Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 8th September 2009, 22:09   #151
Team-BHP Support

Guys, i am extremely sorry as i wont be able to make it tomorrow as have a family party that i cannot miss. However, i am game for Thursday.

If a majority turns up tomorrow, do carry on with the meet

Btw, my plan for tonight too got cancelled as have an unexpected office call, going through some tough times in life
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 12:08   #152
BHPian

so, is there any meet tonight in Greater Hyderabad?
hyd_traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 12:41   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
so, is there any meet tonight in Greater Hyderabad?
Unfortunately i am out for tonight meet. However, send a PM to Pulsar56 who eats haleem EVERYDAY . And, i am sure a few of you can hook up and have fun
Old 10th September 2009, 21:34   #154
Senior - BHPian

Now, I too am a lucky guy. Yes, did four different Haleem's in 2 days and more in store as I have one last day to go before I leave again until the end of this month.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 15:48   #155
Senior - BHPian

"tum longa edhar udhar ghum ke kha pi rahe ho.
uper se pictura bhi post nahi karte ho.
aisa kyu miya?
longa ke dil jala rahe ho."

"agale samay dher saare pictura nikalo aur post karo, miya.
"
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 16:15   #156
Senior - BHPian

Thank You ashish for waking up this lazy thread!

Folks, seeing the list of confirmations/cancellations here, I have already planned for Charminar area visit tomorrow night. (Saturday)

Ravvendra, Hillram, Avi, RR, Arun are already in the confirmed list!

Anyone else joining?
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 16:54   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post

Folks, seeing the list of confirmations/cancellations here, I have already planned for Charminar area visit tomorrow night. (Saturday)

Anyone else joining?
Nazim Bhai, why Saturday.
zen91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 16:58   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post
Nazim Bhai, why Saturday.
So that we can continue late in the night and not worry about reporting to work in the morning! (most of the folks work on Saturday including you Brajesh ji!)

Mihiran's tests will be over by tomm. and ravendra will also be able to join.
Old 11th September 2009, 21:22   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post

Anyone else joining?
Thanks for the initiative, I was getting withdrawal symptoms from not having haleem for so long. Count me in!

Saturday night is ideal as we can start early and end late!

Confirmed list:

Pulsar
Ravveendrra
Hillram
Mobike
Absynthguzzler
Rajesh Rawal

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 18:08   #160
Senior - BHPian

Update: We are starting for the meet tonight after 7:00 PM.

As of now, confirmed list is
Pulsar56
Ravvenendrra
Absynthguzzler

Anyone else joining?
Old 12th September 2009, 23:05   #161
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the call Raveendra.But for my prior dinner rendez vous,i would have loved to be at the meet today.Hope you has a great evening.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 00:46   #162
Senior - BHPian

The crowds have started as the junta is out in full strength doing their shopping before Idd.

We hit Nayab and had a plate of haleem each (Rs.65/- per plate). I rate the haleem to be on par or just a little superior to the one at Shah Ghouse, this is more delicately spiced than the one at Shah Ghouse which is more robust in the spice department.

Once through with the haleem at Nayab, Shahdaab beckoned and we quickly walked there through the jammed traffic. Shahdaab was packed and we had to wait for a table. The stewards efficiently managed the crowds and guided patrons to tables as soon as an appropriate one was vacant without any reservation list, coupons or other gee-gaws, these guys never heard of six-sigma or ISO or any other high funda management stuff but did a brilliant job.

Realising that trips to this part of the world to savour what is definitely the best haleem in town would be impossible in the last week before Idd, we ordered for one plate of haleem, two rotis, one dum ka mutton and one mutton biryani + 3 thums up.

First the Haleem - having done a round of various places the verdict is in. The best haleem to be had in Hyderabad is the one dished out by Shahdaab. Today the texture was different, it was smoother than the last time but the taste and flavour were unchanged. The taste is just the right combination of meat + grain + ghee + other goodies that go into it. The concoction is spiced just right not too strong or too mild. The fried onions on top are crisp and crunchy, the pudina (mint) leaves add a wonderfully refreshing tang to the haleem here. The haleem in shahdaab is perfectly blended together the meat is totally dissolved and there are no lumps (rarely one comes across some small fibres of meat) but on the whole cooked to perfection. The ghee content in the haleem here makes its presence felt both in the taste and in the texture. Aah well, till next year.

We followed up the haleem with a dum ka gosht and this was wonderful. The gravy had a great aroma and the taste lived up to the aroma. One thing we noticed at shahdaab is that the meat is always perfectly cooked and there are no underdone pieces. The rotis we ordered to tuck into the gosht were served hot and soft.

The biryani was a definite let-down (now we know why most patrons here order roti + gravy and there is not too much biryani to be seen around). The whole meal was washed down with 3 Thums-up. Total damages = Rs.441/- + tips.

Stuffed to our gills we managed to stagger out and hung around the 'phirni' guy. I am normally not a phirni fan and would avoid the damn thing like the plague but this guy's keshar phirni is to die for and he does make a mean quhbani ka meetha. Soon we started chatting with him and discovered that the stand is by "Royal Sweet House" of Shah Ali Banda. Royal Sweet House has an outlet at Chaderghat too. Unable to muster the courage to try fitting any of those delectable desserts into our stuffed stomachs we got some packed for tomorrow (Rs.120/-). Sunday, here I come!

Friends, as far as I am concerned - old city shall remain out of bounds to mere mortals like me till the Idd is over. I do love the spectacle of the main streets turning into one huge market teeming with men, women and children buying for the festival. I love the smells of the street food, fruit and ittars and love gazing at the stuff on display, the cry of the hawkers in the local lingo (Deccani Urdu if you must give it a name) is sheer music to my ears. Driving there is not a problem but, parking, even a bicycle, is impossible. This means that I shall have to confine myself to the haleem from Hy-line & Sarvi and the Harees from Asian for the next week-end.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 13th September 2009 at 00:54.
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 10:04   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post

"tum longa edhar udhar ghum ke kha pi rahe ho.
uper se pictura bhi post nahi karte ho.
aisa kyu miya?
longa ke dil jala rahe ho."

"agale samay dher saare pictura nikalo aur post karo, miya.
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
We hit Nayab and had a plate of haleem each .
we ordered for one plate of haleem, two rotis, one dum ka mutton and one mutton biryani + 3 thums up.
The best haleem to be had in Hyderabad is the one dished out by Shahdaab.
We followed up the haleem with a dum ka gosht and this was wonderful.
this guy's keshar phirni is to die for and he does make a mean quhbani ka meetha.
Cheers,
pics, sir, pics.
Not showing the pics and just describing the food means giving the crown of Miss world to the beauty without showing her on stage and just describing her feautures.

Yesterday, saw the serial of Mr. Vinod Dua, ''Zayka India ka'' featuring city of Hyderabad and saw the haleem and firni and other stuff.
You hyderabadi lucky guys.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 10:51   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
First the Haleem - having done a round of various places the verdict is in. The best haleem to be had in Hyderabad is the one dished out by Shahdaab. Today the texture was different, it was smoother than the last time but the taste and flavour were unchanged. The taste is just the right combination of meat + grain + ghee + other goodies that go into it. The concoction is spiced just right not too strong or too mild. The fried onions on top are crisp and crunchy, the pudina (mint) leaves add a wonderfully refreshing tang to the haleem here. The haleem in shahdaab is perfectly blended together the meat is totally dissolved and there are no lumps (rarely one comes across some small fibres of meat) but on the whole cooked to perfection. The ghee content in the haleem here makes its presence felt both in the taste and in the texture. Aah well, till next year.
Coincidentally, last night i too went to Shadab. After wetting the innards with a few friends at Central Court in Lakdi-ka-Pul, we decided around 11pm that we need some haleem to round up the evening.

We drove down from the main route which was all through empty and when we near the Purana Pul, it changed to a different world, maddening crowd and from Madina to Shadab ( 100 meters) took us around 20 minutes

Me and 3 of my friends luckily found a seating at Shadab in less than a minute and the ambience is coarse ( this is gentle description..LOL) and that entire area was teeming with people. It's a sight to behold considering you wont see so many heads at the same time and same place.

After quickly settling down, we ordered for the haleem and as Ravvs described, it was the best haleem that i tasted till now in Hyderabad. Smooth texture, delicately flavoured and we bribed the waiter 10 bucks to get us loads of onions on the fly and along with that had Bun and Nahari which was also lovely. I just tasted and liked it but my friends were ga-ga over it.

6 Haleems between the 4 of us. 2 Nahari's and stumbled out to have some Firni. I decided to try the Falooda and asked for the special one and it was not upto the expectation. I always have a hangover of Faloodas of Old City in Delhi and it is hard for anyone to beat that taste.

I have already decided to go back to Shadab again before the festival ends. Great Haleem
Old 13th September 2009, 12:14   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
pics, sir, pics.
Not showing the pics and just describing the food means giving the crown of Miss world to the beauty without showing her on stage and just describing her feautures.

Yesterday, saw the serial of Mr. Vinod Dua, ''Zayka India ka'' featuring city of Hyderabad and saw the haleem and firni and other stuff.
You hyderabadi lucky guys.
LOL! But you have already seen a Video of the food on TV na?
We were only interested in hogging the good food and did not even bother to take out the camera!

Abhi bhi time hai, drive down to Hyderabad before Ramzan ends so that you get to be on the stage along with Miss World!