Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:27   #121
BHPian
 
Alter_Ego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 443
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Why is this thread so dead?? I mean I don't see the usual pre-trip excitement here.
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 16:47   #122
BHPian
 
inder_s1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 238
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Why is this thread so dead?? I mean I don't see the usual pre-trip excitement here.<img src="images/smilies/Frustration.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Frustration" smilieid="23" class="inlineimg" />
<br />
<br />
Hey Buddy,<br />
<br />
I agree with ya. Wake up folks(this INCLUDES MYSELF)...where are the long trip do's &amp; don'ts ....the list of essentials stuff we need to carry with us.<br />
<br />
The meeting point, fund transfer, stop points enroute, convoy leader, photographers etc...<br />

WAKEY WAKEY from slumber !!

Last edited by inder_s1 : 3rd June 2010 at 16:49.
inder_s1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:08   #123
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

All the best team. Few pointers from me. Weather is still hot in coastal but rain is expected anytime. I think it will greet you people!

Good bunks as per my experience:

1. IOC 1km after Shimoga city on Sagar road left side.
2. HP bunk left side moment you join NH17 from Jog
3. BP bunk right side moment you are about to leave NH17 towards Gokarna.

There is storm threat in west coast, so when you venture into sea take care!! Do plan to visit JOG and Sharavati Valley view on the way to honnavara from JOG.

Few kilometers after JOG there are few small shops where you get biscuits/tea/coeffe etc. Most of the private buses stop there. Take a break where there is such shop/buses. Avoid stopping in lone places/villages/towns. Even during night time people will be awake around Shimoga, so drive carefully!! Between JOG-Honnavara watch of rare wild animals.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 17:13   #124
BHPian
 
Alter_Ego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 443
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
All the best team. Few pointers from me. Weather is still hot in coastal but rain is expected anytime. I think it will greet you people!

Good bunks as per my experience:

1. IOC 1km after Shimoga city on Sagar road left side.
2. HP bunk left side moment you join NH17 from Jog
3. BP bunk right side moment you are about to leave NH17 towards Gokarna.

There is storm threat in west coast, so when you venture into sea take care!! Do plan to visit JOG and Sharavati Valley view on the way to honnavara from JOG.

Few kilometers after JOG there are few small shops where you get biscuits/tea/coeffe etc. Most of the private buses stop there. Take a break where there is such shop/buses. Avoid stopping in lone places/villages/towns. Even during night time people will be awake around Shimoga, so drive carefully!! Between JOG-Honnavara watch of rare wild animals.

Regards,

Ravi.
Thanks Ravi sir for the tips.

Also as Inder mentioned do we need to carry anything considering the drive would take almost 9 hours for us to reach there.So any handy things which we should carry along ?
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:33   #125
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 292 Times
Default

We should carry lots of water, as during a long night drive, its required. And few medicines like disprine/paracitamol etc, glucose.

After we reach Tumkur or on NH4, if there is a petrol pump open, we should top up the tanks, as during mid-night chances are less that we get fuel stations open.

And yes you might notice wild animals arround Jog & Honnavar if you are lucky(and after Nagarahole you guys know who is the lucky guy for spotting wild animals).

Storm warning is within 2/3 days so hopefully it will be over when we go there, but yes I have a feeling that we might see an all gun blessing JOG falls.

So Alter where is the dinner point? Kamath or A1?
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:51   #126
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default

Saw this thread just now , All the best to all travellers.


To be frank I have never been in any T-BHP meet till now as I have just returned from a long trip this weekend can not join you guys .

Just a tip use NH7 - Daudballapur - Dobbaspet - NH4- Tumkur route I just traveled using this route and saved a lot of time. Daudballapur - Dobbaspet NH207 is 2 lane without divider but you can do 80 -100 easily
where as on Bangalore - neelmangla - tumkur traffic just crawls
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 19:07   #127
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 292 Times
Default

Alter if you are free this weekend we can check few alternet route to reach NH 4, one is suggested by Amit, other one by DD, from Hebbal, continue on Tumkur Road, reach BEL Circle, then take right and Jalahalli Rd, and join NH4 after Peneya Junction.
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 20:14   #128
BHPian
 
deepakchiniwal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 347
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Here is the plan according to me.

1. Meeting / strating point @ hebbal flyover @ 8 PM
2. Start to Drive towards Yelhankha @ 8.30 PM, reach doddaballapur, from Doddaballapur it is Dobaspete, Join NH4 (STOP 1, for roll call), hit Tumkur
3. Petrol / Diesel Top up's @ tumkur and final roll call and STOP 2.
4. Drive with average speed of 70 - 90 Km/hr and try to be in reaching distance between each members. Since its night drive, it would be best if we drive in Convoy with the most powerful headlights taking the lead
5. Will reach shimoga between 2.30 - 4.00 AM depending on the road and assuming no traffic. Make a stop for little Chai (STOP 3)
6. Hit the road to Sagara @ 4.00 AM. Distance is about 70 kms from Shimoga. Should hit Sagara by 5.15 AM. Drive towards Jog. Do we?

Beyond this is new to me. @Asdon, please take over from here.
deepakchiniwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2010, 21:18   #129
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 292 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Here is the plan according to me.

1. Meeting / strating point @ hebbal flyover @ 8 PM
2. Start to Drive towards Yelhankha @ 8.30 PM, reach doddaballapur, from Doddaballapur it is Dobaspete, Join NH4 (STOP 1, for roll call), hit Tumkur
3. Petrol / Diesel Top up's @ tumkur and final roll call and STOP 2.
4. Drive with average speed of 70 - 90 Km/hr and try to be in reaching distance between each members. Since its night drive, it would be best if we drive in Convoy with the most powerful headlights taking the lead
5. Will reach shimoga between 2.30 - 4.00 AM depending on the road and assuming no traffic. Make a stop for little Chai (STOP 3)
6. Hit the road to Sagara @ 4.00 AM. Distance is about 70 kms from Shimoga. Should hit Sagara by 5.15 AM. Drive towards Jog. Do we?

Beyond this is new to me. @Asdon, please take over from here.
Great plan Deepak, but you missed the dinner part.

As per your plan we will reach Shimoga before 4am, as the night traffic is almost nill on that road. You take the lead from Bangalore, and take the by-pass before Bhadrabati. We all will go in convoy. From Sagar, Jog falls will be on the road to Honnavar so no major route change, just a km inside the ghat. And depending on the weather I am expecting fog during early morning arround Jog. Then to Honnavar, we continue on the same road. Its 66 km but this is the road where we need to drive very carefully, as we will be crossing the western ghats.

Last edited by asdon : 3rd June 2010 at 21:25.
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 12:20   #130
BHPian
 
rk_sans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 929
Thanked: 271 Times
Default

Guys,
As far as i know there are hardly any petrol bunk's in Tumkur which are open all through the night. Ensure to fill it in Bangalore and next stop would be somewhere after Shimoga as mentioned by Ravi Bhat.
And as mentioned by Avjith, expect fog enroute to Jog. There are couple of kms of twisty roads and fog would effect your drive, so careful.
Have a great trip !
rk_sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 15:40   #131
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Good planing, please keep torch/battery with you I know you will. No threat from Storm so one good news. Rain is expected to start in few hours. So enjoy the drive. Careful with FOG. There will be stationary vehicles on the road so watch out.

Few curvings you need to watch out!! Enjoy Foggy JOG and sharavathy valley in the morning and while coming back If you come by same route make sure you stop again there in both the places.

Private buses leave bangalore majestic area by 8PM and reach Shimoga by 2pm and Kumta by 6am with 75 to 100 minutes break in between. I think you can cover with same speed. If you need any assistance do get in touch with me, I will be happy to assist you.

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 15:53   #132
BHPian
 
deepakchiniwal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 347
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Thanks Ravi Sir, please PM me and Asdon your number. I hope you will not mind us calling very early morning if at we need assistance

With all the information we have, i guess we may not disturb you
deepakchiniwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 16:02   #133
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 292 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Thanks Ravi Sir, please PM me and Asdon your number. I hope you will not mind us calling very early morning if at we need assistance

With all the information we have, i guess we may not disturb you
I have Ravi's number, will with you Deepak.
@RK - We will fill the tanks in Bangalore itself, but if we see anything open near Tumkur, will top it up, as by tumkur, 6ltrs will be gone
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 19:33   #134
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 292 Times
Default

Good news guys, it has started raining in Shimoga-Honnavar region, so Jog falls will be at full swing. And the sky is going to be cloudy, so Gokarna beach will be a paradise, no sun burn.
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2010, 20:40   #135
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 682
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

I am so jealous now. But I have become a workoholic off late. Guess June will keep me busy that way. Anyways, you guys have a great time! Drive safe and be good!
rjalihal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solo 2000 km road-trip in my Jazz: Mumbai- Gokarna- Maravanthe- Jog Falls- Murudeshwar- Dandeli- Goa tazmaan Travelogues 22 18th December 2015 15:14
My Hyderabad-Bangalore-Coorg-Dharmashtala-Udipi-Gokarna-Jog Falls trip in Sx4 dilsoft Travelogues 15 13th September 2014 12:24
2008 yearend trip - Sirsi, Yana, Gokarna, Kumta, Murudeshwar, Jog falls and some more stopOKgo Travelogues 8 1st March 2010 12:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks