Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Closed Thread

Old 15th December 2010, 16:40   #1261
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mother of all drive meets - any takers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I put before the fun-loving & adventourous lot known as the Hydeez, a drive to beat all drives, a whopping trip that is bound to be as challenging as it will be fun, a fascinating & monumentous road trip consisting of -

10 days, 5000 km (3000 M), fab roads through plains, mountains, deserts, crossing and passing rivers and lakes, flitting across time zones.

I got a fab invitation yesterday and was wondering if anyone else is interested in a drive from coast to coast. We can do it in spring/summer 2010 or 2011.
I think you meant 2011 or 2012.

I would be interested if someone is sponsor my Flight ticket. Heck, I'll bear the flight tickets even. But someone needs to help me get my Passport renewed first

Cheers
Old 15th December 2010, 17:32   #1262
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Mother of all drive meets - any takers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
10 days, 5000 km (3000 M), fab roads through plains, mountains, deserts, crossing and passing rivers and lakes, flitting across time zones.
That sounds like a NY-LA cannonball run. If yes, the bare minimum cost will be something like this :-

Rs.70K for ticket and visa
Rs.1.25 Lakh for all other expenses

Final Damage : Rs.2 Lakhs

Ravvs, i dont know anyone else with such deep pockets apart from you.
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:47   #1263
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad Meet Thread: All meets from May'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
whats with the OT guys!

So what plans for New Years ? Anyone aware of major do's to happen at that time, do let me know, we're looking out for a open air kinda venue. Else.......me thinks its going to be BnC for the new yrs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Based on the prelim discussions with a few TBHPians today at the OTR, this idea seems to be acceptable.

Here are the details

What: TBHP Hyderabad - New Year Eve Meet
Where: Beach Fire @ Suryalanka Beach
When: Leave Hyd 30/31 Dec and Back 1/2nd Jan

Confirmed Names:
  1. MileCruncher +1
  2. Pulsar56
  3. Ravveendraa
Please add your names and copy above.

This is intended to be a family affair so please bring your family if you can.

Cheers
Guys any updates on the plan for New Year's eve? Right now I am still clueless what I am going to do :(. Seems like most of the crowd from Hyderabad is already out of the city.
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:31   #1264
BHPian

No updates as to what people did on New Year's. How about a first Drive in The New Year.

Is Suryalanka plan still on? I wish do it in the coming week(Jan 8-9) as a test drive for Hyd-Vizag during the Sankranti long weekend(Jan 14-16), but have no clue about accommodation in Suryalanka. Called AP Tourism's Haritha resort but was told they are fully booked till the last week of Jan. Is there any other place in Suryalanka where I could park myself for the night?

If accommodation can be sorted, we could have a good weekend drive to get started in the new year. What Say?

MaSh
Old 4th January 2011, 15:28   #1265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
If accommodation can be sorted, we could have a good weekend drive to get started in the new year. What Say?
I will not call a drive on the Hyderabad - Vijayawada highway a "good" one.

I heard that the alternate route to Guntur isn't that great either, but at least it shouldn't be as tortuous (far less traffic).

Regards,
spadix
Old 4th January 2011, 16:32   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
It actually depends on which vehicle you are in. Even though via Guntur is better than NH-9 but NH-9 is not that bad either.

@Mash: I had a good New Year celebration. Arcot can vouch for it I hope .

I don't think Suryalanka is one of the agenda of anyone as the calendar already seems to be full. I myself am travelling to Badami for some rock climbing for the Sankranti weekend hence not available.
Old 4th January 2011, 16:51   #1267
BHPian

Quote:

I heard that the alternate route to Guntur isn't that great either, but at least it shouldn't be as tortuous (far less traffic).

Regards,
spadix
Yes Team Bhp tells me there are 3 routes. I intend to take this one, as I have heard its decently marked and road condition isn't that bad. Volvos and others would be used to improve my negotiating skills.

And yes, in due course, I would be trying out all available routes.

Quote:
It actually depends on which vehicle you are in. Even though via Guntur is better than NH-9 but NH-9 is not that bad either.

@Mash: I had a good New Year celebration. Arcot can vouch for it I hope .

I don't think Suryalanka is one of the agenda of anyone as the calendar already seems to be full. I myself am travelling to Badami for some rock climbing for the Sankranti weekend hence not available.
Would be driving in my Esteem. Well is the road worse than Hyderabad - Nagarjuna Sagar Single-lane Two-way highway with pot holes and loose stones?

@MC: Oh wonderful. What were you upto? I have been having a good time all December. Started off with my Wedding in Kanpur on 24 Dec, followed by entire jing bang in Vizag for New Year's. It was wonderful.

Suryalanka seems full, hence there could be change in plans to Amravathi. Basically this drive is a test drive for the Sankranti weekend drive to Vizag. If anyone interested, could join me on that one too.

Intention is to DRIVE every WEEKEND. Bangalore next in line.

MaSh
Old 4th January 2011, 21:21   #1268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bad roads are only one part of the equation. And also the least of my worries. Compared to Kurnool - Nandyal, for instance, NH9 is "smooth" . Other than the sound of the suspension bottoming out some 3-4 times the surface wasn't the biggest problem.

Density of traffic and the plainly dangerous driving of most of that traffic is the bigger concern.

VJA (from just before Ibrahimpatnam) to Hyd (LB Nagar-ORR X roads) took me a little less than 7 hrs including a one hour break for lunch at 7 -- absolutely vital to recharge yourself in the midst of the torture (and one hour lost due to TDP demonstrations at Ibrahimpatnam and Kodada). While on the move hardly 10 vehicles must've passed me (mostly Innovas and the odd private car) so it wasn't as if I was mind-numbingly slow either.

I'm sorry, but 5 hrs for around 230 kms on a *highway* that isn't a ghat road, isn't exactly fun.

Regards,
spadix
Old 6th January 2011, 00:21   #1269
BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
spadix
Oh the NH-9 is 10 times better now when compared to the Guntur route via nalgonda. The Road was damaged due to the recent cyclones and has craters the size of swimming pools. I went in the first week of Dec. The roads have been damaged to an extent that in some stretches you have to search for roads. It took us 2 hrs to cover 40 Km. And I don't think they have been repaired so fast.
Old 10th January 2011, 12:27   #1270
Team-BHP Support

New Meet thread for 2011 up here :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post2203841

Closing this thread!!!!
Closed Thread