Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 8th July 2009, 19:12   #376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
skipping Nagpur? as far as I know you will need to take Nagpur-Betul-Itarsi-Hosangabad-Bhopal route, Wardha will not come into picture, you can take the ring road at Nagpur, but that will make you pay toll and will take more time to cross, you can easily cross reach Chindwara road via main city from Hydrabad road in 15-20 minutes[ if you travel to Jabalpur road, you have to pass through Nagpur-Kamptee and the Kanhan that take approx 1 hr to cross 20 kms]

-Pramod
As per the Map below, you can skip Nagpur altogether by turning left from NH7 into SH243, SH257, SH245 & SH81 and come out straight on NH69
Attached Thumbnails
Team Bhp At Leh. Anyone Interested?-nagpur-bypass.jpg  

MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 21:43   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amip View Post
Will be heading that way in August. Chandigarh - Manali - Leh - Srinagar - dates are 15th August to Sept 3rd - but will be on a bike!
hey thats cool. lets catchup somewhere there for sure!!!
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 22:13   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Aye Aye Sir

Seeing the distances, I think I'll stick to the Bhopal Route as suggested by you. BTW is it worth skipping Nagpur by turning left from Wardha?
As pramods says, no point in going anywhere near Wardha which is off NH7 anyway. Stick to NH7, Nagpur is not a difficult city to cross. Be inspired by pramods who did Nagpur-Hodal in 1 day!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 23:39   #379
Team-BHP Support

Nagpur had amazing roads around 4-5 years back.
It was a pleasant surprise, we expected chaos, but did not find any.
Hyd to Nagpur was a great drive, till we entered MH, after that the roads vanished with craters big enough to swallow trucks.
Hopefully there are roads there now
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 10:49   #380
BHPian

yeah, true you can, never been on these road and never looked at the map, but not sure what would be the road condition in these interior roads, I would not suggested to take these road at this time of year because of rain and unfamiliarity of cities/towns/villages.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 18:39   #381
abk
BHPian

Default Going to Leh in Aug via Manali

Folks,

We plan to do Delhi - Leh sometime during the middle of next month (likely leaving Delhi late evening on Thursday 13 Aug). Hope to return to Delhi by 23 Aug.

Route: Road via Manali both ways
Members: At the moment looks like 4-5 but may shoot up to 6-7.
Cars: 2 cars; will probably be a Santro & a petrol Vista. My OHC II will miss out much to my chagrin. Can anyone please vouch for OHC II Exi (stock) doing Leh reasonably comfortably? We will be very happy to join forces with other members doing the trip during this time (and if feasible, take my OHC).

I am gleaning all the useful (& there's soooo much!) info from this forum for preparation of the trip. The groundwork has begun
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 00:46   #382
Senior - BHPian

Default Route Plan Finally Ready

I have just finished preparing the Route Plan for my Ladakh Trip this September.

Here the details
  1. Sep 12 : Hyderabad - Itarsi
  2. Sep 13: Itrasi - Delhi
  3. Sep 14 : Delhi - Udhampur
  4. Sep 15 : Udhampur - Srinagar
  5. Sep 16 : Srinagar ( Sight seeing & Rest)
  6. Sep 17 : Srinagar - kargil
  7. Sep 18 " Kargil - Leh
  8. Sep 19/20/
  9. Sep 21 : Leh - Pangong Tso
  10. Sep 22 : Pangong Tso - Tsomoriri - Manali
  11. Sep 23 : Manali - Delhi
  12. Sep 26 : Delhi - Ahmedabad - Mumbai - Hyderabad
Please let me know if there are.
Old 11th July 2009, 01:00   #383
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Sep 22 : Pangong Tso - Tsomoriri - Manali
Can't be done one day,but from Tsomoriri you can do in one day going through one more lake Tso Kor and joining at Moore Plains but this road is full of gravel.
Sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 07:04   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  1. Sep 12 : Hyderabad - Itarsi
  2. Sep 13: Itrasi - Delhi
  3. Sep 14 : Delhi - Udhampur
  4. Sep 15 : Udhampur - Srinagar
  5. Sep 16 : Srinagar ( Sight seeing & Rest)
  6. Sep 17 : Srinagar - kargil
  7. Sep 18 " Kargil - Leh
  8. Sep 19/20/
  9. Sep 21 : Leh - Pangong Tso
  10. Sep 22 : Pangong Tso - Tsomoriri - Manali
  11. Sep 23 : Manali - Delhi
  12. Sep 26 : Delhi - Ahmedabad - Mumbai - Hyderabad
Why Delhi and Udhampur? Look at recent thread suggesting bypassing Delhi. Stay somewhere around Ambala / Ropar (both places have tourism motels) and next day you can aim for Srinagar.

Honestly unless you plan a day or two more to go up towards Zanskar there is no point of night at Kargil. Think of staying the night before at Sonamarg instead of Srinagar and then push early morning for Leh. Easily doable and you can check up one way timing the night before and if needed push really early and you can be in Leh by late noon.

I would not do Manali via Tso Moriri and Tsokar in a day. Too tiring and does not leave room for enjoyment. IAC going via Tso Kar would mean need for vehicle with good ground clearance if not outright 4x4.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 07:46   #385
Senior - BHPian

Many thanks for the response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
Can't be done one day,but from Tsomoriri you can do in one day going through one more lake Tso Kor and joining at Moore Plains but this road is full of gravel.
Could please tell me what is the distance, journey time and the ideal route ? I would like to do Pangong Tso and either of the Tso Moriri or Tso Kar on the way back to MANALI
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Why Delhi and Udhampur? Look at recent thread suggesting bypassing Delhi. Stay somewhere around Ambala / Ropar (both places have tourism motels) and next day you can aim for Srinagar.
Delhi is unavoidable as Mom stay there and Udhampur because a friend is there

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Honestly unless you plan a day or two more to go up towards Zanskar there is no point of night at Kargil. Think of staying the night before at Sonamarg instead of Srinagar and then push early morning for Leh. Easily doable and you can check up one way timing the night before and if needed push really early and you can be in Leh by late noon.

I would not do Manali via Tso Moriri and Tsokar in a day. Too tiring and does not leave room for enjoyment. IAC going via Tso Kar would mean need for vehicle with good ground clearance if not outright 4x4.
So you mean to say that from Udhampur I should push towards Sonmarg and stay the night there. But I would like to see Srinagar and may be have a Shikara ride in The Dal Lake as well. My wife is also very keen on seeing Nishat Bagh and the other gardens if they are still open and well maintained. So what would be the ideal stop over between Srinagar and Ladakh? Or is it possible to Reach Srinagar by Afternoon if I leave early morning from Udhampur. so that I can finish the Shikara ride and other things in the evening itself and push off next morning towards Leh. Also as per my present planning I'm reaching Ladakh on Friday. Would DC office be open for ILP on saturday?

Also seeing the pictures of Moore Plains, I'm really interested in going through them. What is the route?

i have a Bolero 4X2. Do you think it can take the Tso Kar lake route?

Cheers

Last edited by MileCruncher : 11th July 2009 at 07:51. Reason: Content Added on After thought
Old 11th July 2009, 08:11   #386
Senior - BHPian

Anirudha, I'd suggest, if you can bypass Delhi and go on about two or three hours further along GT road, make your nightstop at Karnal or Pipli.
Then next day go to Patnitop (not Udhampur). It's one of the must do places. Stay a night there and proceed to the next must do place - Pahalgam.
After that comes Gulmarg or Srinagar.
Also, Sonamarg is worth a full day!

And, BTW your departure time from Sonamarg (for Kargil) is not of your choosing - the Army decides when the civilian vehicles from Sonamarg will move. The road to Zoji La is single lane!

C'mon add a few days to your trip!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 08:20   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Anirudha, I'd suggest, if you can bypass Delhi and go on about two or three hours further along GT road, make your nightstop at Karnal or Pipli.
Then next day go to Patnitop (not Udhampur). It's one of the must do places. Stay a night there and proceed to the next must do place - Pahalgam.
After that comes Gulmarg or Srinagar.
Also, Sonamarg is worth a full day!

And, BTW your departure time from Sonamarg (for Kargil) is not of your choosing - the Army decides when the civilian vehicles from Sonamarg will move. The road to Zoji La is single lane!

C'mon add a few days to your trip!
I wish me and wifey could take a few more days but thats not of our choosing, is it

Anyways as already stated
Delhi - Mom
Udhampur - Friend

And Anupji in your own words " There is always the next time, Nobody said you have to do it only once"

Last edited by MileCruncher : 11th July 2009 at 08:29.
Old 11th July 2009, 19:08   #388
Sha
BHPian

@Milecruncher- We left Tso Moriri lake at 8.30am and reached keylong by 9 pm, from keylong to Manali it should take between 4-6 hrs depends upon traffic and weather condition. it should be around 300 Km not sure. Any SUV with 4x2 ca do it even 800 can do only its gravel, loose sand and stones.

The route I took was Korzok(Tso Moriri), sumdo village (need to be careful it's small village need to enter inside and it's gravel road till tso Kar), Tso Kar, Moore plain, Pang, Sarchu, Manali.

If you need map let me know.

Last edited by Sha : 11th July 2009 at 19:10.
Sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 07:55   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

1. I am not saying skip Srinagar. All I am saying is on the last day there move to Sonamarg.

2. If Sha did Tso Moriri to Keylong in 13 hours you need to add Keylong Manali and Pangon Tso to Tso Moriri to this. Thats is why I was saying do not plan to do it in a day.

3. More Plains will come on the way which ever route you take back to manali.

My suggestion is take your time and enjoy. As you said there can always be next time to see one or two more places. But you will rue it if time is constrain.

Plan to do Pangong Tso to Sarchu in a day and then Manali (or even beyond) next day.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2009, 10:33   #390
Team-BHP Support

Hi Sha, whats the Leh-Tso Moriri Driving time?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote