Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 12th September 2009, 03:25   #166
Senior - BHPian

Sorry i forgot to mention that the main ingredient of falooda is cold milk. (Yaaawn)
G'Nite.... more pics tomorrow
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 09:34   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Damn! The story, the pics, the lingering taste of the sandwich naans, the heavenly aroma of tandoor.... makes me wanna plan another trip! Awesome pics gogi, keep 'em coming!
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 13:34   #168
Senior - BHPian

WOW!! Looks like one crazy meet. Those kababs looks mouth watering.
If I wasn't stuck in office would have been there in one of those pics
Am ain't gonna miss it next time.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 22:18   #169
Team-BHP Support

Delicious!!!

Gogi & Sohail - thanks for taking us around, we would have been quite lost without you guys.

Genesis - thanks for driving us around in the 2nd tour bus!

LETS GO AGAIN!!! A quick feast? Naan sandwiches & mutton rolls. MMmmMMm!
Just say when, and i'm there!

V-16, your narration is hilarious and mouthwatering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
....Screwsgoose....
You mean Sprucegoose

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 00:11   #170
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Delicious!!!

Gogi & Sohail - thanks for taking us around, we would have been quite lost without you guys.

Genesis - thanks for driving us around in the 2nd tour bus!

You mean Sprucegoose

cya
R

I think he meant ScrewsGeese!! Rehaan, I agree with the idea of going again..But this time, I WANT THE DAMN SHEEKH KABBABS!!
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 14:51   #171
BHPian

Unhappy

Yaarrrr...wish I was in India to be a part of this very happening meet.
Just look at the overwelming turnout in the group snap!! am not able to make the final head count...can anyone tell me how many BHP-ites were a party to this amazing meet.

Feel very sorry to have missed it....so would be for the Lonavla meet!!
Sunilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 22:02   #172
Senior - BHPian

Default Food Trail Continued.....2......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Delicious!!!
You mean Sprucegoose
cya
R
Lets!! How about starting from Crawford Market Sheekh walla and heading for the nan sandwich walla, finishing it with the khicchda.

DD was a tad disappointing IMHO. I think its best to go there in a small group.

yes i meant Sprucegoose, sorry Shekhar, was not intentional. just didnt bother to check the spelling.

Food Trail Continued........2.........

When we reached the parking lot, we found that one of our friends had locked himself out of his car with the keys inside. Happens to everybody at sometime i guess.

After a lot of trying a local guy was called by a woman urchin on her cell phone. (Cellphones have come a long way in India) but he could not do anything. So some of us left and some stayed back to accompany the others from the car) We let Sohail take us to Bohari Mohalla through the many bylanes of this area as there was killing traffic all around. Thanks to Sohail, two Innovas full of people were able to cruise through the crowded streets ad also find parking in this crowded place.

We parked around Pakmodia Street famous during the "D" gang days as the gang's hideout street. Now a very serene place, thank God.

To get here, one takes the Mohd. Ali road (presuming you are travelling towards Crawford Market) and passes the JJ hospital intersection. Ahead frfom the Bhendi Bazaar intersection, where the road turns a bit, take a u turn and come on the opposite side till you see the Saifee Ambulance board and ambulances parked on the road outside a small intersection.

Take this road inside and park wherever you can. The rest of the journey do on foot. All these places are close.

Idris Cold drink house is the place we went to first as this shuts down early.

Idris is the name of the owner's son who will serve you great drinks with a smile.. There are two brothers whose name i do not recall but they are always there, at least one of them is to attend to the customers.

The sherbets to try here are; the rose (with milk or water), the Variali (Saunf), Rimzim (a soda based, sour and Jeera flavoured drink), Daadam (Pomegranate) and a host of other flavours, some common, some not so common.

Tejas, Genesis, Rice_tuner, Shivshankar and Dippy pose at the Idris Cold Drinks shop.

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07592-large.jpg

Idris is on the right hand corner of the frame, supervising the making of all these refreshing drinks

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07594-large.jpg

There was a virtual crowd at the small shop by the team-bhpians. Addy, and Tejas enjoying their concoctions while the others scramble to get their flavours.

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07595-large.jpg

Some of us who were done with our part of the refreshers, headed towards the Khichda or Haleem walla but to our disappointment he was sold out for the day. Two places of high interest were not available. We have to go there again.

Kartik was visibly disturbed to find the Khichdawalla's wares out of stock. He had to be throughly consoled for a while untill he was taken to the Roll walla

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07613-large.jpg

These are some pics from last years food trail for the benefit of those who couldn't sample it in this trip. Served from this hot cauldron in small katoris, it is garnished with a huge of fresh lemon and topped with slivers fried onions, coriander and a teaspoon on desi ghee (optional but recommended)

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc04684-large.jpg
Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc04686-large.jpg

We wandered to the Nan Sandwich and Roll walla. Its just about three or four shops down the street, next to Tawakkal Sweets and in between Idris and the Khichdawalla The shop has no name or board, its recognized by the huge tawa where all kinds of goodies are being prepared. Here let your nose be the guide. Follow the great aroma of food being tawa fried and you will be there i guarantee you.

I choose to call it, for lack of a suitable word....
The pseudonymous Tawa Eatery

Everything here is served with sliced onions and quartered lemons garnished with chopped coriander. Needless to say we were so hungry that a few started on this accompaniment.

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07597-large.jpg

We ordered, Rolls and Nan Sandwiches. Both varieties are available, veg and non veg. For the two vegetarians, we ordered the ved roll and sandwich........

....which was almost immediately rejected by the carnivores (the majority) of the group

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07599-large.jpg

Shrikant on the other hand being a herbivore, seemed to enjoy the veg treat.

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07609-large.jpg

I believe that a lot of you enjoy the expressive pictures of food being prepared so i will take this opportunity and take you guys through the process in a few items.

This is the process of the Nan Sandwich being made. The Vegetarian Variety.
Basically a Nan is a flattish type of bread which resembles the burger bun. Two such breads are taken and the stuffing of choice is placed in between them, in this case mashed potatoes and vegetables.

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc04692-large.jpg
Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc04693-large.jpg

This is then placed in the Tawa to roast for a bit, till the required texture is obtained, which is a little crisp coating.

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc04694-large.jpg
Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc04695-large.jpg
Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07604-large.jpg

This is then cut into four equal portions and served. The Non veg variety is filled with Mutton or Chicken, as you like and prepared inthe same way.

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07605-large.jpg

Here some Mutton Bhuna is being heated .....

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07600-large.jpg

....And is served with some pao also heated on the tawa. Shall we call it Tawa mutton Pao Bhaji??

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07602-large.jpg

Hang on.... more coming in the next post.....

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th September 2009 at 18:33. Reason: Unidentified member identified.
Old 14th September 2009, 22:07   #173
Senior - BHPian

The Roll is a piece of elastic dough beaten till it attains ultra thin consistency.

This is then lined with a prepared beaten egg...we can use the term omelette and preprepared Mutton masala pieces, splashed liberally with white vinegar as can be seen,....

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07610-large.jpg
Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07603-large.jpg

... and rolled , yet again.....

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07611-large.jpg

...and shallow fried on the tawa to a crisp exterior.

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07596-large.jpg

Finally, adept hands slice it into equal bite sized pieces and it is served.

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07606-large.jpg

To be polished off with equal adeptness...

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07601-large.jpg

See the happy faces after this part of the trail.

Mumbai - Ramadaan Meet 2009 EDIT: 9th Sept-dsc07614-large.jpg

I made sure people did not eat a lot (its not easy, not to wolf these down to fill yourself) as we had to head to Delhi Darbar for the finale.

.....to be continued....in part 3
Old 15th September 2009, 09:47   #174
BHPian

Fantastic narration Gogi Sir, with an equally absorbing pictorial guide to the night-out.

If comfortable with the idea, Gogi Sir we should start this venture for other popular eataries around Mumbai night-life as well. With you guiding us, am sure there will be a select few (atleast) who will cherish the tour.

And post retirement, you could also pen a Gogi Food-Guide to keep up the flavour,as well.
SRShrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 10:53   #175
BHPian

Quote:

We parked around Pakmodia Street famous during the "D" gang days as the gang's hideout street. Now a very serene place, thank God.

To get here, one takes the Mohd. Ali road (presuming you are travelling towards Crawford Market) and passes the JJ hospital intersection. Ahead frfom the Bhendi Bazaar intersection, where the road turns a bit, take a u turn and come on the opposite side till you see the Saifee Ambulance board and ambulances parked on the road outside a small intersection.
A good trick for those coming from South Bombay (given the crazy traffic on Mohammedali Road near the Minara Masjid Area and beyond) is to take the Mohammedali Road flyover all the way from VT and then make a U turn when it ends. (It is close to the JJ hospital intersection.) Then follow Gogi's directions.

How do i know? I went back with family. Haleem guy was still sold out and the sheek guy at crawford market was sold out even at 9.30. The rolls and nan sandwich made the return trip worth it . Next time I am going to be in line at 6.30 pm!
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 18:36   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lets!! How about starting from Crawford Market Sheekh walla and heading for the nan sandwich walla, finishing it with the khicchda.
Lets do it! You name the night.

I'm sure there will be enough participants yet again, after your very detailed display here!

(Im dying for the naan sandwiches and mutton rolls!)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 18:54   #177
Senior - BHPian

Arent these rolls available throughtout the year? i remember hogging these many years back in Bhendi Bazaar.
heavy_foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 22:32   #178
BHPian

hahaha screwsgoose... nice one [its a more apt pet name though, i'm quite adept at screwing up almost anything ] ...no offence taken, had a good laugh though.

I'm all recovered now, so I am on.
Just let me know & i'll be there...
I want to go right now...
and probably tomorrow also
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 17:00   #179
BHPian

Let me know too whenever there is a next trip, i will be going today though, like i did yesterday, day before and the day before and the week before. lols
SohailPistawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 17:27   #180
BHPian

when... where... i'll be there... post 9 pm hopefully
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote