Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Closed Thread

Old 11th December 2008, 14:46   #181
Senior - BHPian

Well, after looking a few threads taking my name I decided to say hi to you all

Apologies to all those whom I had committed my presence for the drive, I couldnt make it due to a couple of personal commitments...hope that convinces..hehe!

Speaking about Elantra vs ohc VTEC, let me be very honest, both cars are capable of reaching similar top speeds with mild mods on them and provided the suspensions dont get too airborn on either. VTECs will attain that top speed a wee bit sooner though. From there on its only unforeseen break downs that can slow the cars down (No point arguing which car can hold on longer at 200kmph!), which is not predictable... I am considering both cars to be driven by better drivers and great roads prevail.

I wouldnt want to pull my car into this topic as it doesnt make too much sense comparing a race prepped car vs a peppy street drive. If you guys still insist, well reaching 200+kmph doesnt take too much time for me given a decent road. Problem, the car has rock hard suspension (made for drags purely) which makes the car prone to taking off the road at high speeds on bouncy roads hence I prefer being conservative and stick to 160kmph mostly...not that I like doing those speeds on public roads anyway.

Mclaren: I am too lazy to put up a thread on my car, will have some one do it for me soon. Let me know if you wana know anything in particular, I am completely open to sharing any info anyone may want... cheers:

Last edited by The Wolf : 11th December 2008 at 14:51.
Old 11th December 2008, 14:55   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Just went through this thread. Terrific gathering. Bangalore T-BHP rocks. And kudos to Rahul for managing this huge crowd.

I am disappointed that only a handful of y'all are posting when close to a hundred have met up & driven all the way. I think you guys have given them a scare, talking about mods & speeds & taunts etc. Should we start a new thread for this ?

And where are the photos ? There must have been at least 20-25 cameras in that group.
John! The drive was good and Rahul did a great job and definitely pictures were taken but not to that extent as in earlier meets.
Regarding many folks keeping mum, well ! there were a lot of newbies and definitely some might have been scared about the talk of mods and speeds. The best part is the knowledge these guys have and share but folks come out of the speed zones in this meet thread , will ya ?
As for the pics, I think they are all done posting here and that is the reason for those detours.
Old 11th December 2008, 15:01   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
That infact is the problem with most modded cars. You can't keep them going at pedal to metal for a long time unlike the RS (or other factory built highway cruisers with a good top end).
Hmm, not too much in agreement with you, its all about the set up you want, you can set one car for either a 1/4th mile, track, rally or highway. The mistake people make it setting their cars up for one and testing it in conflicting turf. Its like setting an off side field and bowling a leg stump line.... you get that?

Net, most cars with similar power to ratio can be set up to beat each other on similar turfs with rightful/senseful additions, deletions, mods...
Old 11th December 2008, 15:44   #184
BHPian

whoa this thread has become vtec vs elantra is it ? any ways peace guys . my car is nothing special just a normal vtec and i am an owner who loves driving it . i never wanted to pit my car against any other car but just commented on it . any ways i constantly maintained past 170's without any problems and after that i got an avg of 12.5 which is according to me respectable i guess

any ways all in all it was an awesome meet . thanks to rahul for the awesome g2g
Old 11th December 2008, 16:00   #185
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
If you were to ask me personally and abt my Vtec, I would say that I doubt if a Elantra in anyway can leave my car behind in such a way that my car remains a mere spec on its rear view mirror!

Like someone said, the elantra and the ohc are two cars designed differently and run differently.. one being a TC'd car and the other being a NA. We should not be comparing them.
Maybe you should drop by the quick meet sections or join us for a drive tomorrow night and find out .

Look Shrey, I wasn't the one who started this OHC vs Elantra. It would just help if you stopped bringing the famed OHC Vtec into every topic on the meet threads (most of which you are never a part of). We know you love the Vtec, but kindly let the topic of discussion here be related to cars/members that came for the drive. That said you can feel free to voice out your opinions on how the meets can be improved, if you would like to be a part of the future meet, or see some particular changes etc. Just refrain from trying to prove that OHC Vtec is the greatest car to be born on Indian soil on every single thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Waiting for Rudra sir's snaps..
Rudra took out his cam only once, that was to get the group photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Mclaren: I am too lazy to put up a thread on my car, will have some one do it for me soon. Let me know if you wana know anything in particular, I am completely open to sharing any info anyone may want... cheers:
Maybe you can ask Shrey to do this for you. Well to begin with I think all of us should put down a list of all the mods we have done to the car and narrate the difference they made through each stage. The mods that clicked, those that failed etc for the benefit of all. I am sure there are a lot of members who are eager to know what makes your car as fast as it is.

I truely respect Jitu in the fact that he puts out all the facts out there with no secrets about the mods done or parts used so that everyone can benefit from his experience. We need more of his kind, besides isn't that why we are all here? To share our experiences?

Quote:
Hmm, not too much in agreement with you, its all about the set up you want, you can set one car for either a 1/4th mile, track, rally or highway. The mistake people make it setting their cars up for one and testing it in conflicting turf. Its like setting an off side field and bowling a leg stump line.... you get that?
Ritesh, I get the point about the field setting. But this is a different ball game I guess. In my experience (whatever little it is), I am yet to see a NA 1.6L petrol motor built to be able to sustain speeds of close to 200kmph over a long duration (say 80-100 kms) without having to back off. I request you to try the same with a Magnum, Sonata, Elantra, RS. You will amazed to see the ease with which these cars can sustain such high speeds over a long duration without skipping a beat. For short bursts of thrill, I agree nothing can beat a modded zen, ohc, baleno.
Old 11th December 2008, 16:40   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ritesh, I get the point about the field setting. But this is a different ball game I guess. In my experience (whatever little it is), I am yet to see a NA 1.6L petrol motor built to be able to sustain speeds of close to 200kmph over a long duration (say 80-100 kms) without having to back off. I request you to try the same with a Magnum, Sonata, Elantra, RS. You will amazed to see the ease with which these cars can sustain such high speeds over a long duration without skipping a beat. For short bursts of thrill, I agree nothing can beat a modded zen, ohc, baleno.
Dude, you seem to completely miss out a point here, you are comparing 2 completely different engines, size, aspiration etc and trying to bring out a comparison which is not quite rational. As much as a 1.6L petrol NA has its strengths the 2L diesel TCd cars have their own. They are kings on their own turfs...also, in reverse perspective these smaller pocket rockets are quite a handful for these bigger mills on their own turfs if I may but not so true other way around. You see my point? Having said that, its meaningless comparing the two, I strongly deliberate that!!! Continuing to flow in your waters why not compare a 3L turbo diesel/pertol with elantra or RS and say that Elantra or RS cannot hold their speeds at 220kmph for long???

Last edited by The Wolf : 11th December 2008 at 16:41.
Old 11th December 2008, 17:57   #187
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
well it was an awesome drive . really hats off to rahul for organising such a huge meet up . all went on smoothly . well i was the one in the noisy vtec and was really happy the way the car was moving . as i was on stock suspension which is really sick i could not take curves at speeds upward of 50 but straights i managed some 200's quite easily . all this and i got an average of 2.5 kmpl . any ways i knew the elantras were fast but i doubt if they are "quick" . any ways thanks guys lets make this a event which comes every 6 months soo that we can meet up and have a good time

karthik
Dude Karthik, after driving your car on Monday evening, it was very irritating for me to drive the Santro back home. Yours was the first stock VTEC which I had driven and as I had told you earlier I was not able to make out the difference in 1.6 NXT stock and VTEC stock (because I was never used to stock VTEC) but after the headers and the side pipe with the added breather from the HKS your car was very…. Quick and fast.

I am able to manage the Sankey tank curve in my car at 80 kmph (Monday they were constructing new dividers in that curve), once you get the suspension work done even you will be able to negotiate the curves easily.
After we left from there I got two calls asking about your car and its sound
Old 11th December 2008, 18:01   #188
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Continuing to flow in your waters why not compare a 3L turbo diesel/pertol with elantra or RS and say that Elantra or RS cannot hold their speeds at 220kmph for long???
Actually, there have been a lot of times where some of the aforementioned cars have been able to keep up with 530d's upto 200kmph . The point I am trying to make is that even against a 3L TCed diesel these cars will catch up and continue to maintain those speeds for sufficiently "longer durations" than most of our petrol 1.6L Tced (let alone NA) cars too. I am not talking about capability of the engine running out of breadth at the top end (like you said a Magnum might not be able to hit 240 kmph like a 530D). I am strictly talking about the "duration" of time you can hold these speeds consistently without having to back off fearing blowing of engine. Not the ability of the cars to reach top speeds.
Old 11th December 2008, 19:57   #189
Senior - BHPian

Unhappy

oh my god! I thought this was a meet thread? ? ?
Old 11th December 2008, 20:01   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am strictly talking about the "duration" of time you can hold these speeds consistently without having to back off fearing blowing of engine. Not the ability of the cars to reach top speeds.
Dude, fear is a very subjective term. Maybe you feel your 1.6L engine might blow at a constant speed of 190, but not everybody thinks that way. When i was in Shrivz's Baleno he was belting it at 190kmph throughout the expressway and was pretty cool about it.

On the other hand i'v seen Elantra drivers here who are dead scared to even push it beyond 140kmph so does that mean the elantra engine will self destruct after 140?

NO!!

So lets not continue this any further. Each driver has his own comfort zone w.r.t vehicle speed and it doesn't always depend on what vehicle you drive. You give a M800 to a maniac, he'l keep it at max revvs all day long.

Shan2nu
Old 11th December 2008, 20:03   #191
BANNED

Quote:
Continuing to flow in your waters why not compare a 3L turbo diesel/pertol with elantra or RS and say that Elantra or RS cannot hold their speeds at 220kmph for long???
I drive a 3L turbo diesel but cannot say whether the above mentioned cars can hold 220 kph for long.

I am learning so much from the last few posts.
Old 11th December 2008, 20:16   #192
BHPian

Hi Rahul,

its not me who is blindly in love with the Ohc! I would put it as you're the one who hates the car like hell!!

Dude do some of us a favour and go through your previous posts and if possible please check mine as well.

My first post had nothing to do with you or ur Elantra, I was talking to Karthik and was joking about the "SPEEDO ERROR"

Then you jumped in and explained in detail how accurate Elantra's speedo is when compared to the GPS and how crappy the Vtec's speedo is when compared with the GPS!

After you did this, is when I narrated my experiences RELATED to SPEEDO ERROR.

NOT even once mentioning anything to do 200 or 190 or xyz kmph all day long or all night long! Or having a drag race or any sort of a race with any car! It was you who was narrating in detail what would have happened between an elantra and a vtec!

I have no idea what offended you so much!!

As far as me coming for a quick meet to check out the elantra, Well! I would love too, but it is just that I happen to be tied up with a lot of work of late and would be free only after the 20th of this month! After the 20th lets surely have a meet and get together!

This thread is seriously getting OT. I am out of it!

Peace,
Shrey

Quote:
Maybe you should drop by the quick meet sections or join us for a drive tomorrow night and find out .

Look Shrey, I wasn't the one who started this OHC vs Elantra. It would just help if you stopped bringing the famed OHC Vtec into every topic on the meet threads (most of which you are never a part of). We know you love the Vtec, but kindly let the topic of discussion here be related to cars/members that came for the drive. That said you can feel free to voice out your opinions on how the meets can be improved, if you would like to be a part of the future meet, or see some particular changes etc. Just refrain from trying to prove that OHC Vtec is the greatest car to be born on Indian soil on every single thread.
Old 11th December 2008, 20:27   #193
BHPian

Default This Bangy meet is still on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
No minutes - that would be pedestrian. Only seconds count (corroborated by various sources esp. Google / Youtube / Top Gear).

You really need to attend a few meets to figure out what goes on
When I read the reports and saw the pics & vids of the meet I felt depressed that I'd missed such a good event. But now as I read through the ongoing posts I'm getting a 'feel' of what the atmosphere must have been like at the meet. It's like I'm getting my minutes after all hrag sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
oh my god! I thought this was a meet thread? ? ?
Yes sir it's a meet thread alright and guess what?! The meet is still on! That way I feel the party broke up too soon, you guys really need to have been together for some more time! Next time a 2-day meet maybe? cheers:
Old 11th December 2008, 21:16   #194
BHPian

This thread has gone severly OT.
No point in comparing an Elantra with a Vtec.
A mad driver can go pedal to metal with any given car. Which car can sustain speeds in left to its state of tune.
If you running a set-up which is just short of conking, it will never last anyhow.
Cars being liquid cooled engines, with the right state of tune CAN sustain speeds. be it a Vtec or an Elantra.
More power means more heat. More heat means reliability issues.
But if you have worked around it by using the right fuel, ignition, etc the engine can remain still strong and maintain similar levels of performance.
McLaren, Quite frankly looks like you are mixing up your experiences with your Baleno in this context of performance and consistent performance. Rather prolonged performance.
Hope we can leave things here and continue with the actual intention of this thread.

Peace
Joel
Old 11th December 2008, 21:54   #195
BHPian

Thanks Rahul for the great meet, sorry for the delay in posting caught up with loads of work .

My wife and me had a great drive and it was fun meeting all the T-Bhpians. Though I couldn't catch up with all the T-Bhpians that day, I defintely had a great time with VJ,Abhi, Karthik, Nikhil, Vasu, Jassi and off course the lapso Chikoo..

Loved the snacks too, peanuts and finger chips (yummy!)

Thanks again and hope to see many more Bhpians on similar meets,

Cheers!
Closed Thread