, Lahaul, Spiti and Kinnaur.

Quote:
Route :
Hyd - Delhi ( Need to figure which route wrt time and distance. )
Delhi - Leh - Delhi ( Haven't decided the route to be taken
The emerging favourite route is not the conventional NS corridor via Laknadon but via Bhopal. That route for you would be:
Hyderabad-on NH7-Adilabad-Nagpur-on NH69-Betul-Hoshangabad-Obaidullahganj-on NH12-Bhopal-Biaora-on NH3-Guna-Shivpuri-Gwalior-Agra-on NH2-Mathura-Delhi

Ideally, leaving H'Bad early in the morning, with fast drive, you could even target Bhopal, assuming you cross Nagpur before noon. The next day, you could reach Delhi from Bhopal.

Alternatively, you could take NH9 and drive to Bombay via Solapur and Pune (8-9 hours) and take NH8 to Delhi via Ahmedabad, Udaipur and Jaipur. If you leave early from Hyderabad, you could target crossing Bombay on Day 1 and stay at either Surat or Baroda, and proceed the next day to Delhi. You could also join us on Sep 12 early morning to Delhi.

Quote:
Which is the best approach route to Leh, Manali or Srinagar. We want to go by one and come back the other way.
We are doing our trip in the Srinagar-Leh-Manali direction. Makes no difference except that if you want to visit Tso Moriri (on the Leh-Manali route), you have to obtain permits in Leh which means you will have to backtrack if you have to do it in the M-L-S direction, hence our decision to do the S-L-M direction.

Quote:
Wil we get to see Snow in September?
Will any parts be closed in September?
Unlikely, but the weather this year has been very erratic, with late snowfall in June. Last year, the frst snow occured around Sep 12, but I am sceptical that it will this year since the monsoon/ weather patterns seem to have shifted 20-30 days forward this year.

Quote:
What are the main places to see in Ladakh apart from Leh, Khardungla, Pangangso and Tso Moriri.
We would like to stay in Pangang So and Tso Moriri if possible.
Places to see - Padum (Zanskar V), Mulbek, Lamayuru, Alchi, Leh (Leh Palace, Spituk), Hemis, Thikshey, K La, Nubra V, Pangong Tso, Tso Moriri.
We are covering all of them in our trip.

You can stay at Tangtse/Lukung/Spangimik near Pangong Tso - the last two are on the banks of the Lake, Tangtse is 1 hour before.

Quote:
Any special preparation that needs to be done on the vehicle. The ride will be a 2wd Bolero.
I would like to tag along in the convoy if anybody else is going during that time.
No special preparations, except that the car has to be top-class. All routine maintenace should be done, such as oil changes, etc. Check out brake pads (change it 50% earlier), clutch plaes (if nearing end of life, change), belts, etc. Change tyres if nearing 80% of useful life.

In the attached file is my detailed Route Plan
Attached Files
File Type: xls leh-sep09.xls (98.5 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by hvkumar : 7th July 2009 at 16:11.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 16:23   #366
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Finally after various permutation and combinations, I have been able to finalise my destiny with Ladakh this year. We are intending to to go sometime after first week of September.
Tentative starting date: September 5/11 Evening
Tentative Return date : September 21/28 morning
Route :
We will see you on way back then!
Quote:
  1. Which is the best approach route to Leh, Manali or Srinagar. We want to go by one and come back the other way.
  2. Wil we get to see Snow in September?
  3. Will any parts be closed in September?
  4. What are the main places to see in Ladakh apart from Leh, Khardungla, Pangangso and Tso Moriri.
  5. We would like to stay in Pangang So and Tso Moriri if possible.
  6. Any special preparation that needs to be done on the vehicle. The ride will be a 2wd Bolero.
  7. I would like to tag along in the convoy if anybody else is going during that time.
Apart from the place you mentioned you can probably do Zanskar.
It does not require permits.
So if you go from Kashmir side you can do Zanskar while going, or if you do Kashmir on way back, do it while going back.
My suggestion, reach Delhi.
Then look at news about valley. If everything is quiet and cool, go for kashmir, and reach Ladakh
The route will be same as what suman followed, but instead of doing Kargil Leh, do Kargil Padum.
Stay 1 night in Padum, come back to panikhar and then do Panikhar leh.
Make sure you time leh such that the next day is not a public holiday.
Reason is that you need to get permits.
Alternatively you could contact travel agents and get permits in advance.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 14:30   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
MileCruncher, we are scheduled to leave Bombay on Sep 12, crossing Delhi on Sep 13, reaching Kargil on Sep 14. Will be fun if we can synchronise dates.

We are taking the full circuit of the Valleys - Kashmir, Zanskar, Leh, Nubra, Pangong, Tso Moriri, Lahaul, Spiti and Kinnaur.

The emerging favourite route is not the conventional NS corridor via Laknadon but via Bhopal. That route for you would be:
Hyderabad-on NH7-Adilabad-Nagpur-on NH69-Betul-Hoshangabad-Obaidullahganj-on NH12-Bhopal-Biaora-on NH3-Guna-Shivpuri-Gwalior-Agra-on NH2-Mathura-Delhi

Ideally, leaving H'Bad early in the morning, with fast drive, you could even target Bhopal, assuming you cross Nagpur before noon. The next day, you could reach Delhi from Bhopal.

Alternatively, you could take NH9 and drive to Bombay via Solapur and Pune (8-9 hours) and take NH8 to Delhi via Ahmedabad, Udaipur and Jaipur. If you leave early from Hyderabad, you could target crossing Bombay on Day 1 and stay at either Surat or Baroda, and proceed the next day to Delhi. You could also join us on Sep 12 early morning to Delhi.

We are doing our trip in the Srinagar-Leh-Manali direction. Makes no difference except that if you want to visit Tso Moriri (on the Leh-Manali route), you have to obtain permits in Leh which means you will have to backtrack if you have to do it in the M-L-S direction, hence our decision to do the S-L-M direction.

Unlikely, but the weather this year has been very erratic, with late snowfall in June. Last year, the frst snow occured around Sep 12, but I am sceptical that it will this year since the monsoon/ weather patterns seem to have shifted 20-30 days forward this year.

Places to see - Padum (Zanskar V), Mulbek, Lamayuru, Alchi, Leh (Leh Palace, Spituk), Hemis, Thikshey, K La, Nubra V, Pangong Tso, Tso Moriri.
We are covering all of them in our trip.

You can stay at Tangtse/Lukung/Spangimik near Pangong Tso - the last two are on the banks of the Lake, Tangtse is 1 hour before.

No special preparations, except that the car has to be top-class. All routine maintenace should be done, such as oil changes, etc. Check out brake pads (change it 50% earlier), clutch plaes (if nearing end of life, change), belts, etc. Change tyres if nearing 80% of useful life.

In the attached file is my detailed Route Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
We will see you on way back then!

Apart from the place you mentioned you can probably do Zanskar.
It does not require permits.
So if you go from Kashmir side you can do Zanskar while going, or if you do Kashmir on way back, do it while going back.
My suggestion, reach Delhi.
Then look at news about valley. If everything is quiet and cool, go for kashmir, and reach Ladakh
The route will be same as what suman followed, but instead of doing Kargil Leh, do Kargil Padum.
Stay 1 night in Padum, come back to panikhar and then do Panikhar leh.
Make sure you time leh such that the next day is not a public holiday.
Reason is that you need to get permits.
Alternatively you could contact travel agents and get permits in advance.
Thanks HVK and Tanveer.

I don't intend to take the NS link as already had a bad experience between Lalitpur and Lakhnadon on a previous trip. Will need to figure out the best possible route.

I'm planning the itinerary and once that's done, will put it up here for everyone's comments.

Cheers
Old 8th July 2009, 14:54   #368
BHPian

I did the Leh tour from Nagpur in June first week, the road I took was , Nagpur, Betul, Bhopal, Gwalior, Agra and its was good and I was able to do 1000+ kms on day one starting early from Nagpur and reaching Hodal by 9.30 PM. you may want to take this route, Hyd- Nagpur, I believe is still being worked out and looking at rain you may want to take the route which will have less problem, the Nagpur - Chindwara road on Tuesday was closed due to few of the Nallah/river over flowing !!!

-Pramod
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 15:19   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
I did the Leh tour from Nagpur in June first week, the road I took was , Nagpur, Betul, Bhopal, Gwalior, Agra and its was good and I was able to do 1000+ kms on day one starting early from Nagpur and reaching Hodal by 9.30 PM. you may want to take this route, Hyd- Nagpur, I believe is still being worked out and looking at rain you may want to take the route which will have less problem, the Nagpur - Chindwara road on Tuesday was closed due to few of the Nallah/river over flowing !!!

-Pramod
That is the whole problem. Last year in September first week I did Delhi - Hyderabad on the NS link and I had a tough time traversing MP and then most of the patches on nagpur - Hyd were badly broken. Even though its been a year and the construction would have progressed, but I feel the road conditions will be similar due to it being the same time of the year post monsoons.

I'm thinking about Hyd - Mumbai - Delhi but somehow the extra KMs is a worry
Old 8th July 2009, 15:23   #370
Senior - BHPian

When you are on such a long and arduous trip, don't worry about the extra kms - what matters is how good the road is, and how good a shape your car arrives at its destination. The H'Bad-Nagpur route is in much better shape this year and I would take it as my first choice. The Bombay route is fast and non-problemmatic.
Old 8th July 2009, 16:52   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you are on such a long and arduous trip, don't worry about the extra kms - what matters is how good the road is, and how good a shape your car arrives at its destination. The H'Bad-Nagpur route is in much better shape this year and I would take it as my first choice. The Bombay route is fast and non-problemmatic.
On checking this through www.maps.live.co.in found a good differential of 500 Kms. Wanted to know how is the road condition on Hyd - nasik - Agra - Delhi route as it is only 200 Kms longer
Old 8th July 2009, 17:52   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
On checking this through www.maps.live.co.in found a good differential of 500 Kms. Wanted to know how is the road condition on Hyd - nasik - Agra - Delhi route as it is only 200 Kms longer
Avoid NH3 at all costs during monsoons - Nasik-Dhulia-Indore-Agra route.
Take either Nagpur-Bhopal route or Bombay-Udaipur route only
Old 8th July 2009, 18:10   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Avoid NH3 at all costs during monsoons - Nasik-Dhulia-Indore-Agra route.
Take either Nagpur-Bhopal route or Bombay-Udaipur route only
Aye Aye Sir

Seeing the distances, I think I'll stick to the Bhopal Route as suggested by you. BTW is it worth skipping Nagpur by turning left from Wardha?
Old 8th July 2009, 18:18   #374
BHPian

skipping Nagpur? as far as I know you will need to take Nagpur-Betul-Itarsi-Hosangabad-Bhopal route, Wardha will not come into picture, you can take the ring road at Nagpur, but that will make you pay toll and will take more time to cross, you can easily cross reach Chindwara road via main city from Hydrabad road in 15-20 minutes[ if you travel to Jabalpur road, you have to pass through Nagpur-Kamptee and the Kanhan that take approx 1 hr to cross 20 kms]

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 8th July 2009 at 18:20.
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 18:41   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
So any of you gonna be in Leh around 10th to 20th of Aug??
Will be heading that way in August. Chandigarh - Manali - Leh - Srinagar - dates are 15th August to Sept 3rd - but will be on a bike!
amip is offline   Reply With Quote