Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 23rd May 2005, 10:59   #1
BHPian

Default Kerala beckons

Hi,
If anybody is planning to come to cochin/kumarakom/munnar,just shout.I shall arrange everything .

Last edited by artofzen : 23rd May 2005 at 11:03.
artofzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2005, 11:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen
Hi,
If anybody is planning to come to cochin/kumarakom/munnar,just shout.I shall arrange everything .
How are the roads? Once I had to arrange a transport for someone from Mysore to Telacherry. And the travel company told me they will only arrange a SUV (Sumo/Qualis/Scorpio) since cars can't deal with those roads.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2005, 11:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
How are the roads? Once I had to arrange a transport for someone from Mysore to Telacherry. And the travel company told me they will only arrange a SUV (Sumo/Qualis/Scorpio) since cars can't deal with those roads.
Dude

The roads in Kerala are better than most elsewhere, at least for the last 5 years since the current surface transport minister took charge...no offence meant, but the sumo/qualis/scorpio was probably recommended for the part of the route upto Iritty. I drove from Cochin to Bangalore via Wynad/Kutta/Siddhapur in February and the road was good upto Kutta. Thereafter it required a sumo/qualis/scorpio.

Come down and have a blast. The roads are great, but watch out for the bus drivers - they are suicidal and drive as though everyone else on the road is invisible.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2005, 11:46   #4
BHPian

Totally agree Steroid. Enter Kerala, roads are really good. But you cannot expect wider roads everywhere.
sivadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2005, 15:17   #5
BANNED

I did Chennai - Munnar - Chennai over the Good Friday weekend in my Indica LSi. I entered Kerala from Theni and maybe the Munnar area alone is bad but there is a marked difference in road quality.

The road from Devikulam to Munnar was blocked when I went there but from what I've heard that stretch is not great. Puppara - Rajakaadu - Kunjitanni - Chithirapuram is pretty average.

Munnar to Maraiyoor is quite good although the stretch through the Chinnar sanctuary is atrocious.

And yes, in the hills, the buses and jeeps turn corners as if they they expect nobody else to be on the roads!

hrag
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2005, 15:31   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
And yes, in the hills, the buses and jeeps turn corners as if they they expect nobody else to be on the roads!hrag
They do that everywhere. I was doing the Sakaleshpura-Mangalore Ghat section last month and the road was in excellent shape. However, the oncoming traffic was very disappointing. So many times when I was doing fast S and U curves keeping to my side, I came face to face with dumb idiot of drivers on Jeeps and Buses and truck doing the same on the wrong side of the road.

I simply hate those idiots who overtake in blind curves, risking their pathetic lives and the lives of other innocent law abiding drivers.

It is a good thing that the Baleno has excellent brakes...

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd May 2005 at 15:43.
Old 24th May 2005, 10:56   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats a very wise travel company! I did the same route on saturday... the potholes were so deep and huge i had to stop before every stretch of potholed road and think for about 5 seconds which way to go that would not involve the car getting stuck in one of those craters!!
Worst was that every stretch of craters would start right after a bend and the road upto that bend would be totally smooth.

Cheers
Amitoj
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 11:20   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
I did the same route on saturday... the potholes were so deep and huge i had to stop before every stretch of potholed road and think for about 5 seconds which way to go that would not involve the car getting stuck in one of those craters!!
Is this all along or just a particular stretch? Please let me know between what towns if possible.
Old 24th May 2005, 11:50   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is this all along or just a particular stretch? Please let me know between what towns if possible.
The worst is between Virajpet and Iritty.

Amitoj
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 12:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

The original question was whether anybody was interested in travelling to Cochin-Kumarakom-Munnar. The Medikeri-Thalassery route is a combination of state highways and bye-roads, which would definitely not be the route you take from Bangalore in any case.

There are three possible options for travelling from B'lore to Cochin:

1. Regular: Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Salem-Coimbatore-Palghat-Cochin

There is a slight variation in this route if you choose to skip Salem and go via Mettur straight to Bhavani.

2. Scenic:

Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundalpet-Sultans Battery-Kalpetta-Calicut-Trichur-Cochin

The downside here is the heavy traffic on the section from Calicut to Cochin.

3. Very Scenic:

Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundalpet - Bandipur - Mudumalai - Masinagudi - Ooty - Coimbatore - Palghat - Cochin

Highly recommended.

From Cochin the roads to Kumarakom and Munnar are first class. I particularly like the road to Munnar which has some fast sweeping curves on a great surface, roadside waterfalls, tea estates, blah blah blah.

Do it during the rains - it gets even better.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2005, 10:55   #11
BHPian

Wow,
Wish a trip steeroid mentioned in route 3 works out.. It'l be one great drive.. All you guys are going to love the place and there is no doubt about that..
Bangy guys, work it out.. And hey the Chennai guys too can meet up.. It would be really super kool if this works out..
vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 22:40   #12
BHPian

Default Bad mountain roads on Kunnur-Blore route

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Thats a very wise travel company! I did the same route on saturday... the potholes were so deep and huge i had to stop before every stretch of potholed road and think for about 5 seconds which way to go that would not involve the car getting stuck in one of those craters!!
Worst was that every stretch of craters would start right after a bend and the road upto that bend would be totally smooth.

Cheers
Amitoj
I just had a similar experience yesterday (6-Oct-06) when I was driving from Taliparam (Kannur) to Bangalore via Irutti-Virajpet route. The dark and humid forests and the rains made the roads a death trap. Huge boulders with sharp upward pointing edges make you pray for your tyres.

To make matters worse, I saw labourers in some parts dig up mud from the road sides and put in over these boulders / rocks. Bcoz of this, I almost lost control of my vehicle once or twice.

I was climbing and climbing for close to 2 hours. I had a Versa with LT tyres - my learned friends tell me they are 'Light Truck' tyres - so better equipped to handle such roads. But I would never go that route again. I read in this site today that I could have used Mananthavadi-Sultan Battery route-Gundalpet route. Reading that, I kicked myself today that I should have checked this site yday before starting off on the journey. Lesson leant :-)
pravin_sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2006, 00:53   #13
BANNED

The roads are all a mess after the rains this year! But the NH parts are still quite good.
This thread is quite an old one. So, I'm not sure if Artofzen still has time to do what he had offered a year ago. Please confirm Mr. ARTOFZEN!!!!
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2006, 14:39   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Palghat - Kovai road is damn bad. NH frm Cochin to Tvm is being repaired .
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2006, 14:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Palghat - Kovai road is damn bad. NH frm Cochin to Tvm is being repaired .
Wow... looks like the next meet is not too far away...
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote