Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2008, 21:27   #1
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default Bangalore TBHP meet in the jungle @ KGudi, BR Hills: Post your confirmations here.

Been planning this for a while now. Some of us are planning to visit BR Hills during the 2nd week of January. That is the 10th & 11th Jan 2009. All those who are interested are welcome to join us. Feel free to bring your wife/kids/parents along.

I am trying to get acco arranged in the forest guest house for some of us. The families can be accommodated at Jungle Lodges as you get better facilities there. The trip will be mainly to get a glimpse of wild life, so kindly request you all to read up on how to react when you spot animals, learn to respect the wild life and follow all the rules in the jungle. I shall put up a to do/not to do list as the trip dates nears.

For now, we need to act fast because the resorts in these places usually have a lot of demand and are booked well in advance. If you delay your confirmation, we might not get acco for all of us. So all those interested kindly confirm asap. Thanks.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 8th December 2008 at 21:29.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 22:09   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 448
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

I am tentatively IN! +1
Would prefer forest guest house(if its in KGundi).

Regards,
Mohit
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 22:35   #3
BHPian
 
thalavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 389
Thanked: 62 Times
Default

Don't make it too big a meet folks. Let the animals have some quiet day rather than encounter too much traffic.
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 13:44   #4
BHPian
 
chandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: sakleshpur
Posts: 250
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Don't make it too big a meet folks. Let the animals have some quiet day rather than encounter too much traffic.
I second that.Infact,I would suggest Rahul to change the venue as BR hills is still the most unspoilt of all jungles in Karnataka.Imagine some 8-10 cars or even more, revving their sports exhausts in pristine forest areas
chandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 14:01   #5
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
I second that.Infact,I would suggest Rahul to change the venue as BR hills is still the most unspoilt of all jungles in Karnataka.Imagine some 8-10 cars or even more, revving their sports exhausts in pristine forest areas
Chandan, thalavoy, to begin with I doubt we are going to be taking any cars with sports exhausts because there are hardly any left. Secondly, the few of us planning to tag along were indeed thinking of taking along as less cars as possible, mostly diesels. Thirdly, we just wanted company of those BHPians who would really want to be out there in the wild and appreciate god's creations. This meet is not one of those more the merrier ones, its to get together all those (I can assure you the number is less) who have been wanting to do such a trip but were unable to for many reasons for a couple of years now.

I appreciate all your concerns, but I think its time some of you stop getting so judgmental about members creating havoc wherever we go. We have been to many places like Masingudi, Silent Valley, Chamrajnagar before and I can assure you that these guys were perhaps as well behaved as any ardent nature lover would be in a jungle.

My sincere request to all members is to use this thread to confirm their participation if they are "really interested", kindly read my first post wherein I have clearly mentioned that we will be obeying all the rules one has to in the jungle. Those who aren't kindly refrain from posting unnecessary comments. Sorry if I sounded rude, but I know there are a lot of members here who would like to shoot birds, animals etc with their cameras and not creating any nuisance to anyone. So lets respect that fact.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 17:42   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
iceman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: melbourne/bangalore
Posts: 1,958
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Agree with RAHUL, If going please post confirmations and stick to rules. Lets not make this 10 pages long about why not to go and who not to come
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 18:51   #7
BHPian
 
chandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: sakleshpur
Posts: 250
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Chandan, thalavoy, to begin with I doubt we are going to be taking any cars with sports exhausts because there are hardly any left. Secondly, the few of us planning to tag along were indeed thinking of taking along as less cars as possible, mostly diesels. Thirdly, we just wanted company of those BHPians who would really want to be out there in the wild and appreciate god's creations. This meet is not one of those more the merrier ones, its to get together all those (I can assure you the number is less) who have been wanting to do such a trip but were unable to for many reasons for a couple of years now.

I appreciate all your concerns, but I think its time some of you stop getting so judgmental about members creating havoc wherever we go. We have been to many places like Masingudi, Silent Valley, Chamrajnagar before and I can assure you that these guys were perhaps as well behaved as any ardent nature lover would be in a jungle.

My sincere request to all members is to use this thread to confirm their participation if they are "really interested", kindly read my first post wherein I have clearly mentioned that we will be obeying all the rules one has to in the jungle. Those who aren't kindly refrain from posting unnecessary comments. Sorry if I sounded rude, but I know there are a lot of members here who would like to shoot birds, animals etc with their cameras and not creating any nuisance to anyone. So lets respect that fact.
Rahul,you seem to get worked up for a couple of members showing their concern for wildlife & nature.Anyways,I will "refrain from making unnecessary comments" ,if you think voicing our opinion is so.
Have a great meet & hopefully the forest,birds & animals appalaude your efforts.
chandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 19:23   #8
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Rahul,you seem to get worked up for a couple of members showing their concern for wildlife & nature.Anyways,I will "refrain from making unnecessary comments" ,if you think voicing our opinion is so.
Have a great meet & hopefully the forest,birds & animals appalaude your efforts.
Chandan, I am certainly not getting worked up at all. Its just that we have had this argument on several threads now and most of these comments come from those members who have never been to such meets till date but keep assuming certain things about the way BHPians handle themselves in general.

I would request some of you to come forward & attend such meets, see what happens there and if you feel any of us misbehaved kindly point it out or feel free to check all the threads around the meet section, we had one at Masingudi, one at Silent Valley, and a recent one at Chamrajnagar and see if we behaved in any way different to what you perhaps would have. I appreciate your concern for wildlife & nature, but at the same time what makes you all think we aint responsible and concerned for the same? My only request is to not be so judgmental about people you hardly have known. I am sure thats not too much to ask for.

That said, you are most welcome to join us for this trip.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 19:40   #9
BHPian
 
chandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: sakleshpur
Posts: 250
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Chandan, I am certainly not getting worked up at all. Its just that we have had this argument on several threads now and most of these comments come from those members who have never been to such meets till date but keep assuming certain things about the way BHPians handle themselves in general.

I would request some of you to come forward & attend such meets, see what happens there and if you feel any of us misbehaved kindly point it out or feel free to check all the threads around the meet section, we had one at Masingudi, one at Silent Valley, and a recent one at Chamrajnagar and see if we behaved in any way different to what you perhaps would have. I appreciate your concern for wildlife & nature, but at the same time what makes you all think we aint responsible and concerned for the same? My only request is to not be so judgmental about people you hardly have known. I am sure thats not too much to ask for.

That said, you are most welcome to join us for this trip.
I'm not saying you people are not concerned about nature & wildlife,I'm plain concerned about the number of cars that may turn up.What if it turns out to be another Yelagiri meet ? How are you planning to restrict the crowd ? If you plan to stay in Jungle lodges,it's fine as it can handle upto 30 guests.But, if you're planning on the forest guest house,think about it .
chandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 19:49   #10
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
I'm not saying you people are not concerned about nature & wildlife,I'm plain concerned about the number of cars that may turn up.What if it turns out to be another Yelagiri meet ? How are you planning to restrict the crowd ? If you plan to stay in Jungle lodges,it's fine as it can handle upto 30 guests.But, if you're planning on the forest guest house,think about it .
You answered the question yourself. Jungle Lodges has just 4 log huts left. Even in the forest guest house there is a limit to the number of people who can be accommodated. So this will be purely on a first come first serve basis Chandan. I doubt it will be anything like the Yelagiri trip for:
1. People normally don't prefer going to jungles, they prefer hill stations, beaches etc.
2. Very few venture out on 1+ day trips on TBHP these days.
3. A lot of people are scared of wild animals and would never want to take a risk with their lives or cars.
4. Not many people actually know that getting out into the wild like this is the best way to get away from the stressful lives in our cities.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 11:34   #11
BHPian
 
inder_s1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 238
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Hi Rahul,

I couldnt make it to Yelagiri as I retured home prev day @1Am and was exhausted driving whole day. Sorry for that.

Please count me in for this meet + 1 < My better half>
inder_s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 11:45   #12
BHPian
 
redrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 545
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

Some wildlife tips by Harrie/Hellstar to help us ride along in the forests so that we are well prepared, most of you might know this but still an eye opener for few,

Wildlife in South India and what to do when you encounter them;

Elephants - This powerful gentle gaint can turn ruthless suddenly and can wreck havoc like no ones business. You have reason to fear and take precaution's. These gaints also cause the most number of deaths each year.

Elephants have a very keen smell and can sniff you out if you are up wind. Keep in mind that these are very intelligent beings too. They are usually found in herds and are very protective about their little ones. Woe betide anyone who harms a little one - knowingly or unkowningly.

The ones that are found separate - Lone tuskers are the most dangerous of the lot. They are usually in a rage and attack anything they see.

Bisons - Ok strictly speaking these are not bisons but the smaller variety called Gaurs. These one tonne beasts are very gentle. They stick to eating the grass and care about nothing else. You can stop and take photos of them provided you are at a reasonable distance. But always stay in the car. Keep the engine running and be ready to flee.

Deers - You can typically find the spotted variety which are normal size, the unspotted ones which can grow as big as a big calf. Nothing much to say about these humble little things.

Boar - A humble herbivore which keeps to its own business. Usually scamper when they see humans. But will attack ruthlessly when provoked. Since we arent Steve Irwin, better consider them hostile and stay away.

Predators - Most of them are very shy and wary about us humans. They hardly get in sight of us or wander near the roads. What you can see normally is leopards and at times the elusive panthers. Tigers are usually found only in the interiors and that too not so readily. But still dont risk getting out of the car in the night - you might never know.

Wild dogs - These are the most cunning, ruthless, savage predators that you can find. They hunt in packs and are very cunning. These are very much present in our forests and in pretty good numbers too. They look exactly like a street dog, but dont be fooled.

Bears - Not the cute and cuddly kind. You might never run into them unless you are trekking through the forests. These are very absent minded creatures and will start chasing you. Half way through they tend to forget what they are doing adn walk away. But they maul people to death. So take care when trekking.


Driving through forests

* Driving alone is potentially dangerous esp. if you dont know the roads all that well.Kepp some company if required,regular wild life visitors prefer to ride alone and dont want the disturbance of company.
* Drive at no more than 60 kmph. This way you get to enjoy the drive and also watch out for wildlife.
* Keep your eyes peeled out. Dont just look at the roads. Keep your speed at a comfortable pace and scan the forests on both sides
* Never speed or take corners at speed. You never know what awaits you around the corner. Elephants and bisons dont take kindly to being bumped from behind
* If its in the night, keep your speed really less. Alternate you high and low beams to catch any movements. Bisons and elephants are all but invisible during the night. More so with the elephants which are visible only from about 10-15 feet away
* It pays to know what the elephant / deer corridors are. These animals mostly cross the roads at fixed locations.


Encounter with wildlife


Elephants, Bisons

* If they are in the middle of the road, stop your car a good 20-30 feet in front.
* Switch off your headlights, music system and roll up your windows
* Dont make a noise or get out of the car.
* MOST IMPORTANTLY - NO CAMERA FLASHES
* If the animal thinks you are not a threat they usualy continue with their work and move off the road pretty soon


Deers, Wild boar

* These are pretty harmless creatures unless provoked.
* Switch off your headlights and they will run away pretty soon
* You can risk a camera flash if its a deer. But no getting out of the car whatsoever.
* When provoked, deers are know to kick cars so hard that you can bust a radiator.
* Similarly with wild boars. These are very ferocious when provoked and can maul a human to death.


Signs to Watch out for

* A single elephant trumpetting loudly - Stay away at all costs. Turn and run for it if you have to. These are the human killers that can wreck cars before you can say ABC
* Bisons fighting. You can at times see two fully grown males locking their horns over a female ( Happens even with animals ). Dont stop to take photos. Just continue driving. A Nat geo award winning photo is not worth the risk


Genral Donts

* Dont stop your car to relive yourself - esp. in the night no matter what
* No booze parties / picnics in the middle of the forest. Animals are very territorial beings and dont take kindly to intruders.
* Dont litter, light fires, throw plastic bags

Some more
Do's

1. Keep Calm and quite
2. Keep you distance i.e. enough for your to back up and run away in your car , if the situation gets ugly. atleast 20 feet from the closest animal.
3. Drive slow where markings of wildlife crossing are displayed
4. Turn off your ICE , especially the SUBs as elephants are very sensitive to low frequency sounds.
5. Keep your engine idling and NOT revving
6. Take photographs but only WITHOUT the FLASH
7. Keep looking out for tell tale signs of shining eyes in the dark if you are crossing in the night. Elephants become almost invisible in the dark till you are too close
8. Try to Follow a bigger vehicles like trucks if possible especially if you do not know your way around comfortably.
9. When you stop for wildlife on the road Switch off your main headlamps and turn on your running lights so that the lights do not irritate the animals.
10. if the Elephant looks at you and flares its ears fully and lifts his tail ( if you can see that hehehe ) , then he is about to charge , run if you can or hold your ground and no screaming or turning on lights or any such experiments and it just might pass.

Absolute DONT'S

1. Do not put your light on high beams. Believe me the animals do not let you pass if you do the dim and bright routine , rather you run the risk of getting run over by them .
2. No honking.
3. Do not tailend the previous vehicle as the guy in the car ahead might get some stupid ideas when he reaches near the animals and you just might have to foot the bill for his foolishness.
4. Do not approach a lone tusker, they are the worst kind outcasts from the herds and very very un-predictable.
5. Keep your distance from a Mother and child they are very protective and have been known to attack with a vengeance if you get too near the kid , typically would stay close of its mommy's hind quarters. But then you do have ocassional curious ones running out on the road to sniff at the cars.
6. Do not exit your vehicle at any costs especially if you are in a WLS. No not even for a leak i might prove to be very costly .

Source: Harrie/hellstar [T-Bhp.com]have put up these info on one of the threads on wildlife on team-bhp.com.

Last edited by redrage : 10th December 2008 at 11:46.
redrage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 12:01   #13
Jay
BHPian
 
Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 819
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
All those who are interested are welcome to join us. Feel free to bring your wife/kids/parents along.

The families can be accommodated at Jungle Lodges as you get better facilities there.
My friend i'm afraid you cant take all who are interested along with you. I think its risky to say all those who are interested are welcome to join us.
First you need to confirm the number of rooms available there and depending on that you need to decide on the number of people. Mind you, the Jungle lodges are usually booked well in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
Imagine some 8-10 cars or even more, revving their sports exhausts in pristine forest areas
Those roads are not meant for racing my friend, so no question of revving of sports exhausts... Would suggest SUV's to go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
This meet is not one of those more the merrier ones, its to get together all those (I can assure you the number is less) who have been wanting to do such a trip but were unable to for many reasons for a couple of years now.
How can you assure that the number is less ? what if the number is more ? how will you accommodate all or how can you ask the others not to come ? Just asking because i'm curious thats all, don't get offended .
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 12:25   #14
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
My friend i'm afraid you cant take all who are interested along with you. I think its risky to say all those who are interested are welcome to join us.
First you need to confirm the number of rooms available there and depending on that you need to decide on the number of people. Mind you, the Jungle lodges are usually booked well in advance.
I mentioned it in my previous post that all those who are interested can give their confirmation and booking will be done of first come first basis. I have spoken to the Jungle Lodges guys and in order to book the rooms we need to know how many people are interested in coming first right?

Quote:
How can you assure that the number is less ? what if the number is more ? how will you accommodate all or how can you ask the others not to come ? Just asking because i'm curious thats all, don't get offended .
Well, I have spoken to a lot of members and very few have shown keen interest. Like I said, we can accommodate as many people as Jungle Lodges or a guest house can take. We will have reservations based on first come first basis. It wont be like one of the other drive meets where anyone can join in at the last moment. Once the schedule, plan etc are finalized members will be required to make advance payments for lodging etc immediately.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 12:36   #15
Jay
BHPian
 
Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 819
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
in order to book the rooms we need to know how many people are interested in coming first right?
That'll be the case when you have to go somewhere where you have plenty places available to book, here you have only the jungle lodges and the forest guest house so you could have told them that there are many people who are willing to come and based on the number of rooms available you would like to confirm the number. I'm not asking you to book the rooms dude, am asking you to find out how many are available so that members on this forum can know as to how many can be accommodated and based on that you can get quick confirmations...
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team BHP Foodie Meet: 17th Jan 2009 Post confirmations here frankmehta The Team-BHP Meet Section 68 5th January 2010 15:42
Tata Nano allotments this Week ! EDIT - TBhpians post your confirmations here akhilesh51 The Indian Car Scene 68 23rd July 2009 13:02
MMSC trackday on April 5th 2009, Post your confirmations here binz Indian Motorsport 402 6th April 2009 12:05
Bangalore: TBHP drive to Yelagiri in December 2008! Kindly post confirmations here! mclaren1885 The Team-BHP Meet Section 323 7th December 2008 22:09
Weekend Discounted package to KGudi Jungle Lodges available-Anyone interested? Lukeskywalker Route / Travel Queries 0 30th August 2007 22:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks