Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section

Old 10th November 2005, 08:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Nov 6: TBHP Toronto Meet & Drive (with Pics)

Hey guys, Team-BHP's first international meet happened on a super windy day, i.e. Sunday November 6, 2005 in Toronto, Canada. Not only was this Team-Bhp's first international meet but also the smallest but it's a start and thats what matters isnt it? So here is how it all happened.
Devarshi (team-bhp id Devarshi84) and me had planned to meet a week back on October 30 but both of us had prior engagements so that meet never happened. On Saturday, Nov 4, when i logged onto this site, I got devarshi's pm suggesting that we meet up on sunday if i was free. Sure enough, I was free the next day and called him at about 11 am and we decided to meet up at 12.30pm. Yup, that was it, just me and devarshi, and that probably is the reason why the meet could be arranged in 60 seconds with just one phone call!. But then a team-bhp meet can never be complete without a car. I had a VW Jetta 1.8T for the weekend, which I must say is a bloody FUN car to drive. So anyway, we were supposed to meet in downtown, since devarshi happens to stay there. I drove down and at about 1pm, I was waiting for him to come down. Now we didn't have any plan on what were going to do or where we were going to hang out. But the advantage was that it was just 2 of us, so we knew deciding a minor issue like this wouldn't be a problem at all. Once we met up, we decided to drive down back to Fairview mall, which happens to be right across the street from where I live but to get to the Don Valley Parkway (DVP) which would take us to the mall, we had to drive through the maze that is downtown Toronto. Anyway, talking about cars and canadian weather (remember it was super windy that day), we made our way to Fairview mall. Once there, we decided to take Japanese lunch and head to my home to have it and talk some more about cars. Now let me say that uptil now, we were not planning on any drive. This was supposed to be just a meet. At my place, my phone rang and it was my friend from Mississauga and he asked me if I wanted to come down. Now a 45kms drive for 2 team-bhpian's in a 1.8T VW Jetta was too tempting an offer to resist. On the spur of the moment both me and devarshi decided to head to Missisauga. It would be a good drive and we could also do some exotic car spotting and post some pics on here. Before we headed out we decided to click some pics to share them with you guys.

Thats me with the Jetta. Pic taken in the parking lot outside my house.

Devarshi with the Jetta in the same parking lot.

After this round of photo session, we decided to head to Missisauga. It was about 2.30-3.00pm by the time we started our drive. It takes about 10 minutes from my house to get to the 401 and once there we picked up speed. The 1.8T Jetta picking up speed effortlessly. Oh, the car was manual too so that was extra fun too. Since it was a Sunday afternoon, traffic on the normally super busy 401 was thin although it did get a bit busy at patches.We kept looking out for some exotic machines, but none were passing us. Since we were in no particular hurry, speed was limited to 110-120kmph. Some more pics to share with you guys.

Sunday traffic was thin on the normally choc-o-bloc 401. Note how gloomy and dark it was at 3 pm in the afternoon. Man, the weather was horrid that day. There were heavy crosswinds and it took some effort to keep the Jetta pointed straight. Honest! I am not exgerrarating. Apparently, the weather network later said it was the effect of the Tornando that swept through some states of US earlier in the day. Anyway, take a look at the pic.

However, it was not smooth driving all the way. There were some heavy traffic patches that we hit like this one. Note the swanky white car ahead of us.

Talking about cars and the indian car scene, I remember devarshi telling me about how pathetic and arrogant the honda dealer is in Ahmedabad, we made our way to Aseem's house in Missisauga. The small stretch of 403 was despatched in scant respect by the Jetta. The 1.8T is such a monster thats it's hard to keep the car around 120kmph. It actually feels like the engine is just beginning to warm up at that speeds! In the Jetta, the turbo engine develops 180hp compared to 150hp in the Indian Octavia RS.
Pic of 403 below.

After we pulled into Aseem's parking lot in Missisauga we decided to take some more pictures.

Me with the Jetta again. The car has the Sports Package which consists of 17" Alloys with sports susspension.

Devarishi with the Jetta. I love the design of the car. This body shape was introduced in 1999 and the car still looks great, thanks to those clean timeless European lines. A Jap, Korean or Amercian design of 1999 looks ancient in comparision.

Amit, you've pasted the above pic twice. Devarishi with the Jetta pic is missing here

In the Parking lot we actually spotted some nice cars that we clicked. I am posting the pics a little later. Anyway, back of Aseem's house, Dev and Me helped my friend set up his new satellite dish antenna and also caught some hindi movies and programming. We saw Khuda Gawah in bits and pieces and trailors of new hindi movies.Around 7.45pm, we made our way back to Toronto but all in all it was a great meet and drive to have. On our way back, the new BMW 330 and a Infiniti G35 sedan crossed us and I remember me and Dev talking about where the hell were this beember and infiniti in the day time!
Sure we were just 2 of us but we know there are more members close to us and we plan to meet up with them soon.

Anyway, this post is getting long and boring, so I am gonna end for now. I am posting pics of some cars we clicked in a separate post.
It was good to share this meet with you guys. Hope you guys don't get too bored reading this long post!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th November 2005 at 06:47.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2005, 08:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Pics of some cool cars we spotted:

1. Jaguar

2. BMW

3. Smart

Old 10th November 2005, 10:20   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice dudes. Team-BHP meets are going places and all over the world.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2005, 10:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thats the spirit, guys! Organize a meet even if there are just two of you!

Time to pull that Catamaran out of the warm waters of the gulf and plan out a meet...
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2005, 11:19   #5
Team-BHP Support

Good stuff guys! But I thought there were a few more people near Toronto?!?

Quote:
Team-BHP's first international meet happened on a super windy day, i.e. Sunday November 6, 2005 in Toronto, Canada.
Actually, this was the second International meet. Deeps and me had a similar mini-meet way back in Feb this year.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2005, 14:34   #6
Joz
BHPian

Default Good going!!

[quote=amit] Note the swanky white car ahead of us.

Thts an embera right? Do you see a lot of them out there?

I almost swooned when i read Chabbria on the Smart. Good to see its not.

Great going guys. I am yet to make it to a meet in Bangalore!!!
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2005, 15:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure we were just 2 of us but we know there are more members close to us and we plan to meet up with them soon
hey hey hey !!!
am in Windsor that sucks ..damn you T dot people !!!... we just dont have a car this year and i am not dating anybody who has a car either !...
I was certainly a great idea to have the first Intl T-bhp meet...hope to be part of it someday soon..we can have a full on road trip straight up to montreal or niagra someday...
who else is from ontario here ????

cheers
turbo_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2005, 23:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, this was the second International meet. Deeps and me had a similar mini-meet way back in Feb this year.
Oh yea, RTech, I remember reading about the Paris meet. So this was the second international meet then.

Quote:
Thts an embera right? Do you see a lot of them out there?
I wouldn't say I have seen a lot of them. It's not like the new Sonata has taken the Canadian market by storm buy I have seen more of these then the old Jag/Merc Sonata! The new Sonata is really changing the way the world looks at Hyundai.

Quote:
we can have a full on road trip straight up to montreal or niagra someday...
Hey turbo, I told Dev about you and we were wondering when more of us can meet up. it will be fun. We can go to Niagra in the spring and maybe a drive to Montreal next summer for the grand pirx! Ambylimo is in barrie so that's 4 of us in Ontario so far.
Old 10th November 2005, 23:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Hey turbo, I told Dev about you and we were wondering when more of us can meet up. it will be fun. We can go to Niagra in the spring and maybe a drive to Montreal next summer for the grand pirx! Ambylimo is in barrie so that's 4 of us in Ontario so far.
yeah ...we could manage that ..
i should be in toronto during the summers too ... so lot closer that way ..
Old 10th November 2005, 23:35   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey turbo-lover, was in Detroit until recently man. We were practically neighbours.

Amit, will let you know about my Toronto plans and we can all have another meet.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2005, 01:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yeah guys,

just logged in. this T-bhp meet was an excellent one though it was only the two of us. The windy day didnt exactly favour us but we were decided on having a meeting after the first week. that Jettas engine is really a gem I must tell you.

We had some jap food at Amits house during the meet(courtest:- Amit). I hope that he next time we meet the numbers increase.

Thanks for cheering up guys.

Devarshi
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2005, 01:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Hey turbo-lover, was in Detroit until recently man. We were practically neighbours.

Amit, will let you know about my Toronto plans and we can all have another meet.
hey ...

thats great man ... unfortunately i am still waiting on my canadian passport and i dont have an US visa ..but if we are heading up to toronto and you have a ride we can surely have a scene ... my house is like 2 mins from the detroit river/border ...
we definately have to hit it out for montreal ,but something before dat too as
soon as the snow clears up ...

@devarish - the the 1.8T is a blast i heard ...was it the 6 speed?

cheers

Last edited by turbo_lover : 11th November 2005 at 01:38.
Old 11th November 2005, 11:30   #13
BHPian

That was a nice report and great pics. Good to see that Team-BHP meets are going inernational.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2005, 17:36   #14
BHPian

hey guys its great to know team-bhp has gone global.hope such meets take place at different parts of the globe too!!
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 00:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amit, you've pasted the above pic twice. Devarishi with the Jetta pic is missing here
Oh damn! sorry about that! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Dev's pic is now posted here.

P.S. Sorry about the not so good pic quality. Brickbats to Dev as it was his camera phone . Weather was horrible too, making it difficult to hold the phone still! Honest!

Last edited by amit : 12th November 2005 at 00:48.