Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 17th November 2008, 12:33   #181
Team-BHP Support

Guys, The pictures show a great meet and some very nice weather too. I am sure you all must have loved it.

@avi: you lost hair since we last met or what man :-).

This picture has some interesting words: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...t-img_3707.jpg

1: Guru PANJABI dhaba: I hope they don't ask for PAN cards while ordering or settling the bill

2. Oxyrich Water: PATENTED technology. Now what's that???

PS: Hey guys, why don't someone put names/handles to these pictures. I can recognize only 3 from this.

Cheers,
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 12:55   #182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Guys, The pictures show a great meet and some very nice weather too. I am sure you all must have loved it.

@avi: you lost hair since we last met or what man :-).

This picture has some interesting words: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...t-img_3707.jpg

1: Guru PANJABI dhaba: I hope they don't ask for PAN cards while ordering or settling the bill

2. Oxyrich Water: PATENTED technology. Now what's that???

PS: Hey guys, why don't someone put names/handles to these pictures. I can recognize only 3 from this.

Cheers,
Thanks Shahnawaz, I had been to Tirupathi last week that's why the sudden change from dense to sparse

You should check out one more picture in this thread and it is more interesting words on a shop signboard. I will let you search for it.

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th November 2008 at 12:56.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 13:16   #183
BHPian

Post Event Writeup!

Venue – RTP (Malaysian Township)
Time – 8:15 IST
Location – My place
Attendees – Rajesh Rawal, Devnull (Rahul) and self

Outgoing Trip -
While Devnull dropped in @ 8:15 to have some tea, Rajesh came by 8:30. We wrapped up a quick breakfast and then took off for BHEL. We started off from RTP at 8:40 IST and took a shortcut through Baskin Robbins to avoid the entire JNTU stretch. Reached BHEL @ 9:05 and met up with the rest of the Team BHP Members. BHEL was just as crowded as expected with all trucks and buses and all types of vehicles running amok, people jumping signals and crossing like it was Lodhi Gardens! But anyways we managed to start off by about 9:30. Once we hit the highway, everybody just wanted to test their vehicles! We managed 135kmph on a Santro Automatic (with K&N) but had to slow down due to traffic. (Suren181 – I think we need the Iridiums here!). But eventually we all slowed down to a comfortable 100+kmph once the ‘freedom from city traffic’ wore out its novelty! We did manage a short bio break about 10 odd Kms from Zaheerabad where we took some pictures and had some sandwiches (Thanks to Absynthguzzler). Unfortunately Zen91 did not stop (as he was still enjoying the freedom from the city traffic) so we eventually called him up and asked him to wait up for us outside Zaheerabad. Post a couple of photo sessions we all started off again for Zaheerabad and then met up at a Dhaba outside the city. While we were all having tea, we met up with ‘Anwar Ali Khan” who has been on the road on his scooter since 13th March 1995. His whole idea of doing this activity is to promote communal harmony and national integration. He showed us various pictures and newspaper articles of his trip. He did mention that he was on his way to Delhi post his sojourn in AP. He has covered more than 2.5 lakh Kms on his scooter (I did manage to check his speedo which I don’t think worked) but going from his stories I’m sure he has managed this feat. I also managed to do a quick TD on the Vista and found some surprises (mentioned earlier). Post our tea stop we carried onto Bidar directly. We stopped outside Karnataka Government College to wait for the others to catch up. Once everyone joined we managed to get hold of a rickshaw puller and get some information from him in terms of the sight seeing and things to do around Bidar.

After asking for directions couple of times we finally managed to get to the fort. We actually drove into the fort (see attached video) and parked right outside the main gate. There wasn’t really anything much to see except the ruins of the fort and an immaculately maintained garden. There was a museum which housed various articles like crockery, utensils, stone carvings, paintings etc from that time period. One interesting display was a collection of old rifles. There was one which was over 30 feet long. Guess this was used to shoot across borders! Not sure how many people were required to carry this either. But it was NOT a cannon but an actual rifle (a bit thick to accommodate the length). I think they might have had to cut a whole tree to make this one! Post the initial sightseeing at the fort we decided to have some strategic photography. For this we actually left NaveenKK at the fort while we lined up the cars outside the rest of ruins. While Rawal and I went off exploring the rest of the ruins with Devnull and Getsurya joining us, the rest of the team lined up their cars for the photo ceremony. We had some serious photo sessions with people aligning their cars in various poses!

Post the photo session everyone started feeling hungry so we decided to look for a decent joint to eat (and drink). We were nominated as the lead car so we started off through the city of Bidar in search (see attached video) of food (and liquor). Finally we managed to settle down at Hotel Mayura. While I was able to coerce the restaurant manager to provide us an isolated room, Rajesh went back to fetch the others.

We ordered for a whole lot of starters and alcohol (as we were all hungry and thirsty) and then settled down for lunch more towards the evening than afternoon. We had discussions around several points ranging from the newest member to the highest poster! I will leave this section to others so that they may add their contribution on the varied topics that we covered.

BTW post lunch we managed to check the ICE on Rider60’s and Mobike008’s cars. As you can all guess the people staying the in the Hotel obviously came to their balconies to see that was happening!

Return trip – Left at 17:30 IST just as it was beginning to get dark. By the time we hit the highway it was already dark. Initially we (Me & Rawal) followed Mobike008 in his Accent since we really did not how to get out of Bidar. But once we hit the highway we were all back to our usual speed of 100Kmph+. For some reason Mobike008 slowed down (probably because he was carrying 3 others in the car or maybe he was just feeling too lazy to speed up and just wanted to enjoy the drive). That’s when we overtook them and then one by one overtook the rest of the guys (Devnull, Absynthguzzler, Krishna Valeveti, CrtlAltDel, VVRChandra, Zen91 and finally Getsurya,) though not in that order. Guess it was us wanting to head back home faster that forced us to drive fast. We were averaging approx 100kmph+. Surprisingly couldn’t find Rider60 anywhere. Maybe he was more in a hurry to get back than us! Finally reached RTP @ 19:40 and logged on with a comment on the thread @ 20:00. The roads were awesome (except for couple of bad patches). Total ODO reading was 254 from Madhapur to Bidar and back to RTP.

Thanks everyone for joining in. Hopefully we should have another one shortly with a similar turnout. While we did have a couple of cancellations for varied reasons ranging from “I didn’t get up” to “I had to fly out of town for some work”, it was a good turnout with 10 Cars.
theodore_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 13:23   #184
BHPian

I am sorry Avinash for not making it to the meet.

BTW, did you guys visit Nanak Zarana?

Last edited by whitesquall : 17th November 2008 at 13:28.
whitesquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 13:29   #185
BHPian

Lightbulb Names!

Reuploading an old pic with the names for the benefit of others. (Thanks for the pic devnull - He's the one taking the picture!)
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad : November'08 Drive Meet-img_3725.jpg  

Last edited by theodore_ftw : 17th November 2008 at 13:35. Reason: .
Old 17th November 2008, 13:47   #186
Senior - BHPian

Hey, I am missing in that pic....so not a full complement of all of the team which travelled to Bidar!!
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 13:57   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore_ftw View Post
Return trip – Left at 17:30 IST just as it was beginning to get dark. By the time we hit the highway it was already dark. Initially we (Me & Rawal) followed Mobike008 in his Accent since we really did not how to get out of Bidar. But once we hit the highway we were all back to our usual speed of 100Kmph+. For some reason Mobike008 slowed down (probably because he was carrying 3 others in the car or maybe he was just feeling too lazy to speed up and just wanted to enjoy the drive).

Surprisingly couldn’t find Rider60 anywhere. Maybe he was more in a hurry to get back than us! Finally reached RTP @ 19:40 and logged on with a comment on the thread @ 20:00. The roads were awesome (except for couple of bad patches). Total ODO reading was 254 from Madhapur to Bidar and back to RTP.
Excellent write-up Amit. And, thanks for saving me the write-up effort and the group picture names

Me and slowing down? I had a few issues like water in the windshield dispenser was empty and my wipers were dirty like hell and since it was drizzling continously, i was barely able to see the road ahead clearly from inside my dirty windshield.

We stopped at a couple of places and wiped the screen but, it hardly helped. PVS tried with paper once but still it was quite dirty.

Later on, all folks in my car ( Wifey, PVS, Mitesh were happily snoring away) and i was driving with full concentration trying to see the road ahead.

But, i still managed to reach home ( Himayathnagar) 22kms away from your home in that crazy traffic after dropping off Mitesh a couple of kms in a different route and reached my parking lot at 8:30pm where a friend was waiting for me and i just hopped on to his car and took off for that other party and came home pretty late in the night.

Rider60 was behind me and i think he decided to drive slow and must have come into city a little later than all of us.

My odo reading at the end of the day was 298km

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th November 2008 at 14:00.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 14:28   #188
BHPian

just posting a few snaps to avoid repeats. ill post my write up later on guys cause the only words i can think of now is ............ NEXT TIME EVERYONE COMES WITH SWIMMING TRUNKS!! even if we are going for a game of ping pong,. was a blast though.here's my contribution towards the memoir.
Name:  P1010152 Medium.JPG
Views: 397
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  P1010158 Medium.JPG
Views: 384
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  P1010168 Medium.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  P1010170 Medium.JPG
Views: 391
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  P1010171 Medium.JPG
Views: 387
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  P1010174 Medium.JPG
Views: 394
Size:  104.4 KB

Name:  P1010177 Medium.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  P1010181 Medium.JPG
Views: 364
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  P1010188 Medium.JPG
Views: 368
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  P1010191 Medium.JPG
Views: 351
Size:  34.0 KB
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 14:32   #189
BHPian

Name:  P1010192 Medium.JPG
Views: 355
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  P1010204 Medium.JPG
Views: 358
Size:  108.0 KB

Name:  P1010220 Medium.JPG
Views: 350
Size:  80.1 KB

Name:  P1010215 Medium.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  P1010230 Medium.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  P1010232 Medium.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  P1010241 Medium.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  P1010242 Medium.JPG
Views: 357
Size:  61.4 KB

Name:  P1010244 Medium.JPG
Views: 360
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  P1010248 Medium.JPG
Views: 347
Size:  63.9 KB
Old 17th November 2008, 14:36   #190
BHPian

Name:  P1010249 Medium.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  P1010252 Medium.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  P1010253 Medium.JPG
Views: 317
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  P1010254 Medium.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  61.5 KB

Name:  P1010255 Medium.JPG
Views: 340
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  P1010256 Medium.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  26.1 KB

Name:  P1010259 Medium.JPG
Views: 325
Size:  28.9 KB

Name:  P1010267 Medium.JPG
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  P1010272 Medium.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  82.3 KB

Name:  P1010278 Medium.JPG
Size:  43.1 KB
Old 17th November 2008, 14:39   #191
BHPian

Name:  P1010283 Medium.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  P1010303 Medium.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  40.5 KB

Name:  P1010308 Medium.JPG
Views: 324
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  P1010309 Medium.JPG
Views: 319
Size:  28.6 KB

Name:  P1010313 Medium.JPG
Views: 324
Size:  110.4 KB

Name:  P1010314 Medium.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  76.4 KB

Name:  P1010316 Medium.JPG
Views: 317
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  P1010317 Medium.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  P1010320 Medium.JPG
Views: 318
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  P1010306 Medium.JPG
Views: 329
Size:  41.8 KB
Old 17th November 2008, 14:51   #192
BHPian

wooohooo! what a day!

It was my first Team-BHP meet/drive and I had a blast!

It was also my Vista's first long drive out of town (its run <3000 kms) and has made me look forward to more!

The preparation started saturday night when I filled the tank and check the air in the tyres. Yesterday I had got up at 6:15am and was out by 7:25 after packing 2 boiled eggs, a bottle of water, my contact lens kit (with spare glasses), a woolen beanie cap, a spare shirt and a towel.

Just before I drove off from home, I remembered to reset the Trip Meter "B" to 0. I joined Valiveti and GetSurya at Yatri Nivas and drove to the next meeting point near Maitrivanam.

Since we had time to kill we drove a little ahead to a "tiffin" center and had breakfast. In the meantime we were joined by Mobike (with missus), Absynthguzzler (with cousin), Naveen...and I dont remember who else joined us there....(am very bad with names. will have to meet a few more times for me to remember who is who).

From here, Naveen accompanied me in the Vista upto Bidar. The scene changed to the meet point@BHEL. spent sometime there waiting for every one to introduce themselves and for some people to have breakfast.

Around 9:15-9:30 we set off towards Bidar. We had started off as a convoy and in a few minutes, I found myself driving all alone! Everyone, being seasoned "highway-men" had started ripping at 100kmph+ and here I was sticking to around 80-90! I was not yet used to high speed driving and the car had only completed first service, so I didnt want to start ripping it all at once. all the while Naveen and I were talking about palio and cars in general and also about music genres. Incidentally both of us like hip hop/R&B a lot and started playing my CDs.

the rest had left us faaaaaaar behind and were nowhere to be seen. after a drive of an hour or so, we found the rest parked by the roadside under some trees. I too parked there and we joined them (i was glad for the much needed "biological break"). after clicking a few pictures, we moved on some distance and stopped at a Dhaba for tea, while waiting for rider60 to catch up.

more pictures were clicked. Theodore_ftw took my car for a test drive and we took the car a couple of kilometers ahead before turning back. btw, thank you for the nice comments Theodore!

At the dhaba we also met one Mr Arwar Ali Khan who had been travelling all over India non-stop since 1995! he's doing this to promote communal harmony and to prove that Indians are not communal at all and its the political machinery that causes all problems. He offered himself as the living proof of it since he is still travelling hale and hearty after leaving home with Rs. 300/- and 6 litres of petrol in his ancient scooter. He had been staying with families (of all religions, castes etc) through out his journey and speaking at colleges on the way. He is now on his way to Delhi where he will end his long journey on Jan 26th 2009 and get the President to release his travellogue. amazing man! it was a privilege to meet him and take photographs with him.

that done, we took the road to Bidar. very soon I found myself doing 100kmph! never expected it (Naveen clicked a pic of the speedo @100)!!!
We grouped together near a college at Bidar and decided where to go. soon we were driving through the crowded streets of Bidar towards the fort (this time in a convoy!).

Clicked a lot of pix at the fort, including that of the vehicles. Then with stomachs rumbling we drove in hunt of a restaurant and soon found ourselves at Hotel Mayura. commandeered an a/c room for ourselves and settled in with grub and drinks.

it was around 4:30 when we finished. then spent an hour viewing the ICE contest between Mobike and Rider60!

it was almost 5:30 when we finally started the return journey to Hyderabad. This time I drove alone. outside Bidar, for quite some distance 5 of us were in a neat convoy led by GetSurya's Scorpio. very soon, his scorpio was nowhere to be seen and the convoy dissipated with each man (and car) to himself!

I dont know who overtook whom but the high speed drive was fun.

I had a close call once and almost collided with a seven-seater. I was overtaking an Innova (at around 80kmph) when out of the darkness some distance away a seven-seater auto materialised (with what looked must have been a flickering candle for a headlamp). the guys in the auto were waving frantically for me to get out of the way and I pulled aside just in time next to the startled Innova and zoomed ahead. I was really a close call and I thanked my stars for keeping me and my car safe!

Lesson learnt by me: dont get carried away by high speeds in the darkness unless I am used to it.

I drove safely at around 75-80 after that and it took some time for the adrenaline to abate!

I reached BHEL at around 7:15pm and then reached home by 8:15 (thanks to the traffic). A tiring but satisfying end to a great day!

I had clicked around 90 pictures in my cam and would try to post them tonight.

The reading on the trip meter when I finally parked at home was 298.6 kms!

Down side: somewhere during the return journey, I lost a wheel cap (front left tyre). I have to buy a new one and have spoken to Autofin about it today. they said it will be available by thrusday or friday and would cost me around 500/-

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 17th November 2008 at 15:07.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 15:00   #193
BHPian

@Getsurya - Wondering where you disappeared during this photo shoot? I can understand devnull not being there as he was taking the snap!

Last edited by theodore_ftw : 17th November 2008 at 15:01. Reason: .
Old 17th November 2008, 15:04   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
Lesson learnt by me: dont get carried away by high speeds in the darkness unless I am used to it.
Actually this holds true for anyone who does not have sufficient 'highway' driving experience. And driving @ night makes it worse thanks to our 'high beam' enthusiasts who have no concern for others.
Old 17th November 2008, 15:12   #195
BHPian

Down side: somewhere during the return journey, I lost a wheel cap (front left tyre). I have to buy a new one and have spoken to Autofin about it today. they said it will be available by thrusday or friday and would cost me around 500/-[/quote]

@ctrlaltdel:- about time you upgrade your ride with alloy wheels ,tht should solve the problem of dropping wheel caps
Rajesh Rawal is offline   Reply With Quote