Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 27th November 2012, 11:47   #46
BHPian

Arrow Re: Any BHPians in Germany?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
That was indeed helpful, thanks ! BTW, were you asked to go to the Straßenverkehrsamt during the application process?

Ok, why I asked is because - I inquired at a local "Fahrschule" and the guy told me that I will need to go to the "Straßenverkehrsamt"; they will check my Indian license and advice how much theory and practical classes I need to attend, then I will need to go to the Fahrschule with this note and register there. Then starts the driving school part. The Straßenverkehrsamt also charges a fees for the same I am told. After listening to this, I felt something is fishy (said "Auf Wiedersehen ") and then quietly walked out.

This guy gives me a quote of ~ 1100 Euros, I know someone here who has done all this for ~850, so I will find out more before proceeding on this. There is a quote with me from the Fahrschule, which I will scan and upload sometime later.

Spike
Hello Spike,

I was not asked for any evaluation from the Straßenverkehrsamt. My route was simple:

1. FirstAid certificate + Eye Test + Indian DL Translation from ADAC --> to the Landratsamt
2. Registration at the nearest FahrSchule, who in-turn contacted Landratsamt and linked my application for Theory + practical tests
3. Self-Preparation --> to take the Theory test in English (scored 100% on first attempt)
3. Trainer at the Fahrschule decided how many practical classes are required. My Trainer is known for making his Foreign students "un-learn" their home-country driving skills and newly re-learn the German way of driving. He had several references from fellow-Indians too. Hence, it became tedious + expensive due to the number of classes.
4. If and only if the trainer is convinced, you get to sit for the Practical Test with the TUV Engineer - who issues the "Completion / Failed" certificate on-the-spot. If this is succesful too, you can exchange this certificate with the actual DL at the Landratsamt on the same day.

The total cost for my German DL was around 1200 Euros for the whole process.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Cheers!!
M
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:43   #47
Zed
BHPian

Default Re: Any BHPians in Germany?

This thread has been Inactive for a while. AK - r u around ? Long time no hear.
Here's wishing you all you folks the very best for the year. I propose a T-BHP Duetschland meet in 2013. Any takers ?
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 20:56   #48
Senior - BHPian

I am in, but would love to participate on dates which do not crash with my exams. When and where do you guys plan to meet up?

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2013, 21:24   #49
Zed
BHPian

No Concrete plans for now Spike. Lets try and get the roll call going to see who's interested. We can then discuss possible dates and locations. Im based south of Stuttgart near lake constance. Munich \ Stuttgart \ Frankfurt are central options I can think of. I can pick\drop anyone that's interested and in my vicinity\en route to these places. Let us know your exam dates are and we will plan accordingly.
Old 3rd January 2013, 23:27   #50
Senior - BHPian

Exam dates are scattered over 3 months, 2 each in Jan (11, 25), Feb (8, 13),March (12,15) IIRC. In between I can find out time if there are no exigencies / work.

Spike
Old 4th January 2013, 06:55   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exam dates are scattered over 3 months, 2 each in Jan (11, 25), Feb (8, 13),March (12,15) IIRC. In between I can find out time if there are no exigencies / work.

Spike
How are you doing Spikey?
Enjoy Deutschland!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 13:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
How are you doing Spikey?
Enjoy Deutschland!
Seeing your post here, for a moment I thought you have also reached Germany. I am doing great Shankarji.

You learn something in class, few hours later you get to try it on the car / prototype and then a few days / weeks later you start getting paid to do that job, what more can one ask for? This place is a mecca for budding Automotive Engineers and I'm loving it. And not to mention the other things around.

Wishing you a very happy new year !

Spike
Old 4th January 2013, 16:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seeing your post here, for a moment I thought you have also reached Germany. I am doing great Shankarji.

You learn something in class, few hours later you get to try it on the car / prototype and then a few days / weeks later you start getting paid to do that job, what more can one ask for? This place is a mecca for budding Automotive Engineers and I'm loving it. And not to mention the other things around.

Wishing you a very happy new year !

Spike
You too mate!
Germany is still the best place for engineering, especially Automotive I think.
My Uncle studied there in Stuttgart and my Dad in law too did a course there...
All their stories are amazing...
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 17:51   #54
BHPian

Hello Folks

How did you folks here make inroads into the job sector in Germany ?

Did you get head-hunted in India, or apply through a German board like Jobstairs.de ?
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2013, 19:34   #55
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Hello Folks

How did you folks here make inroads into the job sector in Germany ?

Did you get head-hunted in India, or apply through a German board like Jobstairs.de ?
I was working with the same organization in India. This made the process to obtain necessary visas / work permit reasonably smooth.
The wording in my work contract and job description - thanks to my HR folks here - presented to the German Authorities resulted in my work permit (and a dependent visa for the better half) being granted at a time when I did not speak a word of German.
Old 2nd October 2013, 22:43   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post

The wording in my work contract and job description - thanks to my HR folks here - presented to the German Authorities resulted in my work permit (and a dependent visa for the better half) being granted at a time when I did not speak a word of German.
What was written in your work contract ? I am asking you as I myself am reaching that stage. I speak German quite fluent though as I've been studying here for the past 13 months. You can send me a pm if you do not like mentioning it here.
Thanks
Spike
Old 9th October 2013, 00:03   #57
BHPian

The process is not difficult if there is someone who wants to employee you. They basically have to prove to the Arbeitsamt that they do not have a EU citizen with your skill sets and that you are a highly skilled worker/ expert in your industry. That is the way it was back in 2007 I doubt it would have changed too much. Speaking German or not is not a criteria when you enter as highly skilled worker.
senindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 13:16   #58
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
What was written in your work contract ? I am asking you as I myself am reaching that stage. I speak German quite fluent though as I've been studying here for the past 13 months. You can send me a pm if you do not like mentioning it here.
Thanks
Spike
I guess the previous post answers your question.
Your German language skills are your biggets asset apart from your edu qualifications. SOme organizations dont even bother with language course certificates and so on - If you do well in an Interview thats about all they care.

Typically the first work permit (visa) that is granted will be linked to the oranization that employs you. And it stays that way - or so Ive been told - for three years after which you could get an unrestricted work visa enabling you to switching jobs.

If you have any specific questions feel free to send me a pm. While im no expert on the subject id be happy to help in whatever way I can.
Old 24th January 2014, 23:38   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friends,

This is Jignesh from Mumbai recently deputed at Germany by my organization. I am a software professional & work for Enterprise Software Solutions.

I am currently based at a hotel in Mainz near Frankfurt & will look for a accommodation in Mainz / Wiesbaden. My family - wife & daughter aer expected to join me here next month.

I anyone here based in or around Mainz or Frankfurt?

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2014, 23:43   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Friends,

This is Jignesh from Mumbai recently deputed at Germany by my organization. I am a software professional & work for Enterprise Software Solutions.

I am currently based at a hotel in Mainz near Frankfurt & will look for a accommodation in Mainz / Wiesbaden. My family - wife & daughter aer expected to join me here next month.

I anyone here based in or around Mainz or Frankfurt?

Thanks,
Welcome to Germany....

I am in Cologne.
So may not be of your direct help, but feel free to get in touch / PM me, if required.
animdas is offline   Reply With Quote